Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

Fenty Out

This thread currently has 43,745 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
April 25, 2019, 1:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with everything you say up until the last sentence..

The last sentence is utter bullshitt and really unfair on some posters on here that have tried to make a difference but have been met with a brick wall. Others will speak for themselves but for your information so you can get your facts straight..

I've offered my services to the Trust if ever they want to change tack and look to raise funds to take the club over or take it upon themselves to market for potential investors.

I've offered my PR services to GTFC for free but said it wouldn't work because I was in a different country. I'm sure that internet thingy started thirty years ago didn't it?

I've also provided the club with the contact details of a world-famous retired soccer star that is looking to buy a football club. It would have been only a prospective punt but that punt would have taken little effort or time. The contact was never followed up and dismissed. I was also told that the the old GTFC investment prospectus hadn't been updated for years. So much for the board proactively looking for investors. Absolutely no presence of looking for investment online like a prospectus page on the official website or any presence on the club's social media outlets. Just archaic and stinks of the 70s, wood-panelled boardroom walls and chats in cigar filled smokey rooms over a single malt (blend in GTFC's case).

So yet again the club has been at its lowest ebb for twenty years, doing practically fook all about it and no one is allowed to moan about it unless they're going to take the club over. Talk about passing the buck. What the fook should the custodians be doing? It's their responsibility to secure the future of the club not their paying public who deserve their say. It's often forgotten that they're the lifeblood of the club and actually keep their club going while others do not invest anything at all, not even expertise unfortunately.

This subject wouldn't keep coming up if the club had some modicum of success over the years. Yet, here we are after twenty years still waiting for our second chance of finishing in the top half of the fourth tier in English football, can't sell more than 3.5k home tickets with free ticket and slashed price offers for a Bank Holiday Monday game, and cohorts of our owner just want to wade into what's left of the remaining fanbase who are on the verge of total apathy and in the last throes of protest. Unbelievably complacent and misguided actions of the cohorts in my book.

So.. I'll bang the drum as hard as I can with a clear conscience until there's significant change at the top of our football club, and when it finally happens, GTFC will be all the better for it..

Maybe you've tried to do something in offering services, whatever that means, and making suggestions. The suggestions are speculative and probably wouldn't have led anywhere if they had been pursued, but should have been looked into regardless if there was any foundation. But you having done something doesn't mean that everybody is, all most people seem to do is come up with "the trust should do something", despite them repeatedly saying that nobody on the trust has the desire to pursue the ownership and running of the club.

If the general consensus really is that the fans want a change and want to pursue fan ownership, then setting up a fund raiser and getting people on board through the many means available nowadays should at least give a good indication that this is what the majority want. The fact that nobody has even attempted this, as far as I know, makes me think that this is much more of a minority than certain posters try to have us believe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 298
ska face
April 25, 2019, 1:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from rancido

You won't let it lie because we have different views and it's got nothing to do with "self-pitying victim" because I am certainly not a victim of anything n this thread or any other. ps and you still had no answer or speculative thoughts on our situation if JF had not stepped in all those years ago!

Speculative thoughts? Erm...who cares? Why waste the energy even thinking about it?

What people want is change in the future, fans deserve and demand better, serfs like yourself are holding the club back.
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 298
Bigdog
April 25, 2019, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

Maybe you've tried to do something in offering services, whatever that means, and making suggestions.The suggestions are speculative and probably wouldn't have led anywhere if they had been pursued, but should have been looked into regardless if there was any foundation. But you having done something doesn't mean that everybody is, all most people seem to do is come up with "the trust should do something", despite them repeatedly saying that nobody on the trust has the desire to pursue the ownership and running of the club.

If the general consensus really is that the fans want a change and want to pursue fan ownership, then setting up a fund raiser and getting people on board through the many means available nowadays should at least give a good indication that this is what the majority want. The fact that nobody has even attempted this, as far as I know, makes me think that this is much more of a minority than certain posters try to have us believe.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't dismiss it, but I'm not in favour of a purely fan led run football club. I'm more inclined to believe that the best way foward is for a group of able fans putting together ther own marketing prospectus to find investors themselves who would entertain fan representation on the board and bring substantial cash to the table. As for minorities and majorities, I would guess the majority of the fanbase of the club have given up and become totally apathetic towards the club over the years. What we've got left is a 3k hardcore that are fast running out of patience , on the verge of apathy and probably haven't the werewithal between them to do anything significant about the situation. The fact remains that the responsibility of the future of the football club lies with the custodians of the club and the paying customers have every right to be critical of the performance of the said custodians without being subjected to childish comments of if you're not doing anything about it yourselves you can't have a say. I wouldn't say that GTFC is in crisis (yet) but by heck we're in one massive slump that we don't seem to have any hope of getting out of. I think there's been little activity to change the club for the long term betterment over the past two decades, it could be easily called a complete failure or unmitigated disaster and passing the buck of responsibility over to the fans is absolving the ultimate responsibility which firmly lays in the hands of the board..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 298
rancido
April 25, 2019, 1:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Newport seem to be managing OK.

