Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quick browse shows only 5 players under contract

Dixon
Rose
Kelly
Cardwell
Hooper

Unfortunately I wouldn't keep any, maybe Hooper at a push as an option from the bench.
So I assume them 5 will be here next season.

Keepers:
Keep McKeown and Killip IMO

Defenders:
Not sure on Collins, he will be 38 in August
Davies will be 37 in May
Would be tempted to keep Hall-Johnson, Only 22
Keep Mills & Fox

Rest of the defenders can leave

Midfielders:
Keep Summerfield, I think he will benefit with a better CM alongside him
No idea what is happening with Dembele's contract...
Give Mcsheffrey another year? experience and set pieces
Give Wright & Clifton another year, think they will benefit having Jolley as a manager

Attackers:
Hooper & Cardwell under contract, rest can leave
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 83
Jarmo.Is.God
April 10, 2018, 11:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
In other words, Jolley should thank the players for the effort they have given since he joined, but majority just aren't good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 83
NorthseaMariner
April 10, 2018, 11:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I actually think there a player somewhere in Sam Kelly. He reminds me of a Paddy McLaughlin type-player. Good technically but struggles with the pace and physicality of the game. In the right system with the right balance of players around him I think he could be an asset.

I agree, he looks much better when playing in the middle, but lost out on the wings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 83
Yoda
April 10, 2018, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,972
Gold Stars: 65
I would keep Collins, Fox and Hall Johnson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 83
RoboCod
April 10, 2018, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I'd keep Collins, if we do stay up there's a huge debt to the guy for keeping things together at the back. No doubt that age is catching up with him but I feel with a calmer setup around him, and a forward line doing their job properly would see him through another season, I also wonder how he's set up for going into coaching as he looks to read the game exceptionally well.
Would like to see some sort of BP 'boot room' begin under MJ.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 83
petethemariner
April 10, 2018, 11:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I agree about Collins, might only be used as experienced cover, but I think he had shown he actually cares about the club, personally I would show Wilkinson the door because he has been a massive disappointment coaching wise and offer Collins a player/assistant manager role, whether he has coaching Qualifications  or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 83
Madeleymariner
April 10, 2018, 12:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I actually think there a player somewhere in Sam Kelly. He reminds me of a Paddy McLaughlin type-player. Good technically but struggles with the pace and physicality of the game. In the right system with the right balance of players around him I think he could be an asset.

2 years at Vale and a yearhere and never really 1st choice, waste of a wage he wont get better whoever he plays with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 83
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2018, 7:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from petethemariner
I agree about Collins, might only be used as experienced cover, but I think he had shown he actually cares about the club, personally I would show Wilkinson the door because he has been a massive disappointment coaching wise and offer Collins a player/assistant manager role, whether he has coaching Qualifications  or not.

Absolutely agree about Wilkinson a part of a golden era playing wise but not working  coaching wise , simply not good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 83
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 11, 2018, 8:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
God it's been a sh1t season hasn't it. What on earth was slade thinking getting some of that gash in. And I've only seen them play a handful of times!

Macca needs to be kept on. Very much in the same way that Pearson and Disley needed to be retained.

Are any of the players working towards their 'badges' that are worth keeping??

What I do expect though, is a higher quality player brought in, and hopefully, the earlier the better. Let's not spend yet another pre-season waiting to get everyone's castoff's because our one and only target has decided against joining

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 83
diehardmariner
April 11, 2018, 8:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
Collins as player-assistant manager/coach, really??

What's the obsession with any half decent player we have here coming to the end of his career that we feel obliged to make them part of the backroom staff?  For all we know he's no desire to remain in the game in a coaching capacity, nor the skills to do so successfully.  

Let Jolley bring in his own coaching staff who he knows have the skill-set for what he wants to deliver.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.