Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 320 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 13,890 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Good win against a poor Vale.

Lots more energy, can't think of anyone who was worth less than a 7/10, honourable mentions for Whitmore, RHJ, Clifton & Embleton and MoM for the excellent Charles Vernam.
Private Message
Marinerz93
October 6, 2018, 5:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
2-0 and could have been 3 or 4-0, and we deserved it, much much better.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
promotion plaice
October 6, 2018, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Great performance all round and well done Town, this won't do our confidence any harm and I really hope we can kick on from here.

Taking nothing away from Town but Port Vale looked poor or did we just make them look poor !  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
ginnywings
October 6, 2018, 5:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Much better today. We weren't brilliant and still give the ball away too much, but the big difference is in the two boxes. Solid at the back and created plenty of chances at the other end. In contrast, Vale were the opposite, good box to box, but toothless up front and all at sea defensively. 2-0 didn't flatter us and it could easily have been more. Vale hardly troubled Macca and our defence dealt well with them. Whitmore was very good and Collins not far behind. Pope ans Miller are a handful and we stood up to them well. Full backs look more comfortable now too, with RHJ a big improvement over the right backs thus far.

In midfield, we look a lot better balanced and i though Clifton was superb, my MOM. Hoopr blew hot and cold, but Vernam was also very good. They both look to be really good prospects. Thomas' hold up play and lay offs are another level up from what we have had for a while, and he took his gift goal excellently.

We got more confident as the game went on, especially after the second goal, and Vale had no answers. 6 points from 2 games after 5 from the previous 10 suggests progress and the team finding it's feet as players come back and adapt to each other.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
sonofmadeleymariner
October 6, 2018, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Got to agree with most of this, some of the wayward passing is a worry and a better sude may of punished us at times.

Macca's kicking was awful today even worse then nornal, but I think the wind may of played a hand in that slightly.

Whitmoore would be my man of the match after how he dealt with Pope and Miller though, but it could easily of gone to any of the starting 11.

2 happy mariners travelling back to Stoke, one slightly quiet Vale fan.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
Hagrid
October 6, 2018, 5:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
MOM was Hall Johnson. Good performance, vale awful. Ref worse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Yep - forgot to mention ref - seem to remember him reffing us in the Conference.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
October 6, 2018, 5:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

My thoughts exactly, thought Rose had a good game.
Reply: 7 - 58
Grimal
October 6, 2018, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
All the lads put in a real shift, good back to back win and two clean sheets , Hall Johnson MOM for me but one or two contenders.  JJ Hooper gets lots of stick and sometimes deservedly but I thought he had his best game in a Town shirt today.Cliftons energy is unbelievable,he never stopped closing down and didn't give their players a second on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
mariner tommy
October 6, 2018, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Nobody had a bad game, what a great all round team performance today, it was a pleasure to watch it.
The entire game was only spoilt by the diabolical referee and the dug out side linesman.
I’m sure the referee did everything possible to help Vale, the worst I’ve seen since we’ve been back in the football league

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
oldun
October 6, 2018, 6:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We should no get carried away, but 6 points in a week has lifted the gloom. There were times when we played some lovely one touch football in the second half. Even Buckley commented how good it was. The second goal was a dream. Passing and movement and the much criticised JJ racing in the get on the end of a pull back from the bye line. Proper football. We were much more mobile in the final 3rd and the energy of Vernam, Thomas, Embleton and JJ stood out Clifton had his best game so far and the defence kept Vale attackers quiet. Although we still look one mistake away from gifting a goal. Congrats all round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
oldun
October 6, 2018, 6:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We should no get carried away, but 6 points in a week has lifted the gloom. There were times when we played some lovely one touch football in the second half. Even Buckley commented how good it was. The second goal was a dream. Passing and movement and the much criticised JJ racing in the get on the end of a pull back from the bye line. Proper football. We were much more mobile in the final 3rd and the energy of Vernam, Thomas, Embleton and JJ stood out Clifton had his best game so far and the defence kept Vale attackers quiet. Although we still look one mistake away from gifting a goal. Congrats all round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
Pontooner
October 6, 2018, 6:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
Poor quality game first half. But Town were much the better side after the break, playing some nice one touch football a times.

