1mickylyons
May 17, 2019, 12:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just highlights the absolute impossible job Woods had on his hands.

Side in Newell's last game:

Colgan, Bore, Bennett, Linwood, Wood, Forbes, Shahin, Mendy, Sweeney, Akpro, Magennis.

Side in the final game that season, less than 7 months later:

Colgan, Bore, Widdowson, Atkinson, Lancashire, Coulson, Devitt, Sinclair, Hudson, Akpro, Peacock.

3 players.  Colgan, Bore and Akpro.
Fair to say Bore,Bennett,Shahin and Akpro all gave their best from the team that started Newell`s last game and the team that finished the Season like you say did brilliantly to take it to the last game.Mike Newell burn in hell.
That's a wholesale change that was required during a season whilst you're fighting a relegation battle.  Woods did bloody well to take it to the final day!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 147
MuddyWaters
May 17, 2019, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just highlights the absolute impossible job Woods had on his hands.

Side in Newell's last game:

Colgan, Bore, Bennett, Linwood, Wood, Forbes, Shahin, Mendy, Sweeney, Akpro, Magennis.

Side in the final game that season, less than 7 months later:

Colgan, Bore, Widdowson, Atkinson, Lancashire, Coulson, Devitt, Sinclair, Hudson, Akpro, Peacock.

3 players.  Colgan, Bore and Akpro.

That's a wholesale change that was required during a season whilst you're fighting a relegation battle.  Woods did bloody well to take it to the final day!  

Olly Lancashire just been released by Swindon.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 147
NorthseaMariner
May 17, 2019, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
My wife was approached by Neil Woods to do some psychological work with the team. Nothing came of it, but it all starts to fall into place for the situations he was in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 147
rancido
May 17, 2019, 1:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

He accepted the position and I find it very hard to believe that he didn't have a clue about how the first team squad were under Newell, he was part of the running of GTFC for 6 years prior to taking over as manager.

Exactly. Also isn't it on record  that Woods was Parkers plus other Board members choice and JF , although not convinced , went along with it?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 147
marinette
May 17, 2019, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Just read the interview in the Telegraph and don't think I've ever felt this angry or upset about anything Town-related.  

Someone please tell me that those in charge learnt from it at the time, and can guarantee that such a situation is never allowed to develop again.

Private Message
Reply: 84 - 147
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 17, 2019, 3:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from marinette
Just read the interview in the Telegraph and don't think I've ever felt this angry or upset about anything Town-related.  

Someone please tell me that those in charge learnt from it at the time, and can guarantee that such a situation is never allowed to develop again.

Learning from making a complete pig's ear of things is not a Grimsby Town strong point is it? Has the track record on managerial appointments been startlingly good post-Newell (or Newell-post ).

I suppose some would count PH as a successful counterbalance but other than that .........

Oh, and good to see that the GT has its finger on the news pulse, only 2 days behind The Fishy.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 147
Stadium
May 17, 2019, 6:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 147
WesternMariner
May 18, 2019, 11:32am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +892
Gold Stars: 38
I’ve been stewing over this for a few days now and I’m not sure I can put into words how angry/sad/disillusioned/worried it has made me feel.

Firstly the whole podcast has just copulated me off - three no mark male masturbators measuring their cocks against each other and people listen to it!? Good example of everything that’s wrong with society.

Secondly Linwood and a load of other no mark male masturbators represented my football club, stole their wages and rode off into the sunset at the end of the season having so massively copulated us over we still haven’t properly recovered from it - and now he finds it funny and goes round telling it as a funny story on useless insignificant shitty podcasts.  Burton was the lowest point of my footballing life by miles and he thinks it’s funny?!

Thirdly if him and his ilk are representative of professional footballers as a breed why the intercourse have I spent so much energy, time and money on following the game because if they are it’s all a big flipping lie and they’re in it for themselves not the club and certainly not the fans.

Finally how was this allowed to happen? Seriously John Fenty - you employed an alcoholic as the manager who signed a load of pissheads who were coming into work either half cut or hungover and did nothing about it until it was far too late? Would you have allowed that to happen at Five Star fish? Would you have given top jobs on big money to a load of alcoholic half wit arseholes and then let them run your business into the ground and not done anything to stop them? It’s not as if everyone couldn’t see the signs on a Saturday afternoon whilst it was happening and all of us weren’t at BP or Cheapside day in day out literally close enough to smell the booze on “Newellys” breath.

I’m just so disappointed with the whole flipping lot of them.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 147
marinette
May 20, 2019, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from WesternMariner
I’ve been stewing over this for a few days now and I’m not sure I can put into words how angry/sad/disillusioned/worried it has made me feel.

Firstly the whole podcast has just copulated me off - three no mark male masturbators measuring their cocks against each other and people listen to it!? Good example of everything that’s wrong with society.

Secondly Linwood and a load of other no mark male masturbators represented my football club, stole their wages and rode off into the sunset at the end of the season having so massively copulated us over we still haven’t properly recovered from it - and now he finds it funny and goes round telling it as a funny story on useless insignificant shitty podcasts.  Burton was the lowest point of my footballing life by miles and he thinks it’s funny?!

Thirdly if him and his ilk are representative of professional footballers as a breed why the intercourse have I spent so much energy, time and money on following the game because if they are it’s all a big flipping lie and they’re in it for themselves not the club and certainly not the fans.

Finally how was this allowed to happen? Seriously John Fenty - you employed an alcoholic as the manager who signed a load of pissheads who were coming into work either half cut or hungover and did nothing about it until it was far too late? Would you have allowed that to happen at Five Star fish? Would you have given top jobs on big money to a load of alcoholic half wit arseholes and then let them run your business into the ground and not done anything to stop them? It’s not as if everyone couldn’t see the signs on a Saturday afternoon whilst it was happening and all of us weren’t at BP or Cheapside day in day out literally close enough to smell the booze on “Newellys” breath.

I’m just so disappointed with the whole flipping lot of them.

I'm still struggling with the idea of it too, and the post above sums it all up for me.

Have there been any comments about this by the people in charge at the club?  I'd really like to know that there's no chance of it happening again before I shell out for my next season ticket.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 147
Abdul19
May 20, 2019, 3:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I wouldn't expect the club to comment tbh. They sacked the manager involved a decade ago - now they're not employing  a dipsomaniac as manager I doubt it'll happen again.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.