Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 375 Guests

NEW ASSISTANT!

This thread currently has 15,597 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
sutton mariner
June 11, 2018, 2:25pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Cryptic 15 second video on Twitter showing the manager’s office. When they’ve put these little 15 second slices up before a signing announcement has followed. Everyone’s guessing the new assistant manager could follow shortly?

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
pizzzza
June 11, 2018, 2:31pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the appointments of Assistant Manager, Anthony Limbrick (left) and Assistant Coach, Adam Forrest (right).

[url]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/new-assistant-manager--assistant-coach-appointed/[/url]
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 80
Hagrid
June 11, 2018, 2:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
the assistant been a coach at west ham and england u17's, recently manager of woking and will move to the area
the coach worked with Jolley at AFC Ekilstuana, turned down other better paid job offers to come here, he will do coaching and sports science and work along the young lad greg in training
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 80
OllieGTFC
June 11, 2018, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
FINALLY A MANAGER GETTING WHAT HE WANTS !! Postivve times ahead bring on the season

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 80
WokingMariner
June 11, 2018, 2:41pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
I rated Limbrick when he started at Woking. Cards got rid of a lot of their best players and then decided to let him go too. Results were no better without him.

He'll do well for us I think.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 80
Mighty_Mariner
June 11, 2018, 2:45pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Excellent news!!

MJ is really starting to mould the club into what he wants and it think this all points to a very bright future under his management and leadership.

What I like is both the squad and coaching team are all young professionals, with great backgrounds and expierience who will bring fresh ideas,  perspectives and innovative ways of doing things.

Definitely gling to eb sticking some cash on us being promoted this year!

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 80
promotion plaice
June 11, 2018, 2:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Welcome aboard Anthony and Adam.

Definitely getting another season ticket now UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 80
psgmariner
June 11, 2018, 2:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
They both look very young. We are the Benjamin Button of English football. The whole club is getting younger and younger.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 80
Grumps
June 11, 2018, 2:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Two really good appointments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 2:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,165
Gold Stars: 265
https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=42684

Adam Forrest's record - not bad times! always thought that players running styles could be improved to make them faster and more efficient.He'd be the man to do it!

and here's a piece from the NLP on Limbrick
https://www.thenonleaguefootba.....ss-anthony-limbrick/

another couple of left field appointments.It's exciting isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
June 11, 2018, 2:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
From their bio they both look exciting signings!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
pizzzza
June 11, 2018, 2:56pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from psgmariner
They both look very young. We are the Benjamin Button of English football. The whole club is getting younger and younger.

The only downside to that is that it makes me feel older and older!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
Gainsbro_Mariner
June 11, 2018, 3:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I’m not going to lie and say I’ve heard of either of them but this is a bold statement from the club and MJ. Two very educated and great young coaches with bags of potential. I think we are at an age where Football is evolving in terms of what a coach does and how he does it, certainly from a sports science perspective. I look forward to seeing what these guys can do for our squad and how they can help with the younger players. Again like I said when MJ was appointed, I’d rather see us appoint guys like this than middle aged coaching dinosaurs who are stuck on the footballing merry go round.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
grimsby pete
June 11, 2018, 3:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
Well done to John Fenty in giving Michael the tools he needs,

We give him stick when he deserves it so it's only fair we praise him when he does this,

I hope they are all here in 5 years time when we are in the championship.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
Maringer
June 11, 2018, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from grimsby pete
Well done to John Fenty in giving Michael the tools he needs,

Bit harsh, Pete. They are probably lovely blokes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
Manchester Mariner
June 11, 2018, 3:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
All seems a bit progressive and positive this. Exciting times.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
Roast Em Bobby
June 11, 2018, 3:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Very positive - Hopefully Limbrick will know of a few rough diamonds in the conference that we can maybe pick-up too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
RonMariner
June 11, 2018, 3:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,661
Gold Stars: 226
It seems to me that MJ must have set out his stall at interview and taken the job on condition that he bring in the back up team of his choosing to move the club forward.

