Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

This thread currently has 13,843 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
February 9, 2017, 10:25am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,686
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Grimsby Town F.C. | Posted: 9 February 2017, 10:00AM
Community Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning Application

EXTREME has now completed the early stage viability assessment of the Community Stadium project and are satisfied that it is a project they wish to progress to a formal planning application with.

Alistair Gosling Chairman at EXTREME said: “We were delighted to be invited to give an informal presentation to Councillors across all parties yesterday (Feb 7th)  where we were able to outline, discuss and answer questions  over  our vision  to provide a Community Stadium and the enabling developments within North East Lincolnshire.

“Members raised a number of issues with us, which we understand and which we will seek to address as we move forward; we felt it was a very positive and progressive discussion and hopefully will be the first steps in engaging with the wider community on our exciting plans.

“We now look forward to hopefully seeing the Council’s Cabinet report on the next steps later this month.’’

Town director, John Fenty added: “I’m delighted that Extreme have had an opportunity to communicate directly with Councillors, in a two-way communication during their presentation. This has enabled clarification of opportunities for a scheme that has huge potential, to not only deliver a New Community Stadium, but to include other leisure facilities and much needed affordable homes within the borough. A project of this nature to progress needs timely decisions in order to make the most of opportunities that currently present themselves”.

The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers.

To ensure viability and the least cost impact to the local district, an enabling element of affordable residential has been included. These are now being viewed on a District wide basis.

The level of investment for the Stadium & Leisure Project and enabling developments are expected to be in excess of £250 million, with the number of full-time jobs created in excess of 600 full-time positions excluding construction based on the design and facility mix.

Targeting mainly large scale developments EXTREME partners with land owners, sports clubs, local authorities and leisure operators to deliver the initial concept, master planning, site acquisitions, planning approvals, financial structuring and long-term leisure lettings to unlock the full potential of each site and achieve long-term growth and value for all our stakeholders.
Link >> http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/grimsby-town-new-community-stadium-3565237.aspx

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Cloudy
February 9, 2017, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Slowly moving forward but I am sure we will get a few 'I want in on the Docks or East/West Marsh'

Peaks Parkway is the only show in Town, it either gets built there or not at all IMO
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 73
grimsby pete
February 9, 2017, 11:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
With the Government wanting loads more housing in the next few years,

It cam only help our plans.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 73
jimgtfc
February 9, 2017, 11:20am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +4,973
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from grimsby pete
With the Government wanting loads more housing in the next few years,

It cam only help our plans.

Exactly Pete, and I think that's what fenty means when he says "A project of this nature to progress needs timely decisions in order to make the most of opportunities that currently present themselves”

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 73
Nelly GTFC
February 9, 2017, 11:39am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Looking at the pics, it's good to see the Architects have created a concave roof design, I doubt much sound at all will leak out of that, so the argument about a new stadium being too near housing, cemetary, and crematorium should be null and void.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 11:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Cloudy
Slowly moving forward but I am sure we will get a few 'I want in on the Docks or East/West Marsh'

Peaks Parkway is the only show in Town, it either gets built there or not at all IMO

As I don't live there any longer and only really get back for game days and a few times over the summer these threads are something that I have not got too involved in.

A new stadium is a must BP as much as it holds more good memories than bad personally is unsustainable in modern football. The way forward is to move into a new ground that forms part of a football hub/leisure complex etc.. etc.. Working with joint venture partners is the only way that this can be achieved as they have the expertise and investment capacity/access that we do not posses. I think the same as the poster above if it does not go into Peak Parkway then in won't possibly happen.  

What I would say though as I am now a visitor and someone who was brought up in the Freemo area if ever there was an area of a Town that would benefit from such a development it is Freemo and the space that sits behind it. Not just from the commercial and football point of view but also as a hub for constructive and positive community programmes etc.... etc... The club could form part of a regeneration legacy that they possibly would not achieve at Peak Parkway.

It appears that Peaks Parkway is the "only" option for the development but without adding fuel to the fire does this actually give the best benefit to the Town overall? Remember this is not just a football stadium it is a leisure development/hub or whatever you want to call it, I guess that remains to be seen.

What I would say though is regardless of where and if it eventually gets built pulling it off would be some massive feat by JF and the club. It is good to see that our clubs ambition extends to off the pitch as well as on it, if managed properly one can support the other without a doubt.  

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 73
psgmariner
February 9, 2017, 11:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Cloudy

*waves*

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 73
chicaneuk
February 9, 2017, 11:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,438
Gold Stars: 5
I know we need to move to a better, more modern ground but.. can I just say regarding this line from the article:

"The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers."

Great - another generic, soulless, cookie-cutter clone of every other out-of-town entertainment complex as you might find up and down the country with the same chain restraurants and bars. Honestly I'd rather we stayed at Blundell Park. At least the ground has history and character.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 73
psgmariner
February 9, 2017, 11:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
My preferences would be as follows:

1) Stay at BP forever and nothing ever changes cos I am a sentimental old fool.
2) Redevelop BP incrementally (bit by bit for the thickos).
3) Knock BP down and rebuild it.
4) Build a new ground down Freemo.
5) Build a new ground near Sainsburys.
6) Build a new ground on the Pleasure Island site.
7) Build a new ground somewhere else "in town" be that GY or Cleethorpes.
8 ) Build a new ground at Peaks Parkway.
9) Build a new ground somewhere else in the middle of nowhere and have a pre match pint at Frankie and Bennys.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 73
Hagrid
February 9, 2017, 11:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,933
Gold Stars: 505
Quoted from chicaneuk
I know we need to move to a better, more modern ground but.. can I just say regarding this line from the article:

"The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers."

