Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

This thread currently has 9,487 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
October 1, 2018, 5:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I think it shows a lot about a manager's coaching methods what they do pre-match. Take Lincoln, for example, on the pitch before the game at BP earlier in the season they had 9 back room staff on the pitch (including the Cowley's) and three groups of players warming up (subs, first XI and keepers). OK, they didn't play well that day but they probably do the same routine most weeks and a sitting pretty at the top of League 2. Meanwhile, you want Wilko to come back with his 'chipping it up to four defenders from the half-way line warm up'...

No I don't wilko back for his coaching methods...all I am saying is that maybe he was the strong hand last season...I have no doubt he kept his trap shut due to slades relationship with Fenty and yes, the games under him were terrible but I think the players probably got more rollockings and were made to listen to what Jolley had to say whereas as now there appears to be a lack of discipline.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
Mariner Timsky
October 1, 2018, 5:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Really want Jolley to get it right and do well for us but unfortunately I just can’t see it.

Think this time next week and after 2 more defeats we could well be manager less.

Now if we had a decent board in charge then talks and contacts would be made right now seeing who is available to come in say next Monday and sort this lot out.

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
Cod Cheeks
October 1, 2018, 5:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Yes of course he can and hopefully will
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
golfer
October 1, 2018, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Maringer
I don't go with the view that we look unfit in any way. I think we're just lacking a bit in pace. Combined with the fact that we're playing poorly and so find ourselves on the back foot, just reacting to what is happening, and so it looks as though we just can't keep up with the opposition.

In our good performance against Lincoln, we didn't look unfit because we were on the front foot. It we can somehow find form from somewhere, we'll suddenly seem a lot fitter.

Good post. We have had the run of luck against us.[ It's never happened to me   ] but I know several golfers who have hit a bad shot,then their next shot is invariably bad because they are trying too hard. A lot of it is a confidence thing that is affecting our players-just a bit of luck and we could turn the tables. At the moment every mistake seems to get punished. I bet they are as drunk off as we are-the tide will soon turn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
davmariner
October 1, 2018, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,912
Gold Stars: 79
Afraid I can’t see him turning it around. He’s full of cliches and soundbites and has demonstrated very little substance.

We’re a terrible team that can’t defend, can’t create chances and certainly can’t score.

Have seen most of pre-season (the little we had of it) and every game this season. I think this is one of the most inept GTFC teams ever.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 1, 2018, 7:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

No I don't wilko back for his coaching methods...all I am saying is that maybe he was the strong hand last season...I have no doubt he kept his trap shut due to slades relationship with Fenty and yes, the games under him were terrible but I think the players probably got more rollockings and were made to listen to what Jolley had to say whereas as now there appears to be a lack of discipline.....

A fair proportion of this squad was ever coached by Wilko in fact only 3 of the lads that started on Saturday where here last year,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
Townee82
October 1, 2018, 7:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Is the problem that MJ is just to nice ? We keep hearing stories about what a genuinly good guy with a caring nature he is , people of this temperament are often taken advantage of by fellow humans as they see these as a weakness to be exploited maybe the squad are taking liberties and abusing his deminure .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 1, 2018, 8:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Townee82
Is the problem that MJ is just to nice ? We keep hearing stories about what a genuinly good guy with a caring nature he is , people of this temperament are often taken advantage of by fellow humans as they see these as a weakness to be exploited maybe the squad are taking liberties and abusing his deminure .

I wondered this, is the "modern way" not effective with 4th Division footballers some of whom have been around he circuit for a bit? At school you always respected the stricter teachers more.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
lowerfindus
October 1, 2018, 9:08pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
A little patience is what's required but after 15 years of fenty rule any sign of trouble puts even the most mild town fan into a flat spin. Patience is thin when even your most successful manager of the last 7 years had a pretty dire home record. What has there to be excited about watching town at home for years?

We can't go on sacking manager after manager and expect things to change. At some point we have to give someone a chance to build.

I believe that given time MJ can do that. It's the first time we have a guy in charge that seems to understand the area. He has brought in players most of us see as decent even if they are not performing presently. Since being back in the league 4 managers have struggled to get a striker in. That means either all four (PH,MB,RS,MJ) have rubbish contacts, all four don't like signing forward, all four don't want to score goals, all four have personality disorders that drive players away or more likely all four have been unable to go for strikers due to budget and location of GTFC.

Fenty is the real problem at our club and he is a very lucky non chairman that the fans are not motivated enough to be calling for his head at every opportunity. That's the kind of silent misery you get when a club has been consistently badly run and alienated fans.

UTM

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
A.l.f.
October 1, 2018, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Yes i think he can BUT the players need to work harder and show us that they are not as bad as we saw on Saturday and the last few matches.  We need pace and width so need to give Akeem Rose and Max Wright a go and get some service to Wes Thomas.
I'm hoping he can as Saturday was awful and ruined my weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Anybody Believe MJ Can Turn This Around.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.