Vale were poor and we still gave the ball away too much, but overall, a much improved performance and hopefully something to build on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
psgmariner
October 6, 2018, 6:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
The ref was hilariously bad but an enjoyable game.

I was very impressed with Rose and Wes Thomas. I’m no fan of our centre backs but they did a good collective effort on the it tricky bugga up front (Pope I think).

Things finally looking on the up. We now have two decent full back and a proper striker which gives us balance and a threat.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
Garth
October 6, 2018, 6:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Thought at times in the second half we were Buckleyesk, surprising what a couple of wins can do.
Ref was the worst I have ever seen, obviously colour blind not wearing a Vale shirt from the start but their twelve man for 90 odd minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
golfer
October 6, 2018, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Well done to everyone,Macca's quietest game for a long time.Everybody fought for the ball,also running off the ball was superb.Confidence has improved since their win on Tuesday. Must keep the same team next week. Onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
Garth
October 6, 2018, 6:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Was anyone as surprised as me at the size of the mighty Vale's traveling support today what a poor showing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2018, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well, that was a lot, lot better what a difference a bit of confidence does. First half we looked nervous and edgy but the second half was superb stuff.

The second goal was a lovely worked move and they continued to undo the vale defence with some lovely stuff.

You never normally moan about the officials when you win but they were the worst I have seen here for a long time.

Pope was constantly literally wrestling with Collins and Whitmore every time. At the other end Thomas was getting pushed mauled and fouled on a regular basis but the useless Ref just kept ignoring it and booked and penalised us instead.

He was soo excrement it was embarrassing. The third official too kept having a word with M.J. and his assistant it was pathetic I only hope Jolley marks him down accordingly.

We got what we thoroughly deserved through a cracking good win, a clean sheet that could easily have been four.

Well done lads being a Mariner feels good again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
LondonMariner43
October 6, 2018, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
From afar it seems like injuries, red cards, late new signings settling in and getting fit and knowing their team mates has meant performances have been disjointed.

These last two games are the first where we have had two fit full backs playing in position.

Get on a run with a consistent line up and have more luck with injuries and good times may come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
devs
October 6, 2018, 7:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
MOM for me by country mile was Embleton
19 years of age
Two-footed
Great brain
Energy
Pace
All round player

One of most impressive midfield performances I've seen from gtfc player in a long while - especially given he's a teenager

If Clifton play he must always play centre midfield - so much more at home there

Hopper - much maligned but nowhere near as bad as some make out; his confidence flowed after he scored

Rose - not my cup of tea but did very well

Thomas and Vernam were excellent second half

We need to stay calm - just as the recent poor form was not a disaster two wins on the trot doesn't mean we are a play off side

Keep calm,keep improving and positive results will outnumber negative ones

Two tough games coming up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
wigworld
October 6, 2018, 7:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
How was Akheem Rose when he came on?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 58
Roast Em Bobby
October 6, 2018, 7:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I agree - Embleton really is a class act and not as lightweight as I initially thought he might be, also Clifton in the middle has had two great games in a row. We need the two of them playing regularly together as they are good mixture of graft, drive and technical ability.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
mariner paul
October 6, 2018, 7:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Great result, good all round performance by the team, my man of the match this week goes to Harry Clifton never stopped running all the way through the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
LondonMariner43
October 6, 2018, 8:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Shame Embleton won’t play next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
Maringer
October 6, 2018, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I thought Embleton was so-so during the first half but he upped his game in the second and worked really hard to help out RHJ when he was obviously struggling late in the game because of lack of match fitness. I'd probably give Embleton the nod as my MOTM - just. A decent all-round performance and Thomas had his best game for us as well.

