Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

This thread currently has 13,838 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 6:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Reagrding 'the BP' - I'm struggling to work out how we even get a safety certificate for the Main Stand with the amount of timber that's in it so, how and why would we even contemplate staying there with that impending issue?

If we, the fans, don't back it 100%, doesn't that give the NIMBYs fuel for their argument? Come on everyone, stop burying your heads in the sand and get behind a development that gives us some kind of financial future!

Exactly..........!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 6:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think it's fair to say that if Hull where still in their old ground with little chance of moving they would have not had the "interest" from the investors that have supported them towards success on the pitch.

That's possible but I would say this, Herts - Hull's rise from the bottom of Div 3 (as was) to the Prem in 5 seasons was the perfect storm scenario. It owed a lot to Adam Pearson and his financial wizardry and his decision to sell on to Duffy at just the right time plus the willingness of the council to spend so much of the KC money on the stadium with no strings, again orchestrated by Pearson who owned SMC the management company which held a lease on the stadium at nominal rent. Incidentally the stadium has so far made about £50k profit for Hull Council over about 13 years.

Gate receipts must be higher no doubt than they would have been but financially the benefit of the stadium was in Pearson's cleverness. The 50 year lease allowed the owners to borrow against it. The downside is that servicing debt is the running problem the Allams have had ever since they took over.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 7:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker

That's possible but I would say this, Herts - Hull's rise from the bottom of Div 3 (as was) to the Prem in 5 seasons was the perfect storm scenario. It owed a lot to Adam Pearson and his financial wizardry and his decision to sell on to Duffy at just the right time plus the willingness of the council to spend so much of the KC money on the stadium with no strings, again orchestrated by Pearson who owned SMC the management company which held a lease on the stadium at nominal rent. Incidentally the stadium has so far made about £50k profit for Hull Council over about 13 years.

Gate receipts must be higher no doubt than they would have been but financially the benefit of the stadium was in Pearson's cleverness. The 50 year lease allowed the owners to borrow against it. The downside is that servicing debt is the running problem the Allams have had ever since they took over.

Indeed RRFC, Adam Pearson is an interesting character he has the knack of being able to please all of the people most of the time and you are right Hull City benefited from his stewardship as did Hull F.C. Is that right the stadium has made £50K in 13 years for the council?

Back to GTFC at the end of the day a new stadium is inevitable and to make it work it can't be a football ground alone. As per my post above for romantic homesick feelings I would like it to be around the Freemo area but understand why it won't be. It's a shame as if it was the whole thing could support a real legacy project going forward.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
realist
February 9, 2017, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,665
Gold Stars: 40
If I owned a major housebuilding company,  what would  make me interested  in this project?
The national housing shortage is regularly in the news  and the government has committed to making more land readily available to house builders. Why would they spend £100 million here to build a stadium to get their housing project when they could  do it for nothing elsewhere.
Just curious how this works.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from realist
If I owned a major housebuilding company,  what would  make me interested  in this project?
The national housing shortage is regularly in the news  and the government has committed to making more land readily available to house builders. Why would they spend £100 million here to build a stadium to get their housing project when they could  do it for nothing elsewhere.

Possibly a question for the next consultation or if there is some form of open council debate kind of thing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
BottesfordMariner
February 9, 2017, 9:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I like the design. It is a bit different to many other stadiums around.  I reckon it could create a decent atmosphere.

BP holds lots of memories for us all but the opportunities to redevelop it are limited and probably beyond the clubs means financially.It would be barely fit for purpose in a few years. Sometimes you have to move in order  to grow.

I had some misgivings when Manchester City left Maine Road. The old ground had many memories for me (good and bad.....Raddy Antic scoring for Luton in '83.........the fiasco v Liverpool in '95....were particular lows for but the 5-1 humiliation of United in '89 more than made up for them).

But the new stadium feels like home now....the facilities light years ahead of the crumbling old ground. And the team creates new memories in it.

I am sue it would be the same for Town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 9, 2017, 9:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Indeed RRFC, Adam Pearson is an interesting character he has the knack of being able to please all of the people most of the time and you are right Hull City benefited from his stewardship as did Hull F.C. Is that right the stadium has made £50K in 13 years for the council?

Back to GTFC at the end of the day a new stadium is inevitable and to make it work it can't be a football ground alone. As per my post above for romantic homesick feelings I would like it to be around the Freemo area but understand why it won't be. It's a shame as if it was the whole thing could support a real legacy project going forward.

Yes £50k is about right. Not a lot is it? But not a loss. The contract said that the council would get 5% of any pre-tax profit made by SMC. It's not too hard to work out that SMC hasn't made a fortune out of it either. Certainly not enough to finance anything much. This was why Duffy used the lease to borrow against and that's what funded Phil Parkinson and Phil Brown's transfer "bargains". What should have happened then was that the Prem telly money should have paid off the loans but instead they signed some real "quality" didn't they? By 2010 the wage bill was absolutely massive and Duffy had resigned.

But what does this mean for Town? Well most clubs that get a brand new ground tend to overspend probably because they are free of the overheads of their old ground. Very few new grounds make money though. Doncaster's took 10 years before it made one and drove the council to distraction dealing with the losses. They also seem to raise unreasonable expectations. "We have a 12,000 capacity, why can't we fill it?" sort of thing. Sometimes they seem like a millstone. Remember Southampton failed to win at their new ground for months and months? Chesterfield are in trouble despite theirs. But other clubs springboarded like Scunthorpe with good financial management.

Would New Blundell Park be a springboard for Town? I think that is doubtful but a new ground would be a resource to help us take advantage if progress through the leagues came along and that would be the best way to look at it. The less the club has to do with management and finance of it the better.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2017, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist

It's a fair question (don't know why you got the red crosses). The answer is that the stadium is a quid pro quo. You would be much less likely to get the permission for the housing without the stadium. The land is less likely to be available as most of it is owned by the council.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Yes £50k is about right. Not a lot is it? But not a loss. The contract said that the council would get 5% of any pre-tax profit made by SMC. It's not too hard to work out that SMC hasn't made a fortune out of it either. Certainly not enough to finance anything much. This was why Duffy used the lease to borrow against and that's what funded Phil Parkinson and Phil Brown's transfer "bargains". What should have happened then was that the Prem telly money should have paid off the loans but instead they signed some real "quality" didn't they? By 2010 the wage bill was absolutely massive and Duffy had resigned.

But what does this mean for Town? Well most clubs that get a brand new ground tend to overspend probably because they are free of the overheads of their old ground. Very few new grounds make money though. Doncaster's took 10 years before it made one and drove the council to distraction dealing with the losses. They also seem to raise unreasonable expectations. "We have a 12,000 capacity, why can't we fill it?" sort of thing. Sometimes they seem like a millstone. Remember Southampton failed to win at their new ground for months and months? Chesterfield are in trouble despite theirs. But other clubs springboarded like Scunthorpe with good financial management.

Would New Blundell Park be a springboard for Town? I think that is doubtful but a new ground would be a resource to help us take advantage if progress through the leagues came along and that would be the best way to look at it. The less the club has to do with management and finance of it the better.

Thanks for taking the time on this RRFC some good stuff on this and other posts on the thread, agree leave the financial stuff to the bean counters, building it to the builders and footballing to the footballers I reckon.

UTM!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The best use of the "conference" facilities or at least one of the uses, is the way Chesterfield have used it for community facilities.
I understand they have a huge crèche. This brings in good income, unites families behind the club and their services are in huge demand. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Town to consider
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.