9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
April 7, 2018, 8:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I suppose to keep things in perspective isn't a bad thing. It's still technically in other teams' hands, but let's enjoy the moment.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
toontown
April 7, 2018, 8:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Can't really argue with any of that but boy I am pleased I don't sit next you!! Let us have today.

Don't get me wrong the result is fantastic and i was cheering like a madman. Just the performances of individual players did not warrant some of the praise they was getting bearing in mind the team we are playing is so bad it is rooted to the bottom of the Football league and we never really looked like scoring.

I do think that we should hopefully have enough to drag ourselves over the line if we can avoid defeat to Barnet. i also think MJ has definitely improved us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
Pouton4ever
April 7, 2018, 8:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -244
Also I don't know if you use twitter but a lot of the players are tweeting and seem buzzing about the result. I know it's cliched players tweeting about the fans , but it suddenly feels like the love is back and I think that could change things dramatically.

*until we lose to Barnet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
AndyGTFC
April 7, 2018, 8:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +795
Gold Stars: 5
Almost forgot what it feels like to win! We got a bit of luck for a change with that penalty and what a feeling it was when it went in.

Was a poor game between two struggling sides although we did edge it. It did look like it was going to be another frustrating afternoon in front of goal but to be fair to these players, they do keep going and finally got rewarded for that today.

Certainly a great result to take into the Barnet game next Saturday so we should be well up for that now. One more win please lads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
GrimRob
April 7, 2018, 8:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I suppose to keep things in perspective isn't a bad thing. It's still technically in other teams' hands, but let's enjoy the moment.

I don't think it is. If we win our remaining games there is no way we can go down. In fact if we beat Barnet and win one other game you'd struggle to find a combination which would relegate us, not least because Barnet have to play Chesterfield. Three points against Barnet and we reach the Snooker Required stage where only a freak set of results would send us down.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 81
April 7, 2018, 8:45pm
Guest User
Bit strange that Ipswin hasn't posted today!
Reply: 45 - 81
TAGG
April 7, 2018, 9:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,965
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from rancido

Spot on with the post. But concerning the crowd, why do so many fans wait until we are down on our knees and threatened with relegation before they turn out in numbers ? Over 5,000 town fans there  and with that kind of support think how commercially viable we could be if it was repeated more during the season.

Because most of em can't stand the bloke at the top and what he's doing/done to our club.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
Tommy
April 7, 2018, 9:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
What a sense of relief I've felt since about 4.51pm. Similar to the relief I felt after we'd beaten FGR at Wembley in fact.

First half I thought we were edging it (just). Chesterfield looked lively on the break but didn't actually make anything of those breaks forward to the point of creating a chance. Macca just with that one save in the first half, his only real save of the match in fact.

We also only had the one real chance 1st half though when Hooper turned really well and got onto it forcing a save.

At half time Jolley switched to a 4-5-1 with Hooper coming out wide left with Woolford going inside. Some might have seen this as a defensive move, but it allowed us to get more controlled possession whilst also being more solid in the middle preventing their little lad with the cast from picking up the ball on the half turn.

We were actually better going forward with the 451 with Summerfield busting a gut to get forward and support Vernon, and Hooper showing a few nice bits of play before having to come off apparently injured.

Still didn't think we were going to score though with the immobile and ineffective Vernon as our lone striker. Cardwell coming on immediately put more pressure on the Chesterfield defenders and he made runs to try and get in behind.

Should've scored when we had a spell of crosses from Dembele when Summers' header was saved and then Rose couldnt' finish the rebound.

Penalty late on was a pen I thought. Rose showed balls/confidence to take it after missing sitters in the last 2 games and he'll know a section of the crowd would've been on him if he'd missed.

Hall-Johnson was superb at right-back. Possibly picked to combat the quick Zavon Hines on their left, who was the target for loads of diagonal balls in their game with Notts County I watched a bit of the other week (Jolley was there watching & would've seen that). Did a great job nullifying him and also got forward well, particularly first half when he played a dangerous ball in across the 6 yard box after a good move.

