Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: Mariner55, October 30, 2016, 11:55am
Here are we are speculating what the interviews for the Town job will be like - well this pretty much reads like Marcus Bignot's interview (assuming he applies and gets an interview).  I know we shouldn't necessarily be influenced by people who can talk the talk, but he comes across very well - and to me is just the kind of up & coming young manager we should be looking for.  Let's not forget that it is rare for a manager to come to a club that is not in crisis, as that is invariably the reason why there's been a vacancy in the first place.  He'll need time to get used to League 2, but hopefully he'll be allowed that.
There's also a bit of a link - brother Paul played for us.
I see too that Ian Holloway is his mentor.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36425814
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 1
Really good read, he deserves an interview at the very least.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2016, 12:05pm; Reply: 2
Another plus he does not work with a contract at Solihull,

So Fenty will not have to pay any compo. :)
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 30, 2016, 12:21pm; Reply: 3
What a great read, completely level headed guy and dedicated to his profession. And everything he's achieved has been the hard way.

UTM
Posted by: somersetmariner, October 30, 2016, 12:44pm; Reply: 4
He sounds awesome ! Came across really wellness in that article-focusing on coaching since he was 19!
Posted by: Hertsmariner, October 30, 2016, 3:37pm; Reply: 5
I have no real view on this one, but re-uniting with Omar Bogle (Marcus was his manager at Solihull) might just be a way of extracting the best from the player consistently. But who knows?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2016, 3:54pm; Reply: 6
Whoever we get I hope they have some personality and can engage with the fans. Though he did the job I always thought PH was too aloof to be truly accepted at GTFC.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 30, 2016, 4:00pm; Reply: 7
You always got the impression that Omar and more recently Tombola never bonded with Hurst maybe the new man can extract the best out ofth pair of them.
Posted by: 99agrant, October 30, 2016, 4:38pm; Reply: 8
Looks the perfect fit in so many ways and would be within budget. Just hope he has been approached or applied.
Posted by: Mariner55, October 30, 2016, 5:47pm; Reply: 9
that's what I was thinking - hard to see anything negative about him, other than it's a big leap after a dozen games to in National League to League 2.  He seems to have this positive attitude that the fans should find refreshing -and what price on Omar scoring in his first game?
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 30, 2016, 5:57pm; Reply: 10
As long as he doesn't sign his brother.
Posted by: 99agrant, October 30, 2016, 6:55pm; Reply: 11
Bignot still 2nd favourite in the betting but Wilcox now favourite! FFS please not the York link again!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 30, 2016, 7:02pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 99agrant
Bignot still 2nd favourite in the betting but Wilcox now favourite! FFS please not the York link again!

Then he'll be about the tenth different favourite in 6 days. Best ignore bookies odds.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 30, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 13
Back in April this year, I mentioned Marcus Bignot when most people were p*****d-off with Hurst after we lost to Chester, Grimsby Town went on that three match losing streak before the play-offs.

Solihull Moors were promoted as Champions with the 4th lowest average attendances in the National North league, so practically on a shoestring budget. Like previously mentioned they are holding their own in the National League at present, which in my opinion without no disrespect to Solihull is impressive considering how small the club is.

When we signed Bogle, Bignot said on Radio Humberside 'I would love the opportunity to work with Bogle again in the future', when Bogle played for Solihull Moors he was banging in 30 goals, they still got promoted even with him joining us.  Listen here >> https://audioboom.com/posts/3265516-grimsby-town-bid-for-striker-omar-bogle-his-boss-at-solihull-marcus-bignot-talks-to-radiohumberside

I think Bignot would be the sort of Manager that the board would look at in the long-term for stability.
Posted by: 99agrant, October 30, 2016, 10:04pm; Reply: 14
Bignot now the favourite at 2/1
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 30, 2016, 10:06pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from 99agrant
Bignot now the favourite at 2/1

And yet my HP at the club tells me they want experience ?
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 30, 2016, 10:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

And we know what that means given the budget...

The board had better not make a balls up of this. To lose all the goodwill from Wembley in less than 5 months would be a spectacularly new low.
Posted by: mariner91, October 30, 2016, 10:29pm; Reply: 17

I do not like where that is heading.

And anyway, he's got five years of management experience.
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, October 30, 2016, 10:33pm; Reply: 18
He sounds like someone we should take a punt with 8)
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 30, 2016, 10:35pm; Reply: 19
I thought that was great read, he has worked hard, and he has learned from some great coaches.

I see a hard working, humble bloke who at some point will get a league job. I see a man manager in MB who wants to get the best out of players and not stifle them, could well be worth a shot.
Posted by: chaos33, October 30, 2016, 10:42pm; Reply: 20
I'd say there's lots of ways to acquire experience and lots of different types of experience that can be relevant. Experience of being a winner? Experience of coaching at the top level in the country? Long playing experience? Experience of developing young players? Any or all of that could be relevant. It depends on what we mean by experience and how we value it's different forms. Does experience mean 'not a young manager'? If 'experience' means - a record of having managed in L2 or L1 before (and seemingly been average to poor at it),then I'm not in favour. That would describe many a name on the list of suggestions so far (Wilcox, Knill, etc..).
I don't think that's the way we should go.

For me, 'credentials' is a better word than experience. It's more balanced and refers to a spectrum of aspects. Experience is only part of it for me, and it's much more subjective. Eg: Robbie Stockdale doesn't have experience of managing a L2 club (and being sacked due to his record), but he does have experience of coaching premier league players-both first team and youth.

I'm not necessarily proposing Stockdale, I'm merely using him to illustrate a point. Likewise, Marcus Bignot, who doesn't have any league management experience, but definitely has some credentials which would make him worthy of consideration.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 30, 2016, 11:24pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimsby pete
Another plus he does not work with a contract at Solihull,

So Fenty will not have to pay any compo. :)
I just found this article from last month, Bignot was trying to get a contract sorted, I can't find anything else that states he has signed a long-term contract as yet.

Could be a cheap option compared to an out of work manager without breaking into any funds.
Quoted from Birmingham Mail | Posted: 29th September 2016
Solihull Moors boss Marcus Bignot seeks assurances about his future

Marcus Bignot will be having more talks with the Solihull Moors’ hierarchy over a possible contract.

Bignot, who has worked without a deal in his six years with the Moors, has already had conversations with the board over a contract to give him some security in his role.

The club has yet to offer any deal but there will be more talks this week...
Full read here >> http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/solihull-moors-boss-marcus-bignot-11958806
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 31, 2016, 11:22am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Vital Football | Posted: 31st October 2016
Solihull Moors manager Marcus Bignot is the current bookmakers favourite to become the new manager of Grimsby Town.

Bignot, who has managed the Moors since 2011, is the current favourite with numerous bookmakers and has seen his odds tumble to as little as 2/1.

It is quite well known that Bignot is currently working without a proper managerial contract at Damson Park and while the Moors boss is very much looking to sign a deal, the Football League side could take advantage of the situation by poaching the Birmingham-born manager away from Solihull.

