Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 369 Guests

Paul Linwood Interview

This thread currently has 30,907 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
geir
May 15, 2019, 10:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Most of that squad were at semi pro teams within a few years, what a bunch of girl privates, and poor woodsy.

This is why we need to support our manager though, remember this was jolleys first ever full season(start to finish) in charge of a professional team, think about how valuable a few years experience has been in your own jobs. I really don't want to ever be a merry go round club for managers or players ever again, because that's what can happen.

Couldn`t be said any better than above!

Regarding the interview: We were lucky that Ryan Bennett, who played for us at the time, obviously didn`t follow the rest of those seasoned "pros" ("Pro" used extremely lightly) into alcoholism. We never would have earned those very welcome transfer fees if that was the case. I wonder if other young players, who later gave up on their careers, followed those elder players into the pub and onto the end of their short careers? It`s very easy to be influenced by what older guys does at that age...
And I really do not have any words strong enough to describe how much I despise Newell and those guys like Linwood who made fools of the fans who paid their hard-earned money to watch the team. If I were an employer, I definitely wouldn`t want to hire people with such unprofessional ways of conducting their business. Disgrace!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 147
cardiffmariner
May 15, 2019, 10:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pen penfras

So renowned for it that his appointment was met with overwhelming approval and optimism amongst the supporters. His previous job at Luton was successful. I don't remember anybody saying we shouldn't have hired that urine head...

I seen this said before, and didn’t agree then either.

His previous job was with Hartlepool where it was well known he had an issue with drink. A housemate of mine at the time was a Hartlepool fan and told me several stories of his antics, including being drunk up at the services on the way to a game. If he was aware of this then I struggle to see how due diligence from Fenty wouldn’t have uncovered Newells love of the beer. I can’t for one minute think he didn’t know but he saw a relatively ‘big’ name who needed a job.

I take your point that many lauded what Fenty did but if you ‘didn’t hear anyone saying we shouldn’t have hired that urine head’ then you weren’t  listening closely enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 147
friskneymariner
May 15, 2019, 10:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
It was an open secret in Luton that Newell had a problem with drink and surrounded himself with similar people.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 147
Poojah
May 15, 2019, 10:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Wow. I saw the thread and wondered how bad it could really be; but there were some pretty shocking revelations there. In that context, you have to credit Woodstock for turning it around sufficiently that it even went to the last game of the season.

Completely changes my perception of him as a manager actually.

Incidentally, at the time I knew a lad whose family owned a pub in Leeds regularly frequented by Barry Conlon (I have his autograph on a beer mat). I won’t repeat some of the stories I was told, but they very much align with this (and worse) - it just corroborates it really.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 147
marinerdazza
May 15, 2019, 11:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Poojah

Incidentally, at the time I knew a lad whose family owned a pub in Leeds regularly frequented by Barry Conlon (I have his autograph on a beer mat). I won’t repeat some of the stories I was told, but they very much align with this (and worse) - it just corroborates it really.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.

I lived in Headingley at the time....imagine my surprise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 147
promotion plaice
May 15, 2019, 11:11pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

I'm surprised none of them had a beer belly.    

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 147
arryarryarry
May 15, 2019, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from tarka

In John Fenty's defence Neil Woods wasn't his choice...he wanted Slade (for better or worse!) but was outvoted by the rest of the Board.

That may have been the case but he should have sacked him during that dreadful run without a win
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 147
Caesar
May 15, 2019, 11:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I am furious having listened to that. Its not just the lack of care at the time, if I had behaved anything like those tossers I would be ashamed in hindsight, he seems to revel in it. Fine you may not like Grimsby as a place but to show that level of disrespect to a club is disgraceful.

The main thing it makes me do is admire Woods, no chance in hell to turn that toxic environment around, .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 147
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2019, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah
Wow. I saw the thread and wondered how bad it could really be; but there were some pretty shocking revelations there. In that context, you have to credit Woodstock for turning it around sufficiently that it even went to the last game of the season.

Completely changes my perception of him as a manager actually.

Fúcking bunch of cúnts.

Your famous rant of the time seems even more appropriate now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 147
promotion plaice
May 15, 2019, 11:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

Can anyone provide a link please without having to sign in to Spotify or whatever it is ???

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.