Ipswin
August 29, 2019, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what was really going on there at the time? I mean if the greatest mind in football Sol Campbell was fooled by the then owners then we must be talking some pretty high level confidence tricksters. Looking back the EFL has let pretty much anybody own a Football Club!  

The below is well worth a watch and just shows these kind of things have been going on for years!

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4hNLvZVPM[/url]

I hope as he peruses our board that John Fenty has seen and watches this

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 160
diehardmariner
August 29, 2019, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,588
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I agree, it was a major fcuk up in our case too. And a severe case of the heart ruling the head*.

Never should have happened and I don't mind reminding people. 'I told you so.' Our case was probably only different in scale and degree. Different in degree because our Trust kept a significant stake. Different in scale because the prizes on offer were a lot, lot lower. Actually, to be fair to Fenty, he is a genuine fan too, unlike, Munto Finance (was it?) in County's case.

We should remember these cases as warnings

* I like to think on that occasion my heart and head were telling me the same thing. A natural aversion to emotional blackmail, and a cold consideration of the possible outcomes of the decision.

Aye, there but for the grade of God...
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 160
psgmariner
August 29, 2019, 1:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Hastily arranged EFL meeting taking place with bury sale on the agenda. Surely not...

Private Message
Reply: 142 - 160
Heisenberg
August 29, 2019, 1:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,039
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from psgmariner
Hastily arranged EFL meeting taking place with bury sale on the agenda. Surely not...

Why does nobody in society seem to respect a deadline nowadays?  They're out of the League, end of story as far as I'm concerned, and that should be their stance.  If they survive as a club/business and are not liquidated, then great, good for them, but they then have to get their house in order over the next few months and apply to go into non-league for the start of next season, and I mean below Conference North level.  If they're accepted, then hey presto, but they're no longer a league club anymore and should accept it.

The EFL shouldn't have anything to discuss with regards to Bury, Bury need to sort themselves out as a non-league club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 160
Ipswin
August 29, 2019, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Heisenberg

Why does nobody in society seem to respect a deadline nowadays?  They're out of the League, end of story as far as I'm concerned, and that should be their stance.  If they survive as a club/business and are not liquidated, then great, good for them, but they then have to get their house in order over the next few months and apply to go into non-league for the start of next season, and I mean below Conference North level.  If they're accepted, then hey presto, but they're no longer a league club anymore and should accept it.

The EFL shouldn't have anything to discuss with regards to Bury, Bury need to sort themselves out as a non-league club.

A position you will maintain when sorry if, it happens to us?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 160
norfuk mariner
August 29, 2019, 4:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Reprieve rejected by EFL
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 160
Heisenberg
August 29, 2019, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

A position you will maintain when sorry if, it happens to us?

Sort of.  I know what you mean, you're assuming I (and many on here) would become hypocrites, and you may indeed by right, but my God, they've had months to sort this out, in full view of the public eye, and they all of a sudden attract interested bidders an hour before they're chucked out, even another bidder after the deadline!  It's too late.  They were given ages.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be beyond devastated to be in the same situation as the Bury fans, but their situation seems like that of many clubs, yet snowballed multiple times over.  With hindsight, Bury was a complete basket case of a club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 160
rancido
August 29, 2019, 5:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think you’re underestimating people. Not everyone is an ostrich like consumer. If you start signing players a cut above what you’re used to you have an inclination about something. People have access to all sorts of information these days and it only takes a few to find company accounts even if it is a year after the event. And in Bury’s case this has been going on for years.

I'm sure back in 2000/2001 town fans didn't think something was wrong when we signed expensive players on large wages on an average gate of 5,646 .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 160
Heisenberg
August 29, 2019, 6:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I'm sure back in 2000/2001 town fans didn't think something was wrong when we signed expensive players on large wages on an average gate of 5,646 .

It was all good back then, we used to get a fortune from ITV Digital.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 160
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2019, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Probably right. But if anyone has failed to learn the lessons of that 18 years on I have no sympathy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 160
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.