Clarke and Collins generally excellent. Clarke making several strong and well-times tackles. Some shoddy clearances out of play at times from both of them but they did the basics of defending very well in general.

Rose and Summerfield competed well, and offered more in possession 2nd half when Woolford joined them in there. Woolford himself had a tidy enough game. As i've said before he's not a bad technical player, he just isn't going to fly down the line and beat people, so he needs the right players around him to flourish.

Hooper I thought wasn't too bad, particularly second half when he came wide left where he was starting to influence the game a bit more. Vernon I thought offered nothing - didn't win headers, didn't hold the ball up or link play.

Thought Jolley's tactical change was a key moment for the game, and Super Jack (nice to see him get a nice reception before the game btw) didn't react to our change and we went on to grind out the win better than they could.

Win next week and it might even be enough.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
Marinerz93
April 7, 2018, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I'm so happy tonight, in fact this is the happiest I've been in months, the wife is in for a right treat tonight.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jULEmv5.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2018, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
So 3 hour drive home smiling for once!

Firstly I have not heard noise like that at BP in ages and ages, my god was it good to hear and see everybody behind the team. Behind a team that really put in a shift and showed real heart and determination. MJ might not be getting a tune out of them yet but he is certainly getting a work rate, grit and determination and the spirit and attitude looks much stronger than a few weeks ago.

Though Chesterfield had their moments in the first half forcing a great save from Macca I think at half time we'd been the better side getting in behind them a few times and when we could keep the ball and didn't hoof it it looked promising. The keeping the ball thing is still an issue for me and against better sides we'd have been punished for sure.

Shape change after half time, a Diamond with Woollford at the base? (need Tommy to help me with that one) changed the dynamic a little and for once got the mid field a bit further forward, I also liked the role it gave Woolford and that it allowed him to have an influence on the game rather than being out wide. I do think the players took time to get used to it but it was something different from MJ rather than just a change on 70 mins,    

So the goal came and on the law of averages based upon effort despite it being a soft pen I think Town deserved a break and the rub of the green, Up stepped Mitch Rose and slotted it home perfectly which he followed by an understated celebration, not!

For once the age of the Town side worked to our advantage as the experience of Collins, Clarke, Woolford and McSheffery enabled us to see the game out for a long overdue win.

Had stopped doing this but,

Macca - Great today very authoritative and an excellent save in the first half.
Reece HJ - What a find, did really well again today, we need to keep him, amazed he was a Slade signing?  
Foxy - Competent game, looking fitter week by week and if we stay up he stays for me.
Clarke - Much. much better clearly does not want to end his career with a relegatin.
Collins - As above but actually better than Clarke
Summers - Good game all round and his never say die spirit adds loads.
Rose - Possibly his best game for Town though he scares the sh1t out of me when he dwells on possession.
Dembelle - Looked dangerous once again and worked really hard
Woolford - Hos experience counted for a lot today especially when he went into the middle
Vernon - Put in a shift and worked hard off the ball
Hopper - I'm convinced there is a player in there and it feels like MJ is possibly unlocking it, if fit keep him in as he will get more confident and the who know's.

Cardwell - Gave them something to think about as he's different to Vernon
McSheffery - See above re the experience bit, he must have been some player in his pomp.  
DJ - A cameo but again added something else.

MOM - A few to choose from but for me Rose as after missing a sitter on Monday I reckon t took real balls to step up and take such an important pen, I have at times questioned his attitude but he won me back today.

Are we staying up? - "We go again" next week into another must win and then "we go again" at Swindon, then who knows? But today did us no harm whatsoever, well done MJ and the players.

UTM!  

BTW the trouble causers in the Main Stand need not bother next week, stay in the pub please lads as we don't want you at BP!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.