This thread currently has 47,410 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
November 1, 2016, 8:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
It seems to me that it's been sorted and Bignot will be the new manager - why else would Humberside invite a Solihull reporter on? I suppose in the next few days Humberside might invite someone who knows a bit about the other front runners on but will they?
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 159
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 1, 2016, 8:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quite entertaining reading the fors and againsts of prospective managers and highlights that whoever gets the job is not going to be welcomed with open arms by all town fans.

Also indicates how difficult selecting the new guy will be and driving along today it crossed my mind howcwell Keith Curle is doing at Carlisle, by his own admission an alocoholic without a great managerial history how would his appointment have been received at the time?

Others have mentioned this in other threads but certain managers suit certain clubs, Eddie Howe being a perfect example given his career at Burnley, and there are many reasons why they succeeed and many why they fail including difficult/interfering Chairman, budgets, injuries and  tactics.

I like many want someone who can get us playing more entertaining football at home without leaving the defence wide open, not much to ask, oh and throw in the odd promotion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 159
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2016, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Quite entertaining reading the fors and againsts of prospective managers and highlights that whoever gets the job is not going to be welcomed with open arms by all town fans.

Also indicates how difficult selecting the new guy will be and driving along today it crossed my mind howcwell Keith Curle is doing at Carlisle, by his own admission an alocoholic without a great managerial history how would his appointment have been received at the time?

Others have mentioned this in other threads but certain managers suit certain clubs, Eddie Howe being a perfect example given his career at Burnley, and there are many reasons why they succeeed and many why they fail including difficult/interfering Chairman, budgets, injuries and  tactics.

I like many want someone who can get us playing more entertaining football at home without leaving the defence wide open, not much to ask, oh and throw in the odd promotion!

There's so many pros and cons for so many. My only wish is that we get a manager who plays positively and plays his players in their favoured positions, oh, and doesn't ever jeopardise our League status again.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 159
RichMariner
November 1, 2016, 8:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Experience, experience, experience.

'We need someone who has experience of managing in League 2.'

When we wanted to get out of the Conference, we appointed manager(s) who didn't have experience of even managing in the Conference!

Sometimes you've got to look down to see what's coming up.

Solihull got promoted with naff all to work with. They're holding their own in a division full of ex-league teams with huge budgets compared to theirs and, by all counts, playing open games of football.

We know from our time in the Championship what it takes to get there and stay there - someone who battles hard, gets the best out of players and consistently beats the odds.

I *think* that Bignot has shown these assets in his time at Solihull. That's why we're interested. That's why we *should* be interested.

I completely understand the reservations fans may have. It is a risk - but then so is appointing a manager who's got league experience but also been relegated.

How many candidates will we be interviewing who'll have a sacking on their CV?

It's a good thread with some good debate. I'm not even saying Bignot would be my choice but I can absolutely see why he's a strong candidate and don't subscribe to the argument against at least feeling positive about such an appointment.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 123 - 159
TJ
November 1, 2016, 8:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -32
If we go on his record only,and not this silly mr nice guy interview that anyone could do as a pr stunt, Marcus bignot has one promotion from the conference north (which took five years), meaning if he is such a good manager, why aren't you also saying the managers who got north ferriby, Maidstone United, boreham wood, sutton United, bromley etc promoted in the last couple of years should also be candidates?, many of which did so after less than 5 years and were in a better position in the conference after 15 games than Solihull are presently, and many of whom also have previous promotions at other non-league clubs???  I'm not saying they should be at all,but what I'm saying is Marcus bignot has only done what these managers have done (and in many cases actually had less success or the same success over a longer period), what makes him so special from the record he has because I'm sorry if I'm missing something I just can't see what makes him so special? What makes him the biggest up and coming talent in non league above all these other managers if you just go on their managerial record alone? I think people are getting brainwashed by the fact he spotted Bogle (not the only good player to come out of non league in the last five years) and has done a very nice fluffy newspaper article....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 159
supertown
November 1, 2016, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Worst thing about this is the song!

Marcus bignots black n white army ........... nah
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 159
Garth
November 1, 2016, 8:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Russell Slade? Martin O'Neill? He also worked his way through non-league up the divisions.

No matter who is chosen as manager, there's a risk factor, no matter how much wealth of experience or not.  It's all a risk.

That's true look at Manchester United's  coach and he's the special  one

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 159
Mariner_09
November 1, 2016, 8:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Sorry TJ but he was operating on a budget that was probably in direct correlation to the crowds which were titchy. They also lost their best player to us in the close season and he would work his bottom off to get us higher up the ladder.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 159
lancspontooner
November 1, 2016, 9:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
And he's got little Solihull into the FA Cup First Round. They play away at ....... Yeovil on Saturday. It's a sign! Be interesting to see how they get on. Maybe they will get the nailed on penalty decision that we didn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 159
mariner91
November 1, 2016, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from TJ
if he is such a good manager, why aren't you also saying the managers who got north ferriby, Maidstone United, boreham wood, sutton United, bromley etc promoted in the last couple of years should also be candidates?, many of which did so after less than 5 years and were in a better position in the conference after 15 games than Solihull are presently,

North Ferriby had a lot of money pumped in to them by the Allam family and they're currently rock bottom of the league having scored 7 goals in 18 games. They finished 9 points behind Solihull.

Maidstone had attendances about 6 times bigger than Solihull so presumably had a much bigger budget. They were third in the NL South last year 13 points behind the winners Sutton and are currently below Solihull in the table.

Sutton won their league last season but it took their manager 8 seasons to get them promoted. They also get about double the attendances that Solihull do so probably had a bigger budget there too. Currently only 3 points above Solihull in the table.

Bromley also get about double in attendance as Solihull so presumably have a bigger budget. They won their league in 2015 but they didn't win by 9 points like Solihull did and they are currently below Solihull in the table.

Boreham Wood are an interesting one as they are the only side to probably have a similar budget. Went up via the play offs but then really struggled and finished in 19th after changing their manager during last season.

Some of the managers you mentioned did get promotion quicker than Bignot but nearly all of them did so with a much bigger budget and none of them did it so convincingly. None of them are/were doing significantly better than he is doing now in the NL either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Marcus Bignot

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.