Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO Getyourfactsright
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

FAO Getyourfactsright

This thread currently has 28,306 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
September 11, 2017, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I would have a closer look at the reasons he left and the share issue. He was shafted out of the club and the issue was wholly avoidable.
A loan is not benign if somebody wants it back however far in the future that might be.

Only a selected few individuals know what happened, mainly the two main parties themselves...from what i know of, wasnt it he put his money in shares and JF put his in in loans, which was not what MP was expecting ?

Now to me, if you are sticking in a significant amount of cash into an investment surely you would have the terms for that fully agreed and signed before parting with the cash ? That way if the agreement was broken you would have cause to be reimbursed ?

As i say i dont know the full details but i have always thought it strange that a succesful businessman like MP seemed to pretty much walk away from an investment without an apparent great fight. Was he turned over by JF ? Did he fail in his own due diligence on the deal ? Did he just decide he couldnt work with the board after joining and had enough personal fortune to just walk away ?

Dont think we will ever know.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 210
September 11, 2017, 12:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from Cloudy
Fenty put his money in years ago and has added very little (if any) over the last few years. The only money over and above fan and commercial income came from the Mullens.

JSF cannot call his loans in ( and nor can any other director who has loaned the club money) unless the club can afford to repay. They cannot and therefore JSF clings to the football fortune raft.

I think deep down he knows he isnt getting the loans back so an offer for his £1m shareholding and being able to demonstrate you could 'take the club forward' would be an acceptable starting point for negotiation.

You would NOT have to pay anything like £4m to take over GTFC

Good post.  Just to expand further, would anyone seriously want the Trust running the club?  Didn't MP offer up that opportunity but the wise heads 'gifted' Fenty the shares.  Are those shares included in fentys holding?

The only way we will ever get rid of him is to stop funding the club through merchandise and tickets.  The club is an utter shambles and has been throughout his tenure.
Reply: 71 - 210
Barrattstander
September 11, 2017, 12:51pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from moosey_club

Only a selected few individuals know what happened, mainly the two main parties themselves...from what i know of, wasnt it he put his money in shares and JF put his in in loans, which was not what MP was expecting ?

Now to me, if you are sticking in a significant amount of cash into an investment surely you would have the terms for that fully agreed and signed before parting with the cash ? That way if the agreement was broken you would have cause to be reimbursed ?

As i say i dont know the full details but i have always thought it strange that a succesful businessman like MP seemed to pretty much walk away from an investment without an apparent great fight. Was he turned over by JF ? Did he fail in his own due diligence on the deal ? Did he just decide he couldnt work with the board after joining and had enough personal fortune to just walk away ?

He may appear to have 'walked away' from the club, but according to the last Company Accounts he still owns 22% of the shares.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 210
barralad
September 11, 2017, 1:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 139914

Good post.  Just to expand further, would anyone seriously want the Trust running the club?  Didn't MP offer up that opportunity but the wise heads 'gifted' Fenty the shares.  Are those shares included in fentys holding?

The only way we will ever get rid of him is to stop funding the club through merchandise and tickets.  The club is an utter shambles and has been throughout his tenure.

Ok I'll bite! If The Trust were running the club they'd be running it without me. There would be an obvious need to recruit people with far more experience and business acumen than our current group of very well-meaning amateurs.
The share offer was made around the time of the relaunch of the Trust. At no time was it communicated that we should use the shares to "Go it alone" as far as I'm aware. We were in no position whatsover to run a professional football club-neither did we have sufficient shares to enable it to happen. We must have been over this a hundred times but the decision to make the shares over to J.F. was made by the membership in a vote. The fact that J.F. threatened to sell players may have influenced that decision but it was what it was. As far as I'm aware Mr Parker retains a significant shareholding in GTFC.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 210
barralad
September 11, 2017, 1:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I would have a closer look at the reasons he left and the share issue. He was shafted out of the club and the issue was wholly avoidable.
A loan is not benign if somebody wants it back however far in the future that might be.

Do you have any evidence for that (genuine question) because as far as I'm aware Mr Parker has never revealed in public why he walked away? The decision to "gift" those shares to The Trust caught us completely on the hop.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 210
headingly_mariner
September 11, 2017, 1:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

I'm sure at the time there were great interviews with Parker who explained the issue. I think the commitment to put money in as shares was made publically at either a fans forum or in an interview. I wonder if anyone can find it now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 210
grimsby pete
September 11, 2017, 1:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad

Ok I'll bite! If The Trust were running the club they'd be running it without me. There would be an obvious need to recruit people with far more experience and business acumen than our current group of very well-meaning amateurs.
The share offer was made around the time of the relaunch of the Trust. At no time was it communicated that we should use the shares to "Go it alone" as far as I'm aware. We were in no position whatsover to run a professional football club-neither did we have sufficient shares to enable it to happen. We must have been over this a hundred times but the decision to make the shares over to J.F. was made by the membership in a vote. The fact that J.F. threatened to sell players may have influenced that decision but it was what it was. As far as I'm aware Mr Parker retains a significant shareholding in GTFC.

Have you sorted out my membership card yet Ian ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 210
Mariner_09
September 11, 2017, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
It would have been interesting to see how we'd have started the season under Bignot. Of course hindsight is 20/20 vision but looking back it's difficult to see that MB could have done any worse than Slade. I'm sure people said that he tore the squad to bits at Solihull and left players unhappy but when he got his own players in with his own way of thinking they were successful.

After all, his recruitment was actually quite good, there were a few unnecessary signings but Jones, Osborne, Clements and possibly Asante (when fit) looks to be a good effort for me. I have maintained that he wasted a lot of money on Gunning, Yussuf, Maxwell and even the extension of Comley's loan seemed pointless. He talked a lot of rubbish and sometimes his tactics were baffling but maybe, just maybe with some time and the squad that finished last season we'd have been ok again this season and at the end of the this season he could have fully built up his own side without all of Hurst's signings he didn't want we'd have gone forward as he'd have signed more prospects and they'd have been hungrier.

Slade seems to have signed a load of journeymen who are clearly inferior to their predecessors. Dixon, Hooper, Clarke, Cardwell and Kelly all look like poor signings or worse than what was before. Only Rose, Dembele and maybe DJ look better than what they replaced. Hope they all eventually gel and become a good unit but I doubt it

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 210
moosey_club
September 11, 2017, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mariner_09
It would have been interesting to see how we'd have started the season under Bignot. Of course hindsight is 20/20 vision but looking back it's difficult to see that MB could have done any worse than Slade. I'm sure people said that he tore the squad to bits at Solihull and left players unhappy but when he got his own players in with his own way of thinking they were successful.

Interstingly enough Slade, up until Saturday, had started the season with exactly the same run of results as Hurst had the season before, we are currently 1 point worse off than what we managed under what appears in some circles to be the "new messiah's" start after he tore up the promotion squad.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 210
arryarryarry
September 11, 2017, 2:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

Do you have any evidence for that (genuine question) because as far as I'm aware Mr Parker has never revealed in public why he walked away? The decision to "gift" those shares to The Trust caught us completely on the hop.

He was interviewed on Radio Humberside, I was listening to it travelling to an evening match at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 210
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO Getyourfactsright

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.