KingstonMariner
April 7, 2018, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 123614
Bit strange that Ipswin hasn't posted today!

Very surprising.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
Mariner_09
April 7, 2018, 10:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We were absolutely battering them for about 10-15 mins at the start of the 2nd half. Game changed when he brought a man on to match up our men in midfield. We probably deserved to win on the balance of play but they did force 3 saves out of Macca in the 1st half but we never looked in any danger in the 2nd half once MJ changed it, apart from that offside when there were 2 men bearing down on goal with only Macca to beat.

Collins was immense, Summerfield his usual energetic self, really think we missed him. Macca was good when called upon, Fox was threatening going forward but got beaten far too easily far too often.

RHJ provided athleticism but isn’t a great footballer. Linked up well with Dembele but gave it away cheaply too often for my liking, hey I do have a tendency to not rate really good full backs at firsf though!!! Clarke looked commanding if a little disconcerting on occasions, ballooned the ball up the air a couple of times in dangerous positions. However, that was nothing compared with Summerfield’ near spectacular balls up when he headed it into his own box in the 1st half.

JJ worked hard and looked dangerous, definitely better than I’ve seen him before. Vernon held it up well and occupied the defenders, he’s quite clever when you watch him, he frees up space for other forwards. Dembele was our biggest threat, caused their left back no end of problems and his final ball was excellent a couple of times. DJ looked sharp when he came on, as did Cardwell.

Thought Woolford was excellent, looked after tha ball well, drove forward, looked quite quick and sharp. Rose was pretty good too. Got stuck in, hit his penalty with conviction considering the circumstances.

Overall, Jolley out thought Super Jack and the team out fought the Chesterfield players. Clearly 2 sides with little quality and a desperatley low amount of confidence but we won. Need a win next week to back it up which will more or less relegate Barnet. Chesterfield play FGR when we’re at Swindon too. Could be quite exciting.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
davmariner
April 7, 2018, 10:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,924
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from toontown

unfortunately Mills is the opposite - good defender but poor in the final 3rd

Agree. Sadly Mills can’t pass or cross which isn’t ideal for a full-back. He is a decent defender though. When you compare him to the likes of Magnay and Tait (who we had one level lower) he’s nowhere near.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
Tommy
April 7, 2018, 10:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So 3 hour drive home smiling for once!

Firstly I have not heard noise like that at BP in ages and ages, my god was it good to hear and see everybody behind the team. Behind a team that really put in a shift and showed real heart and determination. MJ might not be getting a tune out of them yet but he is certainly getting a work rate, grit and determination and the spirit and attitude looks much stronger than a few weeks ago.

Though Chesterfield had their moments in the first half forcing a great save from Macca I think at half time we'd been the better side getting in behind them a few times and when we could keep the ball and didn't hoof it it looked promising. The keeping the ball thing is still an issue for me and against better sides we'd have been punished for sure.

Shape change after half time, a Diamond with Woollford at the base? (need Tommy to help me with that one) changed the dynamic a little and for once got the mid field a bit further forward, I also liked the role it gave Woolford and that it allowed him to have an influence on the game rather than being out wide. I do think the players took time to get used to it but it was something different from MJ rather than just a change on 70 mins,    

So the goal came and on the law of averages based upon effort despite it being a soft pen I think Town deserved a break and the rub of the green, Up stepped Mitch Rose and slotted it home perfectly which he followed by an understated celebration, not!

For once the age of the Town side worked to our advantage as the experience of Collins, Clarke, Woolford and McSheffery enabled us to see the game out for a long overdue win.

Had stopped doing this but,

Macca - Great today very authoritative and an excellent save in the first half.
Reece HJ - What a find, did really well again today, we need to keep him, amazed he was a Slade signing?  
Foxy - Competent game, looking fitter week by week and if we stay up he stays for me.
Clarke - Much. much better clearly does not want to end his career with a relegatin.
Collins - As above but actually better than Clarke
Summers - Good game all round and his never say die spirit adds loads.
Rose - Possibly his best game for Town though he scares the sh1t out of me when he dwells on possession.
Dembelle - Looked dangerous once again and worked really hard
Woolford - Hos experience counted for a lot today especially when he went into the middle
Vernon - Put in a shift and worked hard off the ball
Hopper - I'm convinced there is a player in there and it feels like MJ is possibly unlocking it, if fit keep him in as he will get more confident and the who know's.

Cardwell - Gave them something to think about as he's different to Vernon
McSheffery - See above re the experience bit, he must have been some player in his pomp.  
DJ - A cameo but again added something else.