Grimsby are currently in eighth place in League Two, one place outside the play-offs, but are currently without a manager after previous boss Paul Hurst left Blundell Park to take over at Shrewsbury Town.
http://www.solihullmoors.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=573268
Posted by: acko338, October 31, 2016, 12:02pm; Reply: 23
Marcus Bignot makes sense on many fronts -

experience of working with a low end budget,
gets results and a promotion from his own efforts at coaching and signing players,
good long term prospect,
6 years at Solihull without the comfort zone of a contract in place,
confident of own abilities,
could get more out of Bogle than Hurst did,
could get more out of the misfiring forwards,

inherits good quality reasonably high number squad in a just off play offs position

What's not to like if we give the guy a chance at the next level up ???

Hurst had the same chance and took it !
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 31, 2016, 12:05pm; Reply: 24
To me though he would not be my ideal choice he would seem to be an excellent choice and a good fit for GTFC I for one would see the sense and back this appointment far more than Wilcox or Robins.
Posted by: Garth, October 31, 2016, 4:40pm; Reply: 25

Of losing, plenty of applicants would fulfill that criteria, young and ambitious for me just like the Imps choice

Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 31, 2016, 4:54pm; Reply: 26
An interesting read and he comes across as a bright young manager.

I recall now his interview when we signed Bogle from his club and he came across very well in that.

I have been saying we need a proven manager at this level but I have to say perhaps this guy could be the answer. Has achieved success (all be it at a lower level) without much financial support. Certainly worth serious consideration by the board.

I would have loved to have Adkins here but that is maybe a pipedream. Looking at the other supposed managers in the frame Bignot compares favourably with some of them for sure.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 31, 2016, 5:09pm; Reply: 27
If this isn't the sort of young, ambitious manager that we're considering then there's something seriously wrong with the club. He should get an interview at the very least. Seems to be a very knowledgeable and level headed chap, much like Paul in some respects. I'd rather we gave him a chance and look back IF it doesn't work and say it was a well educated and thoughful gamble rather than looking back WHEN some no-hoper like Russ Wilcox fails and have all of us fans tell the club we told them so.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 31, 2016, 5:12pm; Reply: 28
If Adkins is out of our reach then Bignot would be the best fir for me,

I hope the board do not go for some one else just because they played for Town,
Posted by: olimariner, October 31, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 29
Think Bignot is growing as most peoples choice and having just read all the comments on here seams to fit the bill for Town, would be a very enthusiastic appointment that Town need and pairing him back up with Omar can only be a good thing.
Sign him up before someone else does !
Posted by: sydney, October 31, 2016, 5:40pm; Reply: 30
Like this thread and this guy has promise
but I fear we are going to go for someone safe who has "experience in this league"  blah blah blah etc etc
And all that is achieved is he establishes us as a div 2 bottom half club
We have fantastic momentum at present and the board need to grasp this and keep fanning the flames of it with a complete open minded and perhaps risk taking approach who the fans will get behind 100.00% rather than the safe pr of hands malarky that the fans will hate within half a dozen games or so
Come on Board make a good decision on this appointment
Posted by: 935 (Guest), October 31, 2016, 5:40pm; Reply: 31
I m not sure giving Bignot his 1st chance in league football is really a statement of intent. Agreed hes done remarkably with Solihull, that said its a big leap and can take sometime to get right. He might be immediately succesful but hes unproven at this level. Equally everyone seems to go on about he and bogle, but the stats are somewhat similar to Hursts results from bogle. First season at Solihull 0.4 goals per game, second 0.63. GTFC 1st season 0.35 gpg then 0.69. T
Posted by: Mariner55, October 31, 2016, 5:44pm; Reply: 32
Glad to see that this post hasn't descended into a trail of abuse ... maybe that shows that Marcus Bignot could bring a more positive atmosphere to the club.  Anyway, on the betting ... I bet a lot on football, £20-30, two or three times a week and I end up at least even over a season and so far this season am £300+ up.  The point I'm making is that despite this, I'd never vote on a new manager because someone will always have inside information and the rest is based on nothing more than speculation or whether you like the sound of someone.  As I've said before, at some stage this week someone will know who's likely to get the job and that may sway the market, but otherwise I'd suggest stick well clear of it.  
Posted by: chaos33, October 31, 2016, 7:07pm; Reply: 33
Can you find me 5 winners amongst Tuesday night's fixtures please?  :)
Posted by: Mariner55, October 31, 2016, 7:11pm; Reply: 34
I'll put something up tomorrow, though I rarely bet on Champions League (or even Premier League for that matter).  My usual bet is to go for a fourfold comprising three home wins and one draw.  Won on Saturday with Town as my draw.  
Posted by: chaos33, October 31, 2016, 8:10pm; Reply: 35
Thanks  :)
Posted by: 99agrant, October 31, 2016, 8:56pm; Reply: 36
Marcus Bignot now 7/4 favourite. Dave Jones now 3/1 2nd fav.
Would prefer Bignot but we could do a lot worse than Jones
Posted by: chaos33, October 31, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 37
This is Dave Jones who is 60 and hasn't managed anyone for three years, yeah?
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, October 31, 2016, 9:34pm; Reply: 38
Get it done and lets move on. Bignot gets my vote! 8) for what its worth - I guess we will never really know what goes on in the boardroom shenanigans :(
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 31, 2016, 10:13pm; Reply: 39
5/4 favourite, bets on or something happening?
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 40
Tweet 793386670599073792 will appear here...
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 41
I think he had to be on any shortlist. Tickes many boxes.
Posted by: coddy60, November 1, 2016, 9:52am; Reply: 42
Ticks or tickles??
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 9:55am; Reply: 43
Quoted from coddy60
Ticks or tickles??

:) you decide.
Posted by: coddy60, November 1, 2016, 9:59am; Reply: 44
Personal preference, but I always like to tickle a box...
Posted by: forza ivano, November 1, 2016, 10:12am; Reply: 45
Quoted from GrimRob
Tweet 793386670599073792 will appear here...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that he and fenty will have had fairly extensive dealings over quite a period of time. remember that we had been chasing bogle for a year or 2 before we got him. that has to be an advantage
Posted by: Cloudy, November 1, 2016, 10:16am; Reply: 46
Quoted from forza ivano

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that he and fenty will have had fairly extensive dealings over quite a period of time. remember that we had been chasing bogle for a year or 2 before we got him. that has to be an advantage

Or not, as the case may be  ;)