It's like the club has leapt forward twenty years in four months. We now seem to be embracing cutting edge practices off the pitch which will undoubtedly pay dividends on it.

I know we still have a number of signings to go before the squad take shape, but I am more positive about the coming season than I have been for many a year.

I think we have turned a corner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 11, 2018, 3:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I would guess that by the end of the first week in pre-season training we will know much more about how this backroom team will work. Individual programmes of fitness and skills will be the order of the day I reckon.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
Tommy
June 11, 2018, 3:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
Jarmo.Is.God
June 11, 2018, 3:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Maringer

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
grimsby pete
June 11, 2018, 4:02pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
RichMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
What encourages me most about this management team is that if you're a young player looking to rebuild your career in football after being released by a top club, you might - if you've done your homework - consider Grimsby above other teams based on Jolley et al being committed to coaching and developing young players.

You could go to, I dunno, Oldham - where Sheridan will chuck mud at a wall and hope some of it sticks - or you could sign for the Mariners where highly qualified coaches will give you a chance and try and make you the best you can be. No offence to Sheridan - might be me being lazy - but his track record suggests he won't be there to help you develop beyond one season.

It's literally the total opposite of what Russell Slade was doing. He didn't seem interested in developing anyone; if you looked rubbish after three games, you were benched, dropped from the squad altogether and replaced by a loan signing.

I'm not going to get carried away and say we're going to finish in the play-offs next season. In many ways, that's secondary. What I'm looking forward to is a new team made up of Jolley's players, playing Jolley's way, and watching them build on-field partnerships - and, coupled with more off-field events, build stronger relationships with the fans.

If we get that bit right, then good times on the pitch (and ultimately promotion) will surely follow.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
fishyfanny
June 11, 2018, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.90
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Welcome to the new assistants, things are starting to shape up nicely.

But GTFC, can you please ask someone to proof read your Club Statements, before you post them? It looks very amateurish.

Quote -' Manager, Michael Jolley has spoke to us about his new assistant and has spoke of his joy at securing Anthony's services'

It should be SPOKEN not spoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
Cloudy
June 11, 2018, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Tommy

Very good article. Suggests a young hungry team who will play at a high tempo with Gump getting them as fit as a fiddle.

New ways, new era but how long before someone complains about a lack of experience
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 4:12pm

Exile
Quoted from Cloudy

Very good article. Suggests a young hungry team who will play at a high tempo with Gump getting them as fit as a fiddle.

New ways, new era but how long before someone complains about a lack of experience[b][/b]

where's Ipswin when you need him?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
RonMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from fishyfanny
Welcome to the new assistants, things are starting to shape up nicely.

But GTFC, can you please ask someone to proof read your Club Statements, before you post them? It looks very amateurish.

Quote -' Manager, Michael Jolley has spoke to us about his new assistant and has spoke of his joy at securing Anthony's services'

It should be SPOKEN not spoke.

Spelling not brilliant either!

'Michael Jolley has spoke about his new recuit and believes it to be a real coup for the club.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
Ipswin
June 11, 2018, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from forza ivano

where's Ipswin when you need him?

I'm here and I complained to myself about half an hour ago when I read the announcement

No point in posting on here as I will only get slaughtered by every fornicator who has blind faith in MJ and everything he does.

What I can't grasp is why? He kept us up fair enough but other than that why the hero worship and why the over the top optimism

I looked back to the posts when we were first looking for a manager As soon as Jolley's name was mentioned every twit was immediately rooting for him despite the fact that all we knew in the first few days was that he was an ex-financial trader and he'd just left a job in Sweden after being relegated. Why I can't work out.