Great - another generic, soulless, cookie-cutter clone of every other out-of-town entertainment complex as you might find up and down the country with the same chain restraurants and bars. Honestly I'd rather we stayed at Blundell Park. At least the ground has history and character.

use some common sense, the club will die if it stays at BP, there is nothing to progress us as a club there
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 73
TownSNAFU5
February 9, 2017, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
The brief above said that "The level of investment for the Stadium & Leisure Project and enabling developments are expected to be in excess of £250 million, with the number of full-time jobs created in excess of 600 full-time positions excluding construction based on the design and facility mix.

How did they get the different investment elements to add up to over £250 million? And where is all this money coming from, unless the total is enhanced by some creative accounting.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 12:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk

And as well as character ...............Inadequate catering, bars, toilets, viewing, seating, dressing rooms, hospitality, parking, construction, disabled access, ticketing operation, advertising space and club shop but apart from that it's great.

The site is actually "in the Town" and not "out of town" is that not why the Nimbys are getting upset? Take a good luck at this kind of thing as if done right and grown in the correct way a development like this can add real value to a community.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 73
Davec
February 9, 2017, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from chicaneuk

I think we would all love to stay at Blundell Park and redevelop it, but the sad reality is that it would cost millions and millions to properly redevelop Blundell Park and we aren't going to see a return on the money, the fact is that Blundell Park is surrounded by housing and think of those compulsory purchase orders on all those houses! Would never happen.

The sad unfortunate fact is that we need to move to allow us to develop and grow as a club, it'll be a sad day when we all watch our final game at Blundell Park but Its what is needed to allow the club to grow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 1:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from Hagrid

use some common sense, the club will die if it stays at BP, there is nothing to progress us as a club there

I hear this argument a lot but can you explain to me why we will die if we stay at Blundell Park?  I mean I think I understand the reasoning that by moving to a new stadium we can get income from the ground on non-match days by hosting corporate and community events and they like, but I don't see how us not moving is going to cause us to die?  

I mean it seems to me that over the past 20 years since we have been discussing the move the club has had some very poor times in terms of where we found ourselves in the football pyramid but have found a very loyal and committed fanbase that has actually grown in recent years, I don't think there are any points where we would be coming close to extinction.  I also fail to see how if we had moved to Great Coates and a new stadium all those years ago we would have had more success on the pitch, is there a reason we actually should of?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 73
psgmariner
February 9, 2017, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

I hear this argument a lot but can you explain to me why we will die if we stay at Blundell Park?  I mean I think I understand the reasoning that by moving to a new stadium we can get income from the ground on non-match days by hosting corporate and community events and they like, but I don't see how us not moving is going to cause us to die?  

We will make millions of pounds every week from conferences. People are currently having to have conferences in car parks, fields, bus shelters etc. The Extreme Fenty Dome will solve this local conferencing crisis.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 73
chicaneuk
February 9, 2017, 1:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,438
Gold Stars: 5
I understand the reasons and the limitations of staying at Blundell Park. I just think these modern grounds are all the same.. complete and utter pants. I hope if it does go ahead, they try and do something a little different at least with the retail offerings etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 73
ginnywings
February 9, 2017, 1:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Quoted from Caesar

I mean it seems to me that over the past 20 years since we have been discussing the move the club has had some very poor times in terms of where we found ourselves in the football pyramid but have found a very loyal and committed fanbase that has actually grown in recent years, I don't think there are any points where we would be coming close to extinction.  I also fail to see how if we had moved to Great Coates and a new stadium all those years ago we would have had more success on the pitch, is there a reason we actually should of?

Because we lose money just about every season and are currently in debt to the tune of millions. We don't go bust because the board (mainly JF) make up the shortfall.

I'm also a bit fed up of people going on about conferences and how they can't see there is any need/any significant money from them. Well there is more to it than that and conferences are not the only way to generate income. There are loads of ways if you think about it.

My erudite opinion is: Stop faffing and get the sodomist built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 1:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Because we lose money just about every season and are currently in debt to the tune of millions. We don't go bust because the board (mainly JF) make up the shortfall.

I'm also a bit fed up of people going on about conferences and how they can't see there is any need/any significant money from them. Well there is more to it than that and conferences are not the only way to generate income. There are loads of ways if you think about it.

Ginny's right "conference facilities" does not mean you only have conferences in them he's also right in that we just need to get it effing built.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk
I understand the reasons and the limitations of staying at Blundell Park. I just think these modern grounds are all the same.. complete and utter pants. I hope if it does go ahead, they try and do something a little different at least with the retail offerings etc.

What would you suggest we did differently?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 73
Bawmariner
February 9, 2017, 1:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 1
You have to remember that parts of BP are over 100 year old so the maintenance costs must be huge. Not mention the lack of facilities putting people off attending or at least discouraging them eating or getting a pint in the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 1:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I get that it is not just the conference venues and just meant that as an example.  If we want to get into specific detail about additional benefits from what I understand they are;

1) Conference venues  (obviously part of it)

2) another larger part is the training pitches that we will be able to hire out making an income of them as well as not needing to hire training pitches ourselves.

3) There will be additional bars, restaurants and other facilities such as gyms that will bring additional income.  

4) We can sell naming rights

5) An increase in match day attendance, an increasing in corporate matchday attendees

6) Increase spend in the stadium itself due to better catering and other supplementary facilities.

If there are other things then please correct me.  However my concerns are

1) I cannot see conference events bringing in all that much.

2) I can see that additional pitches could be rented out for various reasons and training pitches used by us too, but does this have to come with a new stadium, could we not do this anyway?

3) The same argument could apply with the Gym, Is it that likely that we will have that many bars or restaurants that will be successful enough for people to come to on non-matchdays?

