Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 15, 2019, 6:13pm
21:30 Onwards....

Makes awful listening for a fan.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7iS8HkRmNrImV1B0KL8GO4
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 15, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 1
Disgusting, Neil Woods had no chance of keeping us up.
Posted by: Davec, May 15, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 2
What was said? I can't listen atm
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 15, 2019, 6:18pm; Reply: 3
Basically they loved Newell because he went out on the urine with the team, but Woods didn't like the drinking culture and they all refused to play for him.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 15, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Disgusting, Neil Woods had no chance of keeping us up.

I've not listened to the interview BUT...

It's the manager's job to get the best out of the players at his disposal. You can't do that if you alienate them all even if you think you're right. A good manager picks his battles carefully. The only battle Woods had was to keep us in the football league, not to turn the playing squad tee-total. If Woods had done that he could have changed the culture of the club in the summer by releasing players he didn't want en-masse.
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 15, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 5
flipping hell! No wonder we went down.

Drinking on the way to training, disgraceful. Always thought that group were the biggest bunch of tossers, no respect for the club or fans who paid their wages so they could go out on the urine every night!

Posted by: Mikey_345, May 15, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I would before commenting, it’s bad.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 15, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 7
I think it was common knowledge that Mike Newell was an alkie (allegedly), but it seems that most of the players were too!
Posted by: Mariner_501, May 15, 2019, 6:53pm; Reply: 8
That team can rot in hell as far as I’m concerned after listening to that
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 15, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 9
Just look at Barry Conlon, he had more points on his driving licence than we did the whole season 😂
Posted by: tarka, May 15, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It's the manager's job to get the best out of the players at his disposal. You can't do that if you alienate them all even if you think you're right. A good manager picks his battles carefully. The only battle Woods had was to keep us in the football league, not to turn the playing squad tee-total. If Woods had done that he could have changed the culture of the club in the summer by releasing players he didn't want en-masse.

I suggest you listen to it... if I had been one of that bunch of tossers I'd have felt embarrassed but this particular character seems to think it was funny. How anyone can apportion blame to Neil Woods after listening to that drivel is beyond me....a bunch of beer swilling no-hopers who treated the club, the fans and their own profession with contempt.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 15, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 11
Appalling.  What a feeble excuse for a professional footballer.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 15, 2019, 7:12pm; Reply: 12
I don’t think we blamed Neil Woods, we blamed the one who appointed him and who must have known the score with that gang.

What I did blame Neil for was not getting us back up straightaway by not realising the sort of players and tactics needed to get out of the conference.
Posted by: tarka, May 15, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 13
I don’t think we blamed Neil Woods, we blamed the one who appointed him and who must have known the score with that gang.

What I did blame Neil for was not getting us back up straightaway by not realising the sort of players and tactics needed to get out of the conference.

I was referring to the comment about a good manager picking his battles carefully....Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been able to do much with that bunch....
Posted by: cardiffmariner, May 15, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

As has already been said, you shouldn’t  pass comment without listening - you make yourself look foolish. It is a toe-curlingly bad interview that shines a light on what most of us already knew. They took the urine out of every single fan who ever paid their cash to watch them play.

Rather than lambasting Woods, take a minute to question why Fenty ever appointed a manager who was renowned for his drinking antics and, more worryingly, allowed that to then permeate the entire team whilst he was in charge of us.

Fenty and the rest of the board got us relegated to the conference, not Woods.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 15, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 15
Trying to work out whether I’m more angry about the pisstaking by the players or Mr Fenty for not sacking Newell sooner.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 15, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 16
It was actually hugely unfair to give a youth team coach, with no first team management experience that bunch of useless, feckless girl privates and expect him to keep them in the league.

As for that sniggering Manc/Scouse/whatever the intercourse he is girl private Linwood, he might think it's funny to slag off Grimsby and talk about cans of Fosters on the way to training but how funny does he find it that he ended up at Connah's Quay and Ramsbottom United. You might have hated Grimsby Paul but reside safe in the knowledge that we hate you and waster arseholes like Proudlock and Conlon a lot more.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 15, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from tarka

I was referring to the comment about a good manager picking his battles carefully....Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been able to do much with that bunch....

It’s OK tarka, I agree. I was just making a general comment about Woods.

Posted by: blundellpork, May 15, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 18
Whilst there have been plenty of rumours and stories, to listen to how he laughed it off was a disgrace. They simply didn’t care.

‘Newell joined us at the pub’, ‘we finished drinking at 5am and had to be at training at 9am’, ‘some of the lads drank a can of Fosters on the way to training’.

They may have loved Newell, but quite frankly the culture he created was disgraceful.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 19
The booze has obviously got to Linwood's memory a bit as he seems to think we were "just clawing it back" and "turning it around" when Newell was sacked.

We'd lost 4 on the bounce!
Posted by: tarka, May 15, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 20

It’s OK tarka, I agree. I was just making a general comment about Woods.

Yes, I appreciate that. I really don't feel able to pass judgement on the tactical side of things but I do know he found it difficult to attract quality players to the club...whether it was through a lack of contacts or a lack of finance I don't know.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 15, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from cardiffmariner

As has already been said, you shouldn’t  pass comment without listening - you make yourself look foolish. It is a toe-curlingly bad interview that shines a light on what most of us already knew. They took the urine out of every single fan who ever paid their cash to watch them play.

Rather than lambasting Woods, take a minute to question why Fenty ever appointed a manager who was renowned for his drinking antics and, more worryingly, allowed that to then permeate the entire team whilst he was in charge of us.

Fenty and the rest of the board got us relegated to the conference, not Woods.

So renowned for it that his appointment was met with overwhelming approval and optimism amongst the supporters. His previous job at Luton was successful. I don't remember anybody saying we shouldn't have hired that urine head...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 15, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 22
The fans didn't hire him though and they weren't responsible for conducting due diligence on him or finding an experienced replacement when it all went mammaries up. He seemed happy to accept responsibility when he came on the pitch after we scraped survival at Dean Court.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2019, 7:43pm; Reply: 23
I've carried on listening to that and it's the most #ladzladzladz #bantz thing I've ever heard.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 15, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from pen penfras

So renowned for it that his appointment was met with overwhelming approval and optimism amongst the supporters. His previous job at Luton was successful. I don't remember anybody saying we shouldn't have hired that urine head...

Are you suggesting that the board weren’t aware of his past? As for the fans being happy with the appointment, it’s the Board’s job to carry out due diligence, not the supporters!
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 15, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 25
If anyone fancies telling Paul what they think about his professionalism, simply google his name and his linkedin profile and contact details pop up.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 15, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 26
Bloke sounds like a right tool and he can be proud to know he was involved in one of the worst town teams in history.

Well done Paul linwood.
Posted by: tarka, May 15, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The fans didn't hire him though and they weren't responsible for conducting due diligence on him or finding an experienced replacement when it all went mammaries up. He seemed happy to accept responsibility when he came on the pitch after we scraped survival at Dean Court.

In John Fenty's defence Neil Woods wasn't his choice...he wanted Slade (for better or worse!) but was outvoted by the rest of the Board.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 15, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are you suggesting that the board weren’t aware of his past? As for the fans being happy with the appointment, it’s the Board’s job to carry out due diligence, not the supporters!

