forza ivano
November 1, 2016, 10:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Garth
IMO I expect JF will go for the bells and flashing lights of a big name with all its expense,  rather than the untried at this level Bignot --shame really

one could balance that by saying jf will be employing somebody that he knows he can deal with, he will be cheap compared to an experienced manager and he won't have to pay any compo if bignot is still without a contract. he must surely also know that the tried and tested bosses he has employed have been the failures and it is the up n coming (hurst/scott & slade) that have been the successes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 159
horsforthmariner
November 1, 2016, 10:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,614
Gold Stars: 9
I have a suspicion Bignot is a good shout. If you think of all the managers Fenty has being involved with - the promotions from inside haven't worked, the big name out of work managers haven't worked but the promotions from lesser clubs (Hurst and Slade) have done well. It would not surprise me if he was the man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 159
1mickylyons
November 1, 2016, 10:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Well Bignot would tick most boxes for most people other than the two obvious one ie he hasn't managed in the League and he isn`t a big name.The latter we can dismiss fairly early big names don't guarantee success at any level however the first issue is a major concern and presumably this would be spoken about intensely during any interview?Of the candidates mentioned if we discount the big names he would surely have to be on a par with anything from below League 2 in most people`s eyes?These type of Managers need a chance and he would be taking over a fairly happy squad/team and would not really need to carry out any major surgery.I would welcome this appointment personally if we cant get Adkins/Evans who tick the big name and league experience category.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 159
RichMariner
November 1, 2016, 11:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
A lot is said about experience (and a good point was made earlier in the thread about preferring the word 'credentials').

Plenty of managers with experience in L1 and L2 will have a sacking on their CV too, so 'experience' works both ways.

I like the sound of Bignot. He says himself that he was thinking about - and planning for - managerial work when he was 19, so that's plenty of time to get experience (if six years at Solihull in itself, and the work with the Birmingham ladies' team, isn't already enough).

So it's not experience at out level. But the biggest question has to be:

Can you motivate 11 footballers to win games of football?

Yes, he'll be working at a higher level, against stronger opposing teams, but he'll also have better players at his disposal. It's all relative.

The Bogle relationship will work in his favour massively too.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 53 - 159
1mickylyons
November 1, 2016, 11:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
A lot is said about experience (and a good point was made earlier in the thread about preferring the word 'credentials').

Plenty of managers with experience in L1 and L2 will have a sacking on their CV too, so 'experience' works both ways.

I like the sound of Bignot. He says himself that he was thinking about - and planning for - managerial work when he was 19, so that's plenty of time to get experience (if six years at Solihull in itself, and the work with the Birmingham ladies' team, isn't already enough).

So it's not experience at out level. But the biggest question has to be:

Can you motivate 11 footballers to win games of football?

Yes, he'll be working at a higher level, against stronger opposing teams, but he'll also have better players at his disposal. It's all relative.

The Bogle relationship will work in his favour massively too.

He will also have a large passionate fanbase desperate to back him and his players to the hilt at home if he can deliver some attacking football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 159
RichMariner
November 1, 2016, 11:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Oh, and another thing to say in favour of Bignot...

Solihull matches have for a long time been good for goals. I play safe, odds-on bets as rolling accumulators, and over 1.5 match goals is (most weeks) a very safe bet when Solihull are involved.

They've just had a 1-0 win and a 1-0 defeat, but generally they tend to play an open game.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 55 - 159
GrimRob
November 1, 2016, 11:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Garth
Just a thought about Bignot, would he be respected by the more senior players in the squad? the likes of Collins, Dis, Warrington Macca etc

That's partly why you have a face to face interview. to get a feel of the person.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 159
acko338
November 1, 2016, 11:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
I don't think that either Bill Shankly or Lawrie Mac had too much experience prior to managing Town, but they both did all right over the future years ?????

Every manager needs someone to take that first chance, and I would rather give an "up and comer" a go with ambition to progress, especially that we have got the current league position, and the excellent fan base, both home and away, rather than one that is a "name" and recent sackings.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 159
GrimRob
November 1, 2016, 11:28am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Virtually every decent manager we've had in our entire history has been on his way up rather than on his way down. In my adult lifetime AB, RuS and PH all came from non-league. GK, when I was a kid, came from Lincoln with very little experience. Better to take a chance with someone young and fresh than a failed manager who has been sacked several times IMHO.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 159
1mickylyons
November 1, 2016, 11:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Some excellent posts and it seems most fans on here at least are being reasonable in their expectations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.