Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 391 Guests

Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

This thread currently has 9,427 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2018, 10:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Yes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Mariner_09
October 1, 2018, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I'm pretty certain that he CAN whether he WILL or not remains to be seen and I hope and think he will be given the time to show if he does. He clearly CAN otherwise we'd have been relegated last season. There are mitigating circumstances, injuries to players you'd rather have in the team and frankly restless fans who take no second invitations at throwing uninformed and unwarranted criticism at the team and manager. Obviously this understandable given the depravity of footballing quality since the turn of the century, but the fickleness of our fans is still undoubtedly present and can be overbearing I fear.

The other is that the problem ostensibly lies far deeper than Jolley. Paul Hurst is the only Town manager to have succeeded in my lifetime and it took him enough time to do so. Therefore a root cause is the only plausible explanation, this being John Fenty. He must set pitiful, alleged "competitive budgets" and seemingly expects minor miracles to occur while his dream of "Fentyism" becoming a reality in the vanity project that is the new stadium fails again and again due to his over-inflated ego. In short Jolley has the capability to turning the situation around but I believed he has been equipped with tools that make the task practically impossible.

Our club is intrinsically associated with failure since the "Fenty era" began and it will not abate until there is either a dramatic change in approach from Mr Fenty or he simply moves aside. Does he entertain outside investment as much as he public claims? I have my doubts. Does he want to step aside as much as he claims? Again, it is relatively clear that he doesn't. Thanks to 17-18 years of consistent failure with one promotion and a handful or memorable moments we are now seen as a club that lurks around the gateway to non-league and it wouldn't be surprising if we went back there.

I won't criticise Fenty for Jolley's appointment as pretty much everyone, including me, were absolutely behind this appointment. I can criticise him for appointing Marcus Bignot (when we were actually quite an attractive prospect I suspect because we had momentum in the right direction for once). I can't understand how on you can have a conversation with Bignot and not come to the conclusion that he is a complete "fruit loop". He still appointed him. Had we appointed Jolley (and given him a genuinely competitive budget) we'd probably be in a much better position now.

Jolley isn't particularly burdened by past failures as most of our past managers were and I hope given his relative lack of scars means he can re-energise the club in a way that previously was impossible. I desperately hope he can because I do think that his long term strategy would be ultimately very successful. Another new manager and then another shed load of new signings is the opposite of what is desirable. We are at the stage in the season where we can afford to give him time. If things don't improve (meaning we still get no points and score virtually no goals) by the end of November then I would act as that would be a decent sample to make a judgement upon. Until then I would try to relieve pressure and encourage motivation and belief. Surely positive energy would be more lucrative than this current atmosphere?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Zmariner
October 1, 2018, 11:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
I gamble we will see Collins in central defence tomorrow, Woolford ambling down the wing and Walsh winning block tackles then passing to the opposition. Davies at full back where he looks crap and Jordan Cook ruining himself ragged chasing big boots. We have. No pace, no strikers who can score, no wingers at all and a truly diabolical defence.
The players are not unfit just bemused by the set up
2 more games for MJ but I am lost on how he sets a team up. Can he turn this around, appears smart enough but 2 more defeats and he has got to go as his start deserves that. If there were some glimmers and structure fair enough but we have been rubbish from day 1 this season. We competed in only 3 games and that is pitiful. So he selects a logical team and gets a result or I would get rid sooner than later. Fingers crossed as we would all love him to succeed but a loss tomorrow and I will not show on Saturday with him in charge as it is a monumental waste of time and just makes me angry utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
ginnywings
October 1, 2018, 11:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Zmariner
I gamble we will see Collins in central defence tomorrow, Woolford ambling down the wing and Walsh winning block tackles then passing to the opposition. Davies at full back where he looks crap and Jordan Cook ruining himself ragged chasing big boots. We have. No pace, no strikers who can score, no wingers at all and a truly diabolical defence.
The players are not unfit just bemused by the set up
2 more games for MJ but I am lost on how he sets a team up. Can he turn this around, appears smart enough but 2 more defeats and he has got to go as his start deserves that. If there were some glimmers and structure fair enough but we have been rubbish from day 1 this season. We competed in only 3 games and that is pitiful. So he selects a logical team and gets a result or I would get rid sooner than later. Fingers crossed as we would all love him to succeed but a loss tomorrow and I will not show on Saturday with him in charge as it is a monumental waste of time and just makes me angry utm

Not much choice really, given that we are down to 2 fit centre backs. Davies won't be at full back because he has joined the growing injury list, and Cook is also carrying a knock. Think Hendrie can play centre back, but we have no left backs fit, so i presume he will play there, as he did Saturday when Davies went off. We really have been unlucky with injuries and suspensions so far, which is why i think we should hang fire a bit longer before changing the manager yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
Mrs Doyle
October 2, 2018, 4:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Ipswin

We just played the few teams that were even more crap than us and got lucky with penalties

Really how many did you see?

