headingly_mariner
April 7, 2018, 9:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Pouton4ever
I just hope Fox and Hall-Johnson stick around next season. Fox is a right find- best left back we ve had in years and still gaining match fitness. Did you see him after the penno went in felt it like we did!

I’m not convinced by either of them. Both good going forward but some seriously suspect defending. Though Hall-Johnson is just breaking in to first team football and should improve. Club’s best fullback was on the bench again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
Grantley
April 7, 2018, 9:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
We went 4-1-4-1 after the break, Rose laying deeper, Woolford into the middle and Hooper on the wing. We got on the ball more and stopped giving the ball away like we did in the first half. Thought Rose, Vernon and Woolford has stinkers in the first half.

After the change though, Rose and Woolford felt the benefit, with Woolford hardly putting a foot wrong and finding all the right passes and Rose showing balls of steel to take that penalty. Good on ya Mitch.

The defence was generally solid barring 10 minutes in the first half and the scramble in the second. Fullbacks look athletic and Clarke and Collins are managing to win all of their aerial battles. Macca was his usual solid self.

Vernon was shite and I don’t like having a go but I think he’s given up. Can’t say I’m too fussed. Cardwell offered more pace and better runs when he came on and I’d consider starting him next week, unless Jackson is fit.

Dembele was almost back to his best as he managed to get past people this time. Still needs major work on his end product but another performance like that against Barnet will do him good.

Credit to McSheffrey and DJ too - they came on and gave us more movement, particularly McSheffrey, who showed some lovely touches. It’s pretty concerning that we still don’t look like scoring. Just to point out, we have had 9 penalties this season. We HAVE managed to tighten the defence but the real test comes against Akinde.

Chesterfield were shite. Quick midfielders and forwards but it was disjointed and incohesive. That said, I think their players were better than ours. Whilst the penalty looked dodgy at the time, highlights show that he obviously stuck his arm towards the ball, even if it hit his bicep.

One more win should do it for us!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
toontown
April 7, 2018, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I’m not convinced by either of them. Both good going forward but some seriously suspect defending. Though Hall-Johnson is just breaking in to first team football and should improve. Club’s best fullback was on the bench again.

unfortunately Mills is the opposite - good defender but poor in the final 3rd
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2018, 10:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

RHJ will get better and Fox will get fitter, if that happens and Fox stays you may see Mills converted to a center half as Collins and Clarke will leave and his pace at the back will help.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2018, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Grantley
We went 4-1-4-1 after the break, Rose laying deeper, Woolford into the middle and Hooper on the wing. We got on the ball more and stopped giving the ball away like we did in the first half. Thought Rose, Vernon and Woolford has stinkers in the first half.

After the change though, Rose and Woolford felt the benefit, with Woolford hardly putting a foot wrong and finding all the right passes and Rose showing balls of steel to take that penalty. Good on ya Mitch.

The defence was generally solid barring 10 minutes in the first half and the scramble in the second. Fullbacks look athletic and Clarke and Collins are managing to win all of their aerial battles. Macca was his usual solid self.

Vernon was shite and I don’t like having a go but I think he’s given up. Can’t say I’m too fussed. Cardwell offered more pace and better runs when he came on and I’d consider starting him next week, unless Jackson is fit.

Dembele was almost back to his best as he managed to get past people this time. Still needs major work on his end product but another performance like that against Barnet will do him good.

Credit to McSheffrey and DJ too - they came on and gave us more movement, particularly McSheffrey, who showed some lovely touches. It’s pretty concerning that we still don’t look like scoring. Just to point out, we have had 9 penalties this season. We HAVE managed to tighten the defence but the real test comes against Akinde.

Chesterfield were shite. Quick midfielders and forwards but it was disjointed and incohesive. That said, I think their players were better than ours. Whilst the penalty looked dodgy at the time, highlights show that he obviously stuck his arm towards the ball, even if it hit his bicep.

One more win should do it for us!

Good point re Jackson, MJ keeps mentioning him so he may well start next week if fit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 7, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,755
Gold Stars: 80

Think many overlook the fact that Fox has not been playing regularly of late and seems to be improving every game. Accept he was caught out once or twice but think when fully fit he will be an asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
RonMariner
April 7, 2018, 10:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,772
Gold Stars: 226
Chesterfield next three game are a tough six pointer away to Morcombe on Tuesday, then a home game derby on Saturday against Mansfield who are only just outside the playoff zone, and then an away trip to Exeter on the following Tuesday.

I think they would do well to get three points out of that lot. If we beat Barnet I think we will still be at least 7 points ahead of them, and they will only have one game in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
Heisenberg
April 7, 2018, 10:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,095
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from RonMariner
Chesterfield next three game are a tough six pointer away to Morcombe on Tuesday, then a home game derby on Saturday against Mansfield who are only just outside the playoff zone, and then an away trip to Exeter on the following Tuesday.

I think they would do well to get three points out of that lot. If we beat Barnet I think we will still be at least 7 points ahead of them, and they will only have one game in hand.

Don’t forget, Chesterfield v Mansfield is a huge derby. You think about all our derbys - 30 miles to any of Scunny, Hull or Lincoln. Mansfield is literally 10 miles from Chesterfield. More at stake than even today, they will be nervous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Rick12
April 7, 2018, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Thought we edged it overall .First half even stevens and second half we looked a bit more cohesive than them.

Dembele again looked the one with a bit of class

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
KingstonMariner
April 7, 2018, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob

I don't think it is. If we win our remaining games there is no way we can go down. In fact if we beat Barnet and win one other game you'd struggle to find a combination which would relegate us, not least because Barnet have to play Chesterfield. Three points against Barnet and we reach the Snooker Required stage where only a freak set of results would send us down.

I looked at simplistically. What i didn't do is look at the impact of FGR v Chesterfield and FGR v Town. But you can forgive me for not contemplating US winning every game.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.