I'm sure they were aware of his past where he won league one in 2005 and finished 10th in the championship in 2006. As for the drinking, I don't know. But to say it was widely known is far of the mark, we might think that with hindsight, but nobody was saying it was a bad decision to sign him at the time.

I don't think getting information from other teams within football is as easy as it should be. If clubs were publicising all of the bad points about their former managers, then they'd be getting sued. Plus a manager that publicly criticised his employers the way that Newell did was hardly going to lead to get glowing reviews from them.

Doesn't change that it was a disaster, and if the club knew about the culture, then they are as much to blame for allowing it to continue another season as anybody else
Posted by: RoboCod, May 15, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from pen penfras

Most fans thought'''ooh, he did some stuff at Luton, might be a good hire'
However, such fans generally lack the abilty, contact numbers  and the inclination I'd say to 'phone around' and pick up info on the footy grapvine. Had that been done I'm sure some of Newells less savoury habits and ways would have come to light. When you hire for such responsible positions you do your homework.

Apart from at GTFC where it's always the fans fault.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 15, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 30
Wow. I don't think any manager had a chance with that bunch.

That is the danger when you fill your squad with players on the way down, just picking up a wage. Sweeney had played in a cup final for Millwall, Proudlock was highly rated at Sunderland, Linwood came from League One Tranmere and I've heard about Conlon's antics at Bradford before he came here.

In one sense I miss the identity that we built in the Conference years and hope we can get towards that again.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 15, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 31
It's basically.... "we didn't care about Grimsby town and once newell got sacked the lads wouldn't play for Neil Woods as he wouldn't go out on the p1ss with us"

An absolute shambles of a man.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Wow. I don't think any manager had a chance with that bunch.

That is the danger when you fill your squad with players on the way down, just picking up a wage. Sweeney had played in a cup final for Millwall, Proudlock was highly rated at Sunderland, Linwood came from League One Tranmere and I've heard about Conlon's antics at Bradford before he came here.

In one sense I miss the identity that we built in the Conference years and hope we can get towards that again.

Proudlock never played for Sunderland and we signed Linwood from a Chester side who were worse than us ;)

(Pedant mode)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 15, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 33
Linwood's career was in terminal decline which is surprising given the dedication and professionalism he describes.

As for the Proudlock, the Sunderland fans would be more likely to rate him if he never played for them. If he had they'd think he was a useless fat sharp object like we do.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 15, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 34
Think he was referred to as Paul Deadwood.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 15, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 35
Well if either one of those absolute girl privates sets foot here again..... you disgusting disrespectful useless illegitimates
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 15, 2019, 9:45pm; Reply: 36
Most of that squad were at semi pro teams within a few years, what a bunch of girl privates, and poor woodsy.

This is why we need to support our manager though, remember this was jolleys first ever full season(start to finish) in charge of a professional team, think about how valuable a few years experience has been in your own jobs. I really don't want to ever be a merry go round club for managers or players ever again, because that's what can happen.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 15, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

Proudlock never played for Sunderland and we signed Linwood from a Chester side who were worse than us ;)

(Pedant mode)

However, he was highly rated at Wolves.

I find it very hard to believe that Deadwood (RIP Doris) believes it OK to laugh & joke about effectively taking the urine out of hard-working fans.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 38

He would have been the managerial appointment of the century if he'd managed to get us promoted before the end of February 2011.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 15, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 39
Well I’ve just listened and although I’m not massively surprised, it is incredible to have it confirmed.

I feel so sorry for Woods. He should never have been put in that position. flipping obvious we’d go down. Massive failure in due diligence in?appointing that clown Newell in the first place and an even bigger one expecting Woods to sort it out. I’d have taken a flipping flamethrower to those useless illegitimates.
Posted by: geir, May 15, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 40
Most of that squad were at semi pro teams within a few years, what a bunch of girl privates, and poor woodsy.

This is why we need to support our manager though, remember this was jolleys first ever full season(start to finish) in charge of a professional team, think about how valuable a few years experience has been in your own jobs. I really don't want to ever be a merry go round club for managers or players ever again, because that's what can happen.

Couldn`t be said any better than above!

Regarding the interview: We were lucky that Ryan Bennett, who played for us at the time, obviously didn`t follow the rest of those seasoned "pros" ("Pro" used extremely lightly) into alcoholism. We never would have earned those very welcome transfer fees if that was the case. I wonder if other young players, who later gave up on their careers, followed those elder players into the pub and onto the end of their short careers? It`s very easy to be influenced by what older guys does at that age...
And I really do not have any words strong enough to describe how much I despise Newell and those guys like Linwood who made fools of the fans who paid their hard-earned money to watch the team. If I were an employer, I definitely wouldn`t want to hire people with such unprofessional ways of conducting their business. Disgrace!
Posted by: cardiffmariner, May 15, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from pen penfras

I seen this said before, and didn’t agree then either.

His previous job was with Hartlepool where it was well known he had an issue with drink. A housemate of mine at the time was a Hartlepool fan and told me several stories of his antics, including being drunk up at the services on the way to a game. If he was aware of this then I struggle to see how due diligence from Fenty wouldn’t have uncovered Newells love of the beer. I can’t for one minute think he didn’t know but he saw a relatively ‘big’ name who needed a job.

I take your point that many lauded what Fenty did but if you ‘didn’t hear anyone saying we shouldn’t have hired that urine head’ then you weren’t  listening closely enough.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 15, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 42
It was an open secret in Luton that Newell had a problem with drink and surrounded himself with similar people.
Posted by: Poojah, May 15, 2019, 10:55pm; Reply: 43
Wow. I saw the thread and wondered how bad it could really be; but there were some pretty shocking revelations there. In that context, you have to credit Woodstock for turning it around sufficiently that it even went to the last game of the season.

Completely changes my perception of him as a manager actually.

Incidentally, at the time I knew a lad whose family owned a pub in Leeds regularly frequented by Barry Conlon (I have his autograph on a beer mat). I won’t repeat some of the stories I was told, but they very much align with this (and worse) - it just corroborates it really.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 15, 2019, 11:01pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Poojah

Incidentally, at the time I knew a lad whose family owned a pub in Leeds regularly frequented by Barry Conlon (I have his autograph on a beer mat). I won’t repeat some of the stories I was told, but they very much align with this (and worse) - it just corroborates it really.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.

I lived in Headingley at the time....imagine my surprise.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 15, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 45

I'm surprised none of them had a beer belly.    
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 15, 2019, 11:16pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from tarka

In John Fenty's defence Neil Woods wasn't his choice...he wanted Slade (for better or worse!) but was outvoted by the rest of the Board.

That may have been the case but he should have sacked him during that dreadful run without a win
Posted by: Caesar, May 15, 2019, 11:23pm; Reply: 47
I am furious having listened to that. Its not just the lack of care at the time, if I had behaved anything like those tossers I would be ashamed in hindsight, he seems to revel in it. Fine you may not like Grimsby as a place but to show that level of disrespect to a club is disgraceful.

The main thing it makes me do is admire Woods, no chance in hell to turn that toxic environment around, .
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2019, 11:38pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Poojah
Wow. I saw the thread and wondered how bad it could really be; but there were some pretty shocking revelations there. In that context, you have to credit Woodstock for turning it around sufficiently that it even went to the last game of the season.

Completely changes my perception of him as a manager actually.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.

