This thread currently has 19,085 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2019, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
If Fenty has changed tack (and I have yet to see/read this) it will be that he has had some positive news regarding funding which we are not privy to.

He is after all also a councillor albeit a conservative.

Martin Vickers too is also an M.P. who has only recently become a "Freeman" of Grimsby and is keen on the Stadium idea so between them they must know more than we do about funding.

Maybe, just maybe thing are moving in the right direction.

Could be a lasting legacy John one to be proud of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 127
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2019, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I’m so relieved that captain of industry Martin Vickers is involved ..anyone tell me what successful business he’s been involved in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 127
ginnywings
February 9, 2019, 10:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I’m so relieved that captain of industry Martin Vickers is involved ..anyone tell me what successful business he’s been involved in?

Duping the nation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 127
ginnywings
February 9, 2019, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Goes back to the share vote thing again, Trust members voted away the opportunity to hold the major shareholder to account and, for whatever reasons Mr F held sway. Ever since, the Trust board have been pretty powerless.

But this is the crux of the matter isn't it? The Trust board put the vote to the Trust members and they democratically voted to give the shares back. I think we should have stayed off the board and kept the shares personally, but it's too late now. The fact that the Trust board is now powerless is a decision that was brought about by the members, so to keep having a go at people who are doing their best for the love of the club is futile.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 127
arryarryarry
February 9, 2019, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

But this is the crux of the matter isn't it? The Trust board put the vote to the Trust members and they democratically voted to give the shares back. I think we should have stayed off the board and kept the shares personally, but it's too late now. The fact that the Trust board is now powerless is a decision that was brought about by the members, so to keep having a go at people who are doing their best for the love of the club is futile.

I can't remember but didn't the Trust board advise the members to vote to give JF the shares?
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 127
ginnywings
February 9, 2019, 12:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

I can't remember but didn't the Trust board advise the members to vote to give JF the shares?

I can't remember either, though there were some doomsday scenarios put forward by the club over financing and having to sell our best player/s (Bogle?) if the vote went against JF and the board, if i remember rightly.

The members didn't have to take heed though, and i think we should have called their bluff. It could have been the catalyst for change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 127
barralad
February 9, 2019, 12:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings

It's water under the bridge now but everything about that whole business was unsatisfactory. The Trust was in serious decline membership-wise. The timing of the shares donation was awful in respect of our ability to deal with it. We had no real prior warning. The then Trust board was split about the course we should take so in reality the only option was a vote by the members who had in many cases stuck by the Trust from the very beginning. I believed then it was the right thing to do and still do. Those who still bemoan the result probably weren't bothered enough to join at the time (or before). Some are probably still not. Was I happy with the result? No- but it represented democracy at work. The margin was one that Theresa May could only dream about.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 127
barralad
February 9, 2019, 12:50pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from arryarryarry

It was over 7 years ago but I genuinely cannot remember discussing endorsement of either side. As I've said the Trust Board at that time were very split on the best way forward.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 127
Davec
February 9, 2019, 12:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from barralad

It's water under the bridge now but everything about that whole business was unsatisfactory. The Trust was in serious decline membership-wise. The timing of the shares donation was awful in respect of our ability to deal with it. We had no real prior warning. The then Trust board was split about the course we should take so in reality the only option was a vote by the members who had in many cases stuck by the Trust from the very beginning. I believed then it was the right thing to do and still do. Those who still bemoan the result probably weren't bothered enough to join at the time (or before). Some are probably still not. Was I happy with the result? No- but it represented democracy at work. The margin was one that Theresa May could only dream about.

Couldn't the trust do something about trying to buy those shares or atleast a portion of those shares back? atleast ask JF how much he would want and then set about wit a plan on how to raise that money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 127
barralad
February 9, 2019, 12:55pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ginnywings

I can't remember either, though there were some doomsday scenarios put forward by the club over financing and having to sell our best player/s (Bogle?) if the vote went against JF and the board, if i remember rightly.

The members didn't have to take heed though, and i think we should have called their bluff. It could have been the catalyst for change.

It was Liam Hearn at that time. The stance J.F. took was that he couldn't envisage a situation where someone who if things went t1ts would be covering any cash flow problems could be outvoted.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 127
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freemo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.