I think its a bit like Southgate and England, he has somehow persuaded everyone its going to be different and I suspect that even if he loses all three group games there will be a groundswell of 'give him a bit longer' or 'give him an other chance' or 'lets see what he does in the Euros'

I am afraid that, God forbid and I don't think it likely but, if we are relegated under Jolley he will still keep his job on the basis of 'he's trying to build something'

Please note, before any sodomist starts, I have said I do not expect us to be relegated but if we are, or if we have another 'Slade-type' season stuck in the bottom end of the table (which everyone moaned about last season) will he still be the Messiah and will he keep his job whatever

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
RichMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I think there were a couple of videos floating around online before he was appointed in which Jolley demonstrated his tactical thinking and approach. It's the sort of rare insight we as fans get to see, and it was reassuring that someone who wasn't managing at the top level was going to bring that forward thinking to a club like ours.

Because, let's be honest, the majority of us think - and know, from watching it - that managers like Slade are pretty one-dimensional.

At the time, and in the context of what we were witnessing, Jolley represented some innovative approach that we'd all been craving for some time.

I appreciate your point, though - it does seem like some are treating him like the messiah, but it's not often we can indulge in a bit of over-the-top euphoria. I think we all realise that Jolley and his coaching staff have potential but, at the same time, they are still relatively unexposed...

...but why hold back on the optimism?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 4:45pm

Exile
and right on cue Ipswin appears!
always good to have a dissenter in the ranks, so for the record Jolley got us 15 points from 10 games which equates to  69 points in a season which has you up there near the play off places.
This from a standing start with a team who's previous 22 games had yielded the same 15 points. It seems obvious that they were desperately unfit, demoralised, disorganised and heading for relegation. we eventually finished 18th, 5 points clear of relegation. I don't know how many more player interviews you need to watch read or hear for you to appreciate the changes & improvements he's made
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
Spidey
June 11, 2018, 5:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 4
Let's also remember, that sometimes things take time to develop. So if things don't go to plan in the first few months, just be optimistic as I'm sure in the long run exciting things may be happening to our football club in the future. But of course, hopefully we may hit the ground running!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Garth
June 11, 2018, 5:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

I think Ipswin makes some good sensible points, and its always good to have an alternative point of view, one green tick from me.

Of course we all want to see the club build and move in an upwards direction, Christ we deserve some success after the Slade depression period.

But the facts are: we are managed by a relative inexperienced manager that was an improvement from Slade. who has chosen a guy with a no win track record of Slade and Woody to assist him.

We shall see time will tell, but don`t knock Ipswin or myself for having a more cautious attitude to events
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
Townee82
June 11, 2018, 5:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
I'd like us to create a anfield style boot room because if this all takes off as it appears to be the big boys will be coming calling poaching .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
Ipswin
June 11, 2018, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
always good to have a dissenter in the ranks, so for the record Jolley got us 15 points from 10 games which equates to  69 points in a season which has you up there near the play off places.
This from a standing start with a team who's previous 22 games had yielded the same 15 points. It seems obvious that they were desperately unfit, demoralised, disorganised and heading for relegation. we eventually finished 18th, 5 points clear of relegation. I don't know how many more player interviews you need to watch read or hear for you to appreciate the changes & improvements he's made

If he gets us 69 points next season I'll be absolutely delighted and will kiss he bottom like everyone else

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
Ipswin
June 11, 2018, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Townee82
if this all takes off as it appears to be the big boys will be coming calling poaching .

Oh pleeease, optimism maybe but blind stupidity....

What makes you think it's all taking off?

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
Northbank Mariner
June 11, 2018, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Hard to ignore the fact that Anthony worked with the Southampton academy which is lauded over by plenty of top critics and journalists as being one of the best in the country...I'd say that must bring some quality into the backroom staff alone....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
Lincoln Mariner 56
June 11, 2018, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
I take your point Ipswin that promise and expectation are not results and ultimately it’s points that make prizes.

From my perspective MJ”s approach to his role, communications/PR & style of play will buy him time should performances not meet expectations in the short term and will stay in place if fans continue to believe in his approach. Looking back to Buckley’s first season in charge results were not great but you could see how he wanted us to play but lacked pieces for his jigsaw until Cunnington and Gilbert arrived.

