Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 166 Guests

Bury

This thread currently has 32,016 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 10:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Bury thrown out of the FA Cup.

Likely to mean Notts County & Yeovil Town will receive a bye to R1 and not have to play in QR4 like the rest of the National League clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 100 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I think it is more that they allowed Day and then Dale to have ownership of them in the first place. Bit like the Leyton O owner before they got rid of him in the conference. Day and Dale both have "interesting" track records in business which mainly seems to involve the businesses they purchase closing. Low and behold Bury go that way as well.

I agree with you that at some point there have to be consequences for financial mismanagement. Despite all the checks from the EFL etc. there is really no stopping any owner from pulling the plug if they are forced to. Look at Notts C for example they very nearly went pop this summer as well.

The classic example for me were Rushden & Diamonds (the original FGR), a rich mans toy who simply collapsed after a few years once the money stopped. In that case the EFL would have seen him as a reasonable owner, he built them a nice stadium, even left them around a million when he left. They cannot foresee all these scenarios.

What I guess is galling for fans of Bury is that there are probably just as badly run clubs up and down the country in the EFL but sadly for them the League have shown some back bone in terms of applying their own rules (i.e proof you can actually afford to complete the season ahead), they did their best in extending deadlines but it is clear that it was not going to be resolved any time soon.

Like I said in an earlier post, some people make a living out of buying failing businesses, stripping assets and closing them down. Nothing illegal or dodgy in that. Are these people automatically barred from buying a football club?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 10:07am

Whiskey Drinker
And re:Notts County. Alan Hardy lent the club money from one of his businesses. That business collapsed and then the administrator rightly went to Notts County to get the money back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 160
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 28, 2019, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It is very easy to say Bury cheated. It is very easy to say we feel sorry for the fans not the owner. But those fans last year were happy to see the club promoted just as Hull fans were when Phil Brown was splashing enough to bankrupt the club and Leeds fans were when they were going bust on a Euro dream and ....

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
And I see people on twitter moaning that the EFL allowed Steve Dale to buy the club without the full process taking place and in the same breath saying that the EFL should have given Bury another 24 hours to allow a sale. But there's no way a new owner could go through the full process in that time. The EFL can't win.

With hindsight I think the EFL probably should have allowed Bury to collapse last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 104 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 10:15am

Whiskey Drinker
It is very easy to say Bury cheated. It is very easy to say we feel sorry for the fans not the owner. But those fans last year were happy to see the club promoted just as Hull fans were when Phil Brown was splashing enough to bankrupt the club and Leeds fans were when they were going bust on a Euro dream and ....

Personally I have no issue with owners financing clubs as much as they desire, but I don't think it should be allowed to be done in the form of loans (apart from personal loans). i.e. Not from businesses that might collapse and then have administrators pursue the club for huge amounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 160
TownSNAFU5
August 28, 2019, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I was shocked to read that Bury still owed money to 2 ex-managers. One of them Chris Brass.  The amounts were material at lower-league level.  £90k in one case and around 80K for the other.

There should be some checks and balances (somewhere) in place to stop this type of “ongoing debt” being carried forward.  The writing was on the wall before last seasons over-spend.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 160
RichMariner
August 28, 2019, 10:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Poojah
I speak entirely hypothetically here, but if we win promotion this season and then it transpires that we spent 200% of turnover on wages, is that the fault of the fans? Supporters are generally happy when all is good on the pitch, and unhappy when it’s not.

This is interesting.

I do agree — none of us are going to complain about watching a successful side, especially if it earns promotion.

However, personally, I'd feel uncomfortable and nervous if it was made public that we were spending 200% of turnover on wages. The problem is, very few of us know exactly what we're spending at any one time.

If we spent 200% of turnover on wages, it's certainly not the fault of the fans, as Poojah says. That would be the recklessness of the board — but would we have the power to stop it? Would enough of us be bothered? I guess that's the question he's raised.

But as long as the club communicates with the fans in an honest way — and is prepared to share some financial figures — then we are at least given the chance to understand the board's position, i.e. 'We're getting a hammering from the fans because we're only mid-table but we're not prepared to throw money we haven't got at players who might not guarantee us success anyway.'

This is no lack of ambition, but I'd rather my club survive and play at this level while we build sensibly — even if it takes many years — rather than splash the cash on things we can't afford just to appease the section of fans that still thinks we should be 11th in the Championship playing glorious passing football.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 107 - 160
Ipswin
August 28, 2019, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I feel for Paul Wilkinson, the only manager in history to lose his job without ever losing a game

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 160
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 28, 2019, 10:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

This is interesting.

I do agree — none of us are going to complain about watching a successful side, especially if it earns promotion.

However, personally, I'd feel uncomfortable and nervous if it was made public that we were spending 200% of turnover on wages. The problem is, very few of us know exactly what we're spending at any one time.

If we spent 200% of turnover on wages, it's certainly not the fault of the fans, as Poojah says. That would be the recklessness of the board — but would we have the power to stop it? Would enough of us be bothered? I guess that's the question he's raised.

But as long as the club communicates with the fans in an honest way — and is prepared to share some financial figures — then we are at least given the chance to understand the board's position, i.e. 'We're getting a hammering from the fans because we're only mid-table but we're not prepared to throw money we haven't got at players who might not guarantee us success anyway.'

This is no lack of ambition, but I'd rather my club survive and play at this level while we build sensibly — even if it takes many years — rather than splash the cash on things we can't afford just to appease the section of fans that still thinks we should be 11th in the Championship playing glorious passing football.

We would feel unhappy Rich but that is on the Fishy. I suspect the majority of match day attendees are only interested in the league table. They could not give a monkey's about the niceties of percentages spent on wages until the sh!t hits the fan and the club is going kaput.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 160
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.