KingstonMariner
February 6, 2019, 11:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mirrorballman

That's a disappointing attitude. The type of negative mindset that will keep the town and the club stuck in the dark ages.

The town Freeman and the council have been really proactive here. They have gone well beyond their remit and prepared stadium designs and placed them at the heart of the community. All for the benefit of GY and GTFC. That's the same council that rightly or wrongly, has been criticised for hindering the club down the years. You've greeted it with the same tired old Fentyisms, 'dead duck', 'magical money pot', ' where's the enabling development?'. Well for starters, the council look to have secured the backing of Ibis Hotels for the development. That's more than it would appear Peaks Parkway got.

The funding doesn't have to come from houses. In fact, if the failure of PP is anything to go by, they should be down the list as potential sources of income. I bet there are thousands of fans that would be willing to commit to a share or debenture scheme to help fund the project. Grants will be available for the stadium. The renewable energy boom is going to take hold, can we partner with firms to benefit from that perhaps.

Old thinking has got us nowhere. We need to approach this opportunity differently. The council have given us a great vision here. As Nigel Lowther last year, let's focus on the goal and not the obstacles. Otherwise we will rot in BP with the rest of the town.

It may not be much but already they have tenants' names on board, which is way ahead of anything coming out of the Peaks Parkway scheme.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 127
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 6, 2019, 11:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Now I have seen the pics, I believe this must go ahead.  The infrastructure is there, bus and tarin routes already well established.  There are plenty of places to eat and drink, and I am sure more will spring up.  Freeman Street is rotting, Asda alone cannot keep it going.  The new stadium and the Ibis hotel, which I am sure will have the conference facilities required. Until a better plan is announced I cannot see what is not to like.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 127
arryarryarry
February 7, 2019, 4:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

why did it cost the club 500k as the player budget would have been more if we had stayed in L2 which would have taken most or all the 500k a year. the Club made more money in the conference than it ever would have staying in L2, Dont get me wrong it was the worst 6 years football wise the club and fans have ever seen but financially it was not the worst time in the clubs history.

Isn't that what JF said when interviewed immediately after the Burton defeat?

I assume he was talking about the funding for not being in League 2 such as TV money, advertising etc.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 127
February 7, 2019, 4:22am
Guest User
None of this bodes well for the J Fenty Q & A!!
He will get hammered, go into meltdown, insult someone and storm out.
This was always a bad idea!!
Please don’t wear your Starsky and Hutch Rig John, it will only make things worse!!
Reply: 63 - 127
Mrs Doyle
February 7, 2019, 6:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from hheh2
New stadium is one thing but the Town desperately needs a retail district representative of the 21st century.

Err............ have you not noticed the state of retail at the moment?

Retail is being killed off at an alarming rate by online shopping.

Most towns and cities, not just ours are full of boarded-up shops.

Even the big names are struggling sorry if you are relying on retail alone to fund the stadium we are fecked unless you can get Aldi or Lidl on board lol.

The Freemans plans look fab and this is a rare once in a lifetime opportunity to revamp this innercity area now space is being created and funding does seem to be there. Ibis Hotels are a big hitter.

The Ramsden plan to would also extend this area further.

Several other money people want this to happen, take the plunge anything is better than this slow death of our Town and Club.

That said we have had this promise of a new stadium with glossy images before and been shot down I won't believe it until the builders start putting in the foundations.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....-2515438?fbclid=IwAR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 127
1mickylyons
February 7, 2019, 6:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from friskneymariner
The question I would like answering is ,Why John did you think it was a good idea to re-appoint Russel Slade.

That`s easy enough because he was an experienced Manager who knew the league and the club. The fact he was sh1t,boring and unpopular is largely irrelevent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 127
1mickylyons
February 7, 2019, 6:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mirrorballman

That's a disappointing attitude. The type of negative mindset that will keep the town and the club stuck in the dark ages.