Something similar with a nice little cup run will be acceptable in season one with hopefully at least a play off by year 2. Personally hope we can achieve more quicker but my main hope is that the club gets back on track with board and supporters singing from the same hymn sheet and a good home record for once!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
KingstonMariner
June 11, 2018, 6:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

Adam Forrest's record - not bad times! always thought that players running styles could be improved to make them faster and more efficient.He'd be the man to do it!

What’s JT800?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
crusty ole pie
June 11, 2018, 6:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm here and I complained to myself about half an hour ago when I read the announcement

No point in posting on here as I will only get slaughtered by every fornicator who has blind faith in MJ and everything he does.

What I can't grasp is why? He kept us up fair enough but other than that why the hero worship and why the over the top optimism

I looked back to the posts when we were first looking for a manager As soon as Jolley's name was mentioned every twit was immediately rooting for him despite the fact that all we knew in the first few days was that he was an ex-financial trader and he'd just left a job in Sweden after being relegated. Why I can't work out.

I think its a bit like Southgate and England, he has somehow persuaded everyone its going to be different and I suspect that even if he loses all three group games there will be a groundswell of 'give him a bit longer' or 'give him an other chance' or 'lets see what he does in the Euros'

I am afraid that, God forbid and I don't think it likely but, if we are relegated under Jolley he will still keep his job on the basis of 'he's trying to build something'

Please note, before any sodomist starts, I have said I do not expect us to be relegated but if we are, or if we have another 'Slade-type' season stuck in the bottom end of the table (which everyone moaned about last season) will he still be the Messiah and will he keep his job whatever

Ffs you must be flipping joyful to live with isn’t part of being a fan getting a twinge of preseason excitement
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
KingstonMariner
June 11, 2018, 6:31pm
Meths Drinker
Welcome to the two new guys.

It’s great to see a fresh approach being adopted. I know it’s always a risk when you change things but happy to see us give it a go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
MuddyWaters
June 11, 2018, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Just picked up the news as I’m a few time zones away, happy with the quality of the appointments but it’s now up to the board to back the management with signings worthy of the coaching. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
Tommy
June 11, 2018, 6:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Also interesting to note that Limbrick is due to compete his UEFA Pro Licence this month.

So assuming he passes we'll have a Manager and Assistant Manager both with the Pro Licence.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
sam gy
June 11, 2018, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Hey Ipswin, I know supporting a team like GTFC is, in reality, hardly ever fun in terms of results and overall success. But you know what is fun? Optimism, believing something cool could happen, getting behind good decisions and apparent momentum....

You should try it sometime.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 80
grimsby pete
June 11, 2018, 7:37pm

Exile
I first met Swin Ipswin a few years ago and find him a really nice and funny guy,

We sit next to each other at games down here and I enjoy his company,

We have different views on things as I think Jolley will get us promoted this season and next as well,

Buckley did get us back to back promotions so why cant Jolley ?

Ipswin will be happy if we finish mid table and would not be too bothered if we got relegated because as he told me " we will win more games "

Thats the joy of supporting our team we all have the same love but different expectations .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 80
golfer
June 11, 2018, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from forza ivano

Richard  Duckworth also thought that running styles could make players faster-he improved my sprint times remarkably,so let's hope Adam's plans work. A good signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
Superdan147
June 11, 2018, 8:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Look very good appointments but proof will be in the pudding! Wasn’t that long ago that Limbrick was being touted as the number 1 after slade was sacked so good to see him here as an assistant. Was actually doing very well at woking in the first 20 games or so, near the top of the league and playing some excellent football according to their fans. Also had a little run in the fa cup beating league one bury in the process.

The downturn in results certainly coincided with Woking losing their best 3 players (effiiong went to Scotland, joe ward went to Peterborough and Charles Cook had his loan ended) . Things didn’t improve after he was sacked and they got relegated.

