Sigone
November 1, 2016, 5:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
On radio Humberside sports talk this evening from 6:-

#Sportstalk: we'll discuss the latest at Hull City & hear from a Midlands reporter on Grimsby managerial target Marcus Bignot. #hcafc #gtfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 159
Hagrid
November 1, 2016, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
definitely not 0% jones! I think he'd be a very good choice, you want 0% to people like mark robbins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 159
TJ
November 1, 2016, 5:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -32
Am I missing something here as to why people are seemingly so satisfied with bignot?

A manager who albeit with a low budget took five years to get a team promoted out of a league full of part time pub sides, and in fact his first place finish was the only time Solihull ever looked liked getting promoted. Also, he does not even have a years experience managing in a league that we slated for being of a terrible quality and couldn't wait to get out of? He has done one fairytale-esk me nice guy newspaper article for a newspaper and we are suddenly believing that he is a man that is in it for the love of the game and will be more determined than anyone else? I'm sorry but this is a man who before the last 15 games has only managed a part time women's football team and a men's team in the second tier of non-league where he is up against managers of much less quality and teams which are semi professional!

I am not saying for one second that people like mark robins are managers that we should be going for? But why they are so less desirable than Marcus bignot I do not know, yeah we can say they are on their way down, but is our preferred dream candidate Adkins also not on his way down? Least some of these so called 'on their way down' league managers have experience against more tactically astute managers, professional and organised teams, and have experience of managing big (bigger than Solihull) football clubs. And for example mark robins has spent the majority of his career taking over teams who are in the bottom four of the league and rapidly taking them numerous points above relegation places, this is in proper leagues with proper teams and managers,  Now I'm not saying we should be going for one of these Managers, but what I'm saying is that I cannot believe people are suddenly thinking someone like Marcus bignot is the messiah and so much better than some of these candidates.... You all want a foreword thinking ambitions appointment yet you want someone who has only
Managed women's football or in a semi professional men's league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 159
Garth
November 1, 2016, 5:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Sigone
On radio Humberside sports talk this evening from 6:-

#Sportstalk: we'll discuss the latest at Hull City & hear from a Midlands reporter on Grimsby managerial target Marcus Bignot. #hcafc #gtfc

I wonder if he will tell us his team for Saturday or rely on others for advice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 159
fleabag1970
November 1, 2016, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Cheap Option , balances the books .. It worked with PH but im guessing we cant get luck twice

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 159
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2016, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from supertown

You need to name names then.

I'm not completely dismissing him but managers such as Dave Jones and Nigel Adkins have much more experience, Robbie Stockdale and Paul Groves have coached at a much higher level and Mark Robins has done a decent if not spectacular job at the clubs he's managed.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 159
jonnyboy82
November 1, 2016, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I honestly dont know what to think about marcus bignot getting the job.

I just keep coming back to the only reason that worries me.

Experience.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 159
Bigdog
November 1, 2016, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from TJ
Am I missing something here as to why people are seemingly so satisfied with bignot?

A manager who albeit with a low budget took five years to get a team promoted out of a league full of part time pub sides, and in fact his first place finish was the only time Solihull ever looked liked getting promoted. Also, he does not even have a years experience managing in a league that we slated for being of a terrible quality and couldn't wait to get out of? He has done one fairytale-esk me nice guy newspaper article for a newspaper and we are suddenly believing that he is a man that is in it for the love of the game and will be more determined than anyone else? I'm sorry but this is a man who before the last 15 games has only managed a part time women's football team and a men's team in the second tier of non-league where he is up against managers of much less quality and teams which are semi professional!

I am not saying for one second that people like mark robins are managers that we should be going for? But why they are so less desirable than Marcus bignot I do not know, yeah we can say they are on their way down, but is our preferred dream candidate Adkins also not on his way down? Least some of these so called 'on their way down' league managers have experience against more tactically astute managers, professional and organised teams, and have experience of managing big (bigger than Solihull) football clubs. And for example mark robins has spent the majority of his career taking over teams who are in the bottom four of the league and rapidly taking them numerous points above relegation places, this is in proper leagues with proper teams and managers,  Now I'm not saying we should be going for one of these Managers, but what I'm saying is that I cannot believe people are suddenly thinking someone like Marcus bignot is the messiah and so much better than some of these candidates.... You all want a foreword thinking ambitions appointment yet you want someone who has only

I agree with some of what you say. Think using Mark Robins as an alternative sort of dilutes your point though. Bignot if chosen is an unproven risk which may turn out to be inspired or a disaster. It was a very good article which serves Bignot well PR-wise. I'm sure if every prospective candidate had such a good piece written about them opinions would be a little more divided than they are.

Anyway we know little or nothing about who is in the running and what their personal back stories are to be so definitive in making Bignot the clear and obvious choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 159
Hagrid
November 1, 2016, 6:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from TJ

well we aren't in the bottom four....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 159
TJ
November 1, 2016, 6:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -32
yeah bigdog I'm not saying we should get robins at all, just trying to make a point that I'm finding it difficult to see why bignot is being looked upon as a really good candidate by many yet other such managers with league experience, managing bigger clubs, against better managers and teams, in the second and third tiers are being made out to be terrible candidates, and although I wouldn't personally choose robins, he was in the bottom four with Coventry, then got them pushing for play offs, took over Barnsley bottom and finished nine points safe, did relatively well with a Huddersfield team with one of the lowest budgets in the league at the time, I'm just saying he's got poor teams getting points in good leagues and so have many other ex league managers so they cannot be looked upon as such bad candidates when someone like bignot is being made out to be fantastic. I would like to reiterate that robins would probably not be in my top three he's just an example! but if it were to big bignot id back him to the end as I would any gtfc manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.