He has the time to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2018, 6:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I don’t think the question should be whether MJ has it within him to move this forward as I think he does but I think that question should be posed towards the players.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a group surrender like I have this lot in the last month or so, even at 0-0 it feels like they are waiting for the inevitable to happen rather than putting in a second effort to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
1mickylyons
October 2, 2018, 7:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I think he can and I think the player`s are far better than they are currently performing.Personally and this will upset a few I would start my changes with goalkeeper we need a far more commanding keeper and have done since Promotion.We were at our best when Henderson was in the team however long ago that was.Next Collins get him out and estabilish a partnership and build the spine from there CM and CF are doing ok the weak link is at the back.The decision to let Pearson go looks more baffling by the minute ? Clarke wasn`t anywhere near as good as SP and clearly DC this Season isn`t as good as Clarke was.In my opinion League 2 has been pish poor since we got back up yet we have found it a massive struggle the other ex football league clubs who suffered our fate Bristol,Lincoln and Tranmere and to a degree Cheltenham have had nowhere near our problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
arryarryarry
October 2, 2018, 12:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm pretty certain that he CAN whether he WILL or not remains to be seen and I hope and think he will be given the time to show if he does. He clearly CAN otherwise we'd have been relegated last season. There are mitigating circumstances, injuries to players you'd rather have in the team and frankly restless fans who take no second invitations at throwing uninformed and unwarranted criticism at the team and manager. Obviously this understandable given the depravity of footballing quality since the turn of the century, but the fickleness of our fans is still undoubtedly present and can be overbearing I fear.

The other is that the problem ostensibly lies far deeper than Jolley. Paul Hurst is the only Town manager to have succeeded in my lifetime and it took him enough time to do so. Therefore a root cause is the only plausible explanation, this being John Fenty. He must set pitiful, alleged "competitive budgets" and seemingly expects minor miracles to occur while his dream of "Fentyism" becoming a reality in the vanity project that is the new stadium fails again and again due to his over-inflated ego. In short Jolley has the capability to turning the situation around but I believed he has been equipped with tools that make the task practically impossible.

Our club is intrinsically associated with failure since the "Fenty era" began and it will not abate until there is either a dramatic change in approach from Mr Fenty or he simply moves aside. Does he entertain outside investment as much as he public claims? I have my doubts. Does he want to step aside as much as he claims? Again, it is relatively clear that he doesn't. Thanks to 17-18 years of consistent failure with one promotion and a handful or memorable moments we are now seen as a club that lurks around the gateway to non-league and it wouldn't be surprising if we went back there.

I won't criticise Fenty for Jolley's appointment as pretty much everyone, including me, were absolutely behind this appointment. I can criticise him for appointing Marcus Bignot (when we were actually quite an attractive prospect I suspect because we had momentum in the right direction for once). I can't understand how on you can have a conversation with Bignot and not come to the conclusion that he is a complete "fruit loop". He still appointed him. Had we appointed Jolley (and given him a genuinely competitive budget) we'd probably be in a much better position now.

Jolley isn't particularly burdened by past failures as most of our past managers were and I hope given his relative lack of scars means he can re-energise the club in a way that previously was impossible. I desperately hope he can because I do think that his long term strategy would be ultimately very successful. Another new manager and then another shed load of new signings is the opposite of what is desirable. We are at the stage in the season where we can afford to give him time. If things don't improve (meaning we still get no points and score virtually no goals) by the end of November then I would act as that would be a decent sample to make a judgement upon. Until then I would try to relieve pressure and encourage motivation and belief. Surely positive energy would be more lucrative than this current atmosphere?

Yes, the old "it's the fans fault" again.

How about us fans getting a protest together on Saturday shouting "fans out"
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
diehardmariner
October 2, 2018, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,078
Gold Stars: 518
Of course he can.

We looked a worse side than this and (amazingly) even less of a goal threat when we had that dry spell under Buckley MkIII before Patto got a consolation goal away at Torquay before we thumped Boston 6-0 the next week.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
psgmariner
October 2, 2018, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
He has made lots of mistakes this season but I can't see us attracting anyone decent so may as well stick with him another month and hope he comes good.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.