4) Naming rights normally cover the cost of building a stadium and provide little income in lower league stadium from what I understand.

5) Possibly more money coming in from corporate match day attendence, but I think except in the very short term I cannot picture a much larger following.  It strikes me that a lot of our cores support has been shaped by adversity and by comparing being a Grimsby fan and going to a place like Blundell Park as opposed to going to the more sanatised environments (which isn't to say that BP couldn't used being cleaned up a lot)

6) I am again somewhat sceptical that people will change having Fish and Chips in Cleethorpes for a burger in the ground in numbers enough to really make the money we are expecting of this move.  

Sorry if I am coming at these arguments later than most and people feel that all my points have been proven to be balderdash before and that there are very solid arguments with clear evidence that I am ignoring.  I am not against the new stadium and possibly slightly more for it than against it, it is just that I used to be convinced that we needed to move, then found myself visiting Colchester's new ground and other places of similar style thinking why the hell do we want to swap an atmospheric Blundell Park for this crap?  As a result now nervously unsure as to whether I am right or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 1:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I have been to a number of "new grounds" and most have been a massive improvement on BP. I did not go to Colchester but was the lack of atmosphere due to them being relegated last term or the environment.

I think your concerns are valid so please give the club and developers some time to attach the detail to each "head line".

The "conference facilities" are usually a rich source of income as they can also be used for amongst other things training venues, recruitment events, corporate exhibitions etc etc ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 73
1mickylyons
February 9, 2017, 2:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Caesar

I get that it is not just the conference venues and just meant that as an example.  If we want to get into specific detail about additional benefits from what I understand they are;

1) Conference venues  (obviously part of it)

2) another larger part is the training pitches that we will be able to hire out making an income of them as well as not needing to hire training pitches ourselves.

3) There will be additional bars, restaurants and other facilities such as gyms that will bring additional income.  

4) We can sell naming rights

5) An increase in match day attendance, an increasing in corporate matchday attendees

6) Increase spend in the stadium itself due to better catering and other supplementary facilities.

If there are other things then please correct me.  However my concerns are

1) I cannot see conference events bringing in all that much.

2) I can see that additional pitches could be rented out for various reasons and training pitches used by us too, but does this have to come with a new stadium, could we not do this anyway?

3) The same argument could apply with the Gym, Is it that likely that we will have that many bars or restaurants that will be successful enough for people to come to on non-matchdays?

4) Naming rights normally cover the cost of building a stadium and provide little income in lower league stadium from what I understand.

5) Possibly more money coming in from corporate match day attendence, but I think except in the very short term I cannot picture a much larger following.  It strikes me that a lot of our cores support has been shaped by adversity and by comparing being a Grimsby fan and going to a place like Blundell Park as opposed to going to the more sanatised environments (which isn't to say that BP couldn't used being cleaned up a lot)

6) I am again somewhat sceptical that people will change having Fish and Chips in Cleethorpes for a burger in the ground in numbers enough to really make the money we are expecting of this move.  

Sorry if I am coming at these arguments later than most and people feel that all my points have been proven to be balderdash before and that there are very solid arguments with clear evidence that I am ignoring.  I am not against the new stadium and possibly slightly more for it than against it, it is just that I used to be convinced that we needed to move, then found myself visiting Colchester's new ground and other places of similar style thinking why the hell do we want to swap an atmospheric Blundell Park for this crap?  As a result now nervously unsure as to whether I am right or not.

I think with all due respect the right thing to do as a fan is look at comparable Clubs that are localish who have moved and have they seen an increase in average home attendances? On that check out for example Hull,Hudds,Donny,Scunny,Chesterfield and look at last 5 years at old ground versus first 5 years in new.Taking Hull first I think Boothferry Park was on restricted capacity of around 10k when they left and the KC has seen regular 20k or full capacity gates.The point being had Hull have made the Prem wilst being at BP they would have lost out on more than 50% revenue generated from ticket sales.I don't have the stats to back me up but pretty sure the other 4 Clubs are all pretty much 25-50% UP on what they used to be Scunny and Donny used to get gates of 2-2500 Chesterfield sub 4k and Hudds around 8k? Donny this Season had the facility to accommodate with ease over 4k travelling fans if they wanted to bring 4k to the reverse fixture we can`t reciprocate this ground is long overdue and it`s a must if we are to progress.BP is a fantastic and homely ground but it`s long had it`s day and should have been replaced in or around 1998.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 2:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think with all due respect the right thing to do as a fan is look at comparable Clubs that are localish who have moved and have they seen an increase in average home attendances? On that check out for example Hull,Hudds,Donny,Scunny,Chesterfield and look at last 5 years at old ground versus first 5 years in new.Taking Hull first I think Boothferry Park was on restricted capacity of around 10k when they left and the KC has seen regular 20k or full capacity gates.The point being had Hull have made the Prem wilst being at BP they would have lost out on more than 50% revenue generated from ticket sales.I don't have the stats to back me up but pretty sure the other 4 Clubs are all pretty much 25-50% UP on what they used to be Scunny and Donny used to get gates of 2-2500 Chesterfield sub 4k and Hudds around 8k? Donny this Season had the facility to accommodate with ease over 4k travelling fans if they wanted to bring 4k to the reverse fixture we can`t reciprocate this ground is long overdue and it`s a must if we are to progress.BP is a fantastic and homely ground but it`s long had it`s day and should have been replaced in or around 1998.

I always think of Hull can be considered as something of an anomaly in terms of what happened with them, a lot of other things seemed to fall into place for them that led to a very quick rise, stadium was possibly part of that but think they can be considered as an outlier, in exactly the same way Darlington got completely destroyed by their foolish move is an outlier and should not be used as a knee-jerk argument against a move.  Maybe I am just being pessemistic here but I cannot imagine Town playing in the Prem at any point in the near future so guess I am not quite seeing that but get your point that they certainly would of massively lost out if they had not been able to milk the premier league wannabe fans that came to them.

