lukeo
April 13, 2018, 7:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Superdan147

Think your pretty much bang on with it. I think those plus maybe 10 quality additions would see us do well next year

Jim has it bang on for me to. Except maybe release killip and if the budget allows bring someone who's going to push Macca for a 1st team place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
Mariner_09
April 13, 2018, 9:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Why would anybody want Dembele? If we know we can get a good fee for him, the trigger the clause but if there’s any doubt I want him out, he acts like ge doesn’t want to be here and plays like he doesn’t want to be here. Keep Macca, RHJ and Summerfield and get rid of the rest. Maybe Davies could be retained as a player/coach, looks like the ideal sort of bloke you’d want round the training ground and desperate to get into coaching I have read.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
ginnywings
April 13, 2018, 9:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner_09
Why would anybody want Dembele? If we know we can get a good fee for him, the trigger the clause but if there’s any doubt I want him out, he acts like ge doesn’t want to be here and plays like he doesn’t want to be here. Keep Macca, RHJ and Summerfield and get rid of the rest. Maybe Davies could be retained as a player/coach, looks like the ideal sort of bloke you’d want round the training ground and desperate to get into coaching I have read.

Perhaps Dembele could go and play with Danny Andrew in the Mariner 09 sh1t eleven.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 13, 2018, 10:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from davmariner
Wow on the back of one win, having not won for twenty odd games we’re dishing out contracts willy nilly. Let’s retain some perspective. If we keep the core of this team next season, asumming that we stay up, we’ll go down next season.

I’d keep:

McKeown
Reece Hall-Johnson
Dembele (so we can sell him)
Fox
Clifton

As far as I’m concerned, the rest can go. Those under contract, Hooper, Rose, Kelly, Dixon should be told that they’re free to leave.

It is a long time ago but Lawrie McMenemy came to BP inheriting a team that was virtually bottom of the old Div 4 that many fans thought was absolute crap including Matt Tees after the euphoria of his return,  and he took it to promotion with minimum additions. When he did add, it was quality like Lew Chatterley.

You may be right in your assessment of some of the players but we have not seen them train, we have never spoken to them at length. There is a desire amongst the fans for a completely fresh start, new manager, clean slate, new squad. But football does not work like that. It never has. If Jolley gets rid of 20 odd players then he needs to sign at least 13/14. Do we realistically believe he can find that number of "good" players (i.e. good in our eyes) on the budget he will have? Will every signing be better than all the players released?

That is why I think if he has any sense he will release a lot of players but not as many as perhaps some supporters would like, and look to spend his money on 3, 4 or maybe 5 players of obviously better quality than we have seen for several seasons - including a dominating centre back, a midfielder who can pass more than water, and a striker who can give the side some confidence that chances created will be taken.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
jimgtfc
April 13, 2018, 10:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
I think some people lose sight of the fact that Dembele is still only 21 and won’t be 22 until September. Yeah maybe he has had his head turned or been poorly advised, and I don’t think that interview last month did him any favours, but we’ve all seen what he can do when he’s on form and also whilst playing in one of the worst town teams for maybe a decade. I think he’s got a lot of potential still, and if we just let him go then he goes on to play at a higher level there would be hell on here!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
TownSNAFU5
April 13, 2018, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
It is possible for Jolley to start next season with a virtually new team and be successful.  That is assuming that we stay up.   Cheltenham and Macclesfield (champions elect) both started seasons with new squads and were NL champions.  

Jolley's ability in recruitment is still unproven and he does not have a detailed knowledge of FL players.  However, he should be a lot better than Slade and so far he has generally shown good judgement regarding p;layers.  A bigger barrier is likely to be the Board being reluctant to pay good wages to attract the right quality players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
Abdul19
April 13, 2018, 11:10am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from 3351[b
]I think some people lose sight of the fact that Dembele is still only 21 and won’t be 22 until September. [/b]Yeah maybe he has had his head turned or been poorly advised, and I don’t think that interview last month did him any favours, but we’ve all seen what he can do when he’s on form and also whilst playing in one of the worst town teams for maybe a decade. I think he’s got a lot of potential still, and if we just let him go then he goes on to play at a higher level there would be hell on here!

Agreed, and it's his first season of pro football.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 13, 2018, 11:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It is possible for Jolley to start next season with a virtually new team and be successful.  That is assuming that we stay up.   Cheltenham and Macclesfield (champions elect) both started seasons with new squads and were NL champions.  

Jolley's ability in recruitment is still unproven and he does not have a detailed knowledge of FL players.  However, he should be a lot better than Slade and so far he has generally shown good judgement regarding p;layers.  A bigger barrier is likely to be the Board being reluctant to pay good wages to attract the right quality players.

Oh yes, I'm not saying it isn't possible. He could get rid of the lot and make a totally new squad but like you say, it's a money business and the board sets the budget.

I'm just saying that if he did sack the lot he would have to spread his cash so thinly that the new players he picks up are not very likely to be better than we have already, even if he is a good picker. So look for fewer but better signings to spend the money on even if it means keeping more of the present squad than perhaps he would like in an ideal world.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
Mariner_09
April 13, 2018, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
He plays football like he’s playing FIFA, he was exciting earlier in the season and was really effective during the autumn but once the going got tough and people doubled up on him he just hasn’t looked up for it. I think he’d prosper in a team with better players in it as he could start higher up the pitch and have greater trust in teammates’ ball playing skills.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 13, 2018, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
He plays football like he’s playing FIFA, he was exciting earlier in the season and was really effective during the autumn but once the going got tough and people doubled up on him he just hasn’t looked up for it. I think he’d prosper in a team with better players in it as he could start higher up the pitch and have greater trust in teammates’ ball playing skills.

Which is what he was doing in September. His biggest fault you can see on video quite often is that he gets the ball, looks up, then decides he's marked so can't do anything with it, and then gives a sloppy pass, back or square to a player with exactly the same problem! He has to realise he is not there to clutter up the game by passing the ball into trouble, he's there to beat the defender from a standing start and so make space for his team mates by drawing other defenders. That is his job in the team. When he does that he looks a good player.

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.