He’s clesrly highly rated in the game, working at Southampton and West Ham and even a brief spell with England u17s shows just how well thought of he is so it certainly looks an exciting appointment.

One last thought, I’d be very surprised if we don’t look at a couple of current/ex Woking players who did well under Limbrick. Josh Staunton is a very highly rated young versatile defender who joined Woking last summer after previously helping Dagenham into the play offs the season before. A Zak Mills replacement? Secondly, Charlie carter is a goal scoring midfielder who’s out of contract. Scored 12 goals last year, only early 20s and again highly thought of. Finally there is joe ward. A left winger who’s now at Peterborough after doing very well at Woking and earnt a January move. This one seems unlikely as he’s seemingly in Steve Evans plans but possibly one for a future loan deal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 8:38pm

Exile
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What’s JT800?

800 gramme javelin throw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
RonMariner
June 11, 2018, 8:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Ipswin will be happy if we finish mid table and would not be too bothered if we got relegated because as he told me " we will win more games "

Paradise Lost, by Milton:-

Satan, formerly called Lucifer, is the first major character introduced in the poem. He was once the most beautiful of all angels, and is a tragic figure who famously declares: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 11, 2018, 9:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sam gy
Hey Ipswin, I know managing a team like GTFC is, in reality, hardly ever fun in terms of results and overall success. But you know what is fun? Optimism, believing something cool could happen, getting behind good decisions and apparent momentum....

You maybe need to look up the definitions of optimism and euphoria Sam.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
Grim74
June 11, 2018, 9:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Pleased with the appointment well done Fenty, I just wonder do we really need another coach, Will this not reduce the team budget?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
Stew0_0
June 11, 2018, 9:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
2 excellent signings on paper and think that we have replaced Wilko with a highly qualified assistant with fresh practices and coaching / training methods. The appointment of Forrest will bring greater coaching, fitness qualities but also see the pair embrace the match analysis and footage that was produced by the guy that went back to London.
Basically we have replaced 2 departures with 2 new guys that should help us move forward and give great assistance to Jolley.
Onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 11, 2018, 10:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
If he gets us 69 points next season I'll be absolutely delighted and will kiss he bottom like everyone else

But what about the hot dog

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 11, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
but lacked pieces for his jigsaw until Cunnington and Gilbert arrived

Cunnington was already here

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
Youngy
June 11, 2018, 11:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Ipswin

I do actually understand your point about the over optimism but you don't seem to support him full stop. Why is that? Because you wanted Paul Harsley?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
ginnywings
June 11, 2018, 11:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
I'm going to have to renew my season ticket now by the look of it.

At last, the club arrives in the 21st century, 18 years behind everyone else. These two look to have a good knowledge base and are keen to succeed. I think Jolley is just one of those people who can make you believe in him and what he is trying to do. If it is indeed true that better jobs were overlooked elsewhere, MJ must have really sold the club to them. There is much talk of the future direction of the club, and I'm hopeful that these guys stick around for a while and get us moving up the leagues.

You can keep the chavvy Essex boys up the a46.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
KingstonMariner
June 11, 2018, 11:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

800 gramme javelin throw

Cheers.

9.14 metres? I think I could beat that.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
forza ivano
June 12, 2018, 12:13am

Exile
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Cheers.

9.14 metres? I think I could beat that.  