The other local clubs I suppose are interesting examples in terms of their attendence (will have a dig around to see if I can find their attendence stats if I can find time)  if they are around that figure that is impressive if they are maintaining it to be fair, however looking at their league positions since the moves I don't think either club have progressed much beyond where they were, indeed Chesterfield are now in real trouble and the Scunts are maintaining a promotion push out of an indulgent owner funding a club well beyond their crowds/  

The away following we can accommodate is a fair point, while I don't envisage us being in the Prem I could see us in the Champ getting decent away crowds and always the possibility of the cup draw. I don't think we have actually had a problem with it selling out yet though and would be surprised if we do this season tbh though would be happy to be proved wrong on this.  I guess the question would be is it worth it for those few occasions?  It probably is with the other factors but would like to see more evidence to be certain to be honest.  

As regards atmosphere at Colchester Herts Part of it may of been the mood around the place, but having studied in Colchester I was alarmed at just how out of town it was, I mean the station is on the outskirts of the town anyway, but you had to get a bus driving you further away from the town centre to a flat plain of land next to the A12 that made watching a game of football seem like the most soulless activity imaginable that a nice seat and clean toilets could not come close to compensating for.  

Plus am happy to give the club time to put the evidence all there and to be honest generally trust them as they have invested so much time and effort into the move I honestly believe they are convinced and that it is not a vanity project.  I am just aware that sometimes when you convince yourself that something is the only solution that after a while you ignore any problems or evidence contrary to your chosen solution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 2:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The clubs you mention Mickey have something else in common. At or around the time of the new ground they were taken over and/or heavily injected with cash. None of them had to think about developer income to the extent that we do with the Town ground. But even so this is all pretty irrelevant, just like our desire to have something new and shiny and long overdue for our club.

In the end it won't be possible income streams or gate receipts that decide this proposal, it will be the houses and all the other stuff the developers want to profit from if they were to build it. Sentiment will not come into it. Money will be the key.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 73
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 9, 2017, 3:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,749
Gold Stars: 177
I have to agree with what my old mate Micky has put above. The opportunity for change will be strange to a lot of people, and nobody likes change. The club need to be able to encourage home AND away support. That cannot be done at BP. That means income streams such as catering can be developed/improved. And am sure there are visiting supporters that have vowed never to return BP because of the view!

Personally I would've liked to see at least 1 double/triple tier stand to remove that 'identikit' feel. But, am Willing to leave it to the professionals as long as they consult the fans.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 73
Cloudy
February 9, 2017, 3:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

I am not against the new stadium and possibly slightly more for it than against it, it is just that I used to be convinced that we needed to move, then found myself visiting Colchester's new ground and other places of similar style thinking why the hell do we want to swap an atmospheric Blundell Park for this crap?  As a result now nervously unsure as to whether I am right or not.

Atmospheric Blundell Park??

It lost most of its atmosphere years ago
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 3:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Atmospheric Blundell Park??

It lost most of its atmosphere years ago

Compared to days of old with standing room only that is certainly true. Whether BP as all seater is more atmospheric than a new ground is possibly a bit more debatable but probably true.

Talking to a friend who is a Norwich season ticket holder, I told him the trauma there was over Town's new ground. His response was he was pleased Norwich didn't have the problem because he had yet to go to any new ground that had the same atmosphere as its predecessor. One example was Bolton, another was Leicester. Both Burnden Park and Filbert Street were what you would call "cosy" and had great presence from the crowd. It's not the size of the crowd alone that makes for the atmosphere, the ground also contributes.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Compared to days of old with standing room only that is certainly true. Whether BP as all seater is more atmospheric than a new ground is possibly a bit more debatable but probably true.

Talking to a friend who is a Norwich season ticket holder, I told him the trauma there was over Town's new ground. His response was he was pleased Norwich didn't have the problem because he had yet to go to any new ground that had the same atmosphere as its predecessor. One example was Bolton, another was Leicester. Both Burnden Park and Filbert Street were what you would call "cosy" and had great presence from the crowd. It's not the size of the crowd alone that makes for the atmosphere, the ground also contributes.

I see the point above but what do the Bolton & Leicester fans think? It's easy to get an impression when you visits once a season or once in a blue moon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 73
Swansea_Mariner
February 9, 2017, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Caesar

I always think of Hull can be considered as something of an anomaly in terms of what happened with them, a lot of other things seemed to fall into place for them that led to a very quick rise, stadium was possibly part of that but think they can be considered as an outlier, in exactly the same way Darlington got completely destroyed by their foolish move is an outlier and should not be used as a knee-jerk argument against a move.  Maybe I am just being pessemistic here but I cannot imagine Town playing in the Prem at any point in the near future so guess I am not quite seeing that but get your point that they certainly would of massively lost out if they had not been able to milk the premier league wannabe fans that came to them.

The other local clubs I suppose are interesting examples in terms of their attendence (will have a dig around to see if I can find their attendence stats if I can find time)  if they are around that figure that is impressive if they are maintaining it to be fair, however looking at their league positions since the moves I don't think either club have progressed much beyond where they were, indeed Chesterfield are now in real trouble and the Scunts are maintaining a promotion push out of an indulgent owner funding a club well beyond their crowds/  

The away following we can accommodate is a fair point, while I don't envisage us being in the Prem I could see us in the Champ getting decent away crowds and always the possibility of the cup draw. I don't think we have actually had a problem with it selling out yet though and would be surprised if we do this season tbh though would be happy to be proved wrong on this.  I guess the question would be is it worth it for those few occasions?  It probably is with the other factors but would like to see more evidence to be certain to be honest.  