I think it's all the sweeter when you consider just how poor the officials were and the pressure which came from the endless fouls awarded against us. It would be nice to get a real 'homer' of a referee for a change!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
Madeleymariner
October 6, 2018, 8:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Enjoyed that, everyone seemed to have a decent game and we looked like a team not a bunch of individuals,, Vale supporting mate who came with us rated RHJ as the best player.Terrible ref though, lucky he never had a chance to point at the penalty spot. My only worry is with no Embleton next week he will bring Woolford back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
Les Brechin
October 6, 2018, 8:57pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Amazing that we actually managed to win with that clown of a referee.

One of the worst I've seen at BP for a long time.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
mimma
October 6, 2018, 8:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
One thing about the ref, they made sure the foul was given by their theatrical dives and shouts when there was contact. That is why they get so many "soft" free kicks. We see it time and time again. It's something we don't do so when we have a soft ref it looks like he is favouring the opposition. We are too honest for our own good.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
headingly_mariner
October 6, 2018, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Really decent performance second half after a mixed first half.

We had good balance across the midfield, Rose was combative and Clifton’s energy complimented him well. He’s had two fine games in the middle of the park in a row.

Thought Vernam, Embleton and Thomas caused them all sorts of problems. How Vernam hasn’t been starting is beyond me.

Hooper didn’t look like he’d ever played football before in the first half and then was unlucky not to score twice in a second half were he was really quite good. Certainly suits him better playing wide and hopefully the goal will boost his confidence in front of goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
So look what happens when you don't fiddle with the team, pick form players in their positions, have at least one natural FB on the pitch and most importantly pass the ball properly to a player that has moved into space - you look like a decent side and IMHO 100% better than last week, well done to MJ and the players!

Couldn't have had a better start with Thomas (who I really like) latching on to that back pass and using all his experience to slot it away, he needed a goal I reckon. Through the rest of the half we tried to create some stuff and ou movement up front looked much better and we do look more organised at the back. Credit to PV they pulled us a round a bit in the final 3rd and actually squandered a couple of chances that would have saw them equalize or even go in ahead at the break.    

In the 2nd half we played some of the best football I've seen at BP for absolutely ages, the combination of Verman, Thomas, Embleton and Hooper meant we looked dangerous and a lot of this was due to the hard work of Clifton who in what I reckon is his natural position glued things together really well. Also worth noting the work rate did not stop at all and the desire to play the ball made for some great entertainment. The 2nd goal was a decent move with great work from Verman and a piece of intelligence from Hooper who provided the Johnny on the spot finish. No finger pointed at JJ at all but it's a shame he hit the post earlier with what was possibly the best piece of football of the season never mind the match.

The players?

Macca - Cool, calm and in the right places when needed, goal kicks where interesting
RHJ - Really good game, with more miles on the clock he'll make a real difference, he's been missed
Hendrie - As he gets fitter he gets better, great competitor this lad
Whitmore - Really pleased for him kept his cool with their number 9 and delivered a brave performance
Collins - A 2nd good game in a row, showed the leadership that many of us last week through was missing
Rose - Lost the ball a bit but did some really ugly stuff all game, and looks to get it down all the time.
Clifton - In his best position was the glue that we'd been missing, brilliant work rate & vision. Based on today he should be keeping more senior players out of the CM role.
Embelton - Not sure why his goal was ruled out but alongside the other offensive players he provided real balance.  
Hooper - Clearly an enigma but did some really good things and worked hard for the team, the boo boys need to get off his back
Verman - This lad can move and his work for the 2nd was great, keep him in he'll get even better.
Thomas - Clever! and knows where to run, if we can keep a settled attack he'll get more goals for sure    

So the "new &  improved" defense held out and the lads managed the game to a conclusion for a well deserved win and just as importantly another clean sheet.

UTM!

PS 2 things......

The "supporters" calling for Hooper to be taken off after 15 mins (there where a good few in the Upper) need to look at themselves as that doesn't help.

