30 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
April 27, 2019, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I think J.S.F. would have ensured the players wages got paid. He seems that sort of fella.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 298
HackneyHaddock
April 27, 2019, 8:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from golfer
I think J.S.F. would have ensured the players wages got paid. He seems that sort of fella.

I agree.  For all his faults and as much as I want new leadership at the club, JSF would never withhold wages from club staff.  He is a supporter and a decent person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 298
dapperz fun pub
April 27, 2019, 9:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

I agree.  For all his faults and as much as I want new leadership at the club, JSF would never withhold wages from club staff.  He is a supporter and a decent person.

Decent bloke maybe but after all these years of tosh the common denominator is fenty being in charge , that’s simply not coincidence.the club needs fresh ideas a different approach somebody who really is in tune with the way modern football works
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 298
SomeSanity
April 27, 2019, 10:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Bolton is a completely different situation to ours. JF  would lose his money, and benign loans of town went bust.  Would he be prepared to do that? Nah.

The lack on investment on his side tells me one thing. ( please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong anybody) It looks to me that Mr F is waiting for something to happen. My guess is that the plan is to hold out for a new ground. The land Bp stands on will go to him  to clear off any outstanding benign loans and then houses will be built on it for a profit. Then he will leave with the club in a ‘better’ position because it has a new ground. Just a theory. Why else would you have a football club you are willing to let stagnate?

My big gripe is and always will be the day to day running of the club. Complete shambles.

See you all at County
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 283 - 298
lew chaterleys lover
April 27, 2019, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from SomeSanity
Bolton is a completely different situation to ours. JF  would lose his money, and benign loans of town went bust.  Would he be prepared to do that? Nah.

The lack on investment on his side tells me one thing. ( please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong anybody) It looks to me that Mr F is waiting for something to happen. My guess is that the plan is to hold out for a new ground. The land Bp stands on will go to him  to clear off any outstanding benign loans and then houses will be built on it for a profit. Then he will leave with the club in a ‘better’ position because it has a new ground. Just a theory. Why else would you have a football club you are willing to let stagnate?

My big gripe is and always will be the day to day running of the club. Complete shambles.

See you all at County

He has always wanted that hasn't he? Obviously in the earlier days he hoped he would make a profit in some way from a new stadium, but as you say I imagine now he would be happy just to clear his loans.

The trouble is the football club has been effectively mothballed till his "plan" comes to fruition; he does not seem to have any plan B and has allowed the club to stagnate and the stadium to decay whilst we are all waiting.

It is part circumstance and part poor contingency planning I suppose that has got us to where we are, but the question now is what to do about it?

A fans consortium is a no goer, as not many people will be willing to help pay him for his mistakes; we are therefore at the mercy of a takeover group of wealthy individuals who might be able to come to some sort of a deal, or indeed if the new stadium does ever come about. None of those options are likely really are they, so the club will just hobble along till we either get some footballing fortune or are relegated.

We desperately need a new start, but God knows where it is going to come from.
Private Message
Reply: 284 - 298
Vance Warner
April 27, 2019, 10:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,807
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from diehardmariner

We've operated like a sack of spuds for the past god knows how many years, seven of which were in the fifth tier where your income is cut off from the tiers above.  We didn't need any bailing out then.  Why would we need it in the future?  It's not a difficult business model.  To an extent there's as close as you can get to guaranteed income every summer and every second week.  There's not too many businesses that have that luxury.

With absolutely no effort at all the club can sell 2,200-2,500 season tickets.   Add another average 1,000 on the gate each home fixture.  Again doesn't matter what effort they make or how well we're doing, those bums will be on seats.  Might be more when it's nice weather, probably less when it's bitterly cold.  It levels out.  You factor your budget around those worst-case scenarios.  If the club is well run it should sell far more tickets, far more shirts, far more pies, pints, programmes...  Heck, if the club looked after its fans there's a chance more people would come and keep coming too!

This idea that Fenty is bailing us out and is safeguarding us from the abyss is ridiculous.  We're at the level we're at because of his mis-management.  The club don't owe him anything.  The money he put in was to cover the shortfall caused by his own failings.  Any suggestion that he has a valid stake in the club is outrageous in my opinion.  Even so, it's what it is.  I truly believe a fan run GTFC would have the ability to pay of John Fenty's loans at an agreed rate should he be prepared to hand it over.

In the past five years there have been countless opportunities to capitalise on genuine interest in the football club from those not already invested.  We've wasted every single one of the those opportunities under the leadership of John Fenty.  That's not a quirk or anomaly, it's a pattern.  A pattern that's based on the fact that he simply is not good enough to run this football club.  We're absolutely stagnant, dead in the water at the minute.  So much so that we're getting overtaken by far smaller clubs with less potential.  flipping Lincoln City dwarf us now! Lincoln!  This club used to have a reach right into the depths of Lincolnshire, our fan base encroached right onto their City borders.  Now they double (could sell more if they had the chance) our gates, treble our ambition and quadruple our actual output.  That's the hotbed of football that is Lincoln City, 4 seasons ago they brought 500 to Blundell Park.  How on earth do you go from that to League Two Champions, new training ground, sell-out fixtures every week?  By having someone with the ability to think beyond their own nose.  They had a bit of this fabled 'football fortune' and they capitalised on it.  

