16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
October 30, 2016, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I'd say there's lots of ways to acquire experience and lots of different types of experience that can be relevant. Experience of being a winner? Experience of coaching at the top level in the country? Long playing experience? Experience of developing young players? Any or all of that could be relevant. It depends on what we mean by experience and how we value it's different forms. Does experience mean 'not a young manager'? If 'experience' means - a record of having managed in L2 or L1 before (and seemingly been average to poor at it),then I'm not in favour. That would describe many a name on the list of suggestions so far (Wilcox, Knill, etc..).
I don't think that's the way we should go.

For me, 'credentials' is a better word than experience. It's more balanced and refers to a spectrum of aspects. Experience is only part of it for me, and it's much more subjective. Eg: Robbie Stockdale doesn't have experience of managing a L2 club (and being sacked due to his record), but he does have experience of coaching premier league players-both first team and youth.

I'm not necessarily proposing Stockdale, I'm merely using him to illustrate a point. Likewise, Marcus Bignot, who doesn't have any league management experience, but definitely has some credentials which would make him worthy of consideration.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 159
Nelly GTFC
October 30, 2016, 11:24pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete
Another plus he does not work with a contract at Solihull,

So Fenty will not have to pay any compo.
I just found this article from last month, Bignot was trying to get a contract sorted, I can't find anything else that states he has signed a long-term contract as yet.

Could be a cheap option compared to an out of work manager without breaking into any funds.
Quoted from Birmingham Mail | Posted: 29th September 2016
Solihull Moors boss Marcus Bignot seeks assurances about his future

Marcus Bignot will be having more talks with the Solihull Moors’ hierarchy over a possible contract.

Bignot, who has worked without a deal in his six years with the Moors, has already had conversations with the board over a contract to give him some security in his role.

The club has yet to offer any deal but there will be more talks this week...
Full read here >> http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/solihull-moors-boss-marcus-bignot-11958806

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 159
Nelly GTFC
October 31, 2016, 11:22am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Vital Football | Posted: 31st October 2016
Solihull Moors manager Marcus Bignot is the current bookmakers favourite to become the new manager of Grimsby Town.

Bignot, who has managed the Moors since 2011, is the current favourite with numerous bookmakers and has seen his odds tumble to as little as 2/1.

It is quite well known that Bignot is currently working without a proper managerial contract at Damson Park and while the Moors boss is very much looking to sign a deal, the Football League side could take advantage of the situation by poaching the Birmingham-born manager away from Solihull.

Grimsby are currently in eighth place in League Two, one place outside the play-offs, but are currently without a manager after previous boss Paul Hurst left Blundell Park to take over at Shrewsbury Town.
http://www.solihullmoors.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=573268

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 159
acko338
October 31, 2016, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Marcus Bignot makes sense on many fronts -

experience of working with a low end budget,
gets results and a promotion from his own efforts at coaching and signing players,
good long term prospect,
6 years at Solihull without the comfort zone of a contract in place,
confident of own abilities,
could get more out of Bogle than Hurst did,
could get more out of the misfiring forwards,

inherits good quality reasonably high number squad in a just off play offs position

What's not to like if we give the guy a chance at the next level up ???

Hurst had the same chance and took it !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 159
1mickylyons
October 31, 2016, 12:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
To me though he would not be my ideal choice he would seem to be an excellent choice and a good fit for GTFC I for one would see the sense and back this appointment far more than Wilcox or Robins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 159
Garth
October 31, 2016, 4:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

And yet my HP at the club tells me they want experience ?

Of losing, plenty of applicants would fulfill that criteria, young and ambitious for me just like the Imps choice

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 159
BottesfordMariner
October 31, 2016, 4:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
An interesting read and he comes across as a bright young manager.

I recall now his interview when we signed Bogle from his club and he came across very well in that.

I have been saying we need a proven manager at this level but I have to say perhaps this guy could be the answer. Has achieved success (all be it at a lower level) without much financial support. Certainly worth serious consideration by the board.

I would have loved to have Adkins here but that is maybe a pipedream. Looking at the other supposed managers in the frame Bignot compares favourably with some of them for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 159
gtfc98
October 31, 2016, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
If this isn't the sort of young, ambitious manager that we're considering then there's something seriously wrong with the club. He should get an interview at the very least. Seems to be a very knowledgeable and level headed chap, much like Paul in some respects. I'd rather we gave him a chance and look back IF it doesn't work and say it was a well educated and thoughful gamble rather than looking back WHEN some no-hoper like Russ Wilcox fails and have all of us fans tell the club we told them so.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 159
grimsby pete
October 31, 2016, 5:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If Adkins is out of our reach then Bignot would be the best fir for me,

I hope the board do not go for some one else just because they played for Town,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 159
olimariner
October 31, 2016, 5:21pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +12
Think Bignot is growing as most peoples choice and having just read all the comments on here seams to fit the bill for Town, would be a very enthusiastic appointment that Town need and pairing him back up with Omar can only be a good thing.
Sign him up before someone else does !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.