As regards atmosphere at Colchester Herts Part of it may of been the mood around the place, but having studied in Colchester I was alarmed at just how out of town it was, I mean the station is on the outskirts of the town anyway, but you had to get a bus driving you further away from the town centre to a flat plain of land next to the A12 that made watching a game of football seem like the most soulless activity imaginable that a nice seat and clean toilets could not come close to compensating for.  

Plus am happy to give the club time to put the evidence all there and to be honest generally trust them as they have invested so much time and effort into the move I honestly believe they are convinced and that it is not a vanity project.  I am just aware that sometimes when you convince yourself that something is the only solution that after a while you ignore any problems or evidence contrary to your chosen solution.

Darlington are the anomaly not hull. Thier stadium was hindered by the capacity being limited due to planning regulations, so they built a 25k stadium but were only allowed 10k max attendance.

Any number of stadia could be quoted as leading to increased attendances, close to where I live Swansea's  attendances literally  doubled overnight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I see the point above but what do the Bolton & Leicester fans think? It's easy to get an impression when you visits once a season or once in a blue moon.

Well of course it does depend on your starting point Herts. I never thought Boothferry Park had great atmosphere even when full for instance but Hull fans probably wouldn't agree.

I don't know what Bolton & Leicester fans think, this was just a generic comment on new grounds and mentioning 2 in particular that he wouldn't want Norwich to emulate. Personally I went to Filbert Street many times many moons ago and the complaint I heard from fans then was always more about the pitch than the stadium, as it was at Derby.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 4:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Well of course it does depend on your starting point Herts. I never thought Boothferry Park had great atmosphere even when full for instance but Hull fans probably wouldn't agree.

I don't know what Bolton & Leicester fans think, this was just a generic comment on new grounds and mentioning 2 in particular that he wouldn't want Norwich to emulate. Personally I went to Filbert Street many times many moons ago and the complaint I heard from fans then was always more about the pitch than the stadium, as it was at Derby.

I only went to Filbert St once with Town and thought it was "of it's time" but went to The Baseball ground a couple of times and yes on both occasions the pitch was interesting to say the least.

I was living in Hull about the time that Hull City moved to the KC or KFC as Town fans liked to call it at the time. I remember most City fans where quite excited about moving especially when they found out that the nutters in the Council where selling off the City's assets to pay for it.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 4:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Darlington are the anomaly not hull. Thier stadium was hindered by the capacity being limited due to planning regulations, so they built a 25k stadium but were only allowed 10k max attendance.

Any number of stadia could be quoted as leading to increased attendances, close to where I live Swansea 's attendances litteraly doubled overnight.

I am arguing that both Hull and Darlington are anomalies as think Hulls general rise was down to other circumstances as well.  

Does anyone know a good site that lists historic average attendences, the only one I have found is laid out poorly and gives me limited confidence in their trustworthiness (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm)  If however this is correct it is true that Swansea did see a massive jump, and to be fair most grounds have seen an increase in attendence.  Will try to do a full analysis, to get at a % figure as would be of interest, my gut reaction that there wouldn't be much impact beyond a small curiosity bump seem to to be false.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 4:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

I am arguing that both Hull and Darlington are anomalies as think Hulls general rise was down to other circumstances as well.  

Does anyone know a good site that lists historic average attendences, the only one I have found is laid out poorly and gives me limited confidence in their trustworthiness (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm)  If however this is correct it is true that Swansea did see a massive jump, and to be fair most grounds have seen an increase in attendence.  Will try to do a full analysis, to get at a % figure as would be of interest, my gut reaction that there wouldn't be much impact beyond a small curiosity bump seem to to be false.  

I think it's fair to say that if Hull where still in their old ground with little chance of moving they would have not had the "interest" from the investors that have supported them towards success on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2017, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from chicaneuk

Don't forget to turn the lights off on your way out.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
Bristol Mariner
February 9, 2017, 4:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Chance of new stadium and people on here still morning. We'll not be around too long if we don't plan for the future.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
Maringer
February 9, 2017, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
I don't like the out of town stadia which is one of the reasons I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site. Flipping miles away from where I live in Cleethorpes as well!

On the other hand, I could potentially walk to the proposed Peaks Parkway site from my home though it would be around half a mile further than BP (which I'm generally too lazy to walk to in any case!).

This site is hardly out of town and would be well within walking distance for many Town fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2017, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Reagrding 'the BP' - I'm struggling to work out how we even get a safety certificate for the Main Stand with the amount of timber that's in it so, how and why would we even contemplate staying there with that impending issue?

If we, the fans, don't back it 100%, doesn't that give the NIMBYs fuel for their argument? Come on everyone, stop burying your heads in the sand and get behind a development that gives us some kind of financial future!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
Swansea_Mariner
February 9, 2017, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Caesar

If you're going to do this sort of analysis then I think you need to take a fairlly  recent starting point for going back as I don't think that developments  like the Diva or Glanford Park would count compared to proper modern stadia (maybe even sixfields)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2017, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
We will still be having this discussion in ten years time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 6:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Reagrding 'the BP' - I'm struggling to work out how we even get a safety certificate for the Main Stand with the amount of timber that's in it so, how and why would we even contemplate staying there with that impending issue?

If we, the fans, don't back it 100%, doesn't that give the NIMBYs fuel for their argument? Come on everyone, stop burying your heads in the sand and get behind a development that gives us some kind of financial future!

Exactly..........!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 6:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think it's fair to say that if Hull where still in their old ground with little chance of moving they would have not had the "interest" from the investors that have supported them towards success on the pitch.

