Son of Cod
July 24, 2018, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Les Brechin

I reckon £15k or £20k will be a lot closer!

Exactly! The only way they'll get anything like a few hundred grand off this is if they have a sell on clause and he does well and we flog him to Posh or someone for a million in a year or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 115
Stew0_0
July 24, 2018, 10:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Now confirmed on towns twitter. Squad number 18
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 115
mike502
July 24, 2018, 10:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
From the OS:
Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of Derby County forward, Charles Vernam on a two-year-deal.  

The 21-year-old joined The Mariners on loan in January 2018 going on to make 9 appearances, scoring once before picking up an injury which saw his loan spell end abruptly.

Speaking exclusively to gtfc.co.uk, Vernam discussed the move and his delight at moving back to his home town. "I'm really happy to get this move done, I feel it's going to be a really important move for me and hopefully I can show similar signs to those when I was last here", said Vernam. "I'm really happy to be back here, back to the area, back with my family and I can't wait to get started again".

Despite not working directly alongside current Manager, Michael Jolley, Vernam discussed how much of a part he had to play in making a return to the club possible. "The first thing was the manager", mentioned Vernam.

"Ever since I got injured, he was in touch with me and the day after I left the club, he was straight on the phone saying that if there was a possibility, he would like to bring me back. When you have got somebody who believes in you like that and wants you to be part of something, it's very reassuring and I almost wanted to repay that faith he showed in me to come back and try help him as much as he has helped me."

Despite his significant injury last season, Charles believes he has come back stronger after taking part in a vigorous pre-season schedule with his previous club. "It's been a long pre-season, which started much earlier than others", said Vernam. "With the injury rehabilitation and trying to get back fit it's been a long time but I feel in a great place and now, it's going to feel like time is going really quick as we build up to the beginning of the season and I can't wait to get back on that pitch in front of our fans!"

We also caught up with Michael Jolley, who spoke to us about bringing Vernam back to the club. "Charles is a very good person and a very good player", mentioned Jolley. "We think he has got a lot of potential and with him being from Caistor, he knows the area really well and is a natural fit. We think that he can be someone who can come in and score goals for us, so we are really happy to bring him back to the club".

The Manager also confirmed that Town had beat a number of clubs to Charles' signature, something that he is happy to have done. “I know there was other interest from other clubs, I think some clubs in League One", said Jolley. "The fact that he was well treated by Grimsby when he was here before, the fact that I’ve got a good relationship with him, he wants to come and be part of what we are doing at Grimsby is a big plus for us.

Charles will now be available for selection ahead of our final home pre-season game vs. Doncaster Rovers this evening, be sure you are part of it by securing tickets via our online ticket store.

Vernam will wear the number 18 shirt for the 18/19 season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 115
CatchOfTheDay
July 24, 2018, 10:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
Now confirmed by the club, should be a good player at this level if he keeps himself fit. Feeling even more confident coming into the season, August 4th can’t come soon enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 115
caistormariner
July 24, 2018, 10:37am

Always think in Black and White
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +62
Just announced on the club website
two year deal

welcome Charles a great signing in my very humble opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 115
Stew0_0
July 24, 2018, 10:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Wouldnt be surprised now to see us sign Antoine Fortune. A big target man with vernum and cook feeding off him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 115
Roast Em Bobby
July 24, 2018, 10:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Great signing for us. Apparently he sees himself as a 10 or 8 so I take back my previous comment about him not being a midfielder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 115
July 24, 2018, 11:00am
Guest User
Quoted from 139847
I have it on good authority that he is set to sign on a permanent deal - all his close mates confirm this!

As I said... Cut your trash talk 'kris2' and all you red crossers
Reply: 67 - 115
grimsby pete
July 24, 2018, 11:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Watching Hooper a few times live and studied most of his other games on video,

JJ  could turn into another Bogle for us,

Under Jolley he might score the 20+ goals a season we are desperate for and move on to bigger things giving us a very big pay day indeed.

We have Vernam now( a good signing) so with JJ on the left and Cookie on the right both cutting in with speed we will have a feared attacking force and  a solid midfield plus a strong defence things are looking up.

I think I am talking myself into a promotion season here.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 115
mike502
July 24, 2018, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Great signing for us. Apparently he sees himself as a 10 or 8 so I take back my previous comment about him not being a midfielder

Hence shirt number 18?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.