Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Bury

This thread currently has 32,003 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner83
August 28, 2019, 7:44am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Really? We'll ignore the fact that Bury cheated last season.

Darlington, Scarborough, Halifax, Chester and Rubbish & Dustbins have all gone out of business and been expelled from their division after dropping out of the league. No body cared. But because Bury were still in the EFL it's some sort of disaster and tragedy. It's not. They cheated. If they continued in L1 it would have set a much more dangerous precedent than them being expelled.

Feel for their fans, but this ⬆️
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 90 - 160
lukeo
August 28, 2019, 7:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,363
Gold Stars: 143
Do I feel for Bury as a club? No.
Do I feel for the fans? 100% yes.
It's a sensitive subject and by the sounds of it, it isn't going to be that easy just to create a phoenix club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 160
GrimRob
August 28, 2019, 7:54am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Supporters are the lifeblood of any club. They basically are the club and they are all still here so Bury will live on.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 92 - 160
Mrs Doyle
August 28, 2019, 8:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Arguably we or Fenty went the right way about keeping our house in order albeit it cost us our league status for six long seasons but hopefully our bills get paid. It would have been easy to overstretch our finances living outside our means but having an accountant on board (like him or not) has helped to keep finances in check.

Yep, I'm back (could not stay away) with exciting times ahead I hope, best forward line I have seen in a long,long time.

Hanson is the real deal and the best I have seen here for years, he wins everything in the air and is no dummy on the floor loads of awareness lay offs and flick ons.

Both Mosses and the excellent Green have more space and time such is Hansons imense presence, they are all big strong and have pace the young flyers like Akheem,Clifton and very impressive Max Wright are loving the inspiration.

Young Max Wrights reaction after he cut that ball back for Hanson to slot home as typical of the fantastic spirit in the side they all look up to Hanson even on the bench. They know he is a bit special.

Finally Mosses what a superb athelete he already as become a favorite so unpredictable you get that feeling evertime he gets the ball something is going to happen.

His celebration is worth the entrance fee alone lol.

lol I have not even mentioned the superb Hess, Waterfall, Whitlock, The viking and  Pollock and co all look sound and play.

M.J. and his management team have added to the squad superbly.

We will be a handful for anyone in this division.

Trying not to get to carried away as it is so early but as a long suffering town fan you get the feelng this is different a bit special.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 8:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from lukeo
Do I feel for Bury as a club? No.
Do I feel for the fans? 100% yes.
It's a sensitive subject and by the sounds of it, it isn't going to be that easy just to create a phoenix club.

No, it will be very easy to form a phoenix club. They might be allowed in at Step 5 given the reorganisation of non-league at the end of this season. Radcliffe Borough FC is about 2.5 miles from Gigg Lane and they currently play in the NPL Premier Divison (Step 3), so there's a ground with 4,000 capacity they could share up to at least Conference North right on their door step if Gigg Lane is a no-go in the short term.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 94 - 160
Posh Harry
August 28, 2019, 9:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Not read any of the posts, but doesn't look good for the ground itself either as £3.7m in loans, secured on Gigg Lane.  Probally be sold off by the liquidators to some property developers.  

At least if it was rented off the council, a pheonix club would have perhaps been able to secure the ground to play on.  Sad times.

Tv this morning said their ground could only be sold if whoever bought it agreed to fund and build a new ground and I doubt that would be economically viable so I suspect the ground will still be there and hopefully can be used for the ‘new’ bury in what ever guise they resurface. Just as long as any new club is sustainable.

This is a combination of incompetence and recklessness by Steve Dale and the pure head in the sand attitude of the EFL.

Unless the EFL change what and how they do things this is likely to happen again unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 160
GollyGTFC
August 28, 2019, 9:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Posh Harry

Tv this morning said their ground could only be sold if whoever bought it agreed to fund and build a new ground and I doubt that would be economically viable so I suspect the ground will still be there and hopefully can be used for the ‘new’ bury in what ever guise they resurface. Just as long as any new club is sustainable.

This is a combination of incompetence and recklessness by Steve Dale and the pure head in the sand attitude of the EFL.

Unless the EFL change what and how they do things this is likely to happen again unfortunately.

I don't get how people are blaming the EFL. They are a league competition. We don't live in a nanny state. Club's have to be responsible for their own finances. What more could the EFL have done? Steve Dale has no convictions and he's never received a ban from owning/operating a company. Proof of funds isn't worth anything, as you can't legally force an owner to inject funds even if he has them.

The EFL are legally powerless if an owner acts in the way that has happened at Bury.

What the EFL needs to do is tighten up the punishments for insolvency issues and not having proof of funds for the season. Clubs shouldn't be able to start the season in administration. 28 days before the season starts the EFL should issue 14-day expulsion notices to any club in administration and then expel them if they aren't resolved- no extensions. Clubs going into administration should be demoted and banned from promotion for 1 season.