TBF I seem to recall Bignot said GTFC had conducted their pursuit of Bogle very well and with respect
Posted by: Garth, November 1, 2016, 10:33am; Reply: 47
IMO I expect JF will go for the bells and flashing lights of a big name with all its expense,  rather than the untried at this level Bignot --shame really
Posted by: Garth, November 1, 2016, 10:39am; Reply: 48
Just a thought about Bignot, would he be respected by the more senior players in the squad? the likes of Collins, Dis, Warrington Macca etc
Posted by: LH, November 1, 2016, 10:47am; Reply: 49
Yes because they are professionals.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 1, 2016, 10:51am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Garth
IMO I expect JF will go for the bells and flashing lights of a big name with all its expense,  rather than the untried at this level Bignot --shame really

one could balance that by saying jf will be employing somebody that he knows he can deal with, he will be cheap compared to an experienced manager and he won't have to pay any compo if bignot is still without a contract. he must surely also know that the tried and tested bosses he has employed have been the failures and it is the up n coming (hurst/scott & slade) that have been the successes
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 1, 2016, 10:54am; Reply: 51
I have a suspicion Bignot is a good shout. If you think of all the managers Fenty has being involved with - the promotions from inside haven't worked, the big name out of work managers haven't worked but the promotions from lesser clubs (Hurst and Slade) have done well. It would not surprise me if he was the man.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 1, 2016, 10:58am; Reply: 52
Well Bignot would tick most boxes for most people other than the two obvious one ie he hasn't managed in the League and he isn`t a big name.The latter we can dismiss fairly early big names don't guarantee success at any level however the first issue is a major concern and presumably this would be spoken about intensely during any interview?Of the candidates mentioned if we discount the big names he would surely have to be on a par with anything from below League 2 in most people`s eyes?These type of Managers need a chance and he would be taking over a fairly happy squad/team and would not really need to carry out any major surgery.I would welcome this appointment personally if we cant get Adkins/Evans who tick the big name and league experience category.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 1, 2016, 11:03am; Reply: 53
A lot is said about experience (and a good point was made earlier in the thread about preferring the word 'credentials').

Plenty of managers with experience in L1 and L2 will have a sacking on their CV too, so 'experience' works both ways.

I like the sound of Bignot. He says himself that he was thinking about - and planning for - managerial work when he was 19, so that's plenty of time to get experience (if six years at Solihull in itself, and the work with the Birmingham ladies' team, isn't already enough).

So it's not experience at out level. But the biggest question has to be:

Can you motivate 11 footballers to win games of football?

Yes, he'll be working at a higher level, against stronger opposing teams, but he'll also have better players at his disposal. It's all relative.

The Bogle relationship will work in his favour massively too.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 1, 2016, 11:06am; Reply: 54
Quoted from RichMariner
A lot is said about experience (and a good point was made earlier in the thread about preferring the word 'credentials').

Plenty of managers with experience in L1 and L2 will have a sacking on their CV too, so 'experience' works both ways.

I like the sound of Bignot. He says himself that he was thinking about - and planning for - managerial work when he was 19, so that's plenty of time to get experience (if six years at Solihull in itself, and the work with the Birmingham ladies' team, isn't already enough).

So it's not experience at out level. But the biggest question has to be:

Can you motivate 11 footballers to win games of football?

Yes, he'll be working at a higher level, against stronger opposing teams, but he'll also have better players at his disposal. It's all relative.

The Bogle relationship will work in his favour massively too.

He will also have a large passionate fanbase desperate to back him and his players to the hilt at home if he can deliver some attacking football.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 1, 2016, 11:21am; Reply: 55
Oh, and another thing to say in favour of Bignot...

Solihull matches have for a long time been good for goals. I play safe, odds-on bets as rolling accumulators, and over 1.5 match goals is (most weeks) a very safe bet when Solihull are involved.

They've just had a 1-0 win and a 1-0 defeat, but generally they tend to play an open game.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2016, 11:23am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Garth
Just a thought about Bignot, would he be respected by the more senior players in the squad? the likes of Collins, Dis, Warrington Macca etc

That's partly why you have a face to face interview. to get a feel of the person.
Posted by: acko338, November 1, 2016, 11:24am; Reply: 57
I don't think that either Bill Shankly or Lawrie Mac had too much experience prior to managing Town, but they both did all right over the future years ?????

Every manager needs someone to take that first chance, and I would rather give an "up and comer" a go with ambition to progress, especially that we have got the current league position, and the excellent fan base, both home and away, rather than one that is a "name" and recent sackings.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2016, 11:28am; Reply: 58
Virtually every decent manager we've had in our entire history has been on his way up rather than on his way down. In my adult lifetime AB, RuS and PH all came from non-league. GK, when I was a kid, came from Lincoln with very little experience. Better to take a chance with someone young and fresh than a failed manager who has been sacked several times IMHO.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 1, 2016, 11:31am; Reply: 59
Some excellent posts and it seems most fans on here at least are being reasonable in their expectations.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 11:39am; Reply: 60
If Bignot is considering the job, i bet he'll be on the phone to PH. I'm sure PH will tell him to go for it. (If offered the job of course).

On the face of it, he seems ideal and has no baggage. He could leave Solihull today with him having no contract and it looks like it is his time to step up a notch. If he doesn't come here, i imagine he will be going somewhere else soon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2016, 11:41am; Reply: 61
We started the season with a manager who had never managed at league level,

So I do not see that a problem if Bignot is appointed.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 1, 2016, 11:43am; Reply: 62
The choice seems to be, roughly, between an up and coming young manager and an older, been there before, experienced type. For me, and a few others, Bignot seems to be in the number one spot for the former, but I'm not sure who I'd earmark for the latter, just hoping a couple of names not mentioned may spring up.
Posted by: MarinerMal, November 1, 2016, 12:06pm; Reply: 63
To be honest, if the choice is between Marcus Bignot or Dave Jones, I'd be quite happy with either.
Posted by: Mariner55, November 1, 2016, 12:08pm; Reply: 64
The more I think about it, the more I think Marcus is our man.  This 'experience' issue ... let's not forget that he's played almost 600 games in the League, many at a decent level.  This isn't some schoolteacher who's had a couple of decent seasons with a club a couple of leagues below the National league.  As others have said, non-league managers sseem to work well for us: Buckley, Slade, Hurst and Lawrie McMenemy had just been sacked by Doncaster when he got the Town job.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 1, 2016, 12:15pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from MarinerMal
To be honest, if the choice is between Marcus Bignot or Dave Jones, I'd be quite happy with either.

Me too.
Posted by: Maringer, November 1, 2016, 12:19pm; Reply: 66
My biggest worry about Bignot is whether or not he knows how to use computers. The BBC interview indicates he doesn't do twitter or Facebook so is he tech-savvy enough for the job? Using computers is very important, I'm told.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 1, 2016, 12:24pm; Reply: 67
Forgive my ignorance but where is this Dave Jones news coming from? Do we even know if he's applied/interested/shortlisted or has his name just been plucked from the ether?

I'd be happy with him or Bignot as it goes.
Posted by: SteveL, November 1, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 68
And his wife can provide backup for Macca!  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2016, 12:38pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Forgive my ignorance but where is this Dave Jones news coming from?  

A little monkey  ;)

Posted by: barrattstandman, November 1, 2016, 1:29pm; Reply: 70
The bottom of the sea !
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 2:03pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from barrattstandman
The bottom of the sea !

