Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

This thread currently has 13,841 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 9, 2017, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
The brief above said that "The level of investment for the Stadium & Leisure Project and enabling developments are expected to be in excess of £250 million, with the number of full-time jobs created in excess of 600 full-time positions excluding construction based on the design and facility mix.

How did they get the different investment elements to add up to over £250 million? And where is all this money coming from, unless the total is enhanced by some creative accounting.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 12:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from chicaneuk
I know we need to move to a better, more modern ground but.. can I just say regarding this line from the article:

"The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers."

Great - another generic, soulless, cookie-cutter clone of every other out-of-town entertainment complex as you might find up and down the country with the same chain restraurants and bars. Honestly I'd rather we stayed at Blundell Park. At least the ground has history and character.

And as well as character ...............Inadequate catering, bars, toilets, viewing, seating, dressing rooms, hospitality, parking, construction, disabled access, ticketing operation, advertising space and club shop but apart from that it's great.

The site is actually "in the Town" and not "out of town" is that not why the Nimbys are getting upset? Take a good luck at this kind of thing as if done right and grown in the correct way a development like this can add real value to a community.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 73
Davec
February 9, 2017, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from chicaneuk
I know we need to move to a better, more modern ground but.. can I just say regarding this line from the article:

"The current facility mix being considered includes the following, a state-of-the-art 14,000 capacity football stadium, a new ice rink facility, additional sports and leisure facilities, retail and food & beverage offers."

Great - another generic, soulless, cookie-cutter clone of every other out-of-town entertainment complex as you might find up and down the country with the same chain restraurants and bars. Honestly I'd rather we stayed at Blundell Park. At least the ground has history and character.

I think we would all love to stay at Blundell Park and redevelop it, but the sad reality is that it would cost millions and millions to properly redevelop Blundell Park and we aren't going to see a return on the money, the fact is that Blundell Park is surrounded by housing and think of those compulsory purchase orders on all those houses! Would never happen.

The sad unfortunate fact is that we need to move to allow us to develop and grow as a club, it'll be a sad day when we all watch our final game at Blundell Park but Its what is needed to allow the club to grow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 73
Caesar
February 9, 2017, 1:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from Hagrid

use some common sense, the club will die if it stays at BP, there is nothing to progress us as a club there

I hear this argument a lot but can you explain to me why we will die if we stay at Blundell Park?  I mean I think I understand the reasoning that by moving to a new stadium we can get income from the ground on non-match days by hosting corporate and community events and they like, but I don't see how us not moving is going to cause us to die?  

I mean it seems to me that over the past 20 years since we have been discussing the move the club has had some very poor times in terms of where we found ourselves in the football pyramid but have found a very loyal and committed fanbase that has actually grown in recent years, I don't think there are any points where we would be coming close to extinction.  I also fail to see how if we had moved to Great Coates and a new stadium all those years ago we would have had more success on the pitch, is there a reason we actually should of?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 73
psgmariner
February 9, 2017, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Caesar

I hear this argument a lot but can you explain to me why we will die if we stay at Blundell Park?  I mean I think I understand the reasoning that by moving to a new stadium we can get income from the ground on non-match days by hosting corporate and community events and they like, but I don't see how us not moving is going to cause us to die?  

We will make millions of pounds every week from conferences. People are currently having to have conferences in car parks, fields, bus shelters etc. The Extreme Fenty Dome will solve this local conferencing crisis.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 73
chicaneuk
February 9, 2017, 1:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,438
Gold Stars: 5
I understand the reasons and the limitations of staying at Blundell Park. I just think these modern grounds are all the same.. complete and utter pants. I hope if it does go ahead, they try and do something a little different at least with the retail offerings etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 73
ginnywings
February 9, 2017, 1:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Quoted from Caesar

I mean it seems to me that over the past 20 years since we have been discussing the move the club has had some very poor times in terms of where we found ourselves in the football pyramid but have found a very loyal and committed fanbase that has actually grown in recent years, I don't think there are any points where we would be coming close to extinction.  I also fail to see how if we had moved to Great Coates and a new stadium all those years ago we would have had more success on the pitch, is there a reason we actually should of?

Because we lose money just about every season and are currently in debt to the tune of millions. We don't go bust because the board (mainly JF) make up the shortfall.

I'm also a bit fed up of people going on about conferences and how they can't see there is any need/any significant money from them. Well there is more to it than that and conferences are not the only way to generate income. There are loads of ways if you think about it.

My erudite opinion is: Stop faffing and get the sodomist built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 1:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Because we lose money just about every season and are currently in debt to the tune of millions. We don't go bust because the board (mainly JF) make up the shortfall.

I'm also a bit fed up of people going on about conferences and how they can't see there is any need/any significant money from them. Well there is more to it than that and conferences are not the only way to generate income. There are loads of ways if you think about it.

My erudite opinion is: Stop faffing and get the sodomist built.

Ginny's right "conference facilities" does not mean you only have conferences in them he's also right in that we just need to get it effing built.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 73
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2017, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chicaneuk
I understand the reasons and the limitations of staying at Blundell Park. I just think these modern grounds are all the same.. complete and utter pants. I hope if it does go ahead, they try and do something a little different at least with the retail offerings etc.

What would you suggest we did differently?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 73
Bawmariner
February 9, 2017, 1:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 1
You have to remember that parts of BP are over 100 year old so the maintenance costs must be huge. Not mention the lack of facilities putting people off attending or at least discouraging them eating or getting a pint in the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stadium Developers Set For Formal Planning App

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.