That's possible but I would say this, Herts - Hull's rise from the bottom of Div 3 (as was) to the Prem in 5 seasons was the perfect storm scenario. It owed a lot to Adam Pearson and his financial wizardry and his decision to sell on to Duffy at just the right time plus the willingness of the council to spend so much of the KC money on the stadium with no strings, again orchestrated by Pearson who owned SMC the management company which held a lease on the stadium at nominal rent. Incidentally the stadium has so far made about £50k profit for Hull Council over about 13 years.

Gate receipts must be higher no doubt than they would have been but financially the benefit of the stadium was in Pearson's cleverness. The 50 year lease allowed the owners to borrow against it. The downside is that servicing debt is the running problem the Allams have had ever since they took over.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 7:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker

That's possible but I would say this, Herts - Hull's rise from the bottom of Div 3 (as was) to the Prem in 5 seasons was the perfect storm scenario. It owed a lot to Adam Pearson and his financial wizardry and his decision to sell on to Duffy at just the right time plus the willingness of the council to spend so much of the KC money on the stadium with no strings, again orchestrated by Pearson who owned SMC the management company which held a lease on the stadium at nominal rent. Incidentally the stadium has so far made about £50k profit for Hull Council over about 13 years.

Gate receipts must be higher no doubt than they would have been but financially the benefit of the stadium was in Pearson's cleverness. The 50 year lease allowed the owners to borrow against it. The downside is that servicing debt is the running problem the Allams have had ever since they took over.

Indeed RRFC, Adam Pearson is an interesting character he has the knack of being able to please all of the people most of the time and you are right Hull City benefited from his stewardship as did Hull F.C. Is that right the stadium has made £50K in 13 years for the council?

Back to GTFC at the end of the day a new stadium is inevitable and to make it work it can't be a football ground alone. As per my post above for romantic homesick feelings I would like it to be around the Freemo area but understand why it won't be. It's a shame as if it was the whole thing could support a real legacy project going forward.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
realist
February 9, 2017, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,665
Gold Stars: 40
If I owned a major housebuilding company,  what would  make me interested  in this project?
The national housing shortage is regularly in the news  and the government has committed to making more land readily available to house builders. Why would they spend £100 million here to build a stadium to get their housing project when they could  do it for nothing elsewhere.
Just curious how this works.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from realist
If I owned a major housebuilding company,  what would  make me interested  in this project?
The national housing shortage is regularly in the news  and the government has committed to making more land readily available to house builders. Why would they spend £100 million here to build a stadium to get their housing project when they could  do it for nothing elsewhere.

Possibly a question for the next consultation or if there is some form of open council debate kind of thing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
BottesfordMariner
February 9, 2017, 9:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I like the design. It is a bit different to many other stadiums around.  I reckon it could create a decent atmosphere.

BP holds lots of memories for us all but the opportunities to redevelop it are limited and probably beyond the clubs means financially.It would be barely fit for purpose in a few years. Sometimes you have to move in order  to grow.

I had some misgivings when Manchester City left Maine Road. The old ground had many memories for me (good and bad.....Raddy Antic scoring for Luton in '83.........the fiasco v Liverpool in '95....were particular lows for but the 5-1 humiliation of United in '89 more than made up for them).

But the new stadium feels like home now....the facilities light years ahead of the crumbling old ground. And the team creates new memories in it.

I am sue it would be the same for Town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 9:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Indeed RRFC, Adam Pearson is an interesting character he has the knack of being able to please all of the people most of the time and you are right Hull City benefited from his stewardship as did Hull F.C. Is that right the stadium has made £50K in 13 years for the council?

Back to GTFC at the end of the day a new stadium is inevitable and to make it work it can't be a football ground alone. As per my post above for romantic homesick feelings I would like it to be around the Freemo area but understand why it won't be. It's a shame as if it was the whole thing could support a real legacy project going forward.

Yes £50k is about right. Not a lot is it? But not a loss. The contract said that the council would get 5% of any pre-tax profit made by SMC. It's not too hard to work out that SMC hasn't made a fortune out of it either. Certainly not enough to finance anything much. This was why Duffy used the lease to borrow against and that's what funded Phil Parkinson and Phil Brown's transfer "bargains". What should have happened then was that the Prem telly money should have paid off the loans but instead they signed some real "quality" didn't they? By 2010 the wage bill was absolutely massive and Duffy had resigned.

But what does this mean for Town? Well most clubs that get a brand new ground tend to overspend probably because they are free of the overheads of their old ground. Very few new grounds make money though. Doncaster's took 10 years before it made one and drove the council to distraction dealing with the losses. They also seem to raise unreasonable expectations. "We have a 12,000 capacity, why can't we fill it?" sort of thing. Sometimes they seem like a millstone. Remember Southampton failed to win at their new ground for months and months? Chesterfield are in trouble despite theirs. But other clubs springboarded like Scunthorpe with good financial management.

Would New Blundell Park be a springboard for Town? I think that is doubtful but a new ground would be a resource to help us take advantage if progress through the leagues came along and that would be the best way to look at it. The less the club has to do with management and finance of it the better.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2017, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist

It's a fair question (don't know why you got the red crosses). The answer is that the stadium is a quid pro quo. You would be much less likely to get the permission for the housing without the stadium. The land is less likely to be available as most of it is owned by the council.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Yes £50k is about right. Not a lot is it? But not a loss. The contract said that the council would get 5% of any pre-tax profit made by SMC. It's not too hard to work out that SMC hasn't made a fortune out of it either. Certainly not enough to finance anything much. This was why Duffy used the lease to borrow against and that's what funded Phil Parkinson and Phil Brown's transfer "bargains". What should have happened then was that the Prem telly money should have paid off the loans but instead they signed some real "quality" didn't they? By 2010 the wage bill was absolutely massive and Duffy had resigned.

