TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 28, 2019, 1:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Ah, that's another bunch of fans I have no sympathy for. They used to own the club but when some flash harry offered them a spin in his sports car and introduce them to Sven, they couldn't wait to drop their knickers and sell out.

We have had calls on the Fishy a few times for some sort of fan based buy out scheme and people have pointed to clubs doing it. How many still do it or have done a County? We saw Swansea also touted as the example of how to get a new ground and whizz through the leagues but they too ended up having to live within smaller means.Most such ventures end up with a leader who does not quite have enough cash to do it alone.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 160
jock dock tower
August 28, 2019, 2:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Watch the situation in the Scottish non league game now that there is a way of getting into the SFL via the Lowland League.

Kelty Hearts, who sit second, have Barry Ferguson the ex Rangers captain and Scotland international with 45 caps as the manager, reputedly on £50k per annum. They have been buying up SFL players in an attempt to reach the SFL, and it can be done relatively cheaply compared to England.

We have a club in the league below us, who have won diddly squat in their long history, who are now paying three or four ex SFL players £500 per week. It's wholly unsustainable, but whilst it gives folk the opportunity to get some really cheap publicity at a relatively low cost, from which their business interests may benefit from it will only get worse.

I've seen two of our local rivals, Irvine Meadow and Kilwinning Rangers, both nearly go out of business in the last 20 years when they also bought success before going belly up. Difficult times all over the game. I wonder when a bank might tell a Premiership club, am sorry we want our money back? The sooner the better.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 160
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 28, 2019, 3:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower
Watch the situation in the Scottish non league game now that there is a way of getting into the SFL via the Lowland League.

Kelty Hearts, who sit second, have Barry Ferguson the ex Rangers captain and Scotland international with 45 caps as the manager, reputedly on £50k per annum. They have been buying up SFL players in an attempt to reach the SFL, and it can be done relatively cheaply compared to England.

We have a club in the league below us, who have won diddly squat in their long history, who are now paying three or four ex SFL players £500 per week. It's wholly unsustainable, but whilst it gives folk the opportunity to get some really cheap publicity at a relatively low cost, from which their business interests may benefit from it will only get worse.

I've seen two of our local rivals, Irvine Meadow and Kilwinning Rangers, both nearly go out of business in the last 20 years when they also bought success before going belly up. Difficult times all over the game. I wonder when a bank might tell a Premiership club, am sorry we want our money back? The sooner the better.

I remember when Boston United used to sign ex-Town players, before they got into the league. In those days though there was no promotion to Div 4 so they never had a chance to progress and it was just for the satisfaction of smashing every other non-league team out of sight plus some good cup runs.

When Boston did it again but for real promotion in 2003 the with the great Evans and Malkinson duo that got prosecuted for brown envelopes, it very nearly wrecked the club in the end. So I agree Jock, it is short term gain for long term pain.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 160
rancido
August 28, 2019, 5:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner

This summer we've signed:
James Hanson from a league above us, as a player with a very good track record too.
Matt Green from a Salford side chucking money at it, previously at Lincoln who aren't exactly short of a bob or two at the minute.
Moses Ogbu - a player we were reported to be willing to break the bank for in January but he opted for a spell in the Middle East (no doubt where he will have had a good wage)
Luke Waterfall from a league above us, also previously at Lincoln.

Add to that the two Swedish lads signed in January, neither of whom I imagine will have uprooted for nothing.

Of course you can see that we've probably offset an awful lot of that with a combination of ditching our previous high earners (Collins, Welsh, Thomas et al) and complimenting the squad with youth graduates.  But it does make you wonder...

With regards Bury, writing on the wall for so long.  As with Bolton I feel for the fans.  Yes they may have been aware of the fact they were paying over the odds, but it doesn't mean the fans aren't hurting.  At the heart of all this is people losing their jobs too.  It's not just the players, many of whom will get fixed up with other clubs.  It's the people in the back-office, the people maintaining the ground, the people who are the real heart and soul of these clubs.  People who will now struggle to pay their mortgages or rent, to put food on the table.  

Whilst all this was going on Sky Sports had a countdown ticker going until the 'deadline'.  Absolutely crass and a remarkable lack of respect for the larger issues.  Of course it's their flooding of the upper echelons of the game with wads of cash that has partly contributed to this whole situation at Bury, Bolton and many other clubs up and down the country.  If ever you were tempted to ditch you Sky subscription, that should just push you over the edge.

As regards our signings that you mentioned then I assume they will all have been accommodated within our playing budget and this is the crux of the whole situation. At least we appear to have a sensible playing budget and stick to it. It might not please some fans but we do seem to live within our means.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 160
Hagrid
August 28, 2019, 6:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Bolton taken over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 160
Heisenberg
August 28, 2019, 6:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from rancido

As regards our signings that you mentioned then I assume they will all have been accommodated within our playing budget and this is the crux of the whole situation. At least we appear to have a sensible playing budget and stick to it. It might not please some fans but we do seem to live within our means.

I like this squad. We have some good qualities and it’s a small group of players, many of who are comfortable playing in multiple positions. We have to give the Cowley’s some credit here, they’ve shown the way, Jolley has taken note, and going back to having 30+ players in your squad like we had when Slade replaced Bignot can never happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 160
Gaffer58
August 28, 2019, 6:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I see the lady that runs the EFL now thinks it's time to look at their criteria for when new owners apply to buy a club. Good to know that they are so proactive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 160
golfer
August 28, 2019, 7:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Just seen her on tv-doesn't seem to know her aars from her elbow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 160
Marinerz93
August 28, 2019, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Bury were the first team we beat after that horrendous run, and there where 350 of us there to see Town win.

Seeing their fans pleading for help is tough to watch as you can see how much it means to them, I just hope they do get someone who can take them forward, best of luck Bury.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 160
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2019, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not wanting to play devils advocate to you once again KM, but it wasn't so many years ago that the fans of this club held a decent share stake (thanks to Mike Parker) but under the threat of the sale of the star striker, dropped their proverbial knickers and gave up the stake.  

I know it's different circumstances but both are a case of heart ruling the head?

I agree, it was a major fcuk up in our case too. And a severe case of the heart ruling the head*.

Never should have happened and I don't mind reminding people. 'I told you so.' Our case was probably only different in scale and degree. Different in degree because our Trust kept a significant stake. Different in scale because the prizes on offer were a lot, lot lower. Actually, to be fair to Fenty, he is a genuine fan too, unlike, Munto Finance (was it?) in County's case.

We should remember these cases as warnings

* I like to think on that occasion my heart and head were telling me the same thing. A natural aversion to emotional blackmail, and a cold consideration of the possible outcomes of the decision.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 160
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.