Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Do the supporters still back the Manager?
  View Results 0 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Vote of Confidence

This thread currently has 36,292 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 2, 2015, 3:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Harry Haddock

As Barralad pointed out, its the fact that this vote has occured after we'd lost. When have we ever had a vote following a win ? I guess it's because we're british as soon as we lose a game some people are already reaching for their strike banners

I dont ever recall a vote for PH to be given a contract extension after our trips to Wembley, or a statue of Alan Buckley to be built after we won promotion to the championship

Fair does, accepted admonishment. In mitigation i had a little man hammering away inside my head after downing an entire bottle of Spiced Rum at a barby last night and was a tad brittle when i posted. I probably should also apologise to my GF, who had to endure 5 Town fans dissecting Friday nights game in minute detail for hours on end.

As for the sea change, my brother is still as p1ssed off this morning as he was on Friday and a couple of Town fans i know in the builders merchants were not best pleased either. This defeat is taking some getting over it seems.

Would also like to add what an excellent post that was by diehardmariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 171
arryarryarry
November 2, 2015, 3:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Win, lose or draw will not change how I feel about Paul Hurst as manager and I have said as much from after the Halifax debacle, only promotion will.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 171
Mrs Doyle
November 2, 2015, 4:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
My main worry is we force or sack Hurst mid season he finds another club probably at this level but may be higher and half the squad including the likes of Pearson,Macca, Gowling, East,Podge et al set to follow him which is not unheard of.

After all he as the respect of the players there is no doubt about that in my mind.

Where would that leave us ......................set back three years at least with the best side I have seen since down here in tatters.

How would we feel about that? Just a thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 171
arryarryarry
November 2, 2015, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
My main worry is we force or sack Hurst mid season he finds another club probably at this level but may be higher and half the squad including the likes of Pearson,Macca, Gowling, East,Podge et al set to follow him which is not unheard of.

After all he as the respect of the players there is no doubt about that in my mind.

Where would that leave us ......................set back three years at least with the best side I have seen since down here in tatters.

How could all those players jump ship when under contract and if PH was to move to a higher club what would that teams fans think of the new manager bringing in a load of players from a lower league.

You could say that we might employ a manager who has failed to get out of the league below and just because the players liked him we would end up signing them all.

Re sort these words into a well known phrase or saying :-

cuckoo cloud land in living

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 171
Tommy
November 2, 2015, 4:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

If anything, the points you make here are reasons to sack Hurst mid-season rather than when the season has finished.

Sack him in the summer after a failed promotion attempt and most of the players will be out of contract. They'd be free to seek a new challenge or even follow Hurst to another club. We saw last season it only took a couple of players re-signing for us to get the rest to follow - it can just as easily go the other way. One of them decides we've had had a couple of goes at promotion and failed, his Manager's gone, doesn't know who new boss will be, so he signs for someone else. Then the rest think, "Oh it won't be the same with half the players leaving, I'm off too."

If Hurst was replaced mid-season, a new manager would come in with the same squad and have time to win over the players and make them believe in him. Players wouldn't be able to just follow Hurst to a new club if he got another job (both guarantee he will) because theyre under contract to us. Then come the summer when player contracts are expiring, they know where they stand, where the club stands and would have hopefully been impressed by the new Manager who took over from Hurst.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 171
gaz57
November 2, 2015, 4:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tommy

If anything, the points you make here are reasons to sack Hurst mid-season rather than when the season has finished.

Sack him in the summer after a failed promotion attempt and most of the players will be out of contract. They'd be free to seek a new challenge or even follow Hurst to another club. We saw last season it only took a couple of players re-signing for us to get the rest to follow - it can just as easily go the other way. One of them decides we've had had a couple of goes at promotion and failed, his Manager's gone, doesn't know who new boss will be, so he signs for someone else. Then the rest think, "Oh it won't be the same with half the players leaving, I'm off too."

If Hurst was replaced mid-season, a new manager would come in with the same squad and have time to win over the players and make them believe in him. Players wouldn't be able to just follow Hurst to a new club if he got another job (both guarantee he will) because theyre under contract to us. Then come the summer when player contracts are expiring, they know where they stand, where the club stands and would have hopefully been impressed by the new Manager who took over from Hurst.

Well said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 171
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2015, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm genuinely unsure what I want at the minute.

I regard myself a pro-Hurst kinda guy.  I like the way he spots talented players, I like the way the builds a dressing room spirit and I like the fact he's at the helm when we've had this (generally) feel good factor around the place.

I also regard myself quite anti-modern football, sacking your manager when you're in a decent league position with less than half of the season is part of that ideology for me.  I'm a big, big believer in stability producing results.  This 18 month-2 year lifespan of a modern manager really winds me up.  