But what does this mean for Town? Well most clubs that get a brand new ground tend to overspend probably because they are free of the overheads of their old ground. Very few new grounds make money though. Doncaster's took 10 years before it made one and drove the council to distraction dealing with the losses. They also seem to raise unreasonable expectations. "We have a 12,000 capacity, why can't we fill it?" sort of thing. Sometimes they seem like a millstone. Remember Southampton failed to win at their new ground for months and months? Chesterfield are in trouble despite theirs. But other clubs springboarded like Scunthorpe with good financial management.

Would New Blundell Park be a springboard for Town? I think that is doubtful but a new ground would be a resource to help us take advantage if progress through the leagues came along and that would be the best way to look at it. The less the club has to do with management and finance of it the better.

Thanks for taking the time on this RRFC some good stuff on this and other posts on the thread, agree leave the financial stuff to the bean counters, building it to the builders and footballing to the footballers I reckon.

UTM!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
The best use of the "conference" facilities or at least one of the uses, is the way Chesterfield have used it for community facilities.
I understand they have a huge crèche. This brings in good income, unites families behind the club and their services are in huge demand. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Town to consider
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 11:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
The best use of the "conference" facilities or at least one of the uses, is the way Chesterfield have used it for community facilities.
I understand they have a huge crèche. This brings in good income, unites families behind the club and their services are in huge demand. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Town to consider

Cloudy - Chesterfield is on the edge of folding up! It has no income. The amount that a ground brings in is never going to do more than pay a bit towards the upkeep. People need to forget about that as a plus point. For the club the only good thing about a new ground is having somewhere nice to play. The rest is irrelevant eyewash. That's why I say the club should stay clear of anything to do with managing the ancillary bits of the stadium. The amount of income just ain't worth the bother.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
jock dock tower
February 10, 2017, 11:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Have the club ever considered recreating the thrill of having the north easterlies blowing directly on to your gonads as happens in the Findus Stand? It would surely bring more folk into the "move" camp, and shed one or two tears of delight amongst the traditionalists who want to move but don't want to miss the thrill of actually being at BP.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
Ipswin
February 10, 2017, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC
. I did not go to Colchester but was the lack of atmosphere due to them being relegated last term or the environment..

I think the open corners and roof angles contribute to the lack of atmosphere plus of course the fact that the place was half (or more) empty. The bar restaurant and conference facilities are excellent tho'. Yes its a bit out of town but its location next to the A12 is good - just like G Coates would have been.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker

Cloudy - Chesterfield is on the edge of folding up! It has no income. The amount that a ground brings in is never going to do more than pay a bit towards the upkeep. People need to forget about that as a plus point. For the club the only good thing about a new ground is having somewhere nice to play. The rest is irrelevant eyewash. That's why I say the club should stay clear of anything to do with managing the ancillary bits of the stadium. The amount of income just ain't worth the bother.

Chesterfield a problems are more to do with expenditure on players and staff, living the dream if you wish.
I was not suggesting Town run the crech, just let out the space for all day income. Little effort and every penny goes towards upkeep.

I am not JF's biggest fan but I am Sure he will keep a tight reign on expenditure
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
Maringer
February 10, 2017, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I think the open corners and roof angles contribute to the lack of atmosphere plus of course the fact that the place was half (or more) empty. The bar restaurant and conference facilities are excellent tho'. Yes its a bit out of town but its location next to the A12 is good - just like G Coates would have been.

Good, unless you're a Colchester fan living to the south of the town.

Clubs generally grew up in the centre of towns and moving the stadia out can't help but separate the club from the community. If at all possible, I think you should keep your club based as near to the centre of town as possible and this is why I'm much happier with the Peaks Parkway site than the Great Coates one. Not everyone has access to a car (or wants to use it if they are having a few pints on the way to the game) and, let's face it, public transport tends to be pretty rubbish these days as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Chesterfield a problems are more to do with expenditure on players and staff, living the dream if you wish.
I was not suggesting Town run the crech, just let out the space for all day income. Little effort and every penny goes towards upkeep.

I am not JF's biggest fan but I am Sure he will keep a tight reign on expenditure

The way it works isn't like that though. The club does not own the ground. In fact the actual design of the buildings only has input from the club, not instructions. The ownership will go with the council or more likely with the private developer who builds it. This is what the council did with Freshney Place many moons ago and why the police have no right of access in there.

A separate company will be formed to manage the stadium.The club might be that company but more likely the club will remain as it is but be a part of the company as at Hull and will lease the ground. It is important to keep the club and the stadium separate in case one or the other goes bust. There were arguments about this at York and if they had not been separate at Doncaster for example, the club would have been responsible for paying off 10 years or more of losses from their new stadium. I'm sure there will be other ways of doing the same thing that we don't know about yet.

I'm not being funny writing this down, it is fact of life stuff about this kind of new development. People need to realise a new ground is a very complicated issue. There's a lot more to it than calling people names and picking a nice site like some folks (not you!) do. You may well be right about JF and finances Cloudy but certainly it will need someone very trustworthy and high calibre.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker

The way it works isn't like that though. The club does not own the ground. In fact the actual design of the buildings only has input from the club, not instructions. The ownership will go with the council or more likely with the private developer who builds it. This is what the council did with Freshney Place many moons ago and why the police have no right of access in there.

A separate company will be formed to manage the stadium.The club might be that company but more likely the club will remain as it is but be a part of the company as at Hull and will lease the ground. It is important to keep the club and the stadium separate in case one or the other goes bust. There were arguments about this at York and if they had not been separate at Doncaster for example, the club would have been responsible for paying off 10 years or more of losses from their new stadium. I'm sure there will be other ways of doing the same thing that we don't know about yet.

