9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
April 11, 2018, 8:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Can’t imagine many will get kept on regardless of what division we are in.  

I’d like to see Mills and Mckeown tied up early. Plenty of years left in the both of them. I like Mills and I think he could still improve further. He’s the sort of player that could rack 2-300 appearances for us and won’t let us down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 83
Davec
April 11, 2018, 8:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Players I would keep would be
Macca

Collins as cover, dependant on wages as we may be able to find better/younger for cheaper.

Mills, although we may find better, I think he's more than capable of holding his own, maybe even in centre back aswell.

Reece Hall Johnson I would be tempted to keep as he should be cheap and he's versatile

Andrew Fox should be cheap and versatile.

Summerfield, he's an adequate back up I'm sure

Clifton, capable player, local so he will help us fulfill the EFL requirement of atleast 1 home grown player in the matchday 18 squad.

Wright, doing very well at Scarborough and will also help us fulfill the home grown player rule

Dembele, who knows what is happening with his contract.

Everybody else can go, as for the players already under contract, need to try and offload them all if we can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 83
golfer
April 11, 2018, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
We have to keep those on 2 year contracts unless we can find some way of getting rid.  Those I would "WANT" to keep are  Macca,Mills,Fox,Summerfield and Dembele. Full Stop. Rid of the rest plus Wilko and The Board
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 83
forza ivano
April 11, 2018, 9:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
wouldn't collins fall foul of Jolley's '1 hour rule'? (unless an honourable exception is made in his case?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 83
Bignic69
April 11, 2018, 9:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Davec
Macca

Collins as cover, dependant on wages as we may be able to find better/younger for cheaper.

Mills, although we may find better, I think he's more than capable of holding his own, maybe even in centre back aswell.

Reece Hall Johnson I would be tempted to keep as he should be cheap and he's versatile

Clifton, capable player, local so he will help us fulfill the EFL requirement of atleast 1 home grown player in the matchday 18 squad.

Wright, doing very well at Scarborough and will also help us fulfill the home grown player rule

Everybody else can go, as for the players already under contract, need to try and offload them all if we can.

Agree with this, I think Mills could be a good centre half. Good defender, not very good in the final 3rd

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 83
cmackenzie4
April 11, 2018, 9:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Can’t imagine many will get kept on regardless of what division we are in.  

I’d like to see Mills and Mckeown tied up early. Plenty of years left in the both of them. I like Mills and I think he could still improve further. He’s the sort of player that could rack 2-300 appearances for us and won’t let us down.

Totally agree about Mills, he’s one of our better players, Macca, Mills and Dembele would be a good start.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 83
headingly_mariner
April 11, 2018, 9:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Totally agree about Mills, he’s one of our better players, Macca, Mills and Dembele would be a good start.

Agree about Dembele, but i am treating that as a 2 year contract. It will definitely be extended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2018, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Davec
Macca

"Should be cheap.." Are you Fenty in disguise?

If they are good enough for a promotion chasing squad (which I assume will be the aim) then cheap shouldn't come into it. This mindset must change in my opinion - players who are good enough will be offered better elsewhere if we don't pay the going rate for the better players.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 83
topuphere666
April 11, 2018, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Given the amount of players we’ll have on the first day of training we should enter the Futsal league instead  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 83
jimgtfc
April 11, 2018, 12:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,068
Gold Stars: 44
Ok so for what it’s worth and with my football manager hat on this is what I would do IF we manage to hang on to our league status.

Goalkeepers

Jake Kean- return to parent club
Ben Killip- offer new one year contract, decent young back up keeper.
James McKeown- offer new 2 year deal. Has improved this season and with a better back 4 in front should concede less.

Defenders      

Danny Collins - release
Nathan Clarke - release
Ben Davies - release
Paul Dixon - transfer list
Andrew Fox - offer new one year deal, proved to be capable enough at L2 level
Reece Hall-Johnson - offer one year deal with option for second year, potential and versatility
Jack Keeble - release
Zak Mills - new 2 year deal deal. Good right back and can cover centre half, could be developed in this position in my opinion.
Karleigh Osborne - release
Easah Suliman - return to parent club

Midfielders                  
James Berrett - release
Chris Clements - release
Harry Clifton - one year deal with option for second year.
Sean McAllister - release
Mitch Rose - already contracted
Tom Sawyer - release
Luke Summerfield - new one year deal, been one of our better players

Wingers

Siriki Dembele - take up optional year on deal
Diallang Jaiyesimi - return to parent club
Sam Kelly - transfer list
Gary McSheffrey - release  
Martyn Woolford - release
Max Wright - new one year deal with option for second year

Forwards  

Harry Cardwell - already contracted
JJ Hooper - transfer list
Simeon Jackson - return to parent club
Jamille Matt - return to parent club
Ahkeem Rose - release if work permit issue is still unresolved
Charles Vernam - attempt to sign, either loan or permanent
Scott Vernon - release
Mallik Wilks - return to parent club

This would leave us with 14 professionals at the club if the players offered new deals opted to stay and if Vernam signed, 3 of those on the transfer list. Hopefully there will be 2 or 3 youth team lads who will be offered pro contracts as well.

I then think we’ll need 3 centre halves, possible cover at left back, 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers and 2 strikers.

That’s my rough workings out anyway.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.