Keep up, i used that line last week.  :P
Posted by: davmariner, November 1, 2016, 2:07pm; Reply: 72
Let's not forget that Bignot is just one name on a shortlist of about six. We don't know who the other five options are.
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 1, 2016, 2:16pm; Reply: 73
Lets not forget we need an assistant manager too. Why not bring in Bignot as manager and bring in a number two who is experienced, knows the league and an experienced coach.
As much as I'd love Adkins or Holloway to come here I cant see it happening so Bignot probably a good shout after them. Will be young and hungry like Hurst was, worked with Bogle before and done wonders at Solihull.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 2:24pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from davmariner
Let's not forget that Bignot is just one name on a shortlist of about six. We don't know who the other five options are.

Is there even a shortlist? The last missive from the club stated that there wasn't one and no preferred candidates, although that was last week and i imagine they will now have trimmed down the applicants. Not much news coming out of BP Towers.
Posted by: davmariner, November 1, 2016, 2:25pm; Reply: 75
Here is Bignot's interview last year with Matt Dean regarding Omar's move. It's an interesting listen.

https://audioboom.com/posts/3265516-grimsby-town-bid-for-striker-omar-bogle-his-boss-at-solihull-marcus-bignot-talks-to-radiohumberside
Posted by: Fat Cobra, November 1, 2016, 2:49pm; Reply: 76
He sounds like the right man for this club! Sign him up Fenty
Posted by: supertown, November 1, 2016, 2:54pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from davmariner

That's just not true, any shortlist is just speculation. The club hasn't issued one
Posted by: RoboCod, November 1, 2016, 3:23pm; Reply: 78
FOLLOWING the departure of Paul Hurst and assistant Chris Doig, the club have received a significant number of applications for the vacant managerial position.

Throughout the week, the club have worked hard to collate a list of these applicants and have identified their key targets for the job.

Not referred to as a shortlist, but there's a list out there. No exact number of course, as we're not allowed a 'running commentary'
(boxed)
Posted by: davmariner, November 1, 2016, 3:25pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from supertown

That's just not true, any shortlist is just speculation. The club hasn't issued one

Quoted Text
Throughout the week, the club have worked hard to collate a list of these applicants and have identified their key targets for the job. We aim to begin the process of approaching targets and commencing with interviews next week, when the board of directors have had ample time to fully consider the whole host of information before them.

What's your point? I think it's reasonable to assume that the club would have a shortlist of people, whether that's 4,5,6 names. My point was that Bignot is just one of the candidates.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 3:51pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from RoboCod
FOLLOWING the departure of Paul Hurst and assistant Chris Doig, the club have received a significant number of applications for the vacant managerial position.

Throughout the week, the club have worked hard to collate a list of these applicants and have identified their key targets for the job.

Not referred to as a shortlist, but there's a list out there. No exact number of course, as we're not allowed a 'running commentary'
(boxed)

Cheers Robo, hadn't seen that. We are getting closer to the white smoke.
Posted by: Davec, November 1, 2016, 4:02pm; Reply: 81
What style of play and formation does Bignot deploy? does anybody know
Posted by: Hagrid, November 1, 2016, 4:05pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Davec
What style of play and formation does Bignot deploy? does anybody know

attacking
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2016, 4:07pm; Reply: 83
^Excellent news, I just hope the new man can balance our home and away form along with scoring lots but not conceding many. A tough ask but we have shown we can do three of the four throughout the season, it's just whether we can combine them.
Posted by: acko338, November 1, 2016, 4:38pm; Reply: 84
We seem to have shut down most of the back door defense problems with recent clean sheets, so we now need a manager who will also create a passing, attacking philosophy and excite the fans, who would then return to see better football in bigger numbers.

We all know that Hurst has a 1-0 win policy where possible, so he had to make changes when we started off the season shooting and scoring from all areas - hence Omar on 9 goals quickly, even with penalties.

Which of the mentioned managers will provide the fans with something on the field to follow and support?

Personally, I am leaning towards Bignot as the one to take this squad forward.
Posted by: Mariner55, November 1, 2016, 4:45pm; Reply: 85
Nowhere does it say he doesn't know how to use computers - it seems that he avoids social media, which is probably quite sensible for a manager.  Don't think PH ever used it.
Posted by: sydney, November 1, 2016, 5:10pm; Reply: 86
So from that statement above we are not targeting anyone and making an approach that might fall into the long term goals and ambitions of this great club and selling that ambition to that / those candidates?
Oh hang on a min we will sit rd a table and nicely nicely choose from applicants whom to interview who have been kind enough to apply
This is my concern
Set our sights and have a game plan and then go after it
Come on Town Golden Opportunity
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 5:11pm; Reply: 87
There seems to be an assumption that the messiah is coming. He manages a club that's 15th in the league we were desperate to get out of - he may be doing a pretty decent job but has no experience of managing at League level. I personally think that there must be better options available.
Posted by: supertown, November 1, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There seems to be an assumption that the messiah is coming. He manages a club that's 15th in the league we were desperate to get out of - he may be doing a pretty decent job but has no experience of managing at League level. I personally think that there must be better options available.

You need to name names then.
Posted by: golfer, November 1, 2016, 5:39pm; Reply: 89
Bignot 100%    Jones 0%   Thankyou
Posted by: Sigone, November 1, 2016, 5:40pm; Reply: 90
On radio Humberside sports talk this evening from 6:-

#Sportstalk: we'll discuss the latest at Hull City & hear from a Midlands reporter on Grimsby managerial target Marcus Bignot. #hcafc #gtfc
Posted by: Hagrid, November 1, 2016, 5:42pm; Reply: 91
definitely not 0% jones! I think he'd be a very good choice, you want 0% to people like mark robbins
Posted by: TJ, November 1, 2016, 5:43pm; Reply: 92
Am I missing something here as to why people are seemingly so satisfied with bignot?

A manager who albeit with a low budget took five years to get a team promoted out of a league full of part time pub sides, and in fact his first place finish was the only time Solihull ever looked liked getting promoted. Also, he does not even have a years experience managing in a league that we slated for being of a terrible quality and couldn't wait to get out of? He has done one fairytale-esk me nice guy newspaper article for a newspaper and we are suddenly believing that he is a man that is in it for the love of the game and will be more determined than anyone else? I'm sorry but this is a man who before the last 15 games has only managed a part time women's football team and a men's team in the second tier of non-league where he is up against managers of much less quality and teams which are semi professional!