I'm not being funny writing this down, it is fact of life stuff about this kind of new development. People need to realise a new ground is a very complicated issue. There's a lot more to it than calling people names and picking a nice site like some folks (not you!) do. You may well be right about JF and finances Cloudy but certainly it will need someone very trustworthy and high calibre.

I had always assumed the ground would be owned by a management company with the shareholders including the council, possibility the club or JF amongst others. The football club then pay a nominal rent for say 100 years.

That doesn't mean we should not pursue income from other sources IF we can ensure the club benefit in some shape or form? I think we NEED to care about all aspects of the proposal and I am sure the proposal is very complicated and the importance of getting everything right is vital.

I wasn't aware that the Police have to have permission to enter Freshney a Place? I'm as far away from a shopper as you could find but I am Sure I have seen them in there ??

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2017, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
I have long since lost interest locally with the setbacks to York not getting a new stadium.  The saga has gone on as long as ours .  A lot of politics, business, and contract disputes.  Not to mention theCouncil's ineptitude.

It is a long, difficult and complex project.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 2:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

I had always assumed the ground would be owned by a management company with the shareholders including the council, possibility the club or JF amongst others. The football club then pay a nominal rent for say 100 years.

That doesn't mean we should not pursue income from other sources IF we can ensure the club benefit in some shape or form? I think we NEED to care about all aspects of the proposal and I am sure the proposal is very complicated and the importance of getting everything right is vital.

I wasn't aware that the Police have to have permission to enter Freshney a Place? I'm as far away from a shopper as you could find but I am Sure I have seen them in there ??

The police don't have right of access to patrol. They can only go in by invitation, I think even to apprehend shoplifters, unless there was some sort of emergency alert of course.

Your management model might be the one that they take up. I think Hull's lease is 50 years. A lot will depend on the profit developers expect from the extras, the housing and retail and what part Extreme want in the finished scheme.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
lee65
February 10, 2017, 2:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,442
Gold Stars: 8
I thought the Colchester stadium was good, but showed the issue with any decent size (10,000 seat +) new venue if you are only able to less than half fill it.
It is virtually impossible to get a decent "loud" atmosphere, not as bad as the old (new) Darlo ground with just the ends open and only 2500 there though  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
Mighty_Mariner
February 10, 2017, 3:05pm
Pontoonite
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,238
Gold Stars: 10
Just out of interest... do the club own the land BP is built on? If so surely they'd also make a small fortune selling that on?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 3:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Just out of interest... do the club own the land BP is built on? If so surely they'd also make a small fortune selling that on?

Doubt there is much value in it tbh?

Once demolition costs are taken into account there won't be a lot left. BP can only really be used for low cost housing in keeping with the surroundings
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 3:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Once demolition costs are taken into account there won't be a lot left. BP can only really be used for low cost housing in keeping with the surroundings

I don't know. There was enough value in the Darley's site to attract development and apparently the Imp as well.

The Main Stand will fall down with a a good shove won't it?   The Findus is the problem I would think.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 73
Maringer
February 10, 2017, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I reckon the Main Stand would probably outlive the Findus! The wooden structure is so weathered it's as tough as steel and the construction of the Findus looks distinctly shonky to me.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 73
Nelly GTFC
February 10, 2017, 4:43pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Fairhurst Design Group are the architect's behind Salford’s MediaCityUK and Manchester United’s training ground.

Architects website, quite impressive >> http://www.fairhursts.com/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2017, 5:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

You would be surprised, usually depends on what outlying planning permission you can get.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 73
TheRealJohnLewis
February 10, 2017, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Just please don't let it be a bowl.  
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 73
TheRealJohnLewis
February 10, 2017, 5:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

According to the financial statements, (if I have read correctly) the land and building is valued at £377,000 on page 19.

http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts2/accounts2016/#/20
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 73
Posh Harry
February 10, 2017, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

According to the financial statements, (if I have read correctly) the land and building is valued at £377,000 on page 19.

http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts2/accounts2016/#/20

That will depend on when that valuation was taken. It could have been donkeys years ago meaning the figure is 'irrelevant' compared to today's figure. Property valuations don't need to be updated very often in company accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 73
Grantham_Mariner
February 10, 2017, 5:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,124
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You would be surprised, usually depends on what outlying planning permission you can get.

Do we know anyone on the council who can put a word in..........?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 73
Dan
February 10, 2017, 5:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I mean, you could fit...say 50 houses / flats on the site at say, 80 grand each? That's 4 million boys.  Now let's take into account the cost of construction... let's say 1.5 million, and the cost of demolition, let's say another 1.5 million. This means Blundell Park is worth approximately 1 Omar Bogle.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 73
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2017, 6:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Dan
I mean, you could fit...say [undisclosed] houses / flats on the site at say, [undisclosed] each? That's [50 x undisclosed] boys.  Now let's take into account the cost of construction... let's say [£30000xundisclosed], and the cost of demolition, let's say another 1.5 million. This means Blundell Park is worth approximately 1 Omar Bogle.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 73
Trawler
February 11, 2017, 6:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Posh Harry

That will depend on when that valuation was taken. It could have been donkeys years ago meaning the figure is 'irrelevant' compared to today's figure. Property valuations don't need to be updated very often in company accounts.

I asked JF about the value of BP at the open meeting at Peakes Parkway. He said his best guess was £750,000 with demolition costs of £500,000.

There's no major windfall in the sale of BP.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 10:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
By the time we actually leave any valuation would have changed as it's still a matter of years rather than months before an exit.

I don't believe for a minute that there is not a developer lined up to take the land and what they will pay remains to be seen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 73
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.