Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, dapperz fun pub and 211 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 13,949 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
October 6, 2018, 7:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
How was Akheem Rose when he came on?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 58
Roast Em Bobby
October 6, 2018, 7:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
I agree - Embleton really is a class act and not as lightweight as I initially thought he might be, also Clifton in the middle has had two great games in a row. We need the two of them playing regularly together as they are good mixture of graft, drive and technical ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
mariner paul
October 6, 2018, 7:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Great result, good all round performance by the team, my man of the match this week goes to Harry Clifton never stopped running all the way through the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
LondonMariner43
October 6, 2018, 8:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Shame Embleton won’t play next week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
Maringer
October 6, 2018, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Embleton was so-so during the first half but he upped his game in the second and worked really hard to help out RHJ when he was obviously struggling late in the game because of lack of match fitness. I'd probably give Embleton the nod as my MOTM - just. A decent all-round performance and Thomas had his best game for us as well.

I think it's all the sweeter when you consider just how poor the officials were and the pressure which came from the endless fouls awarded against us. It would be nice to get a real 'homer' of a referee for a change!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
Madeleymariner
October 6, 2018, 8:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Enjoyed that, everyone seemed to have a decent game and we looked like a team not a bunch of individuals,, Vale supporting mate who came with us rated RHJ as the best player.Terrible ref though, lucky he never had a chance to point at the penalty spot. My only worry is with no Embleton next week he will bring Woolford back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
Les Brechin
October 6, 2018, 8:57pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,707
Gold Stars: 174
Amazing that we actually managed to win with that clown of a referee.

One of the worst I've seen at BP for a long time.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
mimma
October 6, 2018, 8:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
One thing about the ref, they made sure the foul was given by their theatrical dives and shouts when there was contact. That is why they get so many "soft" free kicks. We see it time and time again. It's something we don't do so when we have a soft ref it looks like he is favouring the opposition. We are too honest for our own good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
headingly_mariner
October 6, 2018, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Really decent performance second half after a mixed first half.

We had good balance across the midfield, Rose was combative and Clifton’s energy complimented him well. He’s had two fine games in the middle of the park in a row.

Thought Vernam, Embleton and Thomas caused them all sorts of problems. How Vernam hasn’t been starting is beyond me.

Hooper didn’t look like he’d ever played football before in the first half and then was unlucky not to score twice in a second half were he was really quite good. Certainly suits him better playing wide and hopefully the goal will boost his confidence in front of goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2018, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
So look what happens when you don't fiddle with the team, pick form players in their positions, have at least one natural FB on the pitch and most importantly pass the ball properly to a player that has moved into space - you look like a decent side and IMHO 100% better than last week, well done to MJ and the players!

Couldn't have had a better start with Thomas (who I really like) latching on to that back pass and using all his experience to slot it away, he needed a goal I reckon. Through the rest of the half we tried to create some stuff and ou movement up front looked much better and we do look more organised at the back. Credit to PV they pulled us a round a bit in the final 3rd and actually squandered a couple of chances that would have saw them equalize or even go in ahead at the break.    

In the 2nd half we played some of the best football I've seen at BP for absolutely ages, the combination of Verman, Thomas, Embleton and Hooper meant we looked dangerous and a lot of this was due to the hard work of Clifton who in what I reckon is his natural position glued things together really well. Also worth noting the work rate did not stop at all and the desire to play the ball made for some great entertainment. The 2nd goal was a decent move with great work from Verman and a piece of intelligence from Hooper who provided the Johnny on the spot finish. No finger pointed at JJ at all but it's a shame he hit the post earlier with what was possibly the best piece of football of the season never mind the match.

The players?

Macca - Cool, calm and in the right places when needed, goal kicks where interesting
RHJ - Really good game, with more miles on the clock he'll make a real difference, he's been missed
Hendrie - As he gets fitter he gets better, great competitor this lad
Whitmore - Really pleased for him kept his cool with their number 9 and delivered a brave performance
Collins - A 2nd good game in a row, showed the leadership that many of us last week through was missing
Rose - Lost the ball a bit but did some really ugly stuff all game, and looks to get it down all the time.
Clifton - In his best position was the glue that we'd been missing, brilliant work rate & vision. Based on today he should be keeping more senior players out of the CM role.
Embelton - Not sure why his goal was ruled out but alongside the other offensive players he provided real balance.  
Hooper - Clearly an enigma but did some really good things and worked hard for the team, the boo boys need to get off his back
Verman - This lad can move and his work for the 2nd was great, keep him in he'll get even better.
Thomas - Clever! and knows where to run, if we can keep a settled attack he'll get more goals for sure    

So the "new &  improved" defense held out and the lads managed the game to a conclusion for a well deserved win and just as importantly another clean sheet.

UTM!

PS 2 things......

The "supporters" calling for Hooper to be taken off after 15 mins (there where a good few in the Upper) need to look at themselves as that doesn't help.

The Ref - FFS!!!    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.