Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 177 Guests

Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

This thread currently has 9,479 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 2, 2018, 1:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm pretty certain that he CAN whether he WILL or not remains to be seen and I hope and think he will be given the time to show if he does. He clearly CAN otherwise we'd have been relegated last season. There are mitigating circumstances, injuries to players you'd rather have in the team and frankly restless fans who take no second invitations at throwing uninformed and unwarranted criticism at the team and manager. Obviously this understandable given the depravity of footballing quality since the turn of the century, but the fickleness of our fans is still undoubtedly present and can be overbearing I fear.

The other is that the problem ostensibly lies far deeper than Jolley. Paul Hurst is the only Town manager to have succeeded in my lifetime and it took him enough time to do so. Therefore a root cause is the only plausible explanation, this being John Fenty. He must set pitiful, alleged "competitive budgets" and seemingly expects minor miracles to occur while his dream of "Fentyism" becoming a reality in the vanity project that is the new stadium fails again and again due to his over-inflated ego. In short Jolley has the capability to turning the situation around but I believed he has been equipped with tools that make the task practically impossible.

Our club is intrinsically associated with failure since the "Fenty era" began and it will not abate until there is either a dramatic change in approach from Mr Fenty or he simply moves aside. Does he entertain outside investment as much as he public claims? I have my doubts. Does he want to step aside as much as he claims? Again, it is relatively clear that he doesn't. Thanks to 17-18 years of consistent failure with one promotion and a handful or memorable moments we are now seen as a club that lurks around the gateway to non-league and it wouldn't be surprising if we went back there.

I won't criticise Fenty for Jolley's appointment as pretty much everyone, including me, were absolutely behind this appointment. I can criticise him for appointing Marcus Bignot (when we were actually quite an attractive prospect I suspect because we had momentum in the right direction for once). I can't understand how on you can have a conversation with Bignot and not come to the conclusion that he is a complete "fruit loop". He still appointed him. Had we appointed Jolley (and given him a genuinely competitive budget) we'd probably be in a much better position now.

Jolley isn't particularly burdened by past failures as most of our past managers were and I hope given his relative lack of scars means he can re-energise the club in a way that previously was impossible. I desperately hope he can because I do think that his long term strategy would be ultimately very successful. Another new manager and then another shed load of new signings is the opposite of what is desirable. We are at the stage in the season where we can afford to give him time. If things don't improve (meaning we still get no points and score virtually no goals) by the end of November then I would act as that would be a decent sample to make a judgement upon. Until then I would try to relieve pressure and encourage motivation and belief. Surely positive energy would be more lucrative than this current atmosphere?

Thank you Mrs Jolley!

As a sad and restless fan wishing to throw a bit of unwarranted and uniformed criticism, may I just point out that Mr Jolley may not be overburdened by failure but he is not overburdened by success either. Youth coaching, which like Neil Woods is what Jolley has done most of, is not about results but about player development. When tasked with getting grown men in a first team men to achieve in a league his scoreboard in Sweden was not exactly impressive was it? This is a very different world to the training pitch full of eager young lads busting a gut to do as they are told in the hope of making the first team.

All this chuntering about patience, new attitudes and becoming like Crewe used to be and the like is just so much eyewash. Jolley's job is very, very simple - get points on the board in L2 .........now. Not tomorrow, not next season, not in the new stadium but now .... before it's too late.

I cannot believe he got this job on results so he must have had some very influential acquaintances and a brilliant interview technique.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
diehardmariner
October 2, 2018, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,390
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ginnywings

Not much choice really, given that we are down to 2 fit centre backs. Davies won't be at full back because he has joined the growing injury list, and Cook is also carrying a knock. Think Hendrie can play centre back, but we have no left backs fit, so i presume he will play there, as he did Saturday when Davies went off. We really have been unlucky with injuries and suspensions so far, which is why i think we should hang fire a bit longer before changing the manager yet again.

Really good point and quite easy to forget that we have had a bloody awful run with injuries.   Obviously when the chips are down it's easy to over analyse everything and in this instance the finger of blame gets pointed at this new approach with the fitness coaches and raises the questions of what is actually going on at the training ground that's causing all these injuries.

But with a fully fit squad to choose from and providing there's no needless tinkering, it's not the worst line-up in the world.  I think defensively it looks a bit weak and it would definitely benefit from a proper No 9 up top but there's an absolute luxury of players who could play as the support strikers/attacking midfielders.  

In Jolley's shoes and based on what I've seen so far, I would be making Famewo and Whitmore my back pairing for now.  Davis looks to be out for the long-term and you need some pace at the heart of the defence.  Hall-Johnson on the right is fine and providing he's got a decent winger in front of him/isn't over exposed I think Fox is fine too, he just needs a run of games to get into this stride (like he did last season).

