ginnywings
April 13, 2018, 11:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner_09
He plays football like he’s playing FIFA, he was exciting earlier in the season and was really effective during the autumn but once the going got tough and people doubled up on him he just hasn’t looked up for it. I think he’d prosper in a team with better players in it as he could start higher up the pitch and have greater trust in teammates’ ball playing skills.

Maybe that "better team" could be us next season? He's learning the game- you have to factor that in when assessing him. Ronaldo looked like Bambi on ice when he first appeared in a Man Utd shirt, all step overs and spindly legs. Dembele may develop into a fantastic player, he may not, but his erratic form is understandable at his age and with the amount of games he has under his belt. Think he's only made 20 odd appearances in his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 83
rancido
April 13, 2018, 4:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It is possible for Jolley to start next season with a virtually new team and be successful.  That is assuming that we stay up.   Cheltenham and Macclesfield (champions elect) both started seasons with new squads and were NL champions.  

Jolley's ability in recruitment is still unproven and he does not have a detailed knowledge of FL players.  However, he should be a lot better than Slade and so far he has generally shown good judgement regarding p;layers.  A bigger barrier is likely to be the Board being reluctant to pay good wages to attract the right quality players.

I would have thought that running Burnley's under 23 (?) squad for several seasons two years ago would have given him a good knowledge of the kind of players we are looking for. There will be quite a lot of players who although not deemed good enough for Premiersh*t or Championship teams would be more than capable of performing at league 1 or 2 level and need a chance to prove themselves.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 83
Garth
April 13, 2018, 5:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

It is a long time ago but Lawrie McMenemy came to BP inheriting a team that was virtually bottom of the old Div 4 that many fans thought was absolute crap including Matt Tees after the euphoria of his return,  and he took it to promotion with minimum additions. When he did add, it was quality like Lew Chatterley.

You may be right in your assessment of some of the players but we have not seen them train, we have never spoken to them at length. There is a desire amongst the fans for a completely fresh start, new manager, clean slate, new squad. But football does not work like that. It never has. If Jolley gets rid of 20 odd players then he needs to sign at least 13/14. Do we realistically believe he can find that number of "good" players (i.e. good in our eyes) on the budget he will have? Will every signing be better than all the players released?

That is why I think if he has any sense he will release a lot of players but not as many as perhaps some supporters would like, and look to spend his money on 3, 4 or maybe 5 players of obviously better quality than we have seen for several seasons - including a dominating centre back, a midfielder who can pass more than water, and a striker who can give the side some confidence that chances created will be taken.

It was only a few months ago that this team was holding its own just outside the playoffs, and it was due to bad management and board shenanigins putting the present team is where it is.
There has been an improvement since MJ took over and I would like to think that the players picked will use the remaining matches to play themselves into the managers mindset for next season, accepting of course that new key signings will have to be made

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2018, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Whatever league we are in next season and whatever budget we have I hope that MJ just gets his squad together early. "lastminute.com" has hurt us in the last couple of seasons.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
Bigdog
April 13, 2018, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Really impressed with three teenagers playing for injury hit Leeds tonight against Villa. Not quite ready for week in week out Championship football but Bailey Peacock-Farrell (GK), Tom Pearce (LB) and Paudie O'Connor (CB) would be just the sort of season long loans that would be perfect for Town next season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 9:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog
Really impressed with three teenagers playing for injury hit Leeds tonight against Villa. Not quite ready for week in week out Championship football but Bailey Peacock-Farrell (GK), Tom Pearce (LB) and Paudie O'Conner (CB) would be just the sort of season long loans that would be perfect for Town next season..

F*ck off! You've just made that name up or nicked it from a Douglas Adams book.

Besides, isn't Bailey a girl's name when it's not a a surname?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
KingstonMariner
April 13, 2018, 9:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Whatever league we are in next season and whatever budget we have I hope that MJ just gets his squad together early. "lastminute.com" has hurt us in the last couple of seasons.

Putting season tickets on sale early might help with that too. Gives the club some cash and a better idea of revenue.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2018, 10:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

F*ck off! You've just made that name up or nicked it from a Douglas Adams book.

Besides, isn't Bailey a girl's name when it's not a a surname?

He's got prospects. He's from Leeds!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
dapperz fun pub
April 15, 2018, 8:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Bigdog
Really impressed with three teenagers playing for injury hit Leeds tonight against Villa. Not quite ready for week in week out Championship football but Bailey Peacock-Farrell (GK), Tom Pearce (LB) and Paudie O'Connor (CB) would be just the sort of season long loans that would be perfect for Town next season..

I watched that game and all three look the part now I doubt very much they need a loan year away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
1mickylyons
April 16, 2018, 11:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mariner_09
He plays football like he’s playing FIFA, he was exciting earlier in the season and was really effective during the autumn but once the going got tough and people doubled up on him he just hasn’t looked up for it. I think he’d prosper in a team with better players in it as he could start higher up the pitch and have greater trust in teammates’ ball playing skills.

Players of the type of Dembele usually thrive in attacking teams with player`s of similar ability WTF has he had to work with?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.