The town Freeman and the council have been really proactive here. They have gone well beyond their remit and prepared stadium designs and placed them at the heart of the community. All for the benefit of GY and GTFC. That's the same council that rightly or wrongly, has been criticised for hindering the club down the years. You've greeted it with the same tired old Fentyisms, 'dead duck', 'magical money pot', ' where's the enabling development?'. Well for starters, the council look to have secured the backing of Ibis Hotels for the development. That's more than it would appear Peaks Parkway got.

The funding doesn't have to come from houses. In fact, if the failure of PP is anything to go by, they should be down the list as potential sources of income. I bet there are thousands of fans that would be willing to commit to a share or debenture scheme to help fund the project. Grants will be available for the stadium. The renewable energy boom is going to take hold, can we partner with firms to benefit from that perhaps.

Old thinking has got us nowhere. We need to approach this opportunity differently. The council have given us a great vision here. As Nigel Lowther last year, let's focus on the goal and not the obstacles. Otherwise we will rot in BP with the rest of the town.

The people of the Town want this and think it right so do the Council.JF seems from his comments yesterday to be slightly warming to the idea but I fully understand he is the one who will cop all the flak should this turn into a bad move for the Club so he must get it right. He must be made to understand the feeling for this from the Community and the Q and A with him he needs the point hammering home. He wants a legacy well here it is and he needs to grab it with both hands whilst he can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 127
1mickylyons
February 7, 2019, 7:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1542
None of this bodes well for the J Fenty Q & A!!
He will get hammered, go into meltdown, insult someone and storm out.
This was always a bad idea!!
Please don’t wear your Starsky and Hutch Rig John, it will only make things worse!!

This should NOT be the case 100% .Firstly he should be prepared that most questions from the floor are going to revolve around this issue and based on past experiences the fans are in the main respectful and allow him to answer. I have noticed the last 3-4 years JF tends to answer like a politician and I hope he dispenses with that (if he can without breaching confidentiality) and IF he truly opposes Freemo be clear and concise as to why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 127
Mrs Doyle
February 7, 2019, 7:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The people of the Town want this and think it right so do the Council.JF seems from his comments yesterday to be slightly warming to the idea but I fully understand he is the one who will cop all the flak should this turn into a bad move for the Club so he must get it right. He must be made to understand the feeling for this from the Community and the Q and A with him he needs the point hammering home. He wants a legacy well here it is and he needs to grab it with both hands whilst he can.

Well said Micky I am so fed up of everybody taking the urine out of our town and football club.

I was born and brought up in Grimsby most of my father's life and his family generation all farmed the north sea and risked their lives in the frozen waters off Iceland.  

For that reason, I am very proud to be a Grimbarian.

This opportunity for the town and GTFC will not come along again we must grab it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 127
1mickylyons
February 7, 2019, 8:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
[/b]

Well said Micky I am so fed up of everybody taking the urine out of our town and football club.

I was born and brought up in Grimsby most of my father's life and his family generation all farmed the north sea and risked their lives in the frozen waters off Iceland.  

For that reason, I am very proud to be a Grimbarian.

This opportunity for the town and GTFC will not come along again we must grab it.

Likewise here and the Fenty family are probably also in the same category I can only hope John feels this tugging on his heartstrings the same way we all do? I honestly thought his comments yesterday were a very well thought out and balanced view of the current situation and he seemed to have come around to thinking Freemo was NOW an option. We don`t know what`s gone on in the background but I am led to believe this was pretty much offered 2-3 year`s ago to the Club in blank state and refused because it was vague and had nothing behind it. The goalposts have since moved right across the board and all the people who really matter outside of the football club to get a ground built are actually backing this John and the Board will probably never get that fupport anywhere else? However the Board are custodians of the football club should this be a bum move ala Darlo what then? Freemo is the right place it`s the Ancestral home of the Town and gateway to GYand Clps come on John make them deliver on their promises and build us a ground fit to host the next 100 years of football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freemo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.