I am not saying for one second that people like mark robins are managers that we should be going for? But why they are so less desirable than Marcus bignot I do not know, yeah we can say they are on their way down, but is our preferred dream candidate Adkins also not on his way down? Least some of these so called 'on their way down' league managers have experience against more tactically astute managers, professional and organised teams, and have experience of managing big (bigger than Solihull) football clubs. And for example mark robins has spent the majority of his career taking over teams who are in the bottom four of the league and rapidly taking them numerous points above relegation places, this is in proper leagues with proper teams and managers,  Now I'm not saying we should be going for one of these Managers, but what I'm saying is that I cannot believe people are suddenly thinking someone like Marcus bignot is the messiah and so much better than some of these candidates.... You all want a foreword thinking ambitions appointment yet you want someone who has only
Managed women's football or in a semi professional men's league?
Posted by: Garth, November 1, 2016, 5:47pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Sigone
On radio Humberside sports talk this evening from 6:-

#Sportstalk: we'll discuss the latest at Hull City & hear from a Midlands reporter on Grimsby managerial target Marcus Bignot. #hcafc #gtfc

I wonder if he will tell us his team for Saturday or rely on others for advice ;)
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 1, 2016, 5:49pm; Reply: 94
Cheap Option , balances the books .. It worked with PH but im guessing we cant get luck twice
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 5:54pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from supertown

You need to name names then.

I'm not completely dismissing him but managers such as Dave Jones and Nigel Adkins have much more experience, Robbie Stockdale and Paul Groves have coached at a much higher level and Mark Robins has done a decent if not spectacular job at the clubs he's managed.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 1, 2016, 5:55pm; Reply: 96
I honestly dont know what to think about marcus bignot getting the job.

I just keep coming back to the only reason that worries me.

Experience.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 1, 2016, 5:58pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from TJ
Am I missing something here as to why people are seemingly so satisfied with bignot?

A manager who albeit with a low budget took five years to get a team promoted out of a league full of part time pub sides, and in fact his first place finish was the only time Solihull ever looked liked getting promoted. Also, he does not even have a years experience managing in a league that we slated for being of a terrible quality and couldn't wait to get out of? He has done one fairytale-esk me nice guy newspaper article for a newspaper and we are suddenly believing that he is a man that is in it for the love of the game and will be more determined than anyone else? I'm sorry but this is a man who before the last 15 games has only managed a part time women's football team and a men's team in the second tier of non-league where he is up against managers of much less quality and teams which are semi professional!

I am not saying for one second that people like mark robins are managers that we should be going for? But why they are so less desirable than Marcus bignot I do not know, yeah we can say they are on their way down, but is our preferred dream candidate Adkins also not on his way down? Least some of these so called 'on their way down' league managers have experience against more tactically astute managers, professional and organised teams, and have experience of managing big (bigger than Solihull) football clubs. And for example mark robins has spent the majority of his career taking over teams who are in the bottom four of the league and rapidly taking them numerous points above relegation places, this is in proper leagues with proper teams and managers,  Now I'm not saying we should be going for one of these Managers, but what I'm saying is that I cannot believe people are suddenly thinking someone like Marcus bignot is the messiah and so much better than some of these candidates.... You all want a foreword thinking ambitions appointment yet you want someone who has only

I agree with some of what you say. Think using Mark Robins as an alternative sort of dilutes your point though. Bignot if chosen is an unproven risk which may turn out to be inspired or a disaster. It was a very good article which serves Bignot well PR-wise. I'm sure if every prospective candidate had such a good piece written about them opinions would be a little more divided than they are.

Anyway we know little or nothing about who is in the running and what their personal back stories are to be so definitive in making Bignot the clear and obvious choice.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 1, 2016, 6:08pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from TJ

well we aren't in the bottom four....
Posted by: TJ, November 1, 2016, 6:08pm; Reply: 99
yeah bigdog I'm not saying we should get robins at all, just trying to make a point that I'm finding it difficult to see why bignot is being looked upon as a really good candidate by many yet other such managers with league experience, managing bigger clubs, against better managers and teams, in the second and third tiers are being made out to be terrible candidates, and although I wouldn't personally choose robins, he was in the bottom four with Coventry, then got them pushing for play offs, took over Barnsley bottom and finished nine points safe, did relatively well with a Huddersfield team with one of the lowest budgets in the league at the time, I'm just saying he's got poor teams getting points in good leagues and so have many other ex league managers so they cannot be looked upon as such bad candidates when someone like bignot is being made out to be fantastic. I would like to reiterate that robins would probably not be in my top three he's just an example! but if it were to big bignot id back him to the end as I would any gtfc manager
Posted by: TJ, November 1, 2016, 6:10pm; Reply: 100
Yes Hagrid, but certain league managers have never ever had the opportunity to manage a team that's not towards the bottom end of the table, yet they have done well with these teams, and should not be looked upon as terrible candidates. and also for your information Hagrid, we are not a woman's football team or a part time men's team so that point is invalid
Posted by: Hagrid, November 1, 2016, 6:21pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from TJ
Yes Hagrid, but certain league managers have never ever had the opportunity to manage a team that's not towards the bottom end of the table, yet they have done well with these teams, and should not be looked upon as terrible candidates. and also for your information Hagrid, we are not a woman's football team or a part time men's team so that point is invalid

I never would have guessed
Posted by: Grantley, November 1, 2016, 6:22pm; Reply: 102
Hi Mark.
Posted by: southernmariner, November 1, 2016, 6:25pm; Reply: 103
Anybody out there thought Paul Doswell is a similar candidate to Bignot, both over achieving and both sold a player on to us.
Posted by: davmariner, November 1, 2016, 6:30pm; Reply: 104
Decent debate re. pros and cons. Not against Bignot but think TJ makes some good arguments regarding his lack of experience.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 1, 2016, 6:33pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from southernmariner
Anybody out there thought Paul Doswell is a similar candidate to Bignot, both over achieving and both sold a player on to us.

Bignot has a decent playing career, cannot say I recall Doswell as having any exposure to League football???
Posted by: Mariner55, November 1, 2016, 6:37pm; Reply: 106
In terms of who we're going to get, let's be fairly realistic: it's Grimsby Town we're talking about, not Inter Milan.  Talking of which ....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37830878

I'm going to start a Frank de Boer thread ....
Posted by: golfer, November 1, 2016, 6:41pm; Reply: 107
I think a lot of people are going for Bignot because they want someone with a bit of flare. Most of the other candidates are much of a muchness.Hurst played safe most of the time with his team selections and like for like substitutions. I would rather see a 4-4 draw instead of a 0-0 one or win 4-3 instead of 1-0. Admittedly he hasn't managed at this level but he already seems to have adapted to the level that we just managed to get out of. He has played at a higher level himself so it's not as though everything will be new to him. Don't forget that it was him who saw the potential in Omar and signed him from Hinckley, not the Grimsby Town manager. He has also had a taste of success and will be hungry for more. If we don't get him he's going to find fame elsewhere
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 1, 2016, 6:56pm; Reply: 108
Going from conference north as winners to the conference were solihull are in the bottom half shows the gap is quite big, then going to the football league to a team around the playoffs is a big big jump imo.

Im not trying to put a downer on it but solihull to grimsby is just to much of a jump for my liking ,paul hurst did ilkeston then boston then us, he had boston in a good position , i just dont know why we he is on the shortlist as he has done nothing to warrant to be on our radar.

From managing infront of a few hundred to nearly 5000 on a saturday is a jump to far right now and him moving on to a club say like tranmere in conference football to get a taste of fulltime football then onto league football if he does well would be the right move but not right now.