Your famous rant of the time seems even more appropriate now.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 15, 2019, 11:38pm; Reply: 49

Can anyone provide a link please without having to sign in to Spotify or whatever it is ???
Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2019, 12:23am; Reply: 50
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm surprised none of them had a beer belly.    

[img]https://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article499261.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/C_71_article_1052239_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg[/img]
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 16, 2019, 6:44am; Reply: 51
I am suprised in this modern age that a football club in this case GTFC can`t sue twits like this when they have basically admitted to gross misconduct that cost the Club millions? I hope I bump into Linwood at some point and the two of us can discuss our feelings about GTFC over a pt . I wish the very worst for him and all those who acted the same from that era credit to the youngsters that Season who did go down fighting.
Posted by: LH, May 16, 2019, 8:29am; Reply: 52
Can we get the Trust to invite these lot as guests one day next season?
Posted by: RoboCod, May 16, 2019, 9:06am; Reply: 53
I'd like to see the fans of Leagues 1 & 2 (the clubs who suffer most from these grabbing charlatans) put together a Top 2 Worst/Most Unprofessional Players To Wear The Shirt for their respective clubs. Put them into a rough Top 100-ish chart with the other clubs and add the worst photo available of them and their worst stats/misdemeanours and send it to all of the footy blogs on the net.

Could do it in the style of Top Trumps with the photo and stats, but let it go viral and don't spare the vitriol in the assesment of each one and actually shame them as their jolly japes are seen by all (possibly their next potential club)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 16, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 54
Quoted from RoboCod
I'd like to see the fans of Leagues 1 & 2 (the clubs who suffer most from these grabbing charlatans) put together a Top 2 Worst/Most Unprofessional Players To Wear The Shirt for their respective clubs. Put them into a rough Top 100-ish chart with the other clubs and add the worst photo available of them and their worst stats/misdemeanours and send it to all of the footy blogs on the net.

Could do it in the style of Top Trumps with the photo and stats, but let it go viral and don't spare the vitriol in the assesment of each one and actually shame them as their jolly japes are seen by all (possibly their next potential club)

Pretty sure we can do a Town eleven

You`re not fit to wear the shirt

1 Rhys Wilmott/Nick Colgan/Peter Grotier (All 3 were crap for Town and upset me greatly)
2 Paul Dixon (How on earth did he ever get a proffesional contract?)
3 Aswad Thomas (Pains me to stick him in cos he had ability but never fulfilled the potential he had then left under a cloud )
4 Tony Crane ( Epitomised everything that`s wrong from an attitude point of view)
5 Paul Linwood (See above)
6 Peter Sweeney (See comments on Linwood plus had bags of talent he chose to throw away)
7 Scott Brown (Drink driving etc whilst supposed to be Captain and setting an example)
8 John Welsh (Assaulting a woman whilst drunk in a city centre prior to signing supposed to be captain and setting an example)
9 Barry Conlon (Awful attitude to everything especially training and proffessionalism his display at home to Bradford in Neil Woods first game is the worst individual performance from a Town player I have ever seen in terms of effort)
10 Richard Brodie (Whilst only a loanee at Town still made me sick with his terrible attitude )
11 Joe Robles (Came in unfit and left the same way I only saw him for 45 mins but can claim at 47 and Obese to be fitter faster and better than him)

Manager Mike Newell (The football would be dire but the end of season p1ss up epic)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 16, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 55
Quoted from 1mickylyons

1 Rhys Wilmott/Nick Colgan/Peter Grotier (All 3 were crap for Town and upset me greatly)
3 Aswad Thomas (Pains me to stick him in cos he had ability but never fulfilled the potential he had then left under a cloud )
4 Tony Crane ( Epitomised everything that`s wrong from an attitude point of view)
6 Peter Sweeney (See comments on Linwood plus had bags of talent he chose to throw away)
7 Scott Brown (Drink driving etc whilst supposed to be Captain and setting an example)
8 John Welsh (Assaulting a woman whilst drunk in a city centre prior to signing supposed to be captain and setting an example)
9 Barry Conlon (Awful attitude to everything especially training and proffessionalism his display at home to Bradford in Neil Woods first game is the worst individual performance from a Town player I have ever seen in terms of effort)
10 Richard Brodie (Whilst only a loanee at Town still made me sick with his terrible attitude )
11 Joe Robles (Came in unfit and left the same way I only saw him for 45 mins but can claim at 47 and Obese to be fitter faster and better than him)
12 Martin Butler (My personal I flipping hate you ya twit Town player cost a legend his job with his no shows after signing a lucrative contract)

Manager Mike Newell (The football would be dire but the end of season p1ss up epic)

Posted by: fleabag1970, May 16, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 56
And all this happened on Fentys watch ...... and to think he wants his loans back . Just another embarrassing moment in his tenure ...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 16, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Problem being we can probably do a 2nd and 3rd 11. You didn't include Forecast, Proudlock, Hamilton, Heywood or Butler for starters.
Posted by: Kris2, May 16, 2019, 3:39pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from geir

Couldn`t be said any better than above!

Regarding the interview: We were lucky that Ryan Bennett, who played for us at the time, obviously didn`t follow the rest of those seasoned "pros" ("Pro" used extremely lightly) into alcoholism. We never would have earned those very welcome transfer fees if that was the case. I wonder if other young players, who later gave up on their careers, followed those elder players into the pub and onto the end of their short careers? It`s very easy to be influenced by what older guys does at that age...

There were definitely a couple of party boys among the younger players we had at the club. Can't really name names anymore since The Fishy might get shut down again when somebody doesn't like the truth. Peter Bore however is one lad who was never a drinker at the club, was friends with my sister and her friends and they always said he never drank when he was out. Tales of some other young players were a bit different though  ;D.
Posted by: buckstown, May 16, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 59
I read the summary in the telewag but can't bring myself to listen to that moron. Is he trying to sell a book or something?
Posted by: devs, May 16, 2019, 5:04pm; Reply: 60
His claim of 15 pints a session might be to impress his 'Alpha Male' mates on the interview
I wouldn't have Paul Dixon in the worst team - based on attitude etc I think he gave 100%
It just never worked out for him

There is so much goes on at footy clubs just like any business - and it is incredibly hard for any manager to deal with

Good news is all that shower of shite have left but Neil is doing a great job with the academy etc - and with several good players coming through they will certainly have been influenced by a top pro

Posted by: Maringer, May 16, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 61
"Newelly", FFS.

Indicates the sort of intellect that Woods had to work with when he took over. Linwood himself says all you need to know about the character of them.

Makes you wish that Laws had been in charge, because at least one or two of them might have got a well-deserved smack!
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 16, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 62
Makes you wonder if it could have been different under Woods with the right set of players
Posted by: Meza, May 16, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Kris2

There were definitely a couple of party boys among the younger players we had at the club. Can't really name names anymore since The Fishy might get shut down again when somebody doesn't like the truth. Peter Bore however is one lad who was never a drinker at the club, was friends with my sister and her friends and they always said he never drank when he was out. Tales of some other young players were a bit different though  ;D.

Well he's making up for it now as he's always out.  He's been seeing my sister.  Although she claims we are just friends.  
Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from bradzmilne
Makes you wonder if it could have been different under Woods with the right set of players

He had the chance to sign the right set of players but went for Lewis Gobern instead.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 16, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 65
The bloke seems proud to have been in a pathetic excuse of a team.

