tarka
May 15, 2019, 7:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I've not listened to the interview BUT...

It's the manager's job to get the best out of the players at his disposal. You can't do that if you alienate them all even if you think you're right. A good manager picks his battles carefully. The only battle Woods had was to keep us in the football league, not to turn the playing squad tee-total. If Woods had done that he could have changed the culture of the club in the summer by releasing players he didn't want en-masse.

I suggest you listen to it... if I had been one of that bunch of tossers I'd have felt embarrassed but this particular character seems to think it was funny. How anyone can apportion blame to Neil Woods after listening to that drivel is beyond me....a bunch of beer swilling no-hopers who treated the club, the fans and their own profession with contempt.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 147
LondonMariner43
May 15, 2019, 7:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Appalling.  What a feeble excuse for a professional footballer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 147
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 15, 2019, 7:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t think we blamed Neil Woods, we blamed the one who appointed him and who must have known the score with that gang.

What I did blame Neil for was not getting us back up straightaway by not realising the sort of players and tactics needed to get out of the conference.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 147
tarka
May 15, 2019, 7:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
I don’t think we blamed Neil Woods, we blamed the one who appointed him and who must have known the score with that gang.

What I did blame Neil for was not getting us back up straightaway by not realising the sort of players and tactics needed to get out of the conference.

I was referring to the comment about a good manager picking his battles carefully....Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been able to do much with that bunch....
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 147
cardiffmariner
May 15, 2019, 7:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I've not listened to the interview BUT...

It's the manager's job to get the best out of the players at his disposal. You can't do that if you alienate them all even if you think you're right. A good manager picks his battles carefully. The only battle Woods had was to keep us in the football league, not to turn the playing squad tee-total. If Woods had done that he could have changed the culture of the club in the summer by releasing players he didn't want en-masse.

As has already been said, you shouldn’t  pass comment without listening - you make yourself look foolish. It is a toe-curlingly bad interview that shines a light on what most of us already knew. They took the urine out of every single fan who ever paid their cash to watch them play.

Rather than lambasting Woods, take a minute to question why Fenty ever appointed a manager who was renowned for his drinking antics and, more worryingly, allowed that to then permeate the entire team whilst he was in charge of us.

Fenty and the rest of the board got us relegated to the conference, not Woods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 147
MuddyWaters
May 15, 2019, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Trying to work out whether I’m more angry about the pisstaking by the players or Mr Fenty for not sacking Newell sooner.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 147
Rodley Mariner
May 15, 2019, 7:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
It was actually hugely unfair to give a youth team coach, with no first team management experience that bunch of useless, feckless girl privates and expect him to keep them in the league.

As for that sniggering Manc/Scouse/whatever the intercourse he is girl private Linwood, he might think it's funny to slag off Grimsby and talk about cans of Fosters on the way to training but how funny does he find it that he ended up at Connah's Quay and Ramsbottom United. You might have hated Grimsby Paul but reside safe in the knowledge that we hate you and waster arseholes like Proudlock and Conlon a lot more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 147
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 15, 2019, 7:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from tarka

I was referring to the comment about a good manager picking his battles carefully....Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been able to do much with that bunch....

It’s OK tarka, I agree. I was just making a general comment about Woods.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 147
blundellpork
May 15, 2019, 7:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 32
Whilst there have been plenty of rumours and stories, to listen to how he laughed it off was a disgrace. They simply didn’t care.

‘Newell joined us at the pub’, ‘we finished drinking at 5am and had to be at training at 9am’, ‘some of the lads drank a can of Fosters on the way to training’.

They may have loved Newell, but quite frankly the culture he created was disgraceful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 147
Abdul19
May 15, 2019, 7:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
The booze has obviously got to Linwood's memory a bit as he seems to think we were "just clawing it back" and "turning it around" when Newell was sacked.

We'd lost 4 on the bounce!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.