Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 141 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 13,891 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TheGoalKipper
October 6, 2018, 9:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So look what happens when you don't fiddle with the team, pick form players in their positions, have at least one natural FB on the pitch and most importantly pass the ball properly to a player that has moved into space - you look like a decent side and IMHO 100% better than last week, well done to MJ and the players!

Couldn't have had a better start with Thomas (who I really like) latching on to that back pass and using all his experience to slot it away, he needed a goal I reckon. Through the rest of the half we tried to create some stuff and ou movement up front looked much better and we do look more organised at the back. Credit to PV they pulled us a round a bit in the final 3rd and actually squandered a couple of chances that would have saw them equalize or even go in ahead at the break.    

In the 2nd half we played some of the best football I've seen at BP for absolutely ages, the combination of Verman, Thomas, Embleton and Hooper meant we looked dangerous and a lot of this was due to the hard work of Clifton who in what I reckon is his natural position glued things together really well. Also worth noting the work rate did not stop at all and the desire to play the ball made for some great entertainment. The 2nd goal was a decent move with great work from Verman and a piece of intelligence from Hooper who provided the Johnny on the spot finish. No finger pointed at JJ at all but it's a shame he hit the post earlier with what was possibly the best piece of football of the season never mind the match.

The players?

Macca - Cool, calm and in the right places when needed, goal kicks where interesting
RHJ - Really good game, with more miles on the clock he'll make a real difference, he's been missed
Hendrie - As he gets fitter he gets better, great competitor this lad
Whitmore - Really pleased for him kept his cool with their number 9 and delivered a brave performance
Collins - A 2nd good game in a row, showed the leadership that many of us last week through was missing
Rose - Lost the ball a bit but did some really ugly stuff all game, and looks to get it down all the time.
Clifton - In his best position was the glue that we'd been missing, brilliant work rate & vision. Based on today he should be keeping more senior players out of the CM role.
Embelton - Not sure why hos goal was ruled out but alongside the other offensive players he provided real balance.  
Hooper - Clearly an enigma but did some really good things and worked hard for the team, the boo boys need to get off his back
Verman - This lad can move and his work for the 2nd was great, keep him in he'll get even better.
Thomas - Clever! and knows where to run, if we can keep a settled attack he'll get more goals for sure    

So the "new &  improved" defense held out and the lads managed the game to a conclusion for a well deserved win and just as importantly another clean sheet.

UTM!

PS 2 things......

The "supporters" calling for Hooper to be taken off after 15 mins (there where a good few in the Upper) need to look at themselves as that doesn't help.

The Ref - FFS!!!    

Ive always said Thomas was the player we needed up front. He's a class and clever player and will score goals once he's fit and the players get used to his play and get the ball to him at the right time, The others must start chipping in though. The more they play togertyherr the better. I just hope we can keep winning a big enoiugh percentage to keep us away from relegatilon until it all gels.
These are not all bad players, Injuries and lack of fitness has certainly affected them. This season we must stay up. We have some good young playters here who will become very good if we can just keep it all together

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
Croxton
October 6, 2018, 9:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Good summary Herts, but as one of those in the upper who felt that Hooper was a weak link in the first half I would say that there were more than ' a good few' in agreement. In case some not at the game should get the wrong expression there was no booing of Hooper at all.
The lad looks lost at times and seems not to have a strikers instinct. He put a shift in second half and did well to get on the end of a cross for his goal. I hope none of the fans around me feel that they have to have a look at themselves for having a view on how a player is performing or we may as well watch on IFollow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
RichMariner
October 6, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I’ve not been able to get to any matches this season so I’ve been feeding off comments on here to build a picture of what’s going well and what isn’t.

On thing I’m very pleased about is Clifton finally being played in his natural position. Embleton looks a real find and Vernam has impressed when he’s played. All three are very young. Makes you realise that for all the experience that the likes of Welsh and Woolford can offer, a bit of youthful exuberance can be just as effective.

Time will tell whether youth can deliver consistently. Not writing off Welsh or Woolford by any means, but two wins and two improved performances with younger players can’t just be down to coincidence.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
marinette
October 6, 2018, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I thought we started out with a different kind of determination today and held onto it throughout the game, which was great to see.  The two goals gave our players the confidence to start playing with a bit more creativity than usual - overall, it felt completely different to the ragged, disorganised and toothless performances we've been used to seeing in recent weeks.

I'm not over-confident and the players have got a lot of work to do if we want to stay out of danger, but they've given me hope that it's possible now.  Embleton's goal v Morecambe last week made me sit up, but I did wonder afterwards if it was just a one-off.  Today he was my MOM - working so hard, covering so much of the pitch and yet showing those occasional little touches that in my opinion, suggest he might become 'a prospect'.  There were also things about Thomas's game that gave me hope, and the other players were generally working much better as a team.  Really pleased that McKeown kept a clean sheet as he was there when we needed him to be.

Enjoyed it.  More games and results like that please.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2018, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from wigworld
How was Akheem Rose when he came on?

Was not on long enough to show us his pace his time will come.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 10:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from marinette
I thought we started out with a different kind of determination today and held onto it throughout the game, which was great to see.  The two goals gave our players the confidence to start playing with a bit more creativity than usual - overall, it felt completely different to the ragged, disorganised and toothless performances we've been used to seeing in recent weeks.

I'm not over-confident and the players have got a lot of work to do if we want to stay out of danger, but they've given me hope that it's possible now.  Embleton's goal v Morecambe last week made me sit up, but I did wonder afterwards if it was just a one-off.  Today he was my MOM - working so hard, covering so much of the pitch and yet showing those occasional little touches that in my opinion, suggest he might become 'a prospect'.  There were also things about Thomas's game that gave me hope, and the other players were generally working much better as a team.  Really pleased that McKeown kept a clean sheet as he was there when we needed him to be.

Embelton's involvement in the move where JJ hit the post just shows he's got some real potential, well backed up by Harry too.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
golfer
October 6, 2018, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from Croxton
Good summary Herts, but as one of those in the upper who felt that Hooper was a weak link in the first half I would say that there were more than ' a good few' in agreement. In case some not at the game should get the wrong expression there was no booing of Hooper at all.
The lad looks lost at times and seems not to have a strikers instinct. He put a shift in second half and did well to get on the end of a cross for his goal. I hope none of the fans around me feel that they have to have a look at themselves for having a view on how a player is performing or we may as well watch on IFollow.

There was a lot of shouting for Hooper to be substituted in the first 10 minutes and jeering whenever he touched the ball. These people aren't supporters and weren't "having a view" as you put it and it is possible that it would be better if they did watch on ifollow. Do you think it makes "a young lad" play better to hear this sort of abuse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
oochiad
October 6, 2018, 10:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Yes there were a fair few older generation men who should no better constantly berating Jj in the main stand. It’s out of order and no help what so ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
FishOutOfWater
October 6, 2018, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from marinette

Good to see you back here posting again Marinette.... been a long time. I had to look twice at the user name to make sure I'd read it right  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 58
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
You could see a different attitude in the warm-up today. More intensity & focus and lead by Limbrick & Forrest as opposed to young Greg who was working with the subs. Maybe reading too much into it but it just looked right.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.