9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
hheh2
April 11, 2018, 12:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Interested to see how effective Jolley is with transfers it is clear we need some better players for next season

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 83
forza ivano
April 11, 2018, 2:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jimgtfc
Ok so for what it’s worth and with my football manager hat on this is what I would do IF we manage to hang on to our league status.

Goalkeepers

Jake Kean- return to parent club
Ben Killip- offer new one year contract, decent young back up keeper.
James McKeown- offer new 2 year deal. Has improved this season and with a better back 4 in front should concede less.

Defenders      

Danny Collins - release
Nathan Clarke - release
Ben Davies - release
Paul Dixon - transfer list
Andrew Fox - offer new one year deal, proved to be capable enough at L2 level
Reece Hall-Johnson - offer one year deal with option for second year, potential and versatility
Jack Keeble - release
Zak Mills - new 2 year deal deal. Good right back and can cover centre half, could be developed in this position in my opinion.
Karleigh Osborne - release
Easah Suliman - return to parent club

Midfielders                  
James Berrett - release
Chris Clements - release
Harry Clifton - one year deal with option for second year.
Sean McAllister - release
Mitch Rose - already contracted
Tom Sawyer - release
Luke Summerfield - new one year deal, been one of our better players

Wingers

Siriki Dembele - take up optional year on deal
Diallang Jaiyesimi - return to parent club
Sam Kelly - transfer list
Gary McSheffrey - release  
Martyn Woolford - release
Max Wright - new one year deal with option for second year

Forwards  

Harry Cardwell - already contracted
JJ Hooper - transfer list
Simeon Jackson - return to parent club
Jamille Matt - return to parent club
Ahkeem Rose - release if work permit issue is still unresolved
Charles Vernam - attempt to sign, either loan or permanent
Scott Vernon - release
Mallik Wilks - return to parent club

This would leave us with 14 professionals at the club if the players offered new deals opted to stay and if Vernam signed, 3 of those on the transfer list. Hopefully there will be 2 or 3 youth team lads who will be offered pro contracts as well.

I then think we’ll need 3 centre halves, possible cover at left back, 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers and 2 strikers.

That’s my rough workings out anyway.

Can't disagree with much of that , although Hooper and Jackson's situations might change depending on their performances in next few weeks. Jolley has certainly spoken positively about both.
i haven't been able to find much info on the Burnley under 23 squads that he managed. From the little i've found Jason Gilchrist Southport's goalscoring machine is the most interesting, although Aiden O'Neill who's on loan at Fleetwood is described as a good passer and box-box midfielder.Tom Anderson is a central defender with plenty of league 1/2 experience, Josh Ginnelly is a winger whos been on loan at Tranmere
and Lincoln
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 83
Mariner_09
April 11, 2018, 2:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Going against the grain here but I wouldn’t be in the slightest bit bothered if Dembele left. He’s been chronic since Christmas. He plays like he doesn’t want to be here and talks like he doesn’t want to be here. I want a squad of 20-22 players who alll buy into Jolley’s philosophy and all understand what it means to play for Grimsby Town. I want them tight knit and have no passengers in the squad or the team. Dembele has been. Despite the penalty which bas altered others’ perception of him, Rose is still junk also. Need better than Collins and Davies who are going to be 38 and 37 respectively next season, might see if there’s a place in the backroom staff for Davies, looks like the sort of lad I’d want around. I’d be more inclined to keep RHJ than Mills. Young lad, more athleticism and a better delivery even at this stage of his career than Mills. Fox benefits from not being Dixon, still gets beaten far too easily by his winger, need better. McSheffrey has looked ok in the bits I’ve seen but too old again. Want young and hungry pros. McKeown obviously keep ans as a reserve keeper same with Killip. Might be a player in Cardwell but I’d do everything to ship out the rest  out so we can basically start with a new squad that will be much smaller. For me keep McKeown, RHJ, Summerfield and try and get Little V on a season long loan and release or try and ship out everything else with the possible exception of Cardwell.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 83
Grantley
April 11, 2018, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Surely if Dembele signs the contract extension then he wants to be here?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 83
topuphere666
April 11, 2018, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Grantley
Surely if Dembele signs the contract extension then he wants to be here?

He might not have a choice if we’ve triggered the extension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 83
sonofmadeleymariner
April 11, 2018, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
I would keep
Macca
Killip

Give Fox a chance over preseason
Hall-Johnson
Mills (but I think someone esle will snap him up)

Summerfield (after the season hes had he deserves to be given a chance with a decent midfield around him 1 year extension)
Demebele (we activated his one year extension apparently but could of been more Slade bullshit)
Clifton
Wright

Cardwell (couldn't hurt to give him a 1 year extension see if he develops)

Try and resign Vernam on another season loan

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 83
Rick12
April 11, 2018, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from monkeyboy

Barring  Dembele do any of them deserve a contract. Plus i was under the impression Dembele's extra year had been triggered.
The guy is our best player.

Will be here next year Iam not so sure.Even now could play league 1 and given time I think could do a job in the championship.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 83
Rick12
April 11, 2018, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mariner_09
Going against the grain here but I wouldn’t be in the slightest bit bothered if Dembele left. He’s been chronic since Christmas. He plays like he doesn’t want to be here and talks like he doesn’t want to be here. I want a squad of 20-22 players who alll buy into Jolley’s philosophy and all understand what it means to play for Grimsby Town. I want them tight knit and have no passengers in the squad or the team. Dembele has been.  McSheffrey has looked ok in the bits I’ve seen but too old again. Want young and hungry pros.
Dembele has quality in abundance for this level though and is our most naturally talented player.If Jolley can get the best from him is a real asset to have.I rate him very highly.

McSheffrey in the day was quality eg you just have to look at his cv to see he has done well in the game but his legs are catching up with him

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 83
SomeSanity
April 11, 2018, 3:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
It is clear to everyone that Dembele has had offers from teams higher up and has had his head turned. Trigger the extension and sell him. We then need to use ALL yes ALL of that cash to improve the squad. win win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 83
forza ivano
April 11, 2018, 3:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from SomeSanity
It is clear to everyone that Dembele has had offers from teams higher up and has had his head turned. Trigger the extension and sell him. We then need to use ALL yes ALL of that cash to improve the squad. win win.

nothing to do with his back injury and ongoing back spasms then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.