MOM - A few to choose from but for me Rose as after missing a sitter on Monday I reckon t took real balls to step up and take such an important pen, I have at times questioned his attitude but he won me back today.

Are we staying up? - "We go again" next week into another must win and then "we go again" at Swindon, then who knows? But today did us no harm whatsoever, well done MJ and the players.

UTM!  

BTW the trouble causers in the Main Stand need not bother next week, stay in the pub please lads as we don't want you at BP!

Think Grantley has nailed it in his post Herts.

In simplistic terms it was a 451 but in more detail Rose seemed to be screening in front of the back 4. So a 4-1-4-1. Certainly out of possession.
That said, there were a couple of occasions when Rose and Summerfield were both in the box (see the double chance in the 2nd half). I think in possession it was probably more of a flexible 3 between those two and Woolford. With Hooper (DJ) and Dembele (McSheffrey) trying to get high up the pitch quickly.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2018, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy

Think Grantley has nailed it in his post Herts.

In simplistic terms it was a 451 but in more detail Rose seemed to be screening in front of the back 4. So a 4-1-4-1. Certainly out of possession.
That said, there were a couple of occasions when Rose and Summerfield were both in the box (see the double chance in the 2nd half). I think in possession it was probably more of a flexible 3 between those two and Woolford. With Hooper (DJ) and Dembele (McSheffrey) trying to get high up the pitch quickly.

Thanks Tommy, though it was good to see MJ just doing something different I thought it took the players a bit of time to get used to it but could be one to bring out away from home if nothing else? Certainly allowed the mid field forward a bit more.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
Cloudy
April 7, 2018, 11:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Fantastic to get a win and the 3points against a woeful Chesterfield side.

We weren't great but what we did have was application and spirit, let's face it today was never going to be pretty.

What was the trouble in the Main Stand? Those who chose to sit there did so for a reason. Sadly we do have a moronic element that we need to rid ourselves of. They aren't football fans.

More important to focus on the players all of which looked up for it. The back four all played well and as others have mentioned the switch to three in the centre of midfield changed the game. Was it a penalty? Having seen it again I have to say I don't think so but but do I care? Do I buggery

Barnet will be up for it next week but with a good crowd backing us I think we can take a big stride towards staying up.

There also seemed to be a squabble in the Directors box in the 2nd half with one guy moved away? Anyone know what that was about? Upset to see JF hugging fans and celebrating. Don't forget he is a significant factor in us having to fight to get enough points to stay in the league. It should never ever have come to this
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
Heisenberg
April 7, 2018, 11:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Cloudy

We weren't great but what we did have was application and spirit, let's face it today was never going to be pretty.

What was the trouble in the Main Stand? Those who chose to sit there did so for a reason. Sadly we do have a moronic element that we need to rid ourselves of. They aren't football fans.

More important to focus on the players all of which looked up for it. The back four all played well and as others have mentioned the switch to three in the centre of midfield changed the game. Was it a penalty? Having seen it again I have to say I don't think so but but do I care? Do I buggery

Barnet will be up for it next week but with a good crowd backing us I think we can take a big stride towards staying up.

There also seemed to be a squabble in the Directors box in the 2nd half with one guy moved away? Anyone know what that was about? Upset to see JF hugging fans and celebrating. Don't forget he is a significant factor in us having to fight to get enough points to stay in the league. It should never ever have come to this

I was sat in the main stand near the Osmond End. Chesterfield had some morons. Why the police didn’t arrest or eject some of those w#nkers is beyond me, it was as clear as day who the troublemakers were, and they did nothing about it.

We have ours too, no doubt, but the main issue seemed to be Town fans fighting each other. Idiocy.

I saw a little kid crying as he was caught up in it, which is heart breaking really. There will be some families who probably won’t wont come back again. Not good.

This was a one-off for me. Back to the Upper or Pontoon for future games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2018, 12:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Cloudy

Surely it would have been his family/associates that were hugging him? Any impartial fan that hugs him needs certifying.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
KingstonMariner
April 8, 2018, 12:18am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
He looked to be signing autographs too according to some accounts.

For those sitting nearby: next time slip him a resignation letter  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
April 8, 2018, 12:21am
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Spot on with the post. But concerning the crowd, why do so many fans wait until we are down on our knees and threatened with relegation before they turn out in numbers ? Over 5,000 town fans there  and with that kind of support think how commercially viable we could be if it was repeated more during the season.

Honestly mate, as we've been a flipping shambles all season. I've paid for 23 league games this season and I've missed at least 8 of them. 5 or 6 on holiday, at least a couple of games where I simply couldn't stand any more kicking off and booting it out for a throw in deep in their half. Hopefully I'll never have to witness that again.
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.