No solvent club should suffer because of an insolvent club. Steven Pressley (Carlisle manager) had it right. It's financial doping.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 160
diehardmariner
August 28, 2019, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,429
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think you’re underestimating people. Not everyone is an ostrich like consumer. If you start signing players a cut above what you’re used to you have an inclination about something. People have access to all sorts of information these days and it only takes a few to find company accounts even if it is a year after the event. And in Bury’s case this has been going on for years.

This summer we've signed:
James Hanson from a league above us, as a player with a very good track record too.
Matt Green from a Salford side chucking money at it, previously at Lincoln who aren't exactly short of a bob or two at the minute.
Moses Ogbu - a player we were reported to be willing to break the bank for in January but he opted for a spell in the Middle East (no doubt where he will have had a good wage)
Luke Waterfall from a league above us, also previously at Lincoln.

Add to that the two Swedish lads signed in January, neither of whom I imagine will have uprooted for nothing.

Of course you can see that we've probably offset an awful lot of that with a combination of ditching our previous high earners (Collins, Welsh, Thomas et al) and complimenting the squad with youth graduates.  But it does make you wonder...

With regards Bury, writing on the wall for so long.  As with Bolton I feel for the fans.  Yes they may have been aware of the fact they were paying over the odds, but it doesn't mean the fans aren't hurting.  At the heart of all this is people losing their jobs too.  It's not just the players, many of whom will get fixed up with other clubs.  It's the people in the back-office, the people maintaining the ground, the people who are the real heart and soul of these clubs.  People who will now struggle to pay their mortgages or rent, to put food on the table.  

Whilst all this was going on Sky Sports had a countdown ticker going until the 'deadline'.  Absolutely crass and a remarkable lack of respect for the larger issues.  Of course it's their flooding of the upper echelons of the game with wads of cash that has partly contributed to this whole situation at Bury, Bolton and many other clubs up and down the country.  If ever you were tempted to ditch you Sky subscription, that should just push you over the edge.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 160
1mickylyons
August 28, 2019, 9:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner

This summer we've signed:
James Hanson from a league above us, as a player with a very good track record too.
Matt Green from a Salford side chucking money at it, previously at Lincoln who aren't exactly short of a bob or two at the minute.
Moses Ogbu - a player we were reported to be willing to break the bank for in January but he opted for a spell in the Middle East (no doubt where he will have had a good wage)
Luke Waterfall from a league above us, also previously at Lincoln.

Add to that the two Swedish lads signed in January, neither of whom I imagine will have uprooted for nothing.

Of course you can see that we've probably offset an awful lot of that with a combination of ditching our previous high earners (Collins, Welsh, Thomas et al) and complimenting the squad with youth graduates.  But it does make you wonder...

With regards Bury, writing on the wall for so long.  As with Bolton I feel for the fans.  Yes they may have been aware of the fact they were paying over the odds, but it doesn't mean the fans aren't hurting.  At the heart of all this is people losing their jobs too.  It's not just the players, many of whom will get fixed up with other clubs.  It's the people in the back-office, the people maintaining the ground, the people who are the real heart and soul of these clubs.  People who will now struggle to pay their mortgages or rent, to put food on the table.  

Whilst all this was going on Sky Sports had a countdown ticker going until the 'deadline'.  Absolutely crass and a remarkable lack of respect for the larger issues.  Of course it's their flooding of the upper echelons of the game with wads of cash that has partly contributed to this whole situation at Bury, Bolton and many other clubs up and down the country.  If ever you were tempted to ditch you Sky subscription, that should just push you over the edge.

I turned the tv on just before 5pm hoping for the best for both Clubs and the sky reporters were outside both grounds.Some idiot as usual tried crashing the interview and I was astounded to hear the sky reporter rebuke him with the words please were trying to help save your Club.I mean really ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 160
Malta_Mariner_90
August 28, 2019, 10:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don't get how people are blaming the EFL.

I think it is more that they allowed Day and then Dale to have ownership of them in the first place. Bit like the Leyton O owner before they got rid of him in the conference. Day and Dale both have "interesting" track records in business which mainly seems to involve the businesses they purchase closing. Low and behold Bury go that way as well.

I agree with you that at some point there have to be consequences for financial mismanagement. Despite all the checks from the EFL etc. there is really no stopping any owner from pulling the plug if they are forced to. Look at Notts C for example they very nearly went pop this summer as well.

The classic example for me were Rushden & Diamonds (the original FGR), a rich mans toy who simply collapsed after a few years once the money stopped. In that case the EFL would have seen him as a reasonable owner, he built them a nice stadium, even left them around a million when he left. They cannot foresee all these scenarios.

What I guess is galling for fans of Bury is that there are probably just as badly run clubs up and down the country in the EFL but sadly for them the League have shown some back bone in terms of applying their own rules (i.e proof you can actually afford to complete the season ahead), they did their best in extending deadlines but it is clear that it was not going to be resolved any time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 160
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.