Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Views and Opinions!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 122 Guests

Views and Opinions!

This thread currently has 16,435 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
March 20, 2018, 11:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
If we get relegated I won't be angry.

I was angry in 2010. I've been angry this season. I'm tired of being angry. I haven't got the energy to be angry.

I'm just deeply, deeply disappointed.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 106
Ipswin
March 20, 2018, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
We have reached the point of no return regarding the running of our great club,

Lets look at what is different now,

Fenty has always come in for some criticism over the years, some rightly some wrongly,

His family and supporters have always come back on here to defend him,

Well that has stopped hasn't it ?

Not one fishy member has come out to defend him for weeks now,

So what happens after this season?

If we go down it could be the end not just for Fenty but for our great club,

Fans had 6 years going round the country competing against village teams most of the time giving them the biggest crowd of the season,

BUT

Fenty and Co did not appreciate the support  because it did not give the club any profit,

I am afraid that will not happen again as once in a life time is enough for most fans,

If we survive things will have to change and that will not happen if Fenty is still in power,

He will have to walk away he past the point of no return.

You only have to look at the likes of Bax and Big Chris who have come on here and said their piece to know there will be something big happening in the summer whether we are safe or not,

So for 8 games that will decide our fate I just agree with others that we should all unite behind Jolley and the team and hope we can get enough points to survive ,

Then the future will be fantastic imo ,

A bright new manager with a bright new board backing him,

A club that is united from the stands to the boardroom,

Wouldn't that be great. ?

Bit old to believe in fairies aren't you Pete?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 106
lew chaterleys lover
March 20, 2018, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237
From what I can see on here Fenty treats the Trust with the same contempt as he treats the fans. In his eyes he is the only one who deserves any praise, and the club to him is his personal property to do with what he likes because he once put some money in.

The Trust board should resign and add their voice to the clamour for change. Start putting the heat on publicly and give Mr. Fenty the opportunity to say in clear terms what he intends to do.

It is so frustrating for all concerned that he has wasted all the goodwill that generally surrounds the club, but really poor decisions which are getting worse as each year passes means he has exhausted any trust.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 106
Cloudy
March 20, 2018, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
From what I can see on here Fenty treats the Trust with the same contempt as he treats the fans. In his eyes he is the only one who deserves any praise, and the club to him is his personal property to do with what he likes because he once put some money in.

The Trust board should resign and add their voice to the clamour for change. Start putting the heat on publicly and give Mr. Fenty the opportunity to say in clear terms what he intends to do.

It is so frustrating for all concerned that he has wasted all the goodwill that generally surrounds the club, but really poor decisions which are getting worse as each year passes means he has exhausted any trust.

Not sure the Trust board should resign but other than that I am in agreement with putting pressure on Fenty once the season is over.

Some will say why wait but if these issues lessen our chances of survival by 0.05% then it is best to wait
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 106
1mickylyons
March 20, 2018, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Cloudy

Not sure the Trust board should resign but other than that I am in agreement with putting pressure on Fenty once the season is over.

Some will say why wait but if these issues lessen our chances of survival by 0.05% then it is best to wait

Two way sword really by being on the board the Trust are in effect part of the problem.If they resign that position in protest what about all the hard work and money spent in gaining and holding that position? The right person sat on that board could do a lot of good if the time ever came round when real change was embraced. I think they should wait til league position is determined then they need a sit down with the board and seek clear and concise answers on strategy for GTFC going forward.Any hint of BS or delaying tactics get the gloves off and come out swinging the vast majority of fans will back them.To sit and do nothing after this Season even IF we stay up they are in effect condoning the current regime and it`s failings.To me that would be unacceptable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 106
grimsby pete
March 20, 2018, 12:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Bit old to believe in fairies aren't you Pete?

Well I believe in you my mate,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 106
ginnywings
March 20, 2018, 12:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RichMariner
If we get relegated I won't be angry.

I was angry in 2010. I've been angry this season. I'm tired of being angry. I haven't got the energy to be angry.

I'm just deeply, deeply disappointed.

Same here. Think most are beyond anger now and well into the realms of apathy. I feel no affinity to the club any more and as you say, it's just all deeply disappointing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 106
lew chaterleys lover
March 20, 2018, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Two way sword really by being on the board the Trust are in effect part of the problem.If they resign that position in protest what about all the hard work and money spent in gaining and holding that position? The right person sat on that board could do a lot of good if the time ever came round when real change was embraced. I think they should wait til league position is determined then they need a sit down with the board and seek clear and concise answers on strategy for GTFC going forward.Any hint of BS or delaying tactics get the gloves off and come out swinging the vast majority of fans will back them.To sit and do nothing after this Season even IF we stay up they are in effect condoning the current regime and it`s failings.To me that would be unacceptable.

The "board" is Fenty. That is it. the others are just there to massage his ego and fulfil any legal requirements.

Surely by now we know that Fenty is Fenty; he has nothing to offer other than being himself. There is no sunny uplands around the corner where he takes the club in a new direction, whilst taking on board what other more informed people are saying. There is no chance of any proper investment in the players or the facilities or spectator comfort or being more engaging with the fans.

All his goodwill has been used up, there is nothing left.

He himself keeps saying he wants out, so the only thing to do now is get the Trust to be the catalyst to find a way for him to leave, in a way acceptable to all parties.

I do agree all this should be done at the end of the season, but the club the fans the community cannot go forward if he stays in charge as the atmosphere is too toxic.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 106
kevikov
March 20, 2018, 2:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mariner_09
I have a very ambivalent view on JF. I recognise that he was the only one with any decent capital prepared to put his money where his mouth is in the aftermath of the ITV digital shambles. Even if has invested £2m worth of “benign loans” then he has still put £2m worth of his own money into the club. I know he is a wealthy man but I’d imagine that is a very significant proportion of his own wealth. Given that I am inclined to have a reasonable degree of sympathy for him.

