This thread currently has 28,153 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
July 23, 2018, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
He proved last time he was here he was keen, skilfull neat player ticks all the right boxes for me. Nice one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 115
acko338
July 23, 2018, 5:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
If he can be kept fit, he has enthusiasm and a footballing brain.

I wonder if Jolley is looking at 5+ players scoring 10 each rather than 1 expensive 20 goals forward.

If the team can do the magic "gelling" early doors,  then maybe goals could come from all areas.

It would be good to see 4 or 5 each from set plays by the centre halves - been quite rare in recent seasons.

Must build from the back - tight defense needed please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 115
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 23, 2018, 7:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I’d be happy with this one as well although I’m not really sure where all our forwards will fit in. Also with the possibly signing of Vernam would mean that we are giving up on trying to purchase a “20 goal a season man” such as Bowman etc etc ?

Cook
Hooper
Robles
Rose
Cardwell
Vernam ?

That’s a fair few forwards on the books but no real stand out player in terms of being a prolific goalscorer....Well...yet !

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 115
monkeyboy
July 23, 2018, 8:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
any new signing could be a risk, look at whitehouse.

He will most likely be fine, not many players give up playing now with injuries like there used to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 115
Mighty_Mariner
July 23, 2018, 8:22pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
I’d be happy with this one as well although I’m not really sure where all our forwards will fit in. Also with the possibly signing of Vernam would mean that we are giving up on trying to purchase a “20 goal a season man” such as Bowman etc etc ?

Cook
Hooper
Robles
Rose
Cardwell
Vernam ?

That’s a fair few forwards on the books but no real stand out player in terms of being a prolific goalscorer....Well...yet !

I still think MJ will be looking to sign a recognised centre forward in the Bowman mould... We don't really have a target man-type player who can offer something different to our other forwards.

Perhaps Vernham had been signed as a result of Whitehouse's injury.

For me were only now missing (provided Vernham signs)
a target man, cover at right back and maybe some pace out wide as a different option...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 115
rancido
July 23, 2018, 8:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from acko338
If he can be kept fit, he has enthusiasm and a footballing brain.

I wonder if Jolley is looking at 5+ players scoring 10 each rather than 1 expensive 20 goals forward.

If the team can do the magic "gelling" early doors,  then maybe goals could come from all areas.

It would be good to see 4 or 5 each from set plays by the centre halves - been quite rare in recent seasons.

Must build from the back - tight defense needed please.

That's a scenario I would always prefer. If you are dependant on a star striker scoring the bulk of your goals then in the event of him getting injured there is a danger of the goals "drying up". If you have several players all chipping in with 10 goals you can still be effective if one of them gets injured.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 115
Roast Em Bobby
July 23, 2018, 8:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Struggling to see why people are linking vernam to whitehouse injury. One is a midfielder the other a forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 115
jamesgtfc
July 23, 2018, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from rancido

That's a scenario I would always prefer. If you are dependant on a star striker scoring the bulk of your goals then in the event of him getting injured there is a danger of the goals "drying up". If you have several players all chipping in with 10 goals you can still be effective if one of them gets injured.

It is also easier for the opposition to mark the 20 goal man out of the game than it is to mark 3-4 goal threats out of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 115
Poojah
July 23, 2018, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It is also easier for the opposition to mark the 20 goal man out of the game than it is to mark 3-4 goal threats out of the game.

The paradox there of course is that, by definition, if a player scores 20+ goals in a season, he’s presumably not that easy to mark out of the game afterall.

Most successful sides have both - a single talisman leading the charge with several others chipping in with decent numbers. That’s certainly how it’s panned our in our last two promotion seasons with Donovan and Amond backed up by the likes of Groves and Bogle respectively.

The consensus, particularly amongst Derby fans, seems to be that Vernam is better than this level. Of course, his career to date doesn’t scream ‘goal machine’ however let’s not forget that he’s 21 and we have a pretty limited statistics sample to go on.

The fact he impressed last season in a side in absolutely wretched form, completely devoid of confidence, gives me reason for optimism (should he indeed sign).

All that said, I concur with the view that we’d still need another striker in the mould of Bowman (i.e. 6ft+). Vernam would be another wee man in a squad whose average height must be well below 6ft; pretty untypical of a modern league two side.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 115
jamesgtfc
July 23, 2018, 9:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

The paradox there of course is that, by definition, if a player scores 20+ goals in a season, he’s presumably not that easy to mark out of the game afterall.

Most successful sides have both - a single talisman leading the charge with several others chipping in with decent numbers. That’s certainly how it’s panned our in our last two promotion seasons with Donovan and Amond backed up by the likes of Groves and Bogle respectively.

The consensus, particularly amongst Derby fans, seems to be that Vernam is better than this level. Of course, his career to date doesn’t scream ‘goal machine’ however let’s not forget that he’s 21 and we have a pretty limited statistics sample to go on.

The fact he impressed last season in a side in absolutely wretched form, completely devoid of confidence, gives me reason for optimism (should he indeed sign).

All that said, I concur with the view that we’d still need another striker in the mould of Bowman (i.e. 6ft+). Vernam would be another wee man in a squad whose average height must be well below 6ft; pretty untypical of a modern league two side.

I often think if you have a big, 6ft5 target man you are too tempted to move away from the plan and punt the ball upfield. This team could do with a player in the mould of Gary Jones to link the play intelligently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.