Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 196 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 13,950 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
October 7, 2018, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
What an awful way to cover your local team. Get a few random fans to basically Tweet in their thoughts. One says we were awful, Vale 'dominated' the 1st but that we had the better 2nd half, another says Vale were awful but they had the better 2nd half....honestly, why not just pass a mic around the crowd and ask any old idiot what they think.
Better still, just set up a telly with iFollow coverage in a beer tent at the Derby Folk Festival.

This sums up their 'reporting' really: "They didn't attack that much but when they did they looked dangerous every time."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2018, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras

This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.

Although the point you make is valid, I think you think this is a 'Grimsby thing'. It isn't. In all honesty, I thought he started slowly yesterday and took a good 20 minutes to get into the game and, probably should have scored earlier.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
psgmariner
October 7, 2018, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I don’t mind admitting I fought Hooper was absolutely hopeless yesterday. He improved after his goal but really don’t see him as being good enough. In his defence he is playing out of position.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
rancido
October 7, 2018, 9:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from psgmariner
I don’t mind admitting I fought Hooper was absolutely hopeless yesterday. He improved after his goal but really don’t see him as being good enough. In his defence he is playing out of position.

That's not very good if you are fighting with our players because you don't rate them! I must admit though that I thought JJ wasn't as good as some fans think. His reactions always seem slow to me but he did anticipate and take his goal well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
Croxton
October 7, 2018, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Penfras quote
'This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.'

Interesting that you Penfras, Herts and Golfer tend to personalise your responses for some reason. Address your comments to the 'fans' who shout the abuse. All I heard in the mid section of the Upper was valid, tame and muted comment re JJ's game. What Herts heard was quite different. As with Golfer, try to limit your response to what I said not widen it to ' backing the team '.
The logical conclusion of your reference to MJ's qualifications would mean that it would be pointless reading any of Herts, Tommy, Ginny or Chaos's views or reports because they don't the same level?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 7, 2018, 11:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton
Penfras quote
'This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.'

Interesting that you Penfras, Herts and Golfer tend to personalise your responses for some reason. Address your comments to the 'fans' who shout the abuse. All I heard in the mid section of the Upper was valid, tame and muted comment re JJ's game. What Herts heard was quite different. As with Golfer, try to limit your response to what I said not widen it to ' backing the team '.
The logical conclusion of your reference to MJ's qualifications would mean that it would be pointless reading any of Herts, Tommy, Ginny or Chaos's views or reports because they don'tthe same level?

I don’t know what you heard but from my seat hearing fans shouting for players to be taken off after 15 mins can’t be termed as “valid” surely? BTW the term “boo boys” is used commonly to describe supporters who get on players backs it doesn’t necessarily mean they where actually booing Hooper.

I do get that criticism “in the moment” is hard to resist but there is an element at BP who don’t understand that our players are 4th Division players so they are not always going to set the world alight.

Like I said Hooper put a shift in, wasted some good opportunities to move us forward, lost the ball a few times, hit the post but was in the right place at the right time then and for his goal. His passing and first touch can be great and can be terrible....... you could arguably replace the name Hooper with numerous league 2 players with less than 100 EFL games under their belt.

I know one thing and that he does overall look better when he starts a game than he did 12 months ago.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
marinette
October 7, 2018, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good to see you back here posting again Marinette.... been a long time. I had to look twice at the user name to make sure I'd read it right  

Inspired by a good performance.  (A bit like Town, I'd got out of the habit).

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Croxton
October 7, 2018, 1:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Herts.  
We are on the same side here if you read my posts in the context of Upper Findus rows approx A - J numbers 60 - 70. You obviously mix with a rougher crowd  1 - 50 ish? I avoided those areas when choosing my season ticket for Specsavers reasons and to avoid the perpetrators of my assault 12 months ago.
The group around me are very mild indeed although there is an 80 odd year old who did shout PASS IT! PASS IT!. If he does it again I'll call him out.  (winking emoji)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
devs
October 7, 2018, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Hooper is an enigma
Makes the easy things look hard and vice versa
I sat in Main Stand yesterday (normally Ponny) and you see things from a different perspective.
He does a lot of hard work down the left - wins headers - finds space - his contribution is no better/no worse than many L2 players
I thought he did well at MK Dons earlier in season - works hard

It's about opinions - I'm not a huge fan of Mitch Rose but I'd hate myself if I spent half the game berating him, cos he's obviously giving 100%

Try and keep this run going - keep the main bulk of the same team (Embleton will be a big loss next week IMO) and perhaps Hooper's confidence will grow etc etc

However, I suspect we will all have to learn to live with his inconsistencies and hope the bright bits can help us win games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.