Had probably just done it to get a couple of points for his team in a league match. I've had kids finish a middle dinstance race and then warmed down by jogging to the discus cage , slug down a bit of water, throw the discus out the cage and then jogged back to the team, before doing the 4 X 400m relay 40 minutes later!
The joy of league athletics!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
Meza
June 12, 2018, 12:25am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
interesting that Limerick joins us, he's one of the managers i'd have liked before we appointed RS.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
forza ivano
June 12, 2018, 7:45am

Exile
2 other point.Limbrick is southern based so will have good knowledge of the regions academy rejects and non league gems. He also has the potential to step up once mj leaves ( hopefully not for many years)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
Davec
June 12, 2018, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Been talking to a Woking fan I know and he said its a brilliant appointment for us, he likes fast attacking free flowing football which probably came at a disadvantage for him in the end because when they lost their best players the replacements weren't up to scratch and certainly weren't up to playing that kind of football, he said the first 15 games of the season when they were 3rd was outstanding but he probably showed his lack of experience a bit by not changing the style of play when the best players left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
Hey Ipswin, I know supporting a team like GTFC is, in reality, hardly ever fun in terms of results and overall success. But you know what is fun? Optimism, believing something cool could happen, getting behind good decisions and apparent momentum....

It is 60 years this December since I first saw Town and got addicted.

I have therefore had 60 years of optimism, at least 50 of which have proved false and just shattered dreams

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 7:57am
Vodka Drinker

But what about the hot dog

No that was some other daft buggers (unfullfilled) promise or do you mean the hot dog will be up MJ's bottom?

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 8:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Youngy

I do actually understand your point about the over optimism but you don't seem to support him full stop. Why is that? Because you wanted Paul Harsley?

Not necessarily although of the two I wanted Harsley

I didn't want some totally unknown inexperienced man at all and I still don't understand, given the position we were in when he arrived, why everyone was getting so excited about him as soon as his name was mentioned when no one knew anything about him, wierd.

And its not that I don't support him, I will 'support' whatever that means, every GTFC manager - yes even Slade and Newell - but I don't believe he will prove to be the great new style Messiah that everyone else does. I hope I'm wrong of course but it's all too much too quickly. Unless he gets a few older heads in the side I can see us getting taken apart on the pitch next season and that worries me

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
Ipswin
June 12, 2018, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Ffs you must be flipping joyful to live with isn’t part of being a fan getting a twinge of preseason excitement

Of course but I prefer not to go creaming my jeans like a kid all the time like some. If you have supported GTFC for more than five minutes you will know that optimism is more often than not misplaced.

There's pre-season excitement and total stupidity, bet you are impossible to live with too as Christmas and Santa approaches

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 12, 2018, 9:23am
Brandy Drinker
Sounds like you have about 10 years on me Swin.
But all Town fans have experienced the same as you!.  You are no different from the rest of us.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
marinerrick
June 12, 2018, 10:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
All I know is its an exciting time to be a gtfc fan. However there are going to be a lot of players/staff left at the bottom of the barrel come season opener as we seem to buying now not when barrel nearly empty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
Mariner93er
June 12, 2018, 10:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
If i couldnt allow myself to get excited, whether misplaced or not, i dont think I could carry on supporting grimsby. Its all apart of the emotional rollercoaster that makes being a football fan so enjoyable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
oldun
June 12, 2018, 10:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A brave new world of the new generation with modern systems and ideas running the show. We have left the dinosaurs behind, let's hope we can show league 2 what we are about. Will be interesting if nothing else and probably younger players will buy into it and play the modern way. Mini Spurs will do for me. Just need the next Harry Cane up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
rancido
June 12, 2018, 11:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

The thing about Jolley is that he is part of the modern way of coaching football teams in the use of analysis, sports science, psychology and dietary requirements.

The thing about Jolley is that he is part of the new approach to football coaching. He recognises the importance of sports science, psychology, dietary and fitness regimes and detailed analysis. Football coaching has moved on a considerable amount in the last 10 years and he represents the new, analytical approach.
Your mention of Southgate I think is unfair because he again represents the modern approach. Southgate represents continuity in England coaching having previously coached the young and up and coming England players. Preparing coaches by using them with the " young Lions" so that a coach can become the senior England coach is an approach that the FA should have adopted a long time ago. A conveyor belt of able coaches coming through the FA system is the most sensible approach to producing a successful England team which ultimately is good for English football at all levels. It maybe more difficult to replicate at club level although Liverpool demonstrated in the 60's, 70's and 80's that promoting from the " boot room" was the way forward.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
TheGoalKipper
June 12, 2018, 11:08am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
i'm very happy with the new coaching team and while i think the new signings will do a good job for us i am under no illusions that the players we have signed so far are not going to turn us into a promotion team. There needs to be some proven quality signned before the new season kicks off to make this a good L2 team. Some of our younger players will hopefully improve but there is a lot to do still.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
grimsby pete
June 12, 2018, 11:15am

