Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

This thread currently has 13,839 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I see the point above but what do the Bolton & Leicester fans think? It's easy to get an impression when you visits once a season or once in a blue moon.

Well of course it does depend on your starting point Herts. I never thought Boothferry Park had great atmosphere even when full for instance but Hull fans probably wouldn't agree.

I don't know what Bolton & Leicester fans think, this was just a generic comment on new grounds and mentioning 2 in particular that he wouldn't want Norwich to emulate. Personally I went to Filbert Street many times many moons ago and the complaint I heard from fans then was always more about the pitch than the stadium, as it was at Derby.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 4:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217

Well of course it does depend on your starting point Herts. I never thought Boothferry Park had great atmosphere even when full for instance but Hull fans probably wouldn't agree.

I don't know what Bolton & Leicester fans think, this was just a generic comment on new grounds and mentioning 2 in particular that he wouldn't want Norwich to emulate. Personally I went to Filbert Street many times many moons ago and the complaint I heard from fans then was always more about the pitch than the stadium, as it was at Derby.

I only went to Filbert St once with Town and thought it was "of it's time" but went to The Baseball ground a couple of times and yes on both occasions the pitch was interesting to say the least.

I was living in Hull about the time that Hull City moved to the KC or KFC as Town fans liked to call it at the time. I remember most City fans where quite excited about moving especially when they found out that the nutters in the Council where selling off the City's assets to pay for it.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 4:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Darlington are the anomaly not hull. Thier stadium was hindered by the capacity being limited due to planning regulations, so they built a 25k stadium but were only allowed 10k max attendance.

Any number of stadia could be quoted as leading to increased attendances, close to where I live Swansea 's attendances litteraly doubled overnight.

I am arguing that both Hull and Darlington are anomalies as think Hulls general rise was down to other circumstances as well.  

Does anyone know a good site that lists historic average attendences, the only one I have found is laid out poorly and gives me limited confidence in their trustworthiness (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm)  If however this is correct it is true that Swansea did see a massive jump, and to be fair most grounds have seen an increase in attendence.  Will try to do a full analysis, to get at a % figure as would be of interest, my gut reaction that there wouldn't be much impact beyond a small curiosity bump seem to to be false.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 4:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Caesar

I am arguing that both Hull and Darlington are anomalies as think Hulls general rise was down to other circumstances as well.  

Does anyone know a good site that lists historic average attendences, the only one I have found is laid out poorly and gives me limited confidence in their trustworthiness (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm)  If however this is correct it is true that Swansea did see a massive jump, and to be fair most grounds have seen an increase in attendence.  Will try to do a full analysis, to get at a % figure as would be of interest, my gut reaction that there wouldn't be much impact beyond a small curiosity bump seem to to be false.  

I think it's fair to say that if Hull where still in their old ground with little chance of moving they would have not had the "interest" from the investors that have supported them towards success on the pitch.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2017, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from chicaneuk
I know we need to move to a better, more modern ground but.. can I just say regarding this line from the article:

"The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers."

Great - another generic, soulless, cookie-cutter clone of every other out-of-town entertainment complex as you might find up and down the country with the same chain restraurants and bars. Honestly I'd rather we stayed at Blundell Park. At least the ground has history and character.

Don't forget to turn the lights off on your way out.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
Bristol Mariner
February 9, 2017, 4:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Chance of new stadium and people on here still morning. We'll not be around too long if we don't plan for the future.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
Maringer
February 9, 2017, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
I don't like the out of town stadia which is one of the reasons I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site. Flipping miles away from where I live in Cleethorpes as well!

On the other hand, I could potentially walk to the proposed Peaks Parkway site from my home though it would be around half a mile further than BP (which I'm generally too lazy to walk to in any case!).

This site is hardly out of town and would be well within walking distance for many Town fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2017, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Reagrding 'the BP' - I'm struggling to work out how we even get a safety certificate for the Main Stand with the amount of timber that's in it so, how and why would we even contemplate staying there with that impending issue?

If we, the fans, don't back it 100%, doesn't that give the NIMBYs fuel for their argument? Come on everyone, stop burying your heads in the sand and get behind a development that gives us some kind of financial future!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
Swansea_Mariner
February 9, 2017, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Caesar

If you're going to do this sort of analysis then I think you need to take a fairlly  recent starting point for going back as I don't think that developments  like the Diva or Glanford Park would count compared to proper modern stadia (maybe even sixfields)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2017, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
We will still be having this discussion in ten years time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.