What an absolute weirdo.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 16, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from promotion plaice

Can anyone provide a link please without having to sign in to Spotify or whatever it is ???

Here's the interview in all its gory details.

Quoted Text
Former Grimsby Town defender Paul Linwood has lifted the lid on the club’s final season before relegation from the Football League – and the drinking culture that was prevalent.

The Mariners were relegated from the EFL back in 2010, leading to six years in non-league before eventually returning to League Two in 2016.

Town started the 2009/10 season under then-manager Mike Newell, before the former Luton boss was sacked in October.

Youth Team coach Neil Woods took over, but couldn’t prevent the team from being relegated as they went down following defeat to Burton on the final day of the season.

Former Tranmere and Chester player Linwood had only joined the Mariners that same summer, and subsequently left the club following their relegation.

And, speaking to the I Had Trials Once… podcast, the 35-year-old spoke in detail about the events leading up to Town’s relegation from the Football League – including how players would drink on the way to training, and Newell’s unique team talk with a fire extinguisher.

Linwood said

"Have you seen the scene in Star Wars in the bar? It’s just like a weird bar – that’s every bar in Grimsby. I just didn’t take to it at all. We had all the money problems at Chester, I was owed loads of money, I was lending money left, right and centre. I had to tap into Jon Walters who was on a few quid at the time!

I signed a three-year deal at Grimsby. Mike Newell signed me – he was my old reserve team manager. It was just a team full of alcoholics – people talk about a drinking culture, but this was ridiculous.

The reason it went wrong is because Newelly got the sack early doors, and we all loved Newelly. We weren’t doing too great, but everyone had that respect for him and we’d just turned it round - we had loads of injuries. Newelly was the type of manager who would give you just enough rope to hang yourself, and we were just clawing it back.

One day, we got smashed by someone, and the Monday morning he came in. We’re all sat in the changing room, and Newelly’s coming down the corridor. “Everyone in the f***ing changing room now! Get in!”

Everyone’s like ‘f***ing hell’. The captain Matty Haywood stands up and just goes “listen lads, he’s good to us. If he goes off on one, no-one answers back, just take it.”

Anyway, he comes in with a fire extinguisher and starts squirting the f*** out of everyone!

We had loads of days and nights out, and we were turning it round. He had a falling out upstairs after one of the games, and he got the sack. The Youth Team manager took over. Now the Youth Team manager saw the older-ish lads there, and he just hated it. We all had a drink anyway, and Newelly used to join us – he was always with us, him and his assistant. He used to ring on a Tuesday and go “where are you?”

“Nowhere gaffer, we’re just in Costa.” “I know you’re in the pub, I’m coming!” It was good under Newelly, and the Youth Team manager came in and just hated all that. But it’s the worst thing he could have done because the players just rebelled against him, and there were a lot of big characters in that dressing room he couldn’t handle.

We got relegated. I signed three years, and did one season, but literally it was getting to a stage where all the wives and girlfriends never moved up. Because we were doing badly in the league, the wives and girlfriends were like “well we’ll stay at home, see how the season pans out. We might move up at Christmas, we might move at the end of the season.”

We were all within a two-mile radius of each other in massive houses. For about £500 a month, we had mansions. You’d finish training, Adam Proudlock on the Whatsapp group would say “lads, I’m just having a pint at the Laceby Arms”, and the whole squad would be in there. 15 pints, easy.

It was the only pub we could get away with it. It was in a tiny little village, and we were dead inconspicuous – we used to go in our kits!

Even I turned round one day and said “this has gone too far.” We’d had a Monday session – straight after training, we finished boozing about five that morning, and then we were in for training at nine the next day.

Adam Proudlock and Peter Sweeney came to pick us up, and both were just the most unbelievable players who had just tossed it off at this point. Those two came to pick me up after a session, and we were drinking cans of Fosters on the way to training, which is out of order because I f***ing hate Fosters!

I drank on the way to training, but in the end I was thinking “we need to sort ourselves out here. It's not fair on fans” because there were some good people there, but none of us took to Grimsby at all.

We got relegated. They had us by the balls really – we got relegated in the last game. If we’d have stayed up, my money would have gone up, and if we’d gone down my wages would’ve gone down 40 per cent, so they had everyone over a barrel just to leave without any pay-offs. A few quid and I was on my way".
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 16, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Abdul19

He had the chance to sign the right set of players but went for Lewis Gobern instead.

I don’t think anyone (Woods included) had any idea of what we had to expect when we went down to the conference.

Looking at our team the game we played in our first non-league game:

Arthur, Watt, Ridley, Kempson, Hudson, Bore, Leary, Wood (Eagle 58 ), Peacock, Coulson, Connell (Dixon 88 ).
Subs Not Used: Garner, Cummins, Samuels.

There’s a few decent players there. Just never really had any creativity from centre midfield or a striker to play alongside Connell. I’m slightly surprised that team didn’t perform better than it did.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 16, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from devs

His claim of 15 pints a session might be to impress his 'Alpha Male' mates on the interview

15 pints? - lightweight! Not fit to refill Gally's glass (or lace his boots)

Posted by: Squinter, May 16, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 69
His work e-mail address is on his linkin profile if anybody fances a chat
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 16, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 70
Depressing stuff . We all knew about Newells antics . But never knew the extent to which the players were taking the urine . Instead of throwing advertising boards at the police we should’ve been down the tunnel and pulled the main culprits out onto burtons pitch for a kicking
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 16, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 71
What an absolute male masturbator, a no mark footballer who I hope falls off a cliff to his death. The pain he and his excuse for team mates put people I've known for decades through, people who have this club in their hearts. The states I saw them in at Burton, grown men, myself included in tears and inconsolable. Six years of disgrace, from which we are still feeling the after effects. Our club is now a much smaller club than the one they destroyed. Newell was an sharp object of the highest order, Linwood? I'd forgotten the excrement illegitimate, Sweeney? Only confirms what was generally known about him. He should have played Championship football all his career and retired to his castle. I hope the illegitimate is packing fish fingers for an agency for minimum wage, I'm fuming and wish nothing but the worse of luck on all the illegitimate waste of spaces.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2019, 10:40pm; Reply: 72
Arseholesthe lot of em.
Posted by: Kris2, May 16, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Meza

Well he's making up for it now as he's always out.  He's been seeing my sister.  Although she claims we are just friends.  

Well he's not a footballer anymore so I guess he's off the fitness stuff. Dunno what he does these days not ran into him in ages.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 17, 2019, 1:00am; Reply: 74
Quoted from bradzmilne

I don’t think anyone (Woods included) had any idea of what we had to expect when we went down to the conference.

Looking at our team the game we played in our first non-league game:

Arthur, Watt, Ridley, Kempson, Hudson, Bore, Leary, Wood (Eagle 58 ), Peacock, Coulson, Connell (Dixon 88 ).
Subs Not Used: Garner, Cummins, Samuels.

There’s a few decent players there. Just never really had any creativity from centre midfield or a striker to play alongside Connell. I’m slightly surprised that team didn’t perform better than it did.

There is also some excrement in that team. Lee flipping Ridley one of the worst players I have seen in 50 odd years.

Some are getting a bit gooey eyed about Woods but he signed Serge Makofo and gave the clown a 3 year contract and he also took us to our lowest league position in our history..
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 17, 2019, 1:09am; Reply: 75
Quoted from marinerdazza
Well I’ve just listened and although I’m not massively surprised, it is incredible to have it confirmed.

