Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO Getyourfactsright
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 277 Guests

FAO Getyourfactsright

This thread currently has 28,307 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
September 10, 2017, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

At least Bignot seemed to have a plan, Slade seems to prefer quantity over quality. Just my opinion, but Bignot seemed to have a bigger plan than Fenty was prepared to finance and we're now left with a manager on the way down rather than one on the way up.

If Bignot had a plan I'm not sure I was able to discern it. Just looked like a big mess and loads of bullsh1t to me. Massive, imbalanced squad. In what sense is Bignot 'on the way up'? Sure, he might get a job in the conference again but other than that....?

I can't see the point of this thread really - goading John Fenty to somehow come on here and make it all ok. What do people want him to say? He'd just be opening himself up to abuse and derision really. If you're that bothered about speaking with him, then pm or e-mail him and put your points to him. I never felt that any of his previous appearances on here were anything other than ill conceived and unhelpful really.

Besides, I think we all want to see some action, not hear some more words. I get sick of staff talking a good game and then failing to deliver on that on the pitch. We'll have to wait a bit I think to get a proper sense of where we are and what's going right/wrong. I agree that it all looks a bit cr@p - hoofball, and indiscipline and a lack of cohesion or threat, and I'm really angry and disappointed about that, but we wil have to stick with it for a bit and keep the faith......

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 210
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 12:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How do we know Fenty had the means to finance Bignot's plans? That is an issue people never really consider, just because JF has personal means it does not mean he should be expected to use them on the football club at every touch & turn or the whims of a manager who swung from being a real visionary to a total nut job on a daily basis.

He has the means but what is clear is he runs the club how he sees fit and since he has been in charge we have gone from bad to excrement with one season that saw us climb out of a league we should never have been in the first place, and it hasn't been a season or two it's over a decade of excrement and it doesn't seem to be improving at all on BIgnot. As for Slade he hasn't won anything so how is he the man to take us to the next level, on current showing if he stays with us long enough he take us to the level below.

Also Fenty doesn't play well with others who do have the finances to fund better players that's why no one is coming forward. Fenty needs to either absorb the benign debt into shares or wipe them out to see if anyone with real drive and determination will come forward.

Also look down the road at Scunny,a nothing club apart from a 2-3 seasons, they appoint a chief executive and bam they are a club on the up. Fenty needs to burry his ego because it's weighting this club down.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 210
HertsGTFC
September 10, 2017, 12:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Marinerz93

He has the means but what is clear is he runs the club how he sees fit and since he has been in charge we have gone from bad to excrement with one season that saw us climb out of a league we should never have been in the first place, and it hasn't been a season or two it's over a decade of excrement and it doesn't seem to be improving at all on BIgnot. As for Slade he hasn't won anything so how is he the man to take us to the next level, on current showing if he stays with us long enough he take us to the level below.

Also Fenty doesn't play well with others who do have the finances to fund better players that's why no one is coming forward. Fenty needs to either absorb the benign debt into shares or wipe them out to see if anyone with real drive and determination will come forward.

Also look down the road at Scunny,a nothing club apart from a 2-3 seasons, they appoint a chief executive and bam they are a club on the up. Fenty needs to burry his ego because it's weighting this club down.

The issue is that even if he wrote off the debt and someone came in this club is not a strong investment opportunity. You could invest in the team, spend tens of millions on a new ground, do loads in the community but you would still struggle to sell your exec boxes, get take up of the facilities mid week and get more than what 8,000 - 10,000 per week at best. Remember the word "investment" suggests that you would get some type of return the only return you might get is the gratitude of the fans providing we win every week as soon as we lose a few that gratitude might disappear, anyone with half a brain and £100 million would run a fukin mile.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 210
grimsby pete
September 10, 2017, 12:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The issue is that even if he wrote off the debt and someone came in this club is not a strong investment opportunity. You could invest in the team, spend tens of millions on a new ground, do loads in the community but you would still struggle to sell your exec boxes, get take up of the facilities mid week and get more than what 8,000 - 10,000 per week at best. Remember the word "investment" suggests that you would get some type of return the only return you might get is the gratitude of the fans providing we win every week as soon as we lose a few that gratitude might disappear, anyone with half a brain and £100 million would run a fukin mile.  

Like David Ross.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 210
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

SO why is Scunthorpe a good investment, they struggle with gates unless they get a local or big club. It seems to me that no one with money wants Fenty involved in any part of the deal. How do you know the executive boxes won't sell, they did in Championship and League 1 and League 2 when we had a side that tried.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 210
HertsGTFC
September 10, 2017, 1:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Marinerz93

SO why is Scunthorpe a good investment, they struggle with gates unless they get a local or big club. It seems to me that no one with money wants Fenty involved in any part of the deal. How do you know the executive boxes won't sell, they did in Championship and League 1 and League 2 when we had a side that tried.

Well firstly the Scunts have been solid league 1 for a bit, had time in the championship and been generally competitive whilst we have been in non league. They have had TV revenue etc.. whilst we have had the "change from down the back of the football pyramid sofa"

I think but don't know but would imagine that Scunny was a better investment as they are more likely to be able to build a new ground than we are. All the push back GTFC has faced on the stadium question increases the risk.

When Swann got involved with Scunny he may have had the choice, 1 Take on a club established in the FL who have a real opportunity to build a new stadium and have some of the gravy train incoming or 2 Take on a non league club with no reality to re-locate, with small income streams and pay in excess of £3 million to just get in the door before you attempt to get them out of a tin pot league where only 2 clubs can go up, park your allegiance to GTFC for a bit and ask yourself what would you do?    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 210
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2017, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I would really like to ask him one question ..

" what on earth was you thinking ? "

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 210
kevikov
September 10, 2017, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would like to know  after we got the Bogle money,

1. Why did we not buy a decent striker,

2. Why did he allow Bignot and Slade bring so many players in that are not good enough.

Most likely because picking players and assessing quality is not his job? And most fans would be annoyed if he did assume control of player aquisition and scouting. Those two questions are for the managers imo.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 210
MuddyWaters
September 10, 2017, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
I guess the conclusion of all this is that we have a decision to make about whether the football is more important than the finance. I would find it very difficult to watch our team play non league football again and I suspect that there many others who would say the same. To let it happen once was unfortunate , to let it happen again would be unforgivable.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 210
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 1:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Well firstly the Scunts have been solid league 1 for a bit, had time in the championship and been generally competitive whilst we have been in non league. They have had TV revenue etc.. whilst we have had the "change from down the back of the football pyramid sofa"

I think but don't know but would imagine that Scunny was a better investment as they are more likely to be able to build a new ground than we are. All the push back GTFC has faced on the stadium question increases the risk.

When Swann got involved with Scunny he may have had the choice, 1 Take on a club established in the FL who have a real opportunity to build a new stadium and have some of the gravy train incoming or 2 Take on a non league club with no reality to re-locate, with small income streams and pay in excess of £3 million to just get in the door before you attempt to get them out of a tin pot league where only 2 clubs can go up, park your allegiance to GTFC for a bit and ask yourself what would you do?    

Fair points but Scunny fan base at League 1 was far shorter than ours at non league level and relied on large away support whilst we were stuck with one man and his dog, in fact we had more stewards in the away end than fans in most games. Most clubs who had financial backing in non league got promoted quicker than those who didn't.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 210
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAO Getyourfactsright

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.