Exile
Quoted from Grim74
Pleased with the appointment well done Fenty, I just wonder do we really need another coach, Will this not reduce the team budget?

I think he is here to replace the young man who was the science and fitness coach Grim,

So not taking any money from the players budget.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
Cloudy
June 12, 2018, 12:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from TheGoalKipper
i'm very happy with the new coaching team and while i think the new signings will do a good job for us i am under no illusions that the players we have signed so far are not going to turn us into a promotion team. There needs to be some proven quality signned before the new season kicks off to make this a good L2 team. Some of our younger players will hopefully improve but there is a lot to do still.

Totally agree. Hoping that we get a couple of proven quality players for this level, especially a striker
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Skrill
June 12, 2018, 12:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
I tipped Anthony Limbrick as a possible new manager, as a assistant alongside Jolley decent

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
forza ivano
June 12, 2018, 5:15pm

Exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
rancido
June 12, 2018, 5:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Totally agree. Hoping that we get a couple of proven quality players for this level, especially a striker

Well Omar Bogle wasn't a proven striker at the level we were playing but he helped to get us promoted back into the football league.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
The Yard Dog
June 12, 2018, 8:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from rancido

Well Omar Bogle wasn't a proven striker at the level we were playing but he helped to get us promoted back into the football league.

Bogle to score first and Grimsby to win 3-1 was a nice little earner for me at 75-1, thanks to Arnold goal at the end, I was going mental for two reasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
acko338
June 12, 2018, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
I hope that we can now move away from the journeymen loanees that we have been plagued with in recent seasons.

If the new management team can encourage young up and coming players to have a chance at league football like Max and Harry, then this year's reserve side could have genuine chances to be fringe squad players this year, cup competition players, and then becoming contenders next year - a PLAN,  one that will look at development of players over more than one season, perhaps a way of moving into selling players for fees like Southampton have done over several years to good effect !

From previous locations worked within the new team, there could also be a ready made list of known lower league players hoping to become the next Vardy !

Not looking for instant miracles, but hoping for a better, fitter style of playing by players wanting to be here - results will then follow !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
rancido
June 13, 2018, 1:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
I've just heard part of an interview with Anthony Limbrick on Radio Humberside. He said it was important to be part of the culture and society of Grimsby and would be re-locating from London to Grimsby within the next two or three weeks. Another positive move in hopefully the new direction that GTFC is taking.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
Ipswin
June 13, 2018, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido
I've just heard part of an interview with Anthony Limbrick on Radio Humberside. He said it was important to be part of the culture and society of Grimsby and would be re-locating from London to Grimsby within the next two or three weeks. Another positive move in hopefully the new direction that GTFC is taking.

That's very encouraging incidentally in his press conference yesterday Hurst said he would not be moving his family to Ipswich

Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
Maringer
June 13, 2018, 3:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from rancido
I've just heard part of an interview with Anthony Limbrick on Radio Humberside. He said it was important to be part of the culture and society of Grimsby...

I'd imagine he'll be able to pick up a terrace for a song in the East Marsh. Good luck with the culture and society, Anthony!  

(Yes, I know a few bad-uns ruin it for the ordinary folk - I don't believe everything you read in the GET)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2018, 1:13am
Meths Drinker
Never mind what he'll be able to buy, the fact he'll be able to buy a house will be amazing to him  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 80
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.