I feel so sorry for Woods. He should never have been put in that position. flipping obvious we’d go down. Massive failure in due diligence in?appointing that clown Newell in the first place and an even bigger one expecting Woods to sort it out. I’d have taken a flipping flamethrower to those useless illegitimates.

He accepted the position and I find it very hard to believe that he didn't have a clue about how the first team squad were under Newell, he was part of the running of GTFC for 6 years prior to taking over as manager.
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 17, 2019, 1:27am; Reply: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

There is also some excrement in that team. Lee flipping Ridley one of the worst players I have seen in 50 odd years.

Some are getting a bit gooey eyed about Woods but he signed Serge Makofo and gave the clown a 3 year contract and he also took us to our lowest league position in our history..

Lee Ridley wasn’t that bad first season.  It was the second season he seemingly turned to mush. Away at York, I’m not sure if it was Ashley Chambers? I’ve never seen a winger have a field day like it.
Posted by: Freemoash88, May 17, 2019, 5:18am; Reply: 77
If you got to paul Linwood LinkedIn his numbdr and emails on there if you fancy telling the sharp object what you think!
Posted by: Dan, May 17, 2019, 9:55am; Reply: 78
Quoted from devs

At the time, there were rumours going round that certain players were known for...powdering their nose. 15 pints and out till 5am with training at 9...well I can believe it.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 17, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 79
Just highlights the absolute impossible job Woods had on his hands.

Side in Newell's last game:

Colgan, Bore, Bennett, Linwood, Wood, Forbes, Shahin, Mendy, Sweeney, Akpro, Magennis.

Side in the final game that season, less than 7 months later:

Colgan, Bore, Widdowson, Atkinson, Lancashire, Coulson, Devitt, Sinclair, Hudson, Akpro, Peacock.

3 players.  Colgan, Bore and Akpro.

That's a wholesale change that was required during a season whilst you're fighting a relegation battle.  Woods did bloody well to take it to the final day!  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 17, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner

Colgan, Bore, Bennett, Linwood, Wood, Forbes, Shahin, Mendy, Sweeney, Akpro, Magennis.

Colgan, Bore, Widdowson, Atkinson, Lancashire, Coulson, Devitt, Sinclair, Hudson, Akpro, Peacock.

Fair to say Bore,Bennett,Shahin and Akpro all gave their best from the team that started Newell`s last game and the team that finished the Season like you say did brilliantly to take it to the last game.Mike Newell burn in hell.
That's a wholesale change that was required during a season whilst you're fighting a relegation battle.  Woods did bloody well to take it to the final day!  

Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 17, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from diehardmariner

Olly Lancashire just been released by Swindon.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, May 17, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 82
My wife was approached by Neil Woods to do some psychological work with the team. Nothing came of it, but it all starts to fall into place for the situations he was in.
Posted by: rancido, May 17, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from arryarryarry

He accepted the position and I find it very hard to believe that he didn't have a clue about how the first team squad were under Newell, he was part of the running of GTFC for 6 years prior to taking over as manager.

Exactly. Also isn't it on record  that Woods was Parkers plus other Board members choice and JF , although not convinced , went along with it?
Posted by: marinette, May 17, 2019, 2:30pm; Reply: 84
Just read the interview in the Telegraph and don't think I've ever felt this angry or upset about anything Town-related.  

Someone please tell me that those in charge learnt from it at the time, and can guarantee that such a situation is never allowed to develop again.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 17, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from marinette
Just read the interview in the Telegraph and don't think I've ever felt this angry or upset about anything Town-related.  

Someone please tell me that those in charge learnt from it at the time, and can guarantee that such a situation is never allowed to develop again.

Learning from making a complete pig's ear of things is not a Grimsby Town strong point is it? Has the track record on managerial appointments been startlingly good post-Newell (or Newell-post ;)).

I suppose some would count PH as a successful counterbalance but other than that .........

Oh, and good to see that the GT has its finger on the news pulse, only 2 days behind The Fishy. ;D

Posted by: Stadium, May 17, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 86
What an absolute helmet.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/276982/1143779

Posted by: WesternMariner, May 18, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 87
I’ve been stewing over this for a few days now and I’m not sure I can put into words how angry/sad/disillusioned/worried it has made me feel.

Firstly the whole podcast has just copulated me off - three no mark male masturbators measuring their cocks against each other and people listen to it!? Good example of everything that’s wrong with society.

Secondly Linwood and a load of other no mark male masturbators represented my football club, stole their wages and rode off into the sunset at the end of the season having so massively copulated us over we still haven’t properly recovered from it - and now he finds it funny and goes round telling it as a funny story on useless insignificant shitty podcasts.  Burton was the lowest point of my footballing life by miles and he thinks it’s funny?!

Thirdly if him and his ilk are representative of professional footballers as a breed why the intercourse have I spent so much energy, time and money on following the game because if they are it’s all a big flipping lie and they’re in it for themselves not the club and certainly not the fans.

Finally how was this allowed to happen? Seriously John Fenty - you employed an alcoholic as the manager who signed a load of pissheads who were coming into work either half cut or hungover and did nothing about it until it was far too late? Would you have allowed that to happen at Five Star fish? Would you have given top jobs on big money to a load of alcoholic half wit arseholes and then let them run your business into the ground and not done anything to stop them? It’s not as if everyone couldn’t see the signs on a Saturday afternoon whilst it was happening and all of us weren’t at BP or Cheapside day in day out literally close enough to smell the booze on “Newellys” breath.

I’m just so disappointed with the whole flipping lot of them.
Posted by: marinette, May 20, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from WesternMariner
I’ve been stewing over this for a few days now and I’m not sure I can put into words how angry/sad/disillusioned/worried it has made me feel.

Firstly the whole podcast has just copulated me off - three no mark male masturbators measuring their cocks against each other and people listen to it!? Good example of everything that’s wrong with society.

Secondly Linwood and a load of other no mark male masturbators represented my football club, stole their wages and rode off into the sunset at the end of the season having so massively copulated us over we still haven’t properly recovered from it - and now he finds it funny and goes round telling it as a funny story on useless insignificant shitty podcasts.  Burton was the lowest point of my footballing life by miles and he thinks it’s funny?!

Thirdly if him and his ilk are representative of professional footballers as a breed why the intercourse have I spent so much energy, time and money on following the game because if they are it’s all a big flipping lie and they’re in it for themselves not the club and certainly not the fans.

Finally how was this allowed to happen? Seriously John Fenty - you employed an alcoholic as the manager who signed a load of pissheads who were coming into work either half cut or hungover and did nothing about it until it was far too late? Would you have allowed that to happen at Five Star fish? Would you have given top jobs on big money to a load of alcoholic half wit arseholes and then let them run your business into the ground and not done anything to stop them? It’s not as if everyone couldn’t see the signs on a Saturday afternoon whilst it was happening and all of us weren’t at BP or Cheapside day in day out literally close enough to smell the booze on “Newellys” breath.

I’m just so disappointed with the whole flipping lot of them.

I'm still struggling with the idea of it too, and the post above sums it all up for me.

Have there been any comments about this by the people in charge at the club?  I'd really like to know that there's no chance of it happening again before I shell out for my next season ticket.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 89
I wouldn't expect the club to comment tbh. They sacked the manager involved a decade ago - now they're not employing  a dipsomaniac as manager I doubt it'll happen again.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 90
What an utter shambles.

