9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
April 12, 2018, 11:46am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Lincoln did that to some extent by splashing out on Bostwick. Reportedly on a ton of money but he's been a revelation for them this year and easily started to repay some of that money back. As people have pointed out before, why have 6 strikers of £800 p/w when you can have 3 on £1,600 p/w.  

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 83
1mickylyons
April 12, 2018, 11:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
If you take Macca as an example.Here you have a good League 2 keeper who is settled in the area and most of the fans like.Why would you not get him in now and put 2 offers in front of him depending on what league were playing next Season.If we go down we offer him 2 years and match his current wage if we stay up we offer him 2-3 years with a slight increase and bonus related extra`s.
What this does it sets a standard and it sends a message that this Club looks after it`s loyal servants.Anyone who read John McDermott`s book must have shook their head at the shameful goings on then Shaun Pearson last Season it really leaves a bitter taste we must be better than that.
The team that beat FGR was not the best team I have ever seen but it was one of the bravest and it was together.The way the Club allowed it all fall apart and vanish for the sake of a couple of quid was very disheartening to players and fans alike and what good did it do?

Please learn a lesson from that GTFC their is a type of player we the fans want and you the Club need.It looks like you might have got a Manager who realises this now flipping back him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 83
Cloudy
April 12, 2018, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
No doubt some of the present squad will go regardless of where we are next year but I think we should be more bothered who we could get as replacements. Personally I think quite a number of current players will be offered new terms in May, because if Jolley has any ability he will already have easily sussed out the weaknesses. He does not need a massive squad, but neither does he need the hassle of trying to fill the numbers with another journeyman player to make up for one he has just let go.

What he really needs is 3 or 4 players of proven ability for the spine of the team, especially for midfield and striker roles. We don't need "promising youngsters" or "experienced ex-prem"  players for key roles, we need good players who will immediately make a big difference.They would cost money, serious money, to attract to BP.

Youngsters and /or experienced ex prem players may be good players too  
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 83
arryarryarry
April 12, 2018, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
No doubt some of the present squad will go regardless of where we are next year but I think we should be more bothered who we could get as replacements. Personally I think quite a number of current players will be offered new terms in May, because if Jolley has any ability he will already have easily sussed out the weaknesses. He does not need a massive squad, but neither does he need the hassle of trying to fill the numbers with another journeyman player to make up for one he has just let go.

What he really needs is 3 or 4 players of proven ability for the spine of the team, especially for midfield and striker roles. We don't need "promising youngsters" or "experienced ex-prem"  players for key roles, we need good players who will immediately make a big difference.They would cost money, serious money, to attract to BP.

That rules out most of this season's squad.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 83
wiggers
April 12, 2018, 6:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11

Our best players from recent past have all come from non league in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 12, 2018, 7:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cloudy

Youngsters and /or experienced ex prem players may be good players too  

Quite so, but youngsters are inconsistent and need help, old players can be great like Futcher but it’s a risk. We need 3 or 4 players to build on. No passengers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 83
Cloudy
April 12, 2018, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Quite so, but youngsters are inconsistent and need help, old players can be great like Futcher but it’s a risk. We need 3 or 4 players to build on. No passengers.

You referred to experience NOT old. Significant difference in my vocabulary. You can have a 25 year old who has plenty of games under his belt, plenty of experience and legs.

My main point is that we need decent players with huge desire whether they are 18 or 35, don't rule anyone in or anyone out because of age
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 83
forza ivano
April 12, 2018, 8:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from wiggers

Our best players from recent past have all come from non league in my opinion.

Podge? Danny andrew? Connor townsend? Craig disley?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 83
davmariner
April 13, 2018, 12:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,924
Gold Stars: 79
Wow on the back of one win, having not won for twenty odd games we’re dishing out contracts willy nilly. Let’s retain some perspective. If we keep the core of this team next season, asumming that we stay up, we’ll go down next season.

I’d keep:

McKeown
Reece Hall-Johnson
Dembele (so we can sell him)
Fox
Clifton

As far as I’m concerned, the rest can go. Those under contract, Hooper, Rose, Kelly, Dixon should be told that they’re free to leave.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 83
SheepGTFC
April 13, 2018, 2:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 6
IIRC McKeown has a 1 year extension option in his contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.