Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 284 Guests

NEW ASSISTANT!

This thread currently has 15,588 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
June 11, 2018, 3:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Maringer

Bit harsh, Pete. They are probably lovely blokes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
grimsby pete
June 11, 2018, 4:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer

Bit harsh, Pete. They are probably lovely blokes.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
RichMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
What encourages me most about this management team is that if you're a young player looking to rebuild your career in football after being released by a top club, you might - if you've done your homework - consider Grimsby above other teams based on Jolley et al being committed to coaching and developing young players.

You could go to, I dunno, Oldham - where Sheridan will chuck mud at a wall and hope some of it sticks - or you could sign for the Mariners where highly qualified coaches will give you a chance and try and make you the best you can be. No offence to Sheridan - might be me being lazy - but his track record suggests he won't be there to help you develop beyond one season.

It's literally the total opposite of what Russell Slade was doing. He didn't seem interested in developing anyone; if you looked rubbish after three games, you were benched, dropped from the squad altogether and replaced by a loan signing.

I'm not going to get carried away and say we're going to finish in the play-offs next season. In many ways, that's secondary. What I'm looking forward to is a new team made up of Jolley's players, playing Jolley's way, and watching them build on-field partnerships - and, coupled with more off-field events, build stronger relationships with the fans.

If we get that bit right, then good times on the pitch (and ultimately promotion) will surely follow.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
fishyfanny
June 11, 2018, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Welcome to the new assistants, things are starting to shape up nicely.

But GTFC, can you please ask someone to proof read your Club Statements, before you post them? It looks very amateurish.

Quote -' Manager, Michael Jolley has spoke to us about his new assistant and has spoke of his joy at securing Anthony's services'

It should be SPOKEN not spoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
Cloudy
June 11, 2018, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Tommy

Very good article. Suggests a young hungry team who will play at a high tempo with Gump getting them as fit as a fiddle.

New ways, new era but how long before someone complains about a lack of experience
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 4:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Cloudy

Very good article. Suggests a young hungry team who will play at a high tempo with Gump getting them as fit as a fiddle.

New ways, new era but how long before someone complains about a lack of experience[b][/b]

where's Ipswin when you need him?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
RonMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from fishyfanny
Welcome to the new assistants, things are starting to shape up nicely.

But GTFC, can you please ask someone to proof read your Club Statements, before you post them? It looks very amateurish.

Quote -' Manager, Michael Jolley has spoke to us about his new assistant and has spoke of his joy at securing Anthony's services'

It should be SPOKEN not spoke.

Spelling not brilliant either!

'Michael Jolley has spoke about his new recuit and believes it to be a real coup for the club.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
Ipswin
June 11, 2018, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from forza ivano

where's Ipswin when you need him?

I'm here and I complained to myself about half an hour ago when I read the announcement

No point in posting on here as I will only get slaughtered by every fornicator who has blind faith in MJ and everything he does.

What I can't grasp is why? He kept us up fair enough but other than that why the hero worship and why the over the top optimism

I looked back to the posts when we were first looking for a manager As soon as Jolley's name was mentioned every twit was immediately rooting for him despite the fact that all we knew in the first few days was that he was an ex-financial trader and he'd just left a job in Sweden after being relegated. Why I can't work out.

I think its a bit like Southgate and England, he has somehow persuaded everyone its going to be different and I suspect that even if he loses all three group games there will be a groundswell of 'give him a bit longer' or 'give him an other chance' or 'lets see what he does in the Euros'

I am afraid that, God forbid and I don't think it likely but, if we are relegated under Jolley he will still keep his job on the basis of 'he's trying to build something'

Please note, before any sodomist starts, I have said I do not expect us to be relegated but if we are, or if we have another 'Slade-type' season stuck in the bottom end of the table (which everyone moaned about last season) will he still be the Messiah and will he keep his job whatever

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
RichMariner
June 11, 2018, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I think there were a couple of videos floating around online before he was appointed in which Jolley demonstrated his tactical thinking and approach. It's the sort of rare insight we as fans get to see, and it was reassuring that someone who wasn't managing at the top level was going to bring that forward thinking to a club like ours.

Because, let's be honest, the majority of us think - and know, from watching it - that managers like Slade are pretty one-dimensional.

At the time, and in the context of what we were witnessing, Jolley represented some innovative approach that we'd all been craving for some time.

I appreciate your point, though - it does seem like some are treating him like the messiah, but it's not often we can indulge in a bit of over-the-top euphoria. I think we all realise that Jolley and his coaching staff have potential but, at the same time, they are still relatively unexposed...

...but why hold back on the optimism?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
forza ivano
June 11, 2018, 4:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
and right on cue Ipswin appears!
always good to have a dissenter in the ranks, so for the record Jolley got us 15 points from 10 games which equates to  69 points in a season which has you up there near the play off places.
This from a standing start with a team who's previous 22 games had yielded the same 15 points. It seems obvious that they were desperately unfit, demoralised, disorganised and heading for relegation. we eventually finished 18th, 5 points clear of relegation. I don't know how many more player interviews you need to watch read or hear for you to appreciate the changes & improvements he's made
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW ASSISTANT!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.