It's like an episode of Mike Bassett Football Manger.
Posted by: Stadium, May 20, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Abdul19
I wouldn't expect the club to comment tbh. They sacked the manager involved a decade ago - now they're not employing  a dipsomaniac as manager I doubt it'll happen again.

This.
Shocking revelations but in the past so move on.
The club certainly wouldn't put out a statement saying they can guarantee this would never happen again??
Posted by: hheh2, May 20, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 92
Why is this 10 pages?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 20, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from hheh2
Why is this 10 pages?

Because it’s a pretty outrageous episode in our club’s recent history.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 20, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 94
Newell sucked a lot of us in to be truthful at the start , let’s face it he had a good playing career then a ok period in managing however it literally took the kunt a matter of days before he started getting drunk. Within a 3 weeks I’d had 2 reports of him being drunk in boozers of the a16. The bit i find strange is if I knew of his antics and others how come it took the club ages to cotton on.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 20, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Newell sucked a lot of us in to be truthful at the start , let’s face it he had a good playing career then a ok period in managing however it literally took the kunt a matter of days before he started getting drunk. Within a 3 weeks I’d had 2 reports of him being drunk in boozers of the a16. The bit i find strange is if I knew of his antics and others how come it took the club ages to cotton on.

You only had to talk to any Luton Fan,it was an open secret,and demonstrates the appalling lack of due diligence undertaken  
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 14, 2020, 8:59pm; Reply: 96
I’m sure we’ll all be delighted to know that a second episode with Mr. Linwood has been recorded.

As you can imagine, he has continued to make himself sound like a delightful guy.
Posted by: Mariner16, January 14, 2020, 9:49pm; Reply: 97
Don't give the desperate wankbiscuit any attention
Posted by: Abdul19, January 14, 2020, 9:58pm; Reply: 98
John Welsh was on it a few weeks back. I didn't listen to it, but no doubt booting a pensioner was amazing banter #bantz.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 14, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 99
Linwood is a shameless girl private. First interview proved it, this one just makes it worse. Happy to take the urine out of hardworking supporters. Can’t get lower than that.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 12:30am; Reply: 100
Does anybody have a link to the new one? Can only seem to find the original.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 15, 2020, 12:47am; Reply: 101
Paul Linwood had a career as a professional footballer and did what with that career, intercourse all, what a loser.

He didn't have to go drinking, he didn't have to be a loser, he didn't have to be a waste of skin.

Paul Linwood chose to be a loser because that's all he has about him, I hope his flipping legs fall off, girl private.
Posted by: davmariner, January 15, 2020, 1:28am; Reply: 102
What a complete waste of space. It’s bad enough that he was actually a part of all those things but to now boast about it as if it’s something to be proud of is embarrassing.
Posted by: Oly1987, January 15, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 103
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Problem being we can probably do a 2nd and 3rd 11. You didn't include Forecast, Proudlock, Hamilton, Heywood or Butler for starters.

God I forgot about Forecast..... wish you hadnt reminded me! I would definitely put him in there over Colgan.
Posted by: ska face, January 15, 2020, 9:20am; Reply: 104
Imagine being one of the youth team players, coaches or parents at the time who were effectively shafted and had to spend the years after 2010 scratching around to keep the programme going - then hearing Linwood say “fucck em all”.

Rat
Posted by: Oly1987, January 15, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 105
Listening to that I have nothing but contempt for the whole urine taking squad. Decided to treat the club like a holiday. I also have even more sympathy for Woods than I already had after listening to that. He was never going to get a bunch of party boy girl privates playing for him because he actually wanted them to do their job! The biggest crime here is that if any of us had been doing this in our job we'd have been slung out and had our contracts torn up.
Posted by: dicko995, January 15, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 106
Its all in the Telegraph now, hes told us all to f*** off, what a *****
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 11:19am; Reply: 107
Poor old woodsy never had a chance
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 15, 2020, 11:23am; Reply: 108
This bloke is tottaly unbelievable, why can't he just shut the intercourse up and stop reminding everyone about this nightmare.

TBH Woods never stood any chance with that bunch of girl privates
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2020, 11:23am; Reply: 109
Quoted from dicko995
Its all in the Telegraph now, hes told us all to f*** off, what a *****

To be fair he explained his reason for holding that opinion- the abuse he received from GTFC fans after the initial podcast was released.

Whatever anybodies opinion of Linwood there is absolutely no excuse for directing personal abuse at him online.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 15, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 110
Quoted from GollyGTFC

To be fair he explained his reason for holding that opinion- the abuse he received from GTFC fans after the initial podcast was released.

Whatever anybodies opinion of Linwood there is absolutely no excuse for directing personal abuse at him online.

Can you honestly say that doing the interview in the first place was in his best interests?

'Oh, look at me, I took the urine while I was at Grimsby, as did my team-mates and the manager'. With all respect, he's put himself up there to be shot at.
Posted by: sam gy, January 15, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 111
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I mean, we were relegated to non-league for the first time in our history, took us 7 years to get back, lost our youth team funding, no doubt people lost their jobs and we had to cut our cloth accordingly, but yeah poor old Linwood - he was only having a bit of bAnTz.
Posted by: SomeSanity, January 15, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 112
What a plonker!
Posted by: mariner83, January 15, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 113

Former Grimsby Town defender Paul Linwood has refused to apologise to the club’s fans following his controversial appearance on a podcast last year.
Linwood appeared as a guest on the I Had Trials Once… podcast last summer, in which he went into detail about the drinking culture in the Mariners’ 2009/10 squad.

That season saw Town relegated from the Football League, and it subsequently took the club six years to make their return.
On the podcast, Linwood spoke about how he and other players would regularly drink alcohol on the way to training, and how then-manager Mike Newell would join players for their drinking sessions.
His comments angered many Town fans, particularly as Linwood appeared to show no remorse for his or his team-mates actions in what many supporters view as the club’s lowest point.

“We had a few beers, and then we start talking about football and Grimsby,” Linwood said, referencing his previous appearance.
“So I may have over-stepped the mark with some of the comments.”
One of the presenters remarked: “I think you sprinkled a little bit of sugar on it just to make the story sound a bit better."
Linwood replied: “No, I didn’t. They were the full stories, you’ve got to tell the truth.
“So we were saying we’d come out and do this, so I was just going to use this to apologise to none of them.

“F***ing not one of them because they abused me for f***ing months after it, so they can f*** off, all of them.”
Linwood spent just one season with the Mariners, leaving the club shortly after the relegation from the Football League.
He went on to play for Fleetwood before returning to one of his previous clubs in Chester in 2012.
The defender also played for the likes of Salford City, Connah's Quay Nomads and Ramsbottom United, before going on to Trafford FC.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 15, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You are so right.
The man clearly needs a big hug  having done nothing wrong (Who are we to judge) and we should start a crowd funding for some counselling ASAP.

#prayforpaullinwood.

FFS
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2020, 12:22pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Civvy at last

You are so right.
The man clearly needs a big hug  having done nothing wrong (Who are we to judge) and we should start a crowd funding for some counselling ASAP.

#prayforpaullinwood.

FFS

Sorry, but there is never any excuse for sending personal abuse to an individual online. EVER.

I actually found his first podcast appearance quite funny.