Midfield depends on what system you're playing.  Personally I would really like to see us go for it and have a 3 of Welsh, Embleton and Pringle.  Welsh anchoring with the other two given licence to push on and be creative, especially in the absence of two rampaging full-backs.  You've then got Rose, Clifton and Hessenthaler who can come in at any point.  

Up top I still maintain we badly miss Cardwell.  He's not a world beater but he was a very effective leader of the line towards the end of last season.  Him fit and leading the line would make a massive difference, any two of Cook, Vernam and Thomas working off his running and hustle would get plenty of opportunities.  That's before even having the option of bringing sheer pace on in the form of Rose and Wright, which I firmly believe would terrify sides in the closing 20 minutes of games.

Working with what we've got doesn't address the lack of balance in the squad but it isn't impossible to pick something that resembles a team.  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
Paris Mariner
October 2, 2018, 2:15pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

No I don't wilko back for his coaching methods...all I am saying is that maybe he was the strong hand last season...I have no doubt he kept his trap shut due to slades relationship with Fenty and yes, the games under him were terrible but I think the players probably got more rollockings and were made to listen to what Jolley had to say whereas as now there appears to be a lack of discipline.....

I can see your point.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 70
October 2, 2018, 2:42pm
Guest User
Yes
Reply: 43 - 70
rancido
October 2, 2018, 4:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96

Thank you Mrs Jolley!

As a sad and restless fan wishing to throw a bit of unwarranted and uniformed criticism, may I just point out that Mr Jolley may not be overburdened by failure but he is not overburdened by success either. Youth coaching, which like Neil Woods is what Jolley has done most of, is not about results but about player development. When tasked with getting grown men in a first team men to achieve in a league his scoreboard in Sweden was not exactly impressive was it? This is a very different world to the training pitch full of eager young lads busting a gut to do as they are told in the hope of making the first team.

All this chuntering about patience, new attitudes and becoming like Crewe used to be and the like is just so much eyewash. Jolley's job is very, very simple - get points on the board in L2 .........now. Not tomorrow, not next season, not in the new stadium but now .... before it's too late.

I cannot believe he got this job on results so he must have had some very influential acquaintances and a brilliant interview technique.

Jolley was the under 23 team coach at Burnley for three years - hardly youth coaching! I would imagine quite a few of the players he was working with were in the 20 -23 year old bracket and could be described as " grown men ". These would all be players who were on the cusp of playing for the first team and certainly not raw novices.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
Richard
October 2, 2018, 5:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +59
i think we need to sign that canadian goose
last seen at macc not seen or won since  

everywhere we go ,everywhere we go
its the grimsby boys makin all the noise

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
grimsby pete
October 2, 2018, 5:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If a man deserves to keep his job because of his hard work and commitment then its Jolley.

Whether he does or not depends on results and I for one hopes he can get them.

Starting with beating Carlisle then Port Vale.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 2, 2018, 5:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

Jolley was the under 23 team coach at Burnley for three years - hardly youth coaching! I would imagine quite a few of the players he was working with were in the 20 -23 year old bracket and could be described as " grown men ". These would all be players who were on the cusp of playing for the first team and certainly not raw novices.

I am not saying he is a useless coach, far from it. But the job is completely different. To the first team manager at Burnley the priority he would give Jolley would be to develop players. That is totally different to being the first team manager. That job is about responsibility for the first team squad and getting results to progress the club. In L2 these are largely mature blokes with homes and families to support on wages that may be reasonable but will not be massive and contracts which are short term. There is a world of difference between dealing with a Burnley U-23 player on the way up and sorting out Danny Collins on his way down. Getting players to buy in to what the manager wants to see as a team on the park is the key factor. Yes, there is an element of player development but the guts of the job is to get results week on week, especially these days where a managerial position can be very short-lived.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
arryarryarry
October 2, 2018, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116

I am not saying he is a useless coach, far from it. But the job is completely different. To the first team manager at Burnley the priority he would give Jolley would be to develop players. That is totally different to being the first team manager. That job is about responsibility for the first team squad and getting results to progress the club. In L2 these are largely mature blokes with homes and families to support on wages that may be reasonable but will not be massive and contracts which are short term. There is a world of difference between dealing with a Burnley U-23 player on the way up and sorting out Danny Collins on his way down. Getting players to buy in to what the manager wants to see as a team on the park is the key factor. Yes, there is an element of player development but the guts of the job is to get results week on week, especially these days where a managerial position can be very short-lived.

I agree.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
chaos33
October 2, 2018, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I think you make a very pertinent point RRFC.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.