Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

NEW ASSISTANT!

This thread currently has 15,604 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from sam gy
Hey Ipswin, I know supporting a team like GTFC is, in reality, hardly ever fun in terms of results and overall success. But you know what is fun? Optimism, believing something cool could happen, getting behind good decisions and apparent momentum....

You should try it sometime.

It is 60 years this December since I first saw Town and got addicted.

I have therefore had 60 years of optimism, at least 50 of which have proved false and just shattered dreams

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 7:57am
Vodka Drinker
If he gets us 69 points next season I'll be absolutely delighted and will kiss he bottom like everyone else

But what about the hot dog

No that was some other daft buggers (unfullfilled) promise or do you mean the hot dog will be up MJ's bottom?

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 8:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Youngy

I do actually understand your point about the over optimism but you don't seem to support him full stop. Why is that? Because you wanted Paul Harsley?

Not necessarily although of the two I wanted Harsley

I didn't want some totally unknown inexperienced man at all and I still don't understand, given the position we were in when he arrived, why everyone was getting so excited about him as soon as his name was mentioned when no one knew anything about him, wierd.

And its not that I don't support him, I will 'support' whatever that means, every GTFC manager - yes even Slade and Newell - but I don't believe he will prove to be the great new style Messiah that everyone else does. I hope I'm wrong of course but it's all too much too quickly. Unless he gets a few older heads in the side I can see us getting taken apart on the pitch next season and that worries me

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Ffs you must be flipping joyful to live with isn’t part of being a fan getting a twinge of preseason excitement

Of course but I prefer not to go creaming my jeans like a kid all the time like some. If you have supported GTFC for more than five minutes you will know that optimism is more often than not misplaced.

There's pre-season excitement and total stupidity, bet you are impossible to live with too as Christmas and Santa approaches

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 12, 2018, 9:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Sounds like you have about 10 years on me Swin.
But all Town fans have experienced the same as you!.  You are no different from the rest of us.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
marinerrick
June 12, 2018, 10:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
All I know is its an exciting time to be a gtfc fan. However there are going to be a lot of players/staff left at the bottom of the barrel come season opener as we seem to buying now not when barrel nearly empty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
Mariner93er
June 12, 2018, 10:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
If i couldnt allow myself to get excited, whether misplaced or not, i dont think I could carry on supporting grimsby. Its all apart of the emotional rollercoaster that makes being a football fan so enjoyable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
oldun
June 12, 2018, 10:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A brave new world of the new generation with modern systems and ideas running the show. We have left the dinosaurs behind, let's hope we can show league 2 what we are about. Will be interesting if nothing else and probably younger players will buy into it and play the modern way. Mini Spurs will do for me. Just need the next Harry Cane up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
rancido
June 12, 2018, 11:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm here and I complained to myself about half an hour ago when I read the announcement

No point in posting on here as I will only get slaughtered by every fornicator who has blind faith in MJ and everything he does.

What I can't grasp is why? He kept us up fair enough but other than that why the hero worship and why the over the top optimism

I looked back to the posts when we were first looking for a manager As soon as Jolley's name was mentioned every twit was immediately rooting for him despite the fact that all we knew in the first few days was that he was an ex-financial trader and he'd just left a job in Sweden after being relegated. Why I can't work out.

The thing about Jolley is that he is part of the modern way of coaching football teams in the use of analysis, sports science, psychology and dietary requirements.
I think its a bit like Southgate and England, he has somehow persuaded everyone its going to be different and I suspect that even if he loses all three group games there will be a groundswell of 'give him a bit longer' or 'give him an other chance' or 'lets see what he does in the Euros'

I am afraid that, God forbid and I don't think it likely but, if we are relegated under Jolley he will still keep his job on the basis of 'he's trying to build something'

Please note, before any sodomist starts, I have said I do not expect us to be relegated but if we are, or if we have another 'Slade-type' season stuck in the bottom end of the table (which everyone moaned about last season) will he still be the Messiah and will he keep his job whatever

The thing about Jolley is that he is part of the new approach to football coaching. He recognises the importance of sports science, psychology, dietary and fitness regimes and detailed analysis. Football coaching has moved on a considerable amount in the last 10 years and he represents the new, analytical approach.
Your mention of Southgate I think is unfair because he again represents the modern approach. Southgate represents continuity in England coaching having previously coached the young and up and coming England players. Preparing coaches by using them with the " young Lions" so that a coach can become the senior England coach is an approach that the FA should have adopted a long time ago. A conveyor belt of able coaches coming through the FA system is the most sensible approach to producing a successful England team which ultimately is good for English football at all levels. It maybe more difficult to replicate at club level although Liverpool demonstrated in the 60's, 70's and 80's that promoting from the " boot room" was the way forward.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
TheGoalKipper
June 12, 2018, 11:08am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
i'm very happy with the new coaching team and while i think the new signings will do a good job for us i am under no illusions that the players we have signed so far are not going to turn us into a promotion team. There needs to be some proven quality signned before the new season kicks off to make this a good L2 team. Some of our younger players will hopefully improve but there is a lot to do still.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.