Just looking at the conference league table and solihulls position puzzles me even more as to why we are even considering him.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2016, 6:57pm; Reply: 109
What did the Midlands reporter have to say on Humberside?
Posted by: ginnywings, November 1, 2016, 7:14pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Going from conference north as winners to the conference were solihull are in the bottom half shows the gap is quite big, then going to the football league to a team around the playoffs is a big big jump imo.

Im not trying to put a downer on it but solihull to grimsby is just to much of a jump for my liking ,paul hurst did ilkeston then boston then us, he had boston in a good position , i just dont know why we he is on the shortlist as he has done nothing to warrant to be on our radar.

From managing infront of a few hundred to nearly 5000 on a saturday is a jump to far right now and him moving on to a club say like tranmere in conference football to get a taste of fulltime football then onto league football if he does well would be the right move but not right now.

Just looking at the conference league table and solihulls position puzzles me even more as to why we are even considering him.

You have completely ignored what he has to work with; something that is often overlooked. League position doesn't tell the whole story. You said in your own post that he is managing in front of a few hundred. What sort of budget do you think he has to work with?

Football is a simple game and some managers know how to organise and motivate a team better than others. The only thing that changes as you go up the leagues is the quality and fitness of players. I'm not touting him for the job, but the "lack of experience " argument is a red herring in my opinion.
Posted by: mariner91, November 1, 2016, 7:19pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from jonnyboy82

On the other hand you could argue that he's had an automatic promotion from the National League North with a tiny club, even for that level, that had money troubles on top of it. Hurst had only got Boston promoted from the league below the NL North via the play offs and Boston were a giant of a club at that level, regularly taking more fans away than most teams had at home. Hurst would have had one of, if not the, biggest budgets in the league below and only went up via the play offs whereas Bignot would have had one of the smallest budgets, without even having a contract and won the league at a canter scoring the most goals in the league in the process. His record since taking over has been 19th, 9th, 8th, 12th and 1st. Suggests he maybe struggled a bit at the start but had a steep learning curve.

I do agree that it is a big jump and being 15th in the NL isn't particularly impressive but they're a side with a very small budget and they're semi-professional coming up against a lot of professional outfits. They've had a couple of bad losses but they've also drawn with Lincoln who are second and only lost by a goal to moneybags FGR who are comfortably top of the table. That suggests to me that he's a capable coach and a decent tactician.

Given the circumstances he's managed them under and the minuscule budget he has no doubt worked with, he's an interesting proposition and definitely worth interviewing in my opinion. It would be a gamble but he's no mug when it comes to league football, he played over 400 games in the FL so I would imagine he has some idea about how to set up a team in L2.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from ginnywings

You have completely ignored what he has to work with; something that is often overlooked. League position doesn't tell the whole story. You said in your own post that he is managing in front of a few hundred. What sort of budget do you think he has to work with?

Football is a simple game and some managers know how to organise and motivate a team better than others. The only thing that changes as you go up the leagues is the quality and fitness of players. I'm not touting him for the job, but the "lack of experience " argument is a red herring in my opinion.

I don't see 'lack of experience' as the problem. It may be 'lack of experience managing better players' that's the problem. I haven't checked out Solihull's squad but if they haven't changed much from last season then that's two levels lower than we sit at present and I think we've all been quite surprised by the difference in one level let alone two.
Posted by: mariner91, November 1, 2016, 7:27pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't see 'lack of experience' as the problem. It may be 'lack of experience managing better players' that's the problem. I haven't checked out Solihull's squad but if they haven't changed much from last season then that's two levels lower than we sit at present and I think we've all been quite surprised by the difference in one level let alone two.

Surely it's more difficult to work with more limited players?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2016, 7:28pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Eddie Howe went straight in as Bournemouth manager in League Two, he didn't do too bad did he?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 7:37pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Eddie Howe went straight in as Bournemouth manager in League Two, he didn't do too bad did he?

Neil Woods at Grimsby Town?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2016, 7:46pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Neil Woods at Grimsby Town?
Russell Slade? Martin O'Neill? He also worked his way through non-league up the divisions.

No matter who is chosen as manager, there's a risk factor, no matter how much wealth of experience or not.  It's all a risk.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Cloudy
Do you have a plan B?
I guess they didn't have that question when it came to interviewing Paul Hurst?  ;D
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2016, 8:05pm; Reply: 118
25:30 seconds in, Solihull reporter for the Birmingham Mail talks about what Bignot does behind the scenes at Solihull Moors as Manager and Director of Football, how they play, abit of background stuff.

Link >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04bkly3
Posted by: golfer, November 1, 2016, 8:10pm; Reply: 119
Who would ask the questions and who would know if they were the right answers. Maybe we could ask Paul Hurst to sit in on the interviews  :)
Posted by: LH, November 1, 2016, 8:14pm; Reply: 120
It seems to me that it's been sorted and Bignot will be the new manager - why else would Humberside invite a Solihull reporter on? I suppose in the next few days Humberside might invite someone who knows a bit about the other front runners on but will they?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 1, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 121
Quite entertaining reading the fors and againsts of prospective managers and highlights that whoever gets the job is not going to be welcomed with open arms by all town fans.

Also indicates how difficult selecting the new guy will be and driving along today it crossed my mind howcwell Keith Curle is doing at Carlisle, by his own admission an alocoholic without a great managerial history how would his appointment have been received at the time?

Others have mentioned this in other threads but certain managers suit certain clubs, Eddie Howe being a perfect example given his career at Burnley, and there are many reasons why they succeeed and many why they fail including difficult/interfering Chairman, budgets, injuries and  tactics.

I like many want someone who can get us playing more entertaining football at home without leaving the defence wide open, not much to ask, oh and throw in the odd promotion!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Quite entertaining reading the fors and againsts of prospective managers and highlights that whoever gets the job is not going to be welcomed with open arms by all town fans.

Also indicates how difficult selecting the new guy will be and driving along today it crossed my mind howcwell Keith Curle is doing at Carlisle, by his own admission an alocoholic without a great managerial history how would his appointment have been received at the time?

Others have mentioned this in other threads but certain managers suit certain clubs, Eddie Howe being a perfect example given his career at Burnley, and there are many reasons why they succeeed and many why they fail including difficult/interfering Chairman, budgets, injuries and  tactics.

I like many want someone who can get us playing more entertaining football at home without leaving the defence wide open, not much to ask, oh and throw in the odd promotion!

There's so many pros and cons for so many. My only wish is that we get a manager who plays positively and plays his players in their favoured positions, oh, and doesn't ever jeopardise our League status again.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 1, 2016, 8:39pm; Reply: 123
Experience, experience, experience.

'We need someone who has experience of managing in League 2.'

When we wanted to get out of the Conference, we appointed manager(s) who didn't have experience of even managing in the Conference!

Sometimes you've got to look down to see what's coming up.

Solihull got promoted with naff all to work with. They're holding their own in a division full of ex-league teams with huge budgets compared to theirs and, by all counts, playing open games of football.