And if I hadn't listened to it in full I wouldn't know that Nathan Pond was the only player at Fleetwood who wouldn't join in with "C0ck Conkers".

And if I hadn't listened to the John Welsh podcast I wouldn't have heard the Dean Windass/Boaz Myhill bath story,
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 15, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, but there is never any excuse for sending personal abuse to an individual online. EVER.

And if I hadn't listened to it in full I wouldn't know that Nathan Pond was the only player at Fleetwood who wouldn't join in with "C0ck Conkers".

And if I hadn't listened to the John Welsh podcast I wouldn't have heard the Dean Windass/Boaz Myhill bath story,

I'm with Holloway that it is a privilege to play football for a living and if you don't work hard enough you soon drift out of the professional game as Linwood found out.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 15, 2020, 12:36pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC

yeah coz a man shitting in a bath whilst another mans in it is absolutely flipping hilarious...…...
i'd never give personal abuse out online but I understand in this case whilst its been done, linwood and the rest took the urine out of us all  
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 15, 2020, 12:40pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from GollyGTFC

intercourse off along with him then.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 15, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Even though he was/is being breathtakingly arrogant about taking the urine out of fans who regularly shell out 100's of pounds a year to keep him in lager?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Hagrid

[/b]
yeah coz a man shitting in a bath whilst another mans in it is absolutely flipping hilarious...…...
i'd never give personal abuse out online but I understand in this case whilst its been done, linwood and the rest took the urine out of us all  

I never said I found it hilarious, so please don't put words into my mouth. What it shows (as does the c0ck conkers at Fleetwood) the sort of things that really go on inside a club. I just think it's very interesting- the things that go on in changing rooms that would get you sacked and put on a register if you did them in the real world.

And no they didn't take the urine out of us. They simply drunk away their careers. Most of the senior players had already done so at a higher level. It's hardly surprising they carried on the same at GTFC when we had Newell and Stein in charge.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Even though he was/is being breathtakingly arrogant about taking the urine out of fans who regularly shell out 100's of pounds a year to keep him in lager?

The participants in that podcast all drink heavily before and during it being recorded don't they? Hardly surprising some of the people who appear don't necessarily cover themselves in glory.
Posted by: toontown, January 15, 2020, 12:50pm; Reply: 122
I think by promoting his behaviour online thru the podcast people are entitled to give their opinion to it online in return. Many of those opinions are likely to be found disagreeable by Linwood. Tough excrement. If you don't like people giving you stick online then don't go online telling tales of how you took the urine out of them and find it funny.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 15, 2020, 12:53pm; Reply: 123
If the manager isn't strong enough to deal with situations that happen with players such as the examples above, then what are they doing in charge in the first place. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe, woods should've got rid of them all when it started. If not all, then maybe string rid of one or two may have been a catalyst for the players to sort themselves out and probably, got some respect from the players.

Newell, Linwood and the rest of them can fu(k off back into their holes and never clamber out again. They should've been privalaged to play for the club not gone on the razz. I couldn't give a sh1t if they get offended with the abuse.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 15, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The participants in that podcast all drink heavily before and during it being recorded don't they? Hardly surprising some of the people who appear don't necessarily cover themselves in glory.

I hope any pensioners were all kept well away from John Welsh when he appeared on the podcast.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 125
Linwood, Newell and all the merry men stole a living from GTFC...and if someone stole a living off me I'd quite happily lambast them in public and online and expect others with morals and principles to join in..
So to Golly...stop trying to sound like you want to live in a nanny state..the man deserves all the dogs abuse he gets after the disrespect he has shown this club and the paying public/fans..
If you think it's acceptable that a man who kicked an old lass at a bus stop just because she didn't know who he was deserves airtime to tell his funnies then shame on you, not everything in this world is pink and fluffy I'm afraid!..
Posted by: sam gy, January 15, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
If the manager isn't strong enough to deal with situations that happen with players such as the examples above, then what are they doing in charge in the first place. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe, woods should've got rid of them all when it started. If not all, then maybe string rid of one or two may have been a catalyst for the players to sort themselves out and probably, got some respect from the players.

Newell, Linwood and the rest of them can fu(k off back into their holes and never clamber out again. They should've been privalaged to play for the club not gone on the razz. I couldn't give a sh1t if they get offended with the abuse.

I think to be fair to Woods, he off loaded as many players as he could when he took over or in the January. Obviously his hands were pretty tied though, imagine most of the seasons budget was blown already.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2020, 1:41pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Linwood, Newell and all the merry men stole a living from GTFC...and if someone stole a living off me I'd quite happily lambast them in public and online and expect others with morals and principles to join in..
So to Golly...stop trying to sound like you want to live in a nanny state..the man deserves all the dogs abuse he gets after the disrespect he has shown this club and the paying public/fans..
If you think it's acceptable that a man who kicked an old lass at a bus stop just because she didn't know who he was deserves airtime to tell his funnies then shame on you, not everything in this world is pink and fluffy I'm afraid!..

Nanny state & pink and fluffy my @rse. Typical of the modern attitude where everything is either black or white and has to be at one extreme or the other.

And re: John Welsh he was tried in a court of law. The matter has been dealt with. Would I talk to him if I bumped into him? No, Would I go up to him and abuse him? No. That doesn't mean I give a damn about him and his feelings. It's because decent human beings do not abuse other human beings. Anybody who has or condones sending personal abuse to Linwood, Welsh or whoever is not a decent human being in my opinion and is in no place to lecture anyone on other people's shortcomings.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Nanny state & pink and fluffy my @rse. Typical of the modern attitude where everything is either black or white and has to be at one extreme or the other.

And re: John Welsh he was tried in a court of law. The matter has been dealt with. Would I talk to him if I bumped into him? No, Would I go up to him and abuse him? No. That doesn't mean I give a damn about him and his feelings. It's because decent human beings do not abuse other human beings. Anybody who has or condones sending personal abuse to Linwood, Welsh or whoever is not a decent human being in my opinion and is in no place to lecture anyone on other people's shortcomings.

I've don't give 2 sh!ts about the man's feelings, next you'll be saying Peter Sutcliffe should've been given a cuddle and told "there, there, there, just because you killed 13 prostitute's we'll respect your feelings"...
Treat people how you wanted to be treated, with respect and you will get it back, be an ar£ehole and accept the flack that comes with that attitude...

Posted by: Kris2, January 15, 2020, 2:03pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Like none of the lot on here ever slacked off at work or played a few pranks in their time. As for Welsh, he got into a scuffle with a couple of butch lesbians and didn't use his best judgement and he's now been punished for it. She was 57, not even particularly old and probably gave as good as she got but came off far worse. Did you also constantly criticise Jolley for not using his best judgement and being a sex offender? I doubt it.

It's kind of funny when people act like they have forever been upstanding members of society and never once turned up to work drunk and stoned or did stuff for a laugh. Half you felicitations were probably riding your scooters to skip work and do a shitload of drugs and listen to ska instead.  ;D
Posted by: Mayaman, January 15, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Town fans paid his wages and he peed it up the wall.  He can do whatever he wants with his money but not when it stops him doing his job.  In addition, he's just lumped us all together.  I never slagged him off on line.  I'd like to meet him though.

Posted by: grimps, January 15, 2020, 2:17pm; Reply: 131
None of Woods squad would be fit to lace the boots of any of our current squad for commitment
Posted by: Abdul19, January 15, 2020, 2:28pm; Reply: 132
Linwood seems surprised by the abuse - what did he expect to happen?!