That said, this is now the side that Hurst built. Everyone player are ones he's either brought into the club or renewed their contracts on his own accord.  If ever there was a squad to judge him on, it's this one.  

Added to that I am disappointed with the way we've not kicked on from the early season promise.  Early results were unexpected but the performances were exciting and I honestly believe had we stuck with the approach, we would be sitting very pretty at the top of the table now.  I don't know if Hurst bottled it or just reverted to type but we're a different creature from the one we saw in those opening weeks.  

I don't know if it's the same but before the weekend we were top scorers and best goal difference.  We can't be that far off, just based on that solely.  We can clearly score goals and any combination of our back four is pretty impressive.  I would go as far as saying we could almost put out a 'reserve' back four and it would be better than most at this level.  

Tactically I think Hurst is dreadful.  It's his biggest flaw.  He doesn't seem to anticipate and when he does react it's far too late.  His subs are so predictable, even down to the minute that they will take place.  East did a decent job on Friday, but just like Saturday at Harrogate, he didn't look like a winger to me.  He's also our best right-back so we lose that impact of him running deep from there.  I'm not Mackreth's biggest fan but he did well by all accounts when coming on at Torquay and then scored twice for the reserves, why pick a full-back over him?    I suspect that Hurst is putting East on the wing to give McKeown an outlet on goalkicks now Monkhouse is out the side.  Surely a better option is to ditch that crappy tactic?  Just launch it down the middle, strikers make a nuisance of themselves even if they don't win the ball, midfield set-up to win the second ball.  

The problem remains the midfield.  Always has been, I hope it always won't be.  Disley is superb, he's the best individual central midfielder in the league.  He's one man.  Clay is great on his day, which is one in three.  When Disley has a bad game, we struggle.  We can't rely on one man to carry us every game.

Biggest irony on Friday was I thought we lacked two main things.  1) Intensity up front and 2) Someone in midfield who would lift their head up and look forward with the ball.  The two things Tomlinson and Robinson brought to the side.  

The underlying thought I've had over the weekend is maybe we're just not that good?   I believed in the summer that we had built a superb squad.  The fact we're in November and bemoaning the lack of a creative midfield influence and alternative option up front suggest it isn't that superb.  I do believe that 4-4-2 as a system seriously hampers us.  We've got a player in Arnold who would the natural link-up between attack and defence, he's wasted in a wide position - even with the freedom he has to cut inside.  

Is disagreeing with the managers tactics enough to warrant sacking him?  Not for me.  I want us to change the attitude we approach games, or rather go back to something like what we started the season with.  We don't have a swagger or a mean streak.  I want us to pummel teams, smell blood and then absolutely rip them apart.  I understand why Hurst felt we needed to adjust earlier in the season when we became a bit leaky at the back, I think he's gone too far though.  The shackles need taking off.

Great post. I'm a shackles off kind of guy (!) too. I totally agree with the word dreadful to describe PH's tactics, and I would add the reluctance to make a substitution before 70 minutes to that.

That said, he signs good players and he keeps good players but we seem to always go back to the two weaknesses - midfield and our paranoia about what teams can do to us. I like Craig Clay but he's way too inconsistent and Scott Brown always seems to need 3 touches when 2 will do. I truly believe that this is the best squad we've had since the Slade squad but the manager who put it together doesn't seem to know what to do with it - it's one hell of a quandary.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 171
chaos33
November 2, 2015, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Think it was a good, balanced contribution to the thread from DHM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 171
rancido
November 2, 2015, 5:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

I disagree because it's not true. You have absolutely no idea how many of those 3 thousand want a change of manager. You are implying that only people on the fishy want a change but everyone i speak to wants it and none of them use the fishy. It's certainly not a tiny minority for sure.

The original statement read " this vote means nothing and is only a tiny percentage of the GTFC populous ". The statement was referring to the vote and is correct in that context. It doesn't matter how many fans you have spoken to the vote refers to The Fishy and that remark was about The Fishy. Up to typing this there have been 137 votes cast and 50% of those don't support PH. If you take a GTFC populous of 3,000 then only those on the Fishy count in the vote , that's why it's a vote on The Fishy. The total Fishy vote is 137 which represents 4.56% of a GTFC populous of 3,000. Of those 137, 68 want PH out which represents 2.266% of that 3,000 which is only a " tiny percentage of the GTFC populous ". If you were to do a poll on the 3,000 then that would be a totally different matter but this poll is only on The Fishy.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 171
friskneymariner
November 2, 2015, 5:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Not made my mind up about P.H. and his midfield, is he being obdurate or does he just not see what the world and his dog sees,  that we have been weak in midfield since the beginning of the seasons,he has not done anything except bring Robinson in who clearly was not the answer.

To me his persistent failure to address this,is why we cannot progress any further.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 171
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Vote of Confidence

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.