Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

This thread currently has 13,846 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 11:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cloudy
The best use of the "conference" facilities or at least one of the uses, is the way Chesterfield have used it for community facilities.
I understand they have a huge crèche. This brings in good income, unites families behind the club and their services are in huge demand. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Town to consider

Cloudy - Chesterfield is on the edge of folding up! It has no income. The amount that a ground brings in is never going to do more than pay a bit towards the upkeep. People need to forget about that as a plus point. For the club the only good thing about a new ground is having somewhere nice to play. The rest is irrelevant eyewash. That's why I say the club should stay clear of anything to do with managing the ancillary bits of the stadium. The amount of income just ain't worth the bother.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
jock dock tower
February 10, 2017, 11:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Have the club ever considered recreating the thrill of having the north easterlies blowing directly on to your gonads as happens in the Findus Stand? It would surely bring more folk into the "move" camp, and shed one or two tears of delight amongst the traditionalists who want to move but don't want to miss the thrill of actually being at BP.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
Ipswin
February 10, 2017, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC
. I did not go to Colchester but was the lack of atmosphere due to them being relegated last term or the environment..

I think the open corners and roof angles contribute to the lack of atmosphere plus of course the fact that the place was half (or more) empty. The bar restaurant and conference facilities are excellent tho'. Yes its a bit out of town but its location next to the A12 is good - just like G Coates would have been.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Cloudy - Chesterfield is on the edge of folding up! It has no income. The amount that a ground brings in is never going to do more than pay a bit towards the upkeep. People need to forget about that as a plus point. For the club the only good thing about a new ground is having somewhere nice to play. The rest is irrelevant eyewash. That's why I say the club should stay clear of anything to do with managing the ancillary bits of the stadium. The amount of income just ain't worth the bother.

Chesterfield a problems are more to do with expenditure on players and staff, living the dream if you wish.
I was not suggesting Town run the crech, just let out the space for all day income. Little effort and every penny goes towards upkeep.

I am not JF's biggest fan but I am Sure he will keep a tight reign on expenditure
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
Maringer
February 10, 2017, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,075
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from Ipswin

I think the open corners and roof angles contribute to the lack of atmosphere plus of course the fact that the place was half (or more) empty. The bar restaurant and conference facilities are excellent tho'. Yes its a bit out of town but its location next to the A12 is good - just like G Coates would have been.

Good, unless you're a Colchester fan living to the south of the town.

Clubs generally grew up in the centre of towns and moving the stadia out can't help but separate the club from the community. If at all possible, I think you should keep your club based as near to the centre of town as possible and this is why I'm much happier with the Peaks Parkway site than the Great Coates one. Not everyone has access to a car (or wants to use it if they are having a few pints on the way to the game) and, let's face it, public transport tends to be pretty rubbish these days as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Chesterfield a problems are more to do with expenditure on players and staff, living the dream if you wish.
I was not suggesting Town run the crech, just let out the space for all day income. Little effort and every penny goes towards upkeep.

I am not JF's biggest fan but I am Sure he will keep a tight reign on expenditure

The way it works isn't like that though. The club does not own the ground. In fact the actual design of the buildings only has input from the club, not instructions. The ownership will go with the council or more likely with the private developer who builds it. This is what the council did with Freshney Place many moons ago and why the police have no right of access in there.

A separate company will be formed to manage the stadium.The club might be that company but more likely the club will remain as it is but be a part of the company as at Hull and will lease the ground. It is important to keep the club and the stadium separate in case one or the other goes bust. There were arguments about this at York and if they had not been separate at Doncaster for example, the club would have been responsible for paying off 10 years or more of losses from their new stadium. I'm sure there will be other ways of doing the same thing that we don't know about yet.

I'm not being funny writing this down, it is fact of life stuff about this kind of new development. People need to realise a new ground is a very complicated issue. There's a lot more to it than calling people names and picking a nice site like some folks (not you!) do. You may well be right about JF and finances Cloudy but certainly it will need someone very trustworthy and high calibre.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 1:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

The way it works isn't like that though. The club does not own the ground. In fact the actual design of the buildings only has input from the club, not instructions. The ownership will go with the council or more likely with the private developer who builds it. This is what the council did with Freshney Place many moons ago and why the police have no right of access in there.

A separate company will be formed to manage the stadium.The club might be that company but more likely the club will remain as it is but be a part of the company as at Hull and will lease the ground. It is important to keep the club and the stadium separate in case one or the other goes bust. There were arguments about this at York and if they had not been separate at Doncaster for example, the club would have been responsible for paying off 10 years or more of losses from their new stadium. I'm sure there will be other ways of doing the same thing that we don't know about yet.

I'm not being funny writing this down, it is fact of life stuff about this kind of new development. People need to realise a new ground is a very complicated issue. There's a lot more to it than calling people names and picking a nice site like some folks (not you!) do. You may well be right about JF and finances Cloudy but certainly it will need someone very trustworthy and high calibre.

I had always assumed the ground would be owned by a management company with the shareholders including the council, possibility the club or JF amongst others. The football club then pay a nominal rent for say 100 years.

That doesn't mean we should not pursue income from other sources IF we can ensure the club benefit in some shape or form? I think we NEED to care about all aspects of the proposal and I am sure the proposal is very complicated and the importance of getting everything right is vital.

I wasn't aware that the Police have to have permission to enter Freshney a Place? I'm as far away from a shopper as you could find but I am Sure I have seen them in there ??

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2017, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
I have long since lost interest locally with the setbacks to York not getting a new stadium.  The saga has gone on as long as ours .  A lot of politics, business, and contract disputes.  Not to mention theCouncil's ineptitude.

It is a long, difficult and complex project.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2017, 2:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

I had always assumed the ground would be owned by a management company with the shareholders including the council, possibility the club or JF amongst others. The football club then pay a nominal rent for say 100 years.

That doesn't mean we should not pursue income from other sources IF we can ensure the club benefit in some shape or form? I think we NEED to care about all aspects of the proposal and I am sure the proposal is very complicated and the importance of getting everything right is vital.

I wasn't aware that the Police have to have permission to enter Freshney a Place? I'm as far away from a shopper as you could find but I am Sure I have seen them in there ??

The police don't have right of access to patrol. They can only go in by invitation, I think even to apprehend shoplifters, unless there was some sort of emergency alert of course.

Your management model might be the one that they take up. I think Hull's lease is 50 years. A lot will depend on the profit developers expect from the extras, the housing and retail and what part Extreme want in the finished scheme.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
lee65
February 10, 2017, 2:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,442
Gold Stars: 8
I thought the Colchester stadium was good, but showed the issue with any decent size (10,000 seat +) new venue if you are only able to less than half fill it.
It is virtually impossible to get a decent "loud" atmosphere, not as bad as the old (new) Darlo ground with just the ends open and only 2500 there though  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.