Brazilnut
February 6, 2019, 10:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from wigworld
Isn't this what Hull City do? Why would it only end in demise?

They rent new stadium .....if we signed over BP and the new stadium didn't materialise  ........then demise .......that's what I tried to say ......obviously badly ......sorry

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 127
friskneymariner
February 6, 2019, 10:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The question I would like answering is ,Why John did you think it was a good idea to re-appoint Russel Slade.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 127
RichMariner
February 6, 2019, 10:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

the Club made more money in the conference than it ever would have staying in L2, Dont get me wrong it was the worst 6 years football wise the club and fans have ever seen but financially it was not the worst time in the clubs history.

Really?

I'll agree that by dropping into non-league it forced us to reconsider how we spent money and adjust our purse strings accordingly, but maybe if we'd shown good financial practice in the first place we might not have ended up there.

But honestly, I can't believe we were better off financially in non-league.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 52 - 127
KingstonMariner
February 6, 2019, 10:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

Really?

I'll agree that by dropping into non-league it forced us to reconsider how we spent money and adjust our purse strings accordingly, but maybe if we'd shown good financial practice in the first place we might not have ended up there.

But honestly, I can't believe we were better off financially in non-league.

Being 'better off financially' was probably just that - we eventually cut our cloth according to our means. That was mainly the impact the Trust going the board had. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his chairmanship. We'd managed to both overspend and underperform to get us there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 127
KingstonMariner
February 6, 2019, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker

not sure tbh but i suspect topping up player budgets whilst paying off the tax dept, Costs for studies in to Great Coats move that fell apart and paying off managers and players over the years, maybe a good question to ask at the trust meeting

Great Coates: people were pointing out that was a dead duck years before. Out of town retail had gone as a prospect back in the 90s. The decision to carry on pouring money in to studies was his mistake.

Paying off managers and players. Wonder why we had to do that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 127
Rob_in_Grimsby
February 6, 2019, 11:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Great Coates: people were pointing out that was a dead duck years before. Out of town retail had gone as a prospect back in the 90s. The decision to carry on pouring money in to studies was his mistake.

Paying off managers and players. Wonder why we had to do that.

The biggest and most costly managerial appointment in this clubs history  fell solely  on one persons shoulders and it was not JF then when it all went wrong and said manger was fired he ran to the hills and left others to pick up the pieces
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 127
mirrorballman
February 6, 2019, 11:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8

I totally agree the council and the Freeman can propose all of this but no one including the Freeman and NELC  have not mentioned how or who will pay for it. There is no grants or magical pots of money to build the stadium and with no prospect of a enabling development this is a dead duck. I know for a fact JF would be happy for it to be built anywhere if the funding could be found

That's a disappointing attitude. The type of negative mindset that will keep the town and the club stuck in the dark ages.

The town Freeman and the council have been really proactive here. They have gone well beyond their remit and prepared stadium designs and placed them at the heart of the community. All for the benefit of GY and GTFC. That's the same council that rightly or wrongly, has been criticised for hindering the club down the years. You've greeted it with the same tired old Fentyisms, 'dead duck', 'magical money pot', ' where's the enabling development?'. Well for starters, the council look to have secured the backing of Ibis Hotels for the development. That's more than it would appear Peaks Parkway got.

The funding doesn't have to come from houses. In fact, if the failure of PP is anything to go by, they should be down the list as potential sources of income. I bet there are thousands of fans that would be willing to commit to a share or debenture scheme to help fund the project. Grants will be available for the stadium. The renewable energy boom is going to take hold, can we partner with firms to benefit from that perhaps.

Old thinking has got us nowhere. We need to approach this opportunity differently. The council have given us a great vision here. As Nigel Lowther last year, let's focus on the goal and not the obstacles. Otherwise we will rot in BP with the rest of the town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 127
mariner91
February 6, 2019, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261

The biggest and most costly managerial appointment in this clubs history  fell solely  on one persons shoulders and it was not JF then when it all went wrong and said manger was fired he ran to the hills and left others to pick up the pieces

If you're referring to Mike Parker, he "ran for the hills" after he was publicly shafted by Fenty and who could blame him?! Why would you want to work with someone who doesn't do what they've agreed they'll do and uses dirty tricks cause they're not getting things their own way?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 127
KingstonMariner
February 6, 2019, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker

If you're talking about Mike Parker, we know why he 'ran to the hills'. It was because he was prepared to put his money in shares and your brother wasn't, and that Parker got caught by the rule which meant he had to buy everyone else out because he owned more than 50% of the shares.

And are you really saying it was solely Parker's decision to appoint Neil Woods? None of the other directors had a say in it? Really??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 127
KingstonMariner
February 6, 2019, 11:32pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

If you're referring to Mike Parker, he "ran for the hills" after he was publicly shafted by Fenty and who could blame him?! Why would you want to work with someone who doesn't do what they've agreed they'll do and uses dirty tricks cause they're not getting things their own way?

Sorry you beat me to it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freemo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.