Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

Bury

This thread currently has 32,020 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
August 28, 2019, 11:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
My view is clubs should not be rewarded for failure  by not being relegated when finishing in the bottom 2 or 4.

Letting more clubs gain promotion will bring more meaningful matches and more excitement to the end of the season games.

Why should the bottom 2 in our division escape relegation because 2 teams in League one  go bust ?

In the future I  hope clubs will have to prove where the money is coming from before they sign a player so this situaction does not occur again too many clubs just allow the debt to build and build until it becomes impposible to manage,Stricter rules must apply but are the EFL strong enough to  install them.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 160
GrimRob
August 28, 2019, 11:45am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
In the past year or so, British football has lost North Ferriby, Selkirk, Thamesmead Town, Street and Bury. Losing teams is bad for the fans of the teams concerned obviously and it also devalues the league as it makes relegation harder and means season ticket holders lose games they expected to see and have paid for.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 121 - 160
Ipswin
August 28, 2019, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think it will be interesting to see how the EFL deal with Bolton if they don't find a buyer. I can't see them treating Bolton like little Bury somehow.

Their deadline will continue to be extended as long as Bolton keep claiming (truthfully or otherwise)  that a deal is in the offing.

The EFL are not going to kick out a club which until recently was a Premier League and Championship side with a nice (relatively) new big stadium (as opposed to little old Gigg Lane) who, with the exception of the cup tie, have so far fulfilled their fixtures (however unsuccessfully) and who are not owned by a man villified by the press and depicted as the devil himself like the Bury fella has been.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Bolton expelled and folded but I just hope all clubs in this awful situation (and there will be more) are treated equally

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 160
Malta_Mariner_90
August 28, 2019, 12:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Well the EFL have set the precedent now so expect Bolton are in serious risk as well. However they must be in a better position than Bury though otherwise why where they allowed to start the season and Bury not?

If they were kicked out as well and there is no relegation from L2 it will be a very odd season in our division indeed.

Will it lead to more attacking football as nobody has to fear relegation/less pressure?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 160
cmackenzie4
August 28, 2019, 12:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Well put RichMariner

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 160
Heisenberg
August 28, 2019, 12:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
One thing is for sure, if I was a player I would be getting my agent to ensure there's a clause in my contract that states if the club I join miss even one payment of wages, I can leave as a free agent at my will if I so choose to.  In fact, the EFL should make sure this is a legal requirement.  The way Bury and Macclesfield, for example, have left their players almost destitute has to stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 160
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2019, 12:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I think it is more that they allowed Day and then Dale to have ownership of them in the first place. Bit like the Leyton O owner before they got rid of him in the conference. Day and Dale both have "interesting" track records in business which mainly seems to involve the businesses they purchase closing. Low and behold Bury go that way as well.

I agree with you that at some point there have to be consequences for financial mismanagement. Despite all the checks from the EFL etc. there is really no stopping any owner from pulling the plug if they are forced to. Look at Notts C for example they very nearly went pop this summer as well.

The classic example for me were Rushden & Diamonds (the original FGR), a rich mans toy who simply collapsed after a few years once the money stopped. In that case the EFL would have seen him as a reasonable owner, he built them a nice stadium, even left them around a million when he left. They cannot foresee all these scenarios.

What I guess is galling for fans of Bury is that there are probably just as badly run clubs up and down the country in the EFL but sadly for them the League have shown some back bone in terms of applying their own rules (i.e proof you can actually afford to complete the season ahead), they did their best in extending deadlines but it is clear that it was not going to be resolved any time soon.

Ah, that's another bunch of fans I have no sympathy for. They used to own the club but when some flash harry offered them a spin in his sports car and introduce them to Sven, they couldn't wait to drop their knickers and sell out.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 160
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2019, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Heisenberg
One thing is for sure, if I was a player I would be getting my agent to ensure there's a clause in my contract that states if the club I join miss even one payment of wages, I can leave as a free agent at my will if I so choose to.  In fact, the EFL should make sure this is a legal requirement.  The way Bury and Macclesfield, for example, have left their players almost destitute has to stop.

If a team fails to pay its staff on time then all points gained during that pay period should be docked and given to the team who lost them.  The further down the pyramid you go, the more impact it has on people's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 160
Malta_Mariner_90
August 28, 2019, 1:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Ah, that's another bunch of fans I have no sympathy for. They used to own the club but when some flash harry offered them a spin in his sports car and introduce them to Sven, they couldn't wait to drop their knickers and sell out.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what was really going on there at the time? I mean if the greatest mind in football Sol Campbell was fooled by the then owners then we must be talking some pretty high level confidence tricksters. Looking back the EFL has let pretty much anybody own a Football Club!  

The below is well worth a watch and just shows these kind of things have been going on for years!

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4hNLvZVPM[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 160
diehardmariner
August 28, 2019, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not wanting to play devils advocate to you once again KM, but it wasn't so many years ago that the fans of this club held a decent share stake (thanks to Mike Parker) but under the threat of the sale of the star striker, dropped their proverbial knickers and gave up the stake.  

I know it's different circumstances but both are a case of heart ruling the head?
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 160
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.