Was it luck or was it well-judged to bring the Cowley's in.  Probably a bit of both.  No-one could have predicted how well they would have done, but it was a good move.  The cup run was fortunate, I'm not denying they didn't deserve their run but it's always good luck to get a cup run.  They capitalised on that.  They built  on that new found interest.  We've had cup runs before, bloody hell we've been to Wembley more times in the last 5 years than most clubs in the league system.  Each time we've taken a minimum of 10,000 - well over half our average home gate.  How many of them did we keep hold of and are now at Blundell Park every other week?  None.  Lincoln were going for promotion and used that as a marketing drive, we were going for promotion 4 seasons running.  I don't remember  our gates shooting up, probably because the club still made you feel like a piece of crap for wanting to watch a game.  Lincoln got promoted and used their momentum to move things forward across all levels of the club.  What did we do?  Sneaked  our season ticket  prices up and told the manager he couldn't have a new fitness coach.  

The worst part of it?  All that has happened during the BEST period of  Fenty's regime.  All those epidemic failures have occurred whilst we've been doing well on the field.  Every time there's a basketcase club that's getting wound up we're told 'just think how lucky we are'.  Are we?  Yeah the likes of the Oyston family and that bloke at Bolton are exactly what you don't want at your football club.  No-one wants them.  But just because there's a few bad owners out there, it doesn't mean we have to settle for absolute failure from the current regime....does it?

Best post I've seen on here in ages. Been to less games this season than any season for 25 years and my enthusiasm is waning due to a complete lack of vision and repeated mistakes at the top. If you stand still in football you soon go backwards and we all know where that takes us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 298
barralad
April 27, 2019, 12:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from SomeSanity

See you all at County

I'm led to believe that the market value of the land on which B.P. sits has a market value well below £1M.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 298
rancido
April 27, 2019, 12:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

And your problem with people who give Fenty stick is what? You even claim to be 'no fan of his' yourself, yet you're always quick to jump to his defence and never deign to criticise the great man. I don't think you're the neutral you clim to be.

To be fair to you, you do comment on other subjects unlike Fishytails and Penfriend.

If you bothered to read my posts then I have never claimed to be a fan of JF or a Fentyista. He has made many mistakes and to be fair to the man he has admitted it .He is very limited in his approach on running a football club and he seems to think it's like running a factory with an end product that goes to a third party. He is probably quite adept at controlling the finances and reducing overheads. Unfortunately the whole football industry is totally different. It's one thing buying equipment to do a specific job ie a filleting machine and employ people who can run it. The machine has a fixed, proven capacity and an operative can be taught to run it properly to achieve a known output. Footballers and football managers are not machines .They have good days, bad days and indifferent ones. Your manager is also a variable quantity - does well at one site but not at others. I don't think JF has fully grasped this and I think a lot of his decisions reflect this. fact I'm on record on this site as frequently saying I want him out. That doesn't mean I am not allowed to defend him on some issues. The problem is that attitudes on this site are very polarised and it seems to be the case that you either hate  him or support him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 298
golfer
April 27, 2019, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
A lot of people hate people who have different opinions to themselves. They hate for hatings sake. If J.S.F. surrendered his loans and fked off they would say there is some ulterior motive, he's left the club in the shite-the selfish illegitimate etc. Most of them hate people who side with J.S.F. Look at all the stupid hair-brained suggestions they make eg 3000 season ticket holders lumping £1K each to buy him out. I've seen more brains in a pisshowse. It'll be suggested next that we build a stadium on No 1 fishdock,have the car park at P.Parkway and build the houses at Brentford because they will be worth more. And they wouldn't be joking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 288 - 298
KingstonMariner
April 27, 2019, 3:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
A lot of people hate people who have different opinions to themselves. They hate for hatings sake. If J.S.F. surrendered his loans and fked off they would say there is some ulterior motive, he's left the club in the shite-the selfish illegitimate etc. Most of them hate people who side with J.S.F. Look at all the stupid hair-brained suggestions they make eg 3000 season ticket holders lumping £1K each to buy him out. I've seen more brains in a pisshowse. It'll be suggested next that we build a stadium on No 1 fishdock,have the car park at P.Parkway and build the houses at Brentford because they will be worth more. And they wouldn't be joking.

People don't hate people who support JSF for the sake of it. If they do it's because a lot of them like you make statements like the one I underlined. Your contempt for other people is what provokes it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 289 - 298
30 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty Out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.