That doesn't answer the question of who would financially bankroll GTFC if JF was to just go? I will be glad when he does go though  because when he does then I will thoroughly enjoy watching town back in The Championship , financially secure and experiencing long cup runs when we knock out all those Premiersh*t teams like we used to.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 298
MarinerDevil
April 25, 2019, 1:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from jock dock tower
We've had Trusts, we've had Fan Ownership, but how about an amalgam of the two such as a Co-Operative? I have absolutely no idea whether it would work, but it's a model that suits thousands of other businesses across the UK so why not football?

I've often thought about the possibility of co-operatives being tried as a new ownership model for football clubs in England.  It seems to work for certain super-clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid, who are wholly owned by their members.  

The fans would have to acquire all shares in GTFC to put this into practice though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 298
rancido
April 25, 2019, 1:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face

Speculative thoughts? Erm...who cares? Why waste the energy even thinking about it?

What people want is change in the future, fans deserve and demand better, serfs like yourself are holding the club back.

.....and then you lose all possible credence in you argument with the expression "serfs like yourself " in reference to me. It's always the last resort to use insults when you don't actually have a concrete answer or alternative.I want change as much as anybody but I'm still waiting for the positive alternative to come along,u unless of course you already know something.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 298
ska face
April 25, 2019, 2:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from rancido

.....and then you lose all possible credence in you argument with the expression "serfs like yourself " in reference to me. It's always the last resort to use insults when you don't actually have a concrete answer or alternative.I want change as much as anybody but I'm still waiting for the positive alternative to come along,u unless of course you already know something.

I think you’ll find personal insults are generally my first response, rather than last resort.

Anyway, people are suggesting positive alternatives every single day of the week on here, on social media, at fans’ forums, at matches - you will not find an industry where people are so desperate to hand you their money and then voluntarily suggest better ways for a business to take MORE of their money. Alternatives to what we currently get have included-

- getting season tickets on sale earlier
- the club understanding their fans and potential market
- a better ticketing system
- better treatment from matchday staff
- better catering options
- more innovative approaches to low engagement
- a move away from “bargain basement” approaches and an active attempt to improve the match day experience
- a move away from the same fans being treated like cash cows & rung dry season on season
- a bit of positivity around relocation
- an appreciation of why fans are fed up
- not being dug out in the press by the manager when people have had to endure 20 years of garbage

Fans want change and want to be valued. If we are asking for these things year on year on year and getting the same treatment from the same people, that’s why fans can’t see any other option than removing what many think is the root of the problem.

Private Message
Reply: 246 - 298
diehardmariner
April 25, 2019, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,623
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails
You lot are up a F'ing tree. Same sh1t different thread. How on earth do you think you all be able to come to a decision on a sale of a player or running of the club. Who would keep the bank balance afloat? Who's going to be responsible for keeping club in the black? Who's going to represent the club? Give your heads a wobble and get back in the real world!!

• How on earth do you think you all be able to come to a decision on a sale of a player or running of the club

Fan elected representative/representatives with a set term to make such decisions.  Similar to the way my building society is run.  I don't make any day-to-day decisions on how they're run but my vote (should I use it) is there for me to use.

• Who would keep the bank balance afloat?

Despite the fact that we're run like a bag of excrement, we've managed to maintain a steady financial ship in the last few years which has included the ability to pay back some of those infamous benign loans. It wouldn't take a financial expert to work out what our core business is on a year-to-year basis.  You work out your budget based on that and cut your cloth accordingly each year.  Any additional income from ticket sales, boosted merchandise, cup runs, player sales etc. is a bonus and can be used as seen fit, I would favour some reinvestment in the physical and development infrastructure (ground, youth development, training facilities), some going into the rainy day fund and some going towards either giving the manager an extra bit of a budget or a war chest. On an annual basis the expectations for ticket sales, merchandise sales, corporate sales are reviewed with fresh targets set.

• Who's going to be responsible for keeping club in the black?

See above, a reasonably well run business doesn't need anyone to keep it in the black.  We do not need to be bankrolled by anyone.  We just need to run far better.

• Who's going to represent the club?

See the first point.  Representative elected by the fans.  I'm pretty sure this is what happens at other fan run clubs without any major issues.

There are, in my opinion, no viable or credible reasons for not having fan ownership.  Grimsby Town under the running of John Fenty is a failure.  Both on and off the pitch it is an absolute disaster.  I don't question that Fenty believes he's doing the right thing or that he's doing it for anything other than a genuine love for the club, unfortunately he's doing it all wrong.  

Be it fan ownership, a new majority shareholder or even a John Fenty with a change of heart and approach - there's no reason why this football club cannot be run as a successful entity.  
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 298
golfer
April 25, 2019, 4:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 116
Elected representation always works and always will-it enables the paying public to have their say . It is a form of democracy-a good example of this is the way BREXIT has been handled by our representatives in Parliament. But roll it on- If we have a bad winter and matches are postponed we can club together to pay wages. we can be the security at the bank for anything required. O.K. let's start by every season ticket holder chipping in with £1000..  How many of us know millionaires who will buy JSF out-come on they are 10 a penny. Everybody is coming up with suggestions but no sensible ideas-but then it's not real money because it's not ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 298
billynomates
April 25, 2019, 5:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You ok John?

more like Linsey loo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 298
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.