Added to that, even when I am vilifying him, I would never question his integrity. He clearly cares about the club and I’m certain he hurt as much as the rest of us when we got relegated out of the football league and spent 6 long years trying to pick ourselves up. He was as excited and giddy as anyone after Nathan Arnold temporarily set us free. Even if it was cringeworthy, his celebrations with Omar during his interview with BT demonstrated his joy at getting us promoted. He then looked ecstatic when Dis held the promotion trophy aloft. He is as much a Town fan as any of us, just with lots more money and had the will to pump it into a leaky bucket of a football club.

I also believe that some sections of the fanbase do show symptoms of what Jose Mourinho would call “football heritage” given that it wasn’t very long ago that we were beating Liverpool in the League Cup and holding our own in the Championship for several years. We were punching above our weight in those days, I saw a Cod Almighty piece about 2 years ago showing that the attendance for the first home game of the season for a 2nd tier game against Port Vale under Buckley was almost identical to the one against Nuneaton, also the first home game of the season back in 2014. Some people didn’t know what they had. We had it really good in those days and probably only appreciate it now it’s gone. JF has overseen our natural reordering and that has worsened our perception of him. It would probably have happened anyway but it happened under his stewardship. Whether an. ownership with better football knowledge would have slowed the regression to a level to make it manageable is unknowable.

For the aforementioned reasons he has built up a great bank of good will and sympathy from me. I recognise his financial contribution is substantial and his love of the club undeniable. I was therefore able to forgive him after our first relegation from the league. However, even my good will is starting to wear thin. This season has exemplified his hugely overinflated ego, his propensity to excerbate already awful situations and hasn’t helped the perception that he treats the fans as just customers rather than actual supporters who need looking after.

I’m not going to go over old ground and fastidiously narrate all of the PR shambles, abysmal managerial appointments and consistently shambolic decision making again but I will mention one. If Ginny and the other poster whose name escapes me are correct, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, and JF did describe Operation Promotion as the worst thing to ever happen to the club then he is either very arrogant, naive or just downright insulting. Operation Promotion brought the fans together. We are often a divided bunch. Take Paul Hurst, Jon Nolan, Lenell John Lewis, Ollie Palmer etc. There have been hundreds of examples in my lifetime that show how we can have vehement disagreements on lots of players and managers but OP brought us all together. It encouraged collective desire and even if it provided the funds to sign Pat Hoban so he could fire that shot that was blocked so Nath could score it was worth it in a footballing sense as well. Even if JF does think that then it shows a huge degree of unintelligence at telling hard working, dedicated fans that he believes it. As people frequently tell me, engage brain before mouth.

The problem as I see it is that JF has spent so long in ultimate control that he believes he has become untouchable and given his financial stranglehold that is a reasonable suggestion to make. As an unparagoned individual he can say, do and think as he likes and it won’t alter his position of relative power in the club. When someone spends so long in a post they tend to think like that, look at Tony Blair and Margerat Thatcher, they both clung to power too long and their respective careers ended in disaster. Witn JF the electorate or his own party can’t boot him out when they’ve had enough of him. We have to suffer until he is ready to leave.

The other issue is the almost complete absence of viable alternatives. Unless there is a secret millionaire out there ready to buy us out then, in all honesty, I agree with JF and the current hierarchy must carry out due diligence and make sure we don’t get some Italian gangster coming in and turning us into his vanity project. I’d rather have JF than someone with no affinity to the club and the same probabe incompetence when it comes to decision making. Likewise, fan ownership is littered with issues. We would still need somebody with the necessary skills and energy to lead such a venture and nobody seems willing to come forward and lead this campaign.

Overall, the problem is almost unsolvable, we have no clear alternative to JF and even if there was one I’d be making every attempt to make sure they absolutely financially and morally capable of running MY CLUB! JF has invested a huge amount of time, money and soul into running this club and he does deserve some slack, the issue is that he has been given some and now all patience has evaporated and there must be an change. This year has plumbed the depths of despair. The Slade appointment was dreadful and the delayed sacking was denouncable. However, we must now show the same collective desire as we did during Operation Promotion to ensure we are in the FL next season.

I agree with some of your points 09, its the last paragraph I have issue with. The problems not unsolvable, its a situation which has been managed by JF, he has engineered this catch 22 position where he holds all the cards and makes all the decisions. Decisions where, by in large he's failed. Miserably. Time and time again. He may well have invested huge amounts off time and money into the club but tbf he's done it terribly. Whether he wanted to or not.
If our club is to go forward even just an inch, JF has to relinquish the reins, either by completely removing himself from day to day matters and be a "silent" director/shareholder and let someone else run there club, from top to bottom. I and lots of others have said it before, he has a much better chance of ever regaining any of his money if someone else ran the club even just a little bit more professionally than him.
Or, by clearing out of the club. altogether. A lot of people bang oil about "who's coming in?" "who is there who wants to take over?" An enormous amount of football clubs attract investment in the UK, big clubs and small clubs. I believe the main reason no substantial takeover has happened is because of JF, I wouldn't want to work with him either so I understand if potential investors are put off even enquiring. The last two investors are long gone, the trust were held to ransom when they were perceived as a threat/easy target. The signs are there.
My thinking is that JF is not untouchable, at all. He is 100% totally reliant on a group of people to make his position worthwhile, US. Without us he has nothing except an empty stadium, soaking up more and more of his money. We can force his hand.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 106
Tell the truth
March 20, 2018, 2:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +24
Mr fentys regime is coming to an end.Little bird tells me that someone is taken fenty to court and all will come out.If what comes out is true He is finished.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Views and Opinions!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.