The Ref - FFS!!!    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
TheGoalKipper
October 6, 2018, 9:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So look what happens when you don't fiddle with the team, pick form players in their positions, have at least one natural FB on the pitch and most importantly pass the ball properly to a player that has moved into space - you look like a decent side and IMHO 100% better than last week, well done to MJ and the players!

Couldn't have had a better start with Thomas (who I really like) latching on to that back pass and using all his experience to slot it away, he needed a goal I reckon. Through the rest of the half we tried to create some stuff and ou movement up front looked much better and we do look more organised at the back. Credit to PV they pulled us a round a bit in the final 3rd and actually squandered a couple of chances that would have saw them equalize or even go in ahead at the break.    

In the 2nd half we played some of the best football I've seen at BP for absolutely ages, the combination of Verman, Thomas, Embleton and Hooper meant we looked dangerous and a lot of this was due to the hard work of Clifton who in what I reckon is his natural position glued things together really well. Also worth noting the work rate did not stop at all and the desire to play the ball made for some great entertainment. The 2nd goal was a decent move with great work from Verman and a piece of intelligence from Hooper who provided the Johnny on the spot finish. No finger pointed at JJ at all but it's a shame he hit the post earlier with what was possibly the best piece of football of the season never mind the match.

The players?

Macca - Cool, calm and in the right places when needed, goal kicks where interesting
RHJ - Really good game, with more miles on the clock he'll make a real difference, he's been missed
Hendrie - As he gets fitter he gets better, great competitor this lad
Whitmore - Really pleased for him kept his cool with their number 9 and delivered a brave performance
Collins - A 2nd good game in a row, showed the leadership that many of us last week through was missing
Rose - Lost the ball a bit but did some really ugly stuff all game, and looks to get it down all the time.
Clifton - In his best position was the glue that we'd been missing, brilliant work rate & vision. Based on today he should be keeping more senior players out of the CM role.
Embelton - Not sure why hos goal was ruled out but alongside the other offensive players he provided real balance.  
Hooper - Clearly an enigma but did some really good things and worked hard for the team, the boo boys need to get off his back
Verman - This lad can move and his work for the 2nd was great, keep him in he'll get even better.
Thomas - Clever! and knows where to run, if we can keep a settled attack he'll get more goals for sure    

So the "new &  improved" defense held out and the lads managed the game to a conclusion for a well deserved win and just as importantly another clean sheet.

UTM!

PS 2 things......

The "supporters" calling for Hooper to be taken off after 15 mins (there where a good few in the Upper) need to look at themselves as that doesn't help.

The Ref - FFS!!!    

Ive always said Thomas was the player we needed up front. He's a class and clever player and will score goals once he's fit and the players get used to his play and get the ball to him at the right time, The others must start chipping in though. The more they play togertyherr the better. I just hope we can keep winning a big enoiugh percentage to keep us away from relegatilon until it all gels.
These are not all bad players, Injuries and lack of fitness has certainly affected them. This season we must stay up. We have some good young playters here who will become very good if we can just keep it all together

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
Croxton
October 6, 2018, 9:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Good summary Herts, but as one of those in the upper who felt that Hooper was a weak link in the first half I would say that there were more than ' a good few' in agreement. In case some not at the game should get the wrong expression there was no booing of Hooper at all.
The lad looks lost at times and seems not to have a strikers instinct. He put a shift in second half and did well to get on the end of a cross for his goal. I hope none of the fans around me feel that they have to have a look at themselves for having a view on how a player is performing or we may as well watch on IFollow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
RichMariner
October 6, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I’ve not been able to get to any matches this season so I’ve been feeding off comments on here to build a picture of what’s going well and what isn’t.

On thing I’m very pleased about is Clifton finally being played in his natural position. Embleton looks a real find and Vernam has impressed when he’s played. All three are very young. Makes you realise that for all the experience that the likes of Welsh and Woolford can offer, a bit of youthful exuberance can be just as effective.