We know from our time in the Championship what it takes to get there and stay there - someone who battles hard, gets the best out of players and consistently beats the odds.

I *think* that Bignot has shown these assets in his time at Solihull. That's why we're interested. That's why we *should* be interested.

I completely understand the reservations fans may have. It is a risk - but then so is appointing a manager who's got league experience but also been relegated.

How many candidates will we be interviewing who'll have a sacking on their CV?

It's a good thread with some good debate. I'm not even saying Bignot would be my choice but I can absolutely see why he's a strong candidate and don't subscribe to the argument against at least feeling positive about such an appointment.
Posted by: TJ, November 1, 2016, 8:45pm; Reply: 124
If we go on his record only,and not this silly mr nice guy interview that anyone could do as a pr stunt, Marcus bignot has one promotion from the conference north (which took five years), meaning if he is such a good manager, why aren't you also saying the managers who got north ferriby, Maidstone United, boreham wood, sutton United, bromley etc promoted in the last couple of years should also be candidates?, many of which did so after less than 5 years and were in a better position in the conference after 15 games than Solihull are presently, and many of whom also have previous promotions at other non-league clubs???  I'm not saying they should be at all,but what I'm saying is Marcus bignot has only done what these managers have done (and in many cases actually had less success or the same success over a longer period), what makes him so special from the record he has because I'm sorry if I'm missing something I just can't see what makes him so special? What makes him the biggest up and coming talent in non league above all these other managers if you just go on their managerial record alone? I think people are getting brainwashed by the fact he spotted Bogle (not the only good player to come out of non league in the last five years) and has done a very nice fluffy newspaper article....
Posted by: supertown, November 1, 2016, 8:48pm; Reply: 125
Worst thing about this is the song!

Marcus bignots black n white army ........... nah
Posted by: Garth, November 1, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Russell Slade? Martin O'Neill? He also worked his way through non-league up the divisions.

No matter who is chosen as manager, there's a risk factor, no matter how much wealth of experience or not.  It's all a risk.

That's true look at Manchester United's  coach and he's the special  one

Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2016, 8:56pm; Reply: 127
Sorry TJ but he was operating on a budget that was probably in direct correlation to the crowds which were titchy. They also lost their best player to us in the close season and he would work his bottom off to get us higher up the ladder.
Posted by: lancspontooner, November 1, 2016, 9:00pm; Reply: 128
And he's got little Solihull into the FA Cup First Round. They play away at ....... Yeovil on Saturday. It's a sign! Be interesting to see how they get on. Maybe they will get the nailed on penalty decision that we didn't.
Posted by: mariner91, November 1, 2016, 9:10pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from TJ
if he is such a good manager, why aren't you also saying the managers who got north ferriby, Maidstone United, boreham wood, sutton United, bromley etc promoted in the last couple of years should also be candidates?, many of which did so after less than 5 years and were in a better position in the conference after 15 games than Solihull are presently,

North Ferriby had a lot of money pumped in to them by the Allam family and they're currently rock bottom of the league having scored 7 goals in 18 games. They finished 9 points behind Solihull.

Maidstone had attendances about 6 times bigger than Solihull so presumably had a much bigger budget. They were third in the NL South last year 13 points behind the winners Sutton and are currently below Solihull in the table.

Sutton won their league last season but it took their manager 8 seasons to get them promoted. They also get about double the attendances that Solihull do so probably had a bigger budget there too. Currently only 3 points above Solihull in the table.

Bromley also get about double in attendance as Solihull so presumably have a bigger budget. They won their league in 2015 but they didn't win by 9 points like Solihull did and they are currently below Solihull in the table.

Boreham Wood are an interesting one as they are the only side to probably have a similar budget. Went up via the play offs but then really struggled and finished in 19th after changing their manager during last season.

Some of the managers you mentioned did get promotion quicker than Bignot but nearly all of them did so with a much bigger budget and none of them did it so convincingly. None of them are/were doing significantly better than he is doing now in the NL either.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 1, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 130
Tj,they weren't only half the size of most of the clubs, they had gates of 2-300 and were almost bust. He has also had to create a structure from nothing.
You are unnecessarily disparaging about conference north.i think it may even harder to get out of conference north than the conference itself. Have you actually looked at the pub teams involved? Stockport, as big as us, Halifax FA trophy winners, darlo, Boston, fc Manchester and kiddy all capable of being top half conference. Conference regulars Nuneaton Tamworth alfreton, alty and Telford.money bag clubs like Salford fylde and Harrogate. A remarkable achievement to get them up
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 1, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from TJ
If we go on his record only,and not this silly mr nice guy interview that anyone could do as a pr stunt, Marcus bignot has one promotion from the conference north (which took five years), meaning if he is such a good manager, why aren't you also saying the managers who got north ferriby, Maidstone United, boreham wood, sutton United, bromley etc promoted in the last couple of years should also be candidates?, many of which did so after less than 5 years and were in a better position in the conference after 15 games than Solihull are presently, and many of whom also have previous promotions at other non-league clubs???  I'm not saying they should be at all,but what I'm saying is Marcus bignot has only done what these managers have done (and in many cases actually had less success or the same success over a longer period), what makes him so special from the record he has because I'm sorry if I'm missing something I just can't see what makes him so special? What makes him the biggest up and coming talent in non league above all these other managers if you just go on their managerial record alone? I think people are getting brainwashed by the fact he spotted Bogle (not the only good player to come out of non league in the last five years) and has done a very nice fluffy newspaper article....

Agree. I'd understand if he had turned Solihull into a team who were constantly battling it out for promotion in the division below but this would very clearly be the cheap option.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 1, 2016, 9:18pm; Reply: 132
I always thought TJ was the Lincoln fan or am I missing something?
Posted by: Grantley, November 1, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 133
Boreham Wood have money. Think they host Arsenal Ladies or similar? They also had a fairly high caliber of player last season.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2016, 9:22pm; Reply: 134
I think it would be an excellent appointment and with an official approach being made and a midlands reporter on Humberside, and the odds coming down drastically suggests it's more imminent than a probability.
Posted by: MidnightMariner, November 1, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Cloudy
I always thought TJ was the Lincoln fan or am I missing something?

No, your getting confused... thats where he shops TJ HUGHES lol
Posted by: Sigone, November 1, 2016, 9:31pm; Reply: 136
TJ Hooker?  :B
Posted by: TJ, November 1, 2016, 9:31pm; Reply: 137
if you guys think appointing a manager like bignot, who has only managed in the conference north and ladies football is the ambitious appointment we need now to grow the club both on the pitch and in terms of its background structure off the pitch (which quite frankly is so far behind many many lesser teams in our league) then I'm quite shocked
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 1, 2016, 9:37pm; Reply: 138
But he's an ambitious manager who can work on a budget and seemingly get the best out of his players, they shoudl have beaten us in the trophy last season only for that cheated James Alabi goal. He'd more than likely get the best out of Omar. He's also younger, Jones or Adkins won't be as motivated to do well because their bank accounts will be healthy enough as it is.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 1, 2016, 9:52pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Mariner_09
But he's an ambitious manager who can work on a budget and seemingly get the best out of his players, they shoudl have beaten us in the trophy last season only for that cheated James Alabi goal. He'd more than likely get the best out of Omar. He's also younger, Jones or Adkins won't be as motivated to do well because their bank accounts will be healthy enough as it is.

