Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 265 Guests

Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

This thread currently has 9,490 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 2, 2018, 9:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I do a bit more now after tonight's confidence boosting win at Carlisle.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 2, 2018, 9:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,692
Gold Stars: 72
I’d decided I didn’t after the morecambe game, but one games past and he’s taken a big step in proving me wrong, and i’ll be more than ecstatic to be made to look silly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
Zmariner
October 2, 2018, 9:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Delighted to be eating  humble pie after comments expressing my doubts. Very brave team selections from Michael jolly tonight and huge respect for this. Absolutely delighted and some pride restored, we must follow it up on Saturday. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
oochiad
October 2, 2018, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Yes but if we don’t follow it up on Saturday let’s not all jump on his back! Things will come good but it may take time.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
October 2, 2018, 10:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Zmariner
Delighted to be eating  humble pie after comments expressing my doubts. Very brave team selections from Michael jolly tonight and huge respect for this. Absolutely delighted and some pride restored, we must follow it up on Saturday. Utm

No humble pie to be eaten. We have won a game, and no one is more delighted about that than me; however, Saturday and the weeks before still happened and we can only comment on what is put before us.

I am very pleased for MJ tonight, he will be feeling a whole lot better but there is a mountain of work still to do.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
1mickylyons
October 3, 2018, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Well done MJ most of the fan`s have tried to stick with him but this excellent win needs backing up with another Saturday or at the very least a draw.Keep it going fella.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
Jarmo.Is.God
October 3, 2018, 9:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
1 win doesn't make MJ a great manager, just like the 6 defeats didn't make him a dreadful manager IMO

Town fans need to remember that sometimes things don't go your way.
We've had injuries
Red cards
Played good teams
And had 0 momentum and 0 confidence.

We are Grimsby town, with a young, inexperienced manager, and people need to give him time when things don't go well, just like they need to not get too excited after a win.

MJ had a plan with a team and formation and instantly lost Whitehouse for the season before it even started.
He then lost Hall-Johnson, who is a very good wing back IMO

So despite only being 11 games in, weve had a lot of changes that he's been forced into, and played some good teams

Basically, give him time when its not going great, and stay grounded when we win.

We won't go up, and we won't go down, i'm sure of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 3, 2018, 9:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

No humble pie to be eaten. We have won a game, and no one is more delighted about that than me; however, Saturday and the weeks before still happened and we can only comment on what is put before us.

I am very pleased for MJ tonight, he will be feeling a whole lot better but there is a mountain of work still to do.

Absolutely. I think the manager will have learned from this win more than from the defeats. What did he do right? He picked players in positions to give of their best and they did. There has to be a place for Vernam in the side though I would say neither he nor Hooper will ever be a true striker. At times Vernam reminds me of a young Kevin Keegan but his finishing is poor. The lack of a potent striker once again almost cost us dearly because we could have had Carlisle dead and buried by half time and instead were backs to the wall.

I am chuffed to ribbons with the 3 points though, especially as at one stage we were propping up the whole EFL. Let’s see what Saturday brings. Can we break the BP poor form  hoodoo? Hope so. UTM

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
rancido
October 3, 2018, 11:28am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96

I am not saying he is a useless coach, far from it. But the job is completely different. To the first team manager at Burnley the priority he would give Jolley would be to develop players. That is totally different to being the first team manager. That job is about responsibility for the first team squad and getting results to progress the club. In L2 these are largely mature blokes with homes and families to support on wages that may be reasonable but will not be massive and contracts which are short term. There is a world of difference between dealing with a Burnley U-23 player on the way up and sorting out Danny Collins on his way down. Getting players to buy in to what the manager wants to see as a team on the park is the key factor. Yes, there is an element of player development but the guts of the job is to get results week on week, especially these days where a managerial position can be very short-lived.

You make some good points but all coaches/managers have to have some kind of basic knowledge to work from including relevant qualifications. Even the older players will have gone through some kind of development work in their early careers and worked under coaches, like Jolley, who have the necessary coaching qualifications. MJ also has the League Managers Association Diploma In Football Management. This qualification covers subjects such as Influencing and Negotiation, Mental Toughness and Resilience,  Football Finance, Diversity , Equality and Inclusion, Sports Science and Performance Analytics and focused on leadership, personal development and well being. These are all areas that in the past managers would have acquired by years of experience but the Football League have managed to put them in course form. His qualifications in the world of finance and his financial employment demonstrates that he is able to transfer the theoretical side into the practical side.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
rancido
October 3, 2018, 11:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yes, the old "it's the fans fault" again.

How about us fans getting a protest together on Saturday shouting "fans out"

Nobody is blaming the fans and the post doesn't say that. The fans though can influence the mood in the dressing room and on the pitch,especially if there are lots of negative, personal and unconstructive comments directed at the management/players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.