Amusing to see he's so obviously bothered by it too.
Posted by: Maringer, January 15, 2020, 2:41pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Kris2

Like none of the lot on here ever slacked off at work or played a few pranks in their time. As for Welsh, he got into a scuffle with a couple of butch lesbians and didn't use his best judgement and he's now been punished for it. She was 57, not even particularly old and probably gave as good as she got but came off far worse.

Ah, so it's OK to assault a woman over 20 years older than you if she's a lesbian? I'll have to remember that next time I decide to attack somebody at a bus stop. Best to check their sexuality first. Or even better, don't flipping well assault women (or anybody, for that matter), in the first place.

As for Linwood, rather than aggressively abusing him, I'd have gone with the more subtle approach, asking him if his family were proud of him?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 15, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Kris2

Like none of the lot on here ever slacked off at work or played a few pranks in their time. As for Welsh, he got into a scuffle with a couple of butch lesbians and didn't use his best judgement and he's now been punished for it. She was 57, not even particularly old and probably gave as good as she got but came off far worse. Did you also constantly criticise Jolley for not using his best judgement and being a sex offender? I doubt it.

It's kind of funny when people act like they have forever been upstanding members of society and never once turned up to work drunk and stoned or did stuff for a laugh. Half you felicitations were probably riding your scooters to skip work and do a shitload of drugs and listen to ska instead.  ;D

I turned up to work sober once. Never again!
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 15, 2020, 3:32pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That’s the last time I get on your bus !!!!!

Posted by: RichMariner, January 15, 2020, 3:36pm; Reply: 136
Linwood's Twitter profile says he has a wife, two kids and a dog.

I feel sorry for his kids. Their dad is not a role model. He's a failure.

In drinking his wage away he insulted every single Town fan. He's a selfish nobody.

Let him live in a world where the only people who want to talk to him are drunk-up podcast makers. Because that's where he belongs.

And that's exactly where his kids will end up.

Still, as long as his bantz is strong, intercourse everything else.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 15, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 137
Have to say, if he’d have come out and said that they were embarrassing professionals and literally took the urine and offered an apology for their childish and unprofessional attitude then fair do’s but he didn’t.

He almost told it like it was funny. Whether footballers care about the fans is irrelevant, surely they have a professional pride. Nobody is saying that people can’t have fun, play pranks and may on occasions have an off day but he essentially admitted they didn’t care and implied that the leadership thought it was funny and would join in.

Long term, they only have themselves to blame for effectively ruining their careers but I guess it hits a nerve of paying fans.

Personally I don’t want him to apologise, especially if it’s some flimsy emotionless apology which it would be, otherwise he’d have been a little more sensible in the original pod cast. Perhaps, if he had anything about him he’d have used it as a platform to influence and explain that it’s a short lived career, money isn’t readily available when you’re down the bottom end and hanging around in boozers and drinking on the way for training etc simply isn’t acceptable. He didn’t.

The whole thing is as embarrassing as the club was at the time.
Posted by: Kris2, January 15, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Maringer

Ah, so it's OK to assault a woman over 20 years older than you if she's a lesbian? I'll have to remember that next time I decide to attack somebody at a bus stop. Best to check their sexuality first. Or even better, don't flipping well assault women (or anybody, for that matter), in the first place.

As for Linwood, rather than aggressively abusing him, I'd have gone with the more subtle approach, asking him if his family were proud of him?

She wasn't some little old dear as people keep painting it, she also admitted that there was an argument that she got involved in while waiting for a taxi. I guess women are allowed to start a fight and get away with it anyway so that's the world we live in. Aggressive bull dykes can bully their way through life and get a payoff when the big bad footballer maybe goes way too far because they wouldn't sodomist off.
Posted by: Kris2, January 15, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Probably the case for most on here. Down the docks in their youth sticking the fish down their pants and dancing around to "baggy trousers" while others pay for them to do so. Everyone seems to miss those days and I can see why. You were getting to work on the urine and getting paid for it then going down to fight the Millwall on the weekend.  ;D

Now you're a bunch of morning old twits with one foot in the grave.  
Posted by: Garth, January 15, 2020, 7:53pm; Reply: 140
I remember going to a meet the manager do, with Newell and Stein on the front table, Newell was sporting the biggest black eye I'd ever seen, and joked it away saying he had chased one of his kids around the farm where he was staying and ran head first into a stationary plough.
Thought it was a lie at the time due to his attitude, wonder if someone stuck one on him, understandable now was his fracas with our leader
Posted by: denni266, January 15, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 141
What a tosser and a loooooooserrrrr
Posted by: jaygy, January 15, 2020, 9:29pm; Reply: 142
He's 36 years old!? He looks absolutely knackered! He should have laid off the beers and he might have still been playing now
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 15, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from Kris2

Probably the case for most on here. Down the docks in their youth sticking the fish down their pants and dancing around to "baggy trousers" while others pay for them to do so. Everyone seems to miss those days and I can see why. You were getting to work on the urine and getting paid for it then going down to fight the Millwall on the weekend.  ;D

Now you're a bunch of morning old twits with one foot in the grave.  

I don’t recall any of those firms almost going bust because of those antics Chris.

I don’t recall thousands of people paying good money to watch their filleting skills only to go home disappointed week after week.

I don’t recall any of those dockies then going on social media to take the p1ss out if their employers and customers.

And if Linwood wanted the odd punch up with like minded people in his own time I wouldn’t give a shiny sh1t.

And Swin is a far far better troll than you’ll ever be. So you can’t win that one either.

UTM.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 15, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 144
helmet on his high horse as usual.
Posted by: toontown, January 15, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Except of course the situation  is quite different to the one you describe above. Linwood wasn't minding his own business and people suddenly abused him online. He was online making fun of how he took the urine out of town and didn't care and got us relegated and didn't give a excrement.
The "if you met him in the street equivalent" situation is him going up to loads of town fans saying, "ha I played for you lot, took the urine big time, got you relegated. When you were paying me to represent you and travelling all over to support and encourage me I was getting drunk and didn't give a excrement. Made mugs of you lot". Then him being surprised when the group he had said that to reacted to his provocation and insulting behaviour with abuse.
If that group did react it wouldn't mean they were not decent people. It would take exceptional levels of restraint not to react to that behaviour.
Linwood certainly can have no complaints that his online mouthing off about his urine taking of grimsby town and it's fans has resulted in an online response.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 16, 2020, 5:36am; Reply: 146
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I never said I found it hilarious, so please don't put words into my mouth. What it shows (as does the c0ck conkers at Fleetwood) the sort of things that really go on inside a club. I just think it's very interesting- the things that go on in changing rooms that would get you sacked and put on a register if you did them in the real world.

And no they didn't take the urine out of us. They simply drunk away their careers. Most of the senior players had already done so at a higher level. It's hardly surprising they carried on the same at GTFC when we had Newell and Stein in charge.

Yes Paul...
Posted by: nightrider, April 10, 2020, 9:57pm; Reply: 147
Interview with Lee Ashcroft incase it hasn't been mentioned
Not much on Town - make of that what you will. Approx 20mins and 39mins. I think players have learned to keep their mouths shut  ;D

https://youtu.be/ujCUU9MCwQs
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:33am