How the heck are you in a position to know how motivated Jones, Adkins, Bignot or anyone else is?
Posted by: Hertsmariner, November 1, 2016, 10:18pm; Reply: 140
I have a sneaking feeling Marcus will be appointed-and he'll work his socks off to prove himself at this level. He's evidently from the 'school of hard knocks' and has an indomitable spirit-just what we need. Having worked in a near-bankrupt club in Solihull, I think he'll also value, and be prudent with, the resources he's given. Having been mentored by Dario Gradi at Crewe, he'll also have learned a great deal about coaching and improving young players and playing football the way it should be played. He'll do for me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 1, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 141

My problem with Bignot is it would be such a big step up for him and therefore one hell of a gamble, I can see safer options in the betting.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 1, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from promotion plaice

My problem with Bignot is it would be such a big step up for him and therefore one hell of a gamble, I can see safer options in the betting.

Is moving up from the division below, such a big step up?
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2016, 11:03pm; Reply: 143
"Marcus Bignot" is an anagram of "scrotum in bag". He must have balls.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 1, 2016, 11:18pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from arryarryarry

Is moving up from the division below, such a big step up?

Yeah true, but they're ( Solihull Moors ) not exactly pulling any trees up in the National League are they like Danny Cowley did with limited resources at Braintree, so I have my doubts.

Posted by: forza ivano, November 1, 2016, 11:21pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yeah true, but they're ( Solihull Moors ) not exactly pulling any trees up in the National League are they like Danny Cowley did with limited resources at Braintree, so I have my doubts.

Slightly different as Devonshire had established them as a solid conference side. Cowley did well because he took them to a new level.proof of how well both did is shown by brain trees present plight!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 2, 2016, 5:48am; Reply: 146
Updated what Bignot has achieved during his playing and managerial career.  Also, his wife is a Goalkeeper coach at Arsenal Academy. (ohmy)
Posted by: oldun, November 2, 2016, 8:02am; Reply: 147
I am not saying it is a major consideration but he is a free agent and does not have a contract at Solihull. Says something about his commitment and of course no compensation is due. Apparently not only does he manage the team but also as Director of Football he is very involved with off field activities at the club.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 2, 2016, 8:04am; Reply: 148
Quoted from oldun
I am not saying it is a major consideration but he is a free agent and does not have a contract at Solihull. Says something about his commitment and of course no compensation is due. Apparently not only does he manage the team but also as Director of Football he is very involved with off field activities at the club.

Lesser workload ,more money and better prospects I cant imagine why he wouldn't want the job?
Posted by: Garth, November 2, 2016, 9:39am; Reply: 149
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Updated what Bignot has achieved during his playing and managerial career.  Also, his wife is a Goalkeeper coach at Arsenal Academy. (ohmy)

Looking at that its clear that where it matters most ie management, he has had outside of his club little or no experience (women`s football statistics is irrelevant IMO)

Bignot---inexperience, young and ambitious----- bit of a risk---7/10

Jones--- big name, experienced got a point to prove ----Safer hands---8/10

Just to add that my opinion of these two for manager fluctuates daily, wish it was over and done with
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 2, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 150
Quoted from Garth

Looking at that its clear that where it matters most ie management, he has had outside of his club little or no experience (women`s football statistics is irrelevant IMO)

Just to add that my opinion of these two for manager fluctuates daily, wish it was over and done with

My view is that the women's football is not irrelevant. Most people agree we need someone who has great people / communication skills. The fact he's done it in the men's and women's games suggests he has a very broad range of people skills, and can proclvide results with very different individuals.

I'm not saying he's my number one though, I'm like most in that my view seems to change daily. For now I love Dave Moore's black and white army!
Posted by: excusebeef, November 2, 2016, 3:47pm; Reply: 151
Ok so another poster told me to read this thread having asked a question about his credentials as a manager, and for the first time in my Fishy history I have actually thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Everyone has given honest and open opinions without the usual slagging each other off which is why sometimes I don't read every thread fully. I definitely agree with the majority about an up and coming, hungry management appointment. We've gone for league experience before and it didn't do us any favours. I would take the gamble on this one
Posted by: Mariner55, November 2, 2016, 5:05pm; Reply: 152
Thank you - I began this thread hoping it would be a positive one, not least because reading the Marcus Bignot interview he comes across as such a positive guy.  I did make a reference to us not falling for someone who talks a good game, but then thinking about it, we shouldn't underestimate that - a really positive and upbeat message could do have a great impact on the fans and maybe even help change the atmosphere at BP.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 2, 2016, 8:29pm; Reply: 153
This popped up as an alert from Solihull Moors facebook page in the last hour >> http://www.solihullmoorsfc.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=12438
Quoted from Solihull Moors - Official Website | Posted: 02/11/2016, 7:30pm
CLUB STATEMENT: MARCUS BIGNOT
*Solihull Moors issue update on manager Marcus Bignot*

Solihull Moors has granted permission to Grimsby Town to speak to Marcus Bignot about their vacant managerial position.

The Board wishes to place on record that whilst it would not wish to stand in the way of an individual's ambition, it is eager to retain the services of Bignot to continue the progression he has made at the club in his five-year tenure.

It is hoped that the talks will reach a swift resolution to ensure minimum disruption for all parties and the club will endeavour to update supporters in due course.

There will be no further comment until this matter is resolved.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 2, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 154
Ok..Ok..  lets say it is MB....i just wonder how Omar may feel about this....just because they were together at Solihull doesnt mean they got on like a house on fire does it ?
I hope they did, i hope MB could help Omar relax and bring more goals out of him...but there is a chance....it may be the other way around.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 2, 2016, 9:16pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Garth

How about a combination of both?
Posted by: Garth, November 3, 2016, 10:45am; Reply: 156
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How about a combination of both?

Like an arranged marriage so to speak, yeh! I can see that working ;D

Posted by: RichMariner, November 3, 2016, 10:48am; Reply: 157
Nice press release by Solihull. It's honest and upfront. Why couldn't we have said something like that when Hurst was rumoured to be talking to Shrewsbury?
Posted by: Henryscat, November 3, 2016, 12:15pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from moosey_club
Ok..Ok..  lets say it is MB....i just wonder how Omar may feel about this....just because they were together at Solihull doesnt mean they got on like a house on fire does it ?
I hope they did, i hope MB could help Omar relax and bring more goals out of him...but there is a chance....it may be the other way around.

Omar has "liked" the tweet from Solihull
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2016, 12:36pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Henryscat

Omar has "liked" the tweet from Solihull

(2guns)

Fair enough then.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 7:41pm