Time will tell whether youth can deliver consistently. Not writing off Welsh or Woolford by any means, but two wins and two improved performances with younger players can’t just be down to coincidence.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
marinette
October 6, 2018, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I thought we started out with a different kind of determination today and held onto it throughout the game, which was great to see.  The two goals gave our players the confidence to start playing with a bit more creativity than usual - overall, it felt completely different to the ragged, disorganised and toothless performances we've been used to seeing in recent weeks.

I'm not over-confident and the players have got a lot of work to do if we want to stay out of danger, but they've given me hope that it's possible now.  Embleton's goal v Morecambe last week made me sit up, but I did wonder afterwards if it was just a one-off.  Today he was my MOM - working so hard, covering so much of the pitch and yet showing those occasional little touches that in my opinion, suggest he might become 'a prospect'.  There were also things about Thomas's game that gave me hope, and the other players were generally working much better as a team.  Really pleased that McKeown kept a clean sheet as he was there when we needed him to be.

Enjoyed it.  More games and results like that please.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2018, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from wigworld
How was Akheem Rose when he came on?

Was not on long enough to show us his pace his time will come.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 10:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette
I thought we started out with a different kind of determination today and held onto it throughout the game, which was great to see.  The two goals gave our players the confidence to start playing with a bit more creativity than usual - overall, it felt completely different to the ragged, disorganised and toothless performances we've been used to seeing in recent weeks.

I'm not over-confident and the players have got a lot of work to do if we want to stay out of danger, but they've given me hope that it's possible now.  Embleton's goal v Morecambe last week made me sit up, but I did wonder afterwards if it was just a one-off.  Today he was my MOM - working so hard, covering so much of the pitch and yet showing those occasional little touches that in my opinion, suggest he might become 'a prospect'.  There were also things about Thomas's game that gave me hope, and the other players were generally working much better as a team.  Really pleased that McKeown kept a clean sheet as he was there when we needed him to be.

Embelton's involvement in the move where JJ hit the post just shows he's got some real potential, well backed up by Harry too.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
golfer
October 6, 2018, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from Croxton
Good summary Herts, but as one of those in the upper who felt that Hooper was a weak link in the first half I would say that there were more than ' a good few' in agreement. In case some not at the game should get the wrong expression there was no booing of Hooper at all.
The lad looks lost at times and seems not to have a strikers instinct. He put a shift in second half and did well to get on the end of a cross for his goal. I hope none of the fans around me feel that they have to have a look at themselves for having a view on how a player is performing or we may as well watch on IFollow.

There was a lot of shouting for Hooper to be substituted in the first 10 minutes and jeering whenever he touched the ball. These people aren't supporters and weren't "having a view" as you put it and it is possible that it would be better if they did watch on ifollow. Do you think it makes "a young lad" play better to hear this sort of abuse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
oochiad
October 6, 2018, 10:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Yes there were a fair few older generation men who should no better constantly berating Jj in the main stand. It’s out of order and no help what so ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
FishOutOfWater
October 6, 2018, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from marinette

Good to see you back here posting again Marinette.... been a long time. I had to look twice at the user name to make sure I'd read it right  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 58
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2018, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You could see a different attitude in the warm-up today. More intensity & focus and lead by Limbrick & Forrest as opposed to young Greg who was working with the subs. Maybe reading too much into it but it just looked right.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 11:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Thanks, but what you have posted I find quite odd and IMHO a bit patronizing  ...........  read what I posted especially the "after 15 mins" bit. and at no point did I suggest he was booed. I didn't include someone in the upper sat in earshot of a youngster calling his a useless c%$t. Like another poster says if you really want to be part of a minority go and watch i follow.    

Having an opinion is fine - no opinions no Fishy etc.. but really some of the stick dished out to a 24 year old kid with less than 100 EFL starts (who's playing out of position again) is getting stupid & just underlines what a sh1t place BP can be at times.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
easypeersy
October 6, 2018, 11:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Great performance today.
However just one gripe...
Why does McKeown kick the ball right out of play down the side at least three times every single match. Monkhouse left three seasons ago!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
promotion plaice
October 6, 2018, 11:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from easypeersy
Great performance today.
However just one gripe...
Why does McKeown kick the ball right out of play down the side at least three times every single match. Monkhouse left three seasons ago!

That was the only negative for me on what was a great performance today.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
Mrs Doyle
October 7, 2018, 6:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Must add along with everyone else thought  Embleton was outstanding particularly in the second half.

He has a quick head on him the little one two's and interplay showed that.

He also has bags of energy and helps out in defence but in midfield together with Harry, they were making things happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Cloudy
October 7, 2018, 7:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
This shows football fans are mostly very one eyed!
We were ‘truly awful’ evidently

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-2-port-vale-0-2082711
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
mirrorballman
October 7, 2018, 8:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
I'd ignore that 'truly awful' quote, it's just Dixon trying to angle his way back in to the team

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DXouLZ7_d.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
fishboyUTM
October 7, 2018, 8:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Really good performance against an average Port Vale side. I thought we started off too direct with too many cross field balls. Possibly trying to take advantage of a rare size advantage and turn them around. When we started to mix it up and get the ball down more it was apparent how poor Vale were and we looked dangerous. Vernam is a really good footballer, he was excellent as were RHJ, Collins got his head on everything, even Whackmore did well against the difficult Pope.

Embleton is class and will go on to play in the top two divisions without any doubt. I was pleased for Hooper, he isn't a centre forward IMO, but does well to the left of the three despite being right footed.

Enjoy your weekend chaps!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
Croxton
October 7, 2018, 8:28am
Cocktail Drinker
F.A.O.  Herts and Golfer.

Herts posted something like 'the boo boys need to get off his back'. Nothing patronising about pointing out that criticism of Hooper in my area of the Upper was just that. No abuse, swearing or shouting.
Golfer. reread my post and put the kettle on. Goodness knows why you should think I was in any way condoning any abuse. No player deserves abuse and I did not warrant your comment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
Abdul19
October 7, 2018, 8:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Cloudy
This shows football fans are mostly very one eyed!
We were ‘truly awful’ evidently

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-2-port-vale-0-2082711

I'd be drunk off if I'd missed out on the Derby Folk Festival.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
pen penfras
October 7, 2018, 9:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Croxton
F.A.O.  Herts and Golfer.

Herts posted something like 'the boo boys need to get off his back'. Nothing patronising about pointing out that criticism of Hooper in my area of the Upper was just that. No abuse, swearing or shouting.
Golfer. reread my post and put the kettle on. Goodness knows why you should think I was in any way condoning any abuse. No player deserves abuse and I did not warrant your comment.

This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
RoboCod
October 7, 2018, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
What an awful way to cover your local team. Get a few random fans to basically Tweet in their thoughts. One says we were awful, Vale 'dominated' the 1st but that we had the better 2nd half, another says Vale were awful but they had the better 2nd half....honestly, why not just pass a mic around the crowd and ask any old idiot what they think.
Better still, just set up a telly with iFollow coverage in a beer tent at the Derby Folk Festival.

This sums up their 'reporting' really: "They didn't attack that much but when they did they looked dangerous every time."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2018, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.

Although the point you make is valid, I think you think this is a 'Grimsby thing'. It isn't. In all honesty, I thought he started slowly yesterday and took a good 20 minutes to get into the game and, probably should have scored earlier.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
psgmariner
October 7, 2018, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I don’t mind admitting I fought Hooper was absolutely hopeless yesterday. He improved after his goal but really don’t see him as being good enough. In his defence he is playing out of position.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
rancido
October 7, 2018, 9:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from psgmariner
I don’t mind admitting I fought Hooper was absolutely hopeless yesterday. He improved after his goal but really don’t see him as being good enough. In his defence he is playing out of position.

That's not very good if you are fighting with our players because you don't rate them! I must admit though that I thought JJ wasn't as good as some fans think. His reactions always seem slow to me but he did anticipate and take his goal well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
Croxton
October 7, 2018, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Penfras quote
'This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.'

Interesting that you Penfras, Herts and Golfer tend to personalise your responses for some reason. Address your comments to the 'fans' who shout the abuse. All I heard in the mid section of the Upper was valid, tame and muted comment re JJ's game. What Herts heard was quite different. As with Golfer, try to limit your response to what I said not widen it to ' backing the team '.
The logical conclusion of your reference to MJ's qualifications would mean that it would be pointless reading any of Herts, Tommy, Ginny or Chaos's views or reports because they don't the same level?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 7, 2018, 11:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
Penfras quote
'This was the point I was making in another thread last week. Do we really need to be criticising players in the first 15 minutes of a match? What good do you think it will do?

It's better to back the team during the match and question things afterwards, when you know the whole story ie Hooper scored! Even better than that is to trust that Michael Jolley, a man with every footballing qualification going, knows a little bit more about football than you and that is why the player is on the pitch.'

Interesting that you Penfras, Herts and Golfer tend to personalise your responses for some reason. Address your comments to the 'fans' who shout the abuse. All I heard in the mid section of the Upper was valid, tame and muted comment re JJ's game. What Herts heard was quite different. As with Golfer, try to limit your response to what I said not widen it to ' backing the team '.
The logical conclusion of your reference to MJ's qualifications would mean that it would be pointless reading any of Herts, Tommy, Ginny or Chaos's views or reports because they don'tthe same level?

I don’t know what you heard but from my seat hearing fans shouting for players to be taken off after 15 mins can’t be termed as “valid” surely? BTW the term “boo boys” is used commonly to describe supporters who get on players backs it doesn’t necessarily mean they where actually booing Hooper.

I do get that criticism “in the moment” is hard to resist but there is an element at BP who don’t understand that our players are 4th Division players so they are not always going to set the world alight.

Like I said Hooper put a shift in, wasted some good opportunities to move us forward, lost the ball a few times, hit the post but was in the right place at the right time then and for his goal. His passing and first touch can be great and can be terrible....... you could arguably replace the name Hooper with numerous league 2 players with less than 100 EFL games under their belt.

I know one thing and that he does overall look better when he starts a game than he did 12 months ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
marinette
October 7, 2018, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good to see you back here posting again Marinette.... been a long time. I had to look twice at the user name to make sure I'd read it right  

Inspired by a good performance.  (A bit like Town, I'd got out of the habit).

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Croxton
October 7, 2018, 1:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Herts.  
We are on the same side here if you read my posts in the context of Upper Findus rows approx A - J numbers 60 - 70. You obviously mix with a rougher crowd  1 - 50 ish? I avoided those areas when choosing my season ticket for Specsavers reasons and to avoid the perpetrators of my assault 12 months ago.
The group around me are very mild indeed although there is an 80 odd year old who did shout PASS IT! PASS IT!. If he does it again I'll call him out.  (winking emoji)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
devs
October 7, 2018, 2:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Hooper is an enigma
Makes the easy things look hard and vice versa
I sat in Main Stand yesterday (normally Ponny) and you see things from a different perspective.
He does a lot of hard work down the left - wins headers - finds space - his contribution is no better/no worse than many L2 players
I thought he did well at MK Dons earlier in season - works hard

It's about opinions - I'm not a huge fan of Mitch Rose but I'd hate myself if I spent half the game berating him, cos he's obviously giving 100%

Try and keep this run going - keep the main bulk of the same team (Embleton will be a big loss next week IMO) and perhaps Hooper's confidence will grow etc etc

However, I suspect we will all have to